How to run in your engine

Post questions, advice and pictures of Engine conversions here
Gunta
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: 1996 80 series Land Cruiser VX 4500 EFI UK Import. Long range tank, Iron man suspension, ARB Bullbar, Front and rear diff locks, 33" BFG muds, Snorkel and attitude.

How to run in your engine

Post by Gunta »

I have seen many topics on how to run in your engine and there are many school's of thought. The one I found very interesting was the one where the engine was driven hard as the the author explains over here.

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I spoke to a pilot friend of mine and he says this is the same way they run in their engines. Basically what they are saying that if run in slowly the rings dont bed in properly and get glazed because they are not forced up against the cylinder walls. If you drive it hard for the first 20 miles the compression forces air behind the rings bedding the rings in properly and they say your engine should make more power and use less oil. Another mate of mine was also telling me that when Porsche drive the cars of the floor they take it for a hard test drive.
Any thought out there. I tried looking for previous post on running in an engine but could not find any.
Last edited by Gunta on Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Worry about the things you can do something about, If you can't don't worry.
Live life to the fullest with no regrets.
Petrusd
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Stellenbosch
Vehicle: 1997 2.4 Hilux DC 4x4 / Yamaha Motorfiets

Re: How to run in your engine

Post by Petrusd »

"Drive it like you stole it"
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

I've heard of this 'school of thought' before, and have to agree that there is merit in the logic, but would be hesitant to do this with a motor of mine. I personally don't believe that the rings will 'glaze' so quickly with a slow run in :think: ..... just keep it below 6½ thousand revs for the first 30 minutes! :twisted: :D:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Maddoglips
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: P.E.
Vehicle: Raider 2.2 4x4; Mikem 50mm raised suspension, long range tank, Monroe gasses all round.

Post by Maddoglips »

Mark my 2CW

Intial start, let engine warm up - cut out and check levels and for leaks - let engine cool down

If all ok, take vehicle for drive of 100k's in town and again return to check all items for leaks,levels loosening ect.... and let cool down.

Take vehicle out again, run in town till at running temp, then hit free way keeping her at low revs for awhile and gradually build by a thou, run her there in top gear for roughly 3/4ks and bring her down by half to 1k again and hold for 2km's

Repeat and at each time increase by a thou over the previous max till you at your happy/max rev spot on the engine and then park up have a few beers and let her cool down while checking over everything again.

Time to go home, start and run her gently till warm and then drive her at high/normal driving revs and walla she's run in.

Never had a prob so far but every 1 has there own method so I'm sure you gonna hear alot still.

Good luck Zane
It's better to Burn Out then Fade Away.
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy

Post by ChrisF »

Various programs on Discovery has already shown how a BRAND NEW vehicle gets put on a dyno and pushed HARD - some for a few seconds, some for a few minutes.

YET, most owner manuals tells you how to run in your new engine - on page 200 of the manual ... go figure

Mostly it warns against TWO things:
1) low speed in a high and labouring the engine.
2) extended periods at any given speed / engine rpm. a new engine NEEDS to move through the rev range continually.

PERSONALLY - I take it carefully for the first few hundred kilometer, and no "robot to robot" stuff for the first 1000 km. YET, when I do get to a down hill with no other traffic I gently accelerate and increase the speed as far as possible - thus the engine gets to "breath" without labouring.
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Post by Mr_B »

When I rebuilt my tweaked 4Y I did alot of research... finally used the method here:

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

Unconventional, but worked very well!
Gunta
Vehicle: 1996 80 series Land Cruiser VX 4500 EFI UK Import. Long range tank, Iron man suspension, ARB Bullbar, Front and rear diff locks, 33" BFG muds, Snorkel and attitude.

Post by Gunta »

well its 50/50 with the comments. I have to say I have re built a few cars now and all of them except the last one, a 16v golf which I re built and stroked to 2.1L, blue printed, knife edged crank a, lightened flywheel and solid lifters in. that golf I pretty much gave it horns from the time I warmed it up. I had it on the Dyno and it was pushing 110kw on the wheels. my fuel consumption on the open road was around 14km/l which was incredible considering its power. I have to say it never used a drop of oil and revved easily to 8500 as smooth as a bird. that is why I have had thought about running it in the same way.
I plan to dyno it pretty soon, so I will see if it works.
Gunta

Post by Gunta »

Mr B that is the same website that I put the link on. I am glad you have also tried it. How many km have you done now and have you had it on the dyno. From what I have heard you should get between 5 and 10% more power.
kfxnando
Town: Germiston
Vehicle: Ford V6 3.4 Courrier soon to be powered by Yamaha!! Jeep GC 4.7 V8, Aygo broken traded for a Kia Picanto.2ex, 2012 Jeep GC 5.7 V8 Ovrrland

Post by kfxnando »

regardless of how one runs the motor in!!

upon start up, keep the revs above 2000rpm, for two minutes!!
reason to bed in the cam bearing!!

beyond that with the running in it depends on the type of materials that one is dealing with, like the info say!!
also have that link saved!!!

drive
Petrusd wrote:"Drive it like you stole it"

agree!!
enjoy!
http://www.youtube.com/user/kfxnando" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://community.webshots.com/user/kfxnando" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://s538.photobucket.com/albums/ff343/kfxnando/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Gunta

Post by Gunta »

Well guys this is what I did. Started the motor and let her run for 20min and checked for leaks and noises. Fan was not coming on (forgot to connect the 2 wires on sender unit) fixed that and everything was looking great. Took it on the road and went through the gears to about 5500 rpm. Put it on the dyno and set up the fuel mixures and timing and gave it horns. Motor is pumping out 82kw on the wheels and the torque curve is flat with 90% coming in at 1500rpm. Took it on the road and gave it stick and it runs like a baby.
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

Took it on the road and gave it stick and it runs like a baby.
All wet and smelly?

:twisted: :twisted:

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

kfxnando
Vehicle: Ford V6 3.4 Courrier soon to be powered by Yamaha!! Jeep GC 4.7 V8, Aygo broken traded for a Kia Picanto.2ex, 2012 Jeep GC 5.7 V8 Ovrrland

Post by kfxnando »

Gunta wrote:Well guys this is what I did. Started the motor and let her run for 20min and checked for leaks and noises. Fan was not coming on (forgot to connect the 2 wires on sender unit) fixed that and everything was looking great. Took it on the road and went through the gears to about 5500 rpm. Put it on the dyno and set up the fuel mixures and timing and gave it horns. Motor is pumping out 82kw on the wheels and the torque curve is flat with 90% coming in at 1500rpm. Took it on the road and gave it stick and it runs like a baby.

82kw!! to some might sound little, however prefer a realistic number to inflated numbers!!
take note that a 3.4L V6 has only around 53kw/71rwhp

allow me to have some fun here pls!!

82kw on the wheels at JHB, by the way, where did you have it dyno??

4x4s have a loss of 39%
82kw on wheels = 134.43kw at flywheel
134.43kw on motor at altitude = 170kw at the motor at sea level

howz that sound, howz that sound compared to the original specs??

ok!!
have ans my own questions, google works great!! :laugh2: :laugh2:
from wikipedia
The 7M-GE was produced from 1986 through 1992. Output was 190-204 hp (142-152 kW) at 6000 rpm and 185-196 ft·lbf (250-265 Nm) at 4800 rpm.
will presume in this case a full unrestrictive exhaust system that the original one did not have, and a better EFI then the original one!!

:beach: :beach:
http://www.youtube.com/user/kfxnando" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://community.webshots.com/user/kfxnando" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://s538.photobucket.com/albums/ff343/kfxnando/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Gunta

Post by Gunta »

You are a 100% correct there. A 2.7 only makes about 67kw on the wheels. Mine is stock standard with branches and balanced motor. I replaced my gas flowed head with a good spare I had as the other one was getting a bit thin and was not in great condition. So I went for reliability. I must add that it was pumping out 82kw with the gas flowed head and runing a Dictator and the same with the Gotech. So I am pretty pleased that it is running the same with standard management and head. The balancing must have made a difference as well. She has never been this smooth, and there is heaps of torque.
Attachments
This is the dyno run. You will see the increase in torque after the CO's were adjusted.
This is the dyno run. You will see the increase in torque after the CO's were adjusted.
Cres
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: JHB
Vehicle: Cressida 2JZ , Lexus IS200 Sport , Hilux s/c 3.0D4D 4x4, Hilux d/c SFA 7MGTE

Post by Cres »

I know that dyno it doesn't give free power that is very good power congrats. You can add another 5-10kw if you go to another dyno.
Rooies
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Strand
Vehicle: 1994 2.4i (22RE) D/C Raider 4X4

Post by Rooies »

You guys have me coinfused now. Do you want to tell me that my dyno reading isnt accurate. Ou ROOIES have done 162 000km not bad for a 1994 2.4 (22R). He is still stock standard besides the Brospeed branch & powerflow exhaust. According to the book he should have 80Kw & 183 Nm. I also average between 7.2km/lt and 7.4km/lt. Filled up yesterday and got 7.35km/lt. Speedo almost 100% correct.

ROOIES: 1994 2.4i (22RE) Raider D/C - 200 000kms - Brospeed Branch & Powerflow Exhaust
MIKEM Suspension & Gabriel Safari Shocks - "31 BF Goodrich AT - GOMAD Aluminium Canopy
Melvill & Moon Seat Covers - Safari Snorkel - Bushwakka Weekender Offroad Trailer

Gunta

Post by Gunta »

Hi Rudi, 82kw is on the flywheel. A 2.4 pushes in the region of 49kw on the wheels and whith a gas flowed head and branches around 60kw on the wheels.
kfxnando

Post by kfxnando »

Cres wrote:I know that dyno it doesn't give free power that is very good power congrats. You can add another 5-10kw if you go to another dyno.
dont meant to start any thing however this is where the issues with dynos start!!
what is the point to go to another dyno to get another 5-10kw!!
you wont be getting that 5-10kw, all you will be getting is a BS number to fool your self and your friends!!
a dyno can NOT give you extra power!! a dyno is a tuning tool!! it can not create power that is not there to start off with!!

Rooies wrote:You guys have me coinfused now. Do you want to tell me that my dyno reading isnt accurate. Ou ROOIES have done 162 000km not bad for a 1994 2.4 (22R). He is still stock standard besides the Brospeed branch & powerflow exhaust. According to the book he should have 80Kw & 183 Nm. I also average between 7.2km/lt and 7.4km/lt. Filled up yesterday and got 7.35km/lt. Speedo almost 100% correct.

again one needs to ware of the dyno operator!! hence why there are VERY few dyno operators that I trust!!!
best is to rather stick to what gets to the wheels and not start to add compensation numbers for temp air pressure and transmission looses!!
the dyno operator does not know the condition of the box transfer case or diff to be able to add the correct correction factors!!

think you are at sea level!! (dyno chart details also indicate)
and if you say according to the book then that will be at the flywheel

so lets go through the same exercise as earlier!!
80kw - 39%(general loss for a 4x4)
=48.8kw on the wheels!!
Gunta points to 82kw - 39% =50kw
numbers close enough

dont know these vehicles so going on what I read here!!

then free up the breathing with branches and presume full low back pressure exhaust system a head job and the 60kw sounds pretty on the money!!
think of it this way that is a 20% increase in power!! that is very noticeable when driving!!

so lets work on a nice round number of 50Kw on the wheels!!
presume that those vehicles did not have cats in the system
so with a nice set of branches and full system, would say between 10-12 %
that would take the numbers to 55-56kw

if you think that is bad go look and see what My 3.4 has at altitude!!

enjoy!! :beach: :beach:
Gunta

Post by Gunta »

Fernando, what is your 3.4 pushing?
kfxnando

Post by kfxnando »

Gunta wrote:Fernando, what is your 3.4 pushing?
sadly not sure!!

can only estimate!!
had a oil leak, and dyno operator would of chased me out if I had peed oil all over the show!!
oil leaking fixed, however not going to bother as the 3.4 is coming out soon to start the Lexus conversions!!

can however work on this!!
my sierra 3.0 went from 76rwhp to 108rwhp!! original 103kw flywheel after mods around 147kw
with motor overhaul, cam branches exhaust and a porting job by me, kept original compression!!
using the numbers that me has been discussing all the numbers work out, witch ever way one looks at it!!

so looking at the 3.4
it now has a cam, when I pulled the motor out and did seals and gaskets and recon stock heads . . . . . . .
stock 108kw - 39% loos (4x4) = 65.88kw RW will work with 66kw
66kw then to altitude 54kw RW
add branches and exhaust (dual 57mm right through) will still use the 12% gain although it could be more = 60.48kw RW
add cam its a Lamco 79(yep he is still around have his contact details) lets say 8% gain 65.3kw on the wheels!!
about 87.5RWHP

now me know that these numbers are out!! as the 3.4l is detuned out the factory, long story to post here
follow the link for more info http://www.kfxnando.com/viewtopic.php?f ... c6a1537979" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
so the cam would of made a bigger then normal difference!!
and it sounds so sweet now!! :twisted: :twisted:
would however say that the 54kw at altitude at the wheels would be pretty accurate

where in Johannesburg are you??
Gunta

Post by Gunta »

My office is in Bryanston, but I live out near Lanseria in Doornrandje.
Cres
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Vehicle: Cressida 2JZ , Lexus IS200 Sport , Hilux s/c 3.0D4D 4x4, Hilux d/c SFA 7MGTE

Post by Cres »

kfxnando wrote:
Cres wrote:I know that dyno it doesn't give free power that is very good power congrats. You can add another 5-10kw if you go to another dyno.
dont meant to start any thing however this is where the issues with dynos start!!
what is the point to go to another dyno to get another 5-10kw!!
you wont be getting that 5-10kw, all you will be getting is a BS number to fool your self and your friends!!
a dyno can NOT give you extra power!! a dyno is a tuning tool!! it can not create power that is not there to start off with!!

Hi Fernando i didnt say you will get more power all i said that dyno is a bit selfish on power readings if you make good power on that dyno your car is strong. Oh BTW bme dyno is a brake dyno.
Gunta

Post by Gunta »

Oh BTW bme dyno is a brake dyno.[/quote]

Whats the difference?
Cres
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Cres »

It gets tuned under load and not inertia
CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Post by CasKru »

Maar my vraag is hoekom sal mens nou in jou engine wil hardloop? Jy gaan probably jou kop stamp as jy dit try :twisted:
To God be the glory
Gunta

Post by Gunta »

Cres wrote:It gets tuned under load and not inertia
What is the object of that and what is the benefit?
kfxnando

Post by kfxnando »

hi Mark

well at least you are not too far from the dyno that I have used and grown to trust!! he is in Brackpan, however you dyno operator seems to be fine!!

then on the inertia dyno, it uses accelaration times to work out power, from my experiance they are what I call happy dynos, meaning they give bigger numbers then reality!!
had my bikes on inertia dyno and got happy numbers that I know are not real!! my experiance!!

a break dyno, physically brakes the rollers that the car is turning to simulate road load conditions!!
with a load dyno, the dyno operator can hold at a certain revs and step it up to chech it all out in steps!!

need to go will post some later!! at work still!!
Gunta

Post by Gunta »

When I had my factory in Brakpan in 1990, I used 2 guys at the time, Sabie Coetzee and Clive Wesson. Sabie is still there almost 20yrs later.
kfxnando

Post by kfxnando »

Gunta wrote:When I had my factory in Brakpan in 1990, I used 2 guys at the time, Sabie Coetzee and Clive Wesson. Sabie is still there almost 20yrs later.
yep, Sabie is the one that I have used for almost 20 years, yep pretty close to 20 years!!
those were the days, the days when the guys would come from Durban to dyno their cars by Sabie!!
the days when we would take our cars for a dyno and by early evenings the wifes were phoning the hospitals couz we were so into chit chat at "nitro performance" and the wifes though that we had wraped the cars around a pole or something!! :lmao: :lmao:
no cell phones those days!!!! HeeeeHA!
Sabie is a great guy, and always willing to help and straight forward!! and me very much trust his dyno numbers!!
for some reason have not forgotten his number!!
011 740 1330 :laugh2: :laugh2:
those days used to have a 2.8GTX skyline with 210RWHP for those days it was FAST!! and even today its enough to hand it out to the M3 boys!! :laugh2:

for the cherry on the cake, he got that Datson 1200 to 8.6sec 1/4mile time with a Ford V6
and for the Toyota guys that same vehicle is now getting(should be done by now) a 7GM if me dont have the motors confused!!
that would be the straight 6 with turbo and Nos!!

last point, his dyno is a load dyno!!

me need to go visit there again!! soon!!
Gunta

Post by Gunta »

I had a golf 16v bored to 2l and stroked to 2.1l with solid lifters. It was pumoing out 110kw on the wheels for a normally asperated motor back in 95. I miss that golf :beg:
kfxnando

Post by kfxnando »

can believe that you miss it!!
the only thing fast that I have had for a long time has been the bike!! however that is different!!
mow with the jeep, often wonder how did I ever live with out the extra power!!
now there is a big itch all over again to build something again!! :twisted: :twisted:
and the plans could change all over again!!! eish!! :twisted: :twisted:
Gunta

Post by Gunta »

My next project is going to involve a 427cu V8 :boss:
ThysdJ
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Post by ThysdJ »

'n volle 7 liter?? :shock: :shock: :shock:
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
Gunta

Post by Gunta »

Thats the one, there's no substitute for cubes.
ThysdJ

Post by ThysdJ »

Tell VW that.. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: What are you going to drop the big block into? :wink2:
Thys de Jager

Gunta

Post by Gunta »

The old Ford F250 4x4
ThysdJ

Post by ThysdJ »

So ja! That will work well.. :thumbup: :thumbup:
Thys de Jager

Gunta

Post by Gunta »

My last F250 had the 351cu which I sold in 97. I am itching to do another one again but a big foot.
ThysdJ

Post by ThysdJ »

What mods are you going to make to the 427?
Thys de Jager

Gunta

Post by Gunta »

Edelbrock manifolds and a 750 double barrel Holley carb, balanced motor. I have even been toying with the idea of putting that motor in a 80 series cruiser.
ThysdJ

Post by ThysdJ »

Cool stuff. I want to do my Chevy 350 like that too, except I am going to EFI it with a multicoil setup... Already got most of the parts including the Edelbrock intake manifold. :thumbup: :thumbup:

An 80 series would be awesome with that motor, add suckers to the tyres and youll be able to drive up sky-skrapers.. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Thys de Jager

Gunta

Post by Gunta »

Thats exactly what I had in mind. The 80 series is a machine with awesome articulation and with 2 lockers it should be unstoppable.
That would be my ultimate vehicle. I just need to find a decent cruiser now.
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Mr_B »

A few months ago I assisted Hoppy road tuning a Cruiser(60 series IIRC)... newly fitted with a fuel injected chev LT1 engine... from the Z28 camaro...

That's one awesome engine, I never knew a chev 5.7L could rev so freely... with 220kw on tap, the heavy cruiser body was propelled around like a lightweight gokart! Lekker!
ThysdJ

Post by ThysdJ »

What was the torque figures on that motor B? :twisted:
Thys de Jager

Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Mr_B »

Thys, I'm not entirely sure which generation LT1 is was, here are the stats from WikiPedia:

The 1992 LT1 in the Y-body was factory rated at 300 hp (220 kW) and 330 lb·ft (447 N·m). 96 LT1 Y-bodies were rated at 300 hp (220 kW) and 340 lb·ft (461 N·m). The 93-95 F-bodies were rated at 275 horsepower (205 kW) and 325 lb·ft (441 N·m), while the 96-97 cars were rated at 285 horsepower (213 kW) and 335 lb·ft (454 N·m). The 96-97 WS6 and SS F-bodies were rated at 305 hp (227 kW). The 94-96 B and D-body version was rated at 260 horsepower (190 kW) and 330 lb·ft (447 N·m).

Whichever one is was, it was alot more powerful than the Lexus V8, my gut feel is that it could have been the 220kw - 447nm version.
ThysdJ

Post by ThysdJ »

powerful stuff... but the sound is all I am interested in really... :shock: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Thys de Jager

Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Mr_B »

Then Thys... this video clip was made for you:

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/339596/to ... v8_sounds/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ThysdJ

Post by ThysdJ »

awesome... :twisted: :twisted:
Thys de Jager

Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Mr_B »

ThysdJ wrote:awesome... :twisted: :twisted:
MTFBWY! :thumbup:
ThysdJ

Post by ThysdJ »

AWY2 :thumbup:
Thys de Jager

Gunta

Post by Gunta »

What management system did you use?
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Mr_B »

IIRC a Dicktator, the advanced unit... worked flipping well... yes even I was surprised...
Gunta

Post by Gunta »

With the dictator I am sure he is doing 2km/l
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Mr_B »

I'm running a Dicktator, get around 7.5km/l... what's wrong with the Dicktator in terms of fuel consumption?
Gunta

Post by Gunta »

Running a std Dictator in my 7mge I got 5.2km/l so I was wondering what you would get with a V8. I get almost 7km/l with original ecu after I took out the Dictator.
Kaspaas
Town: Wellington
Vehicle: 1998 Land Cruiser 105series GX

Post by Kaspaas »

Interesting facts Mark!

:thumbup:
1998 Toyota land Cruiser 105 series. 4.2 D

"I am human, I make mistakes, and that is okay, I have my own permission."

Return to “Engine conversions (Lexus/7M-GE/3RZ-FE etc)”