Engine conversion

Post questions, advice and pictures of Engine conversions here
Klaus
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Hilux

Engine conversion

Post by Klaus »

Earlier the year we purchased a Hilux 4x4 - 2.2 - 1987 model. This vehicle was well maintained and has a complete history of all the services and repairs done to it. The reason for the purchase of the older model is, our daughter studies photography and the family car suffered due to some of the road conditions.

Where I need guidance and advise is, the vehicle was originally fitted with a diesel motor and the previous owner converted to petrol. It currently has the 4Y motor and runs very well, a bit thirsty and underpowered and therefore call it the "Esel" .

It is my view the owner who had changed from the diesel motor to petrol, never took into consideration the toque between the two motors. One of the ideas playing around in my mind is to replace the 4Y and fit the 7M-GE motor. Is there any advise that could be given as to what to look out for in terms of adapter plates etc, etc?
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: Engine conversion

Post by Mud Dog »

My advice is to stay with the 4Y .... a somewhat underrated motor IMO. Yes they're slow and thirsty, but 'Esel' (Donkey) describes it perfectly. There may have been a difference in the diff ratios between the diesel and petrol versions ... not sure, but either way it's probably not worth changing them now. ;-)
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Spartan
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Vanderbijlpark
Vehicle: 98 LTD Hilux 4x4 SFA, 2JZ GE L6 VVT-i 3.0i, Bilstein shox, OME and a Land Cruiser 79 series

Post by Spartan »

I installed the 2JZ GE which is the upgrade of the 7M, You don't need any adapters get the original 7M bell housing, clutch and fly-wheel it bolts straight onto your stock gearbox. ;-)
IMO get a gotech ECU, thats what I am using and have no problem with it. The 7M is a good engine but there are a few things to look for when buying the engine. Personally I will take the 2JZ GE hands down. You are welcome to come and have a look at a few installations here in VDBP.
MOBILITATE VINCERE
Spartan
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Post by Mr_B »

Unless you are a 4x4 enthusiast with lots time and money, I don't think it's worth it... the 7M will probably give you the same fuel consumption as the 4Y, but it's going to set you back 30K!
Klaus
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Hilux

Post by Klaus »

Thanks guys for the quick response, much appreciated.

Return to “Engine conversions (Lexus/7M-GE/3RZ-FE etc)”