niclemaitre
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Stellenbosch
Vehicle: 99 IFS DC 4x4

4Y to diesel or something else

Post by niclemaitre »

Hi there

This is my first post on this forum, so please excuse any noob mistakes...

I've found a great deal on a 1990 2.2 4Y 4x4 Hilux, but from what I can gather the 4Y is really thirsty and doesn't really have enough power. So my question is: Would it be a good idea to replace the 4Y with another engine like the 2.5 D4D to reduce fuel consumption (and diesel is cheaper still) and get better performance? Or am I heading down the wrong road here and would it be better to do something else, like EFI it?

Thanks
Nic
Happy trails
Nic

SFA '97 DC - affirmatively shopped
SFA '87 DC "Rooies" - sold
IFS '99 DC "Benny"
Royco
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Vehicle: '09 D4D 3.0 Raider 4x4 D/Cab
Club VHF Licence: X88

Re: 4Y to diesel or something else

Post by Royco »

Hi Nic. :wave:
Welcome to the forum. Nice to see another Stellies guy. :thumbup:
I'm sure the fundies will be able to advise ... This is the best place to ask questions!!
Image Image Image Image
Andre du preez
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: somerset west
Vehicle: hilux 2.2

Post by Andre du preez »

Hi ,NIc

Ek het n 4y en ek moet se hulle is swaar..In die dorp is dit regtig erg. Maar ek het al op trip gekry 7.5 en tot 8.2 spoed bande en gewig soos roofracks en tents,maak n verskil en ook cab se c.o moet reg gestel wees.

By gese 4y sal jou nie los nie, en is ook nie duur teen oor diesel om aan te werk nie.
Scorpion
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Emmarentia
Vehicle: 1988 Hilux 4x4 D/C with more attitude than Mike Tyson

Post by Scorpion »

Nic, that all depends on what you want to use your Lux for and your personal preference. Conversions rarely make any financial sense. You will NEVER make up the cost with savings on fuel, even if it is significantly lighter. How long will it take you to SAVE R30,000 - R60,000 over and above your normal bill?

HOWEVER, I LOVE my Lexus, even with all the teething problems. I bought the van for R40k from the first owner and have spent WELL in excess of R100k (don't tell SWAMBO! :beg: ). Even though my fuel consumption has gone from about 4,5km/l to about 8 km/l on the open road, the savings will not pay for the cost of the conversion. (and besides - who doesn't want to use the extra power...? :twisted: (And then consumption can drop to 3 km/l... :shock: )
1988 Hilex D/C 4x4 (Import spec), Lexus V8; Marlin Crawler; Custom Suspension: front and new 4 link in the rear; Disc Brake conversion rear; 35" Cooper STT tyres; Xenon lights; Custom bullbar;Next? Aircon; new front seats, redo the whole interior in nice soft leather, Respray, Double Lockers
1978 Land Cruiser HJ45
1971 Mercedes Benz 280S Automatic
2011 Land Cruiser 79 V6 (60th Anniversary Edition)
niclemaitre
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by niclemaitre »

Ok, so bad idea then, right... How about the EFI route instead? Is there somewhere in the Cape Town area I could get it done professionally or is it a strictly DIY job?
Happy trails
Nic

IFS '99 DC "Benny"
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

Welcome Nic!

EFI is the way to go.

In reply to your question....

"Calling Mr. B...."

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Leave the 4Y ... excellent motors that rarely let you down, and when they do, it's mostly fixable in the bush. Parts are cheap and available throughout Africa. It's slow on the open road, but a donkey in the bush. I used tro get good fuel economy out of a standard carb ... just nicely tuned and a moderate driving style (don't push it, that's when it gets thisty!). The EFI route is definitely an option IF you cannot live with the sluggish road performance.

Contact Allan ("Hoppy" here on the forum) of AEW Auto in Brackenfell. ;-)
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
cheetah
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 1994 Hilux d/c 2.2

Post by cheetah »

4y efi :thumbup: Mr B will respond soon, later in the day. :tease:
Stubs
Town: Onrusrivier Hermanus
Vehicle: 89, Hilux D/cab 3.0L V6 Ford !!

Post by Stubs »

Hoppy is busy rebuilding my 4Y in its entirety, the only thing not broke on there was the fanbelt and radiator (only joking), but seriously I drove Ciske's 4Y from Gomad the other day and it flys.....this is without the EFI which can pack up and then in the bush you are stuck....but I know MR B will disagree. I will be happy to cruise on the open road at 120 then as previous comments its a donkey in the bush....conversions are great, but as stated, its costly and you never recoup the money but the sound and power of a V8 is something to be heard and driven......have driven Thysdj 7MGE and this is also a great engine which is actually mine (but he doesnt know it yet :lmao: ....) so we will be seeing you in the Dunes then ?????? you must speak to Thys and do the offroad course - its great and will help immensely.....cheers Stubs.....
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Post by Mr_B »

Hey Stubs, no disagreement... horses for courses I say! Running 33"s means the carb fed std.

The 4Y is a little(lot) underpowered. If you happy with a std carb fed 4Y so be it, you've got a seriously reliable workhorse that will take you anywhere, albeit slowly! But if you looking for a little more driveability(smoother power delivery/improved throttle response) and power then EFi is the cheapest option. There are options to get more power before looking at an EFi conversion, these being mod'd cam, higher compression(require engine or head rebuild, can be a pain to tune), porting and polishing head(head mods), replacing the viscous fan with electrics(reliability ???), fitting a brospeed style exhaust mani+system(often just moves the power/torque curve, to the detriment of low end torque). All these mods + efi may give you around 20kw extra, with a little better fuel consumption(very driving style dependent). So for all that work you'll land up with +- a 85kw engine, instead of the normal 62-65kw. This exercise could well set you back anything from 15 - 20k+(depending on how far you go)!

On the other hand, if you got the bucks, 30 - 40K, and really want better consumption and are willing to go diesel, then take a look at the Mazda/Ford WL2 2.5TDi. Hoppy has done a few of these conversions! I don't really see the 2.5 D4D as a viable option, unless you got contacts or decent cash on hand, it's a pretty expensive engine to acquire, and we won't even talk about expensive injector reliablity issues.

Other popular options are:
- Ford V6 - old tech, heavier on fuel than a 4Y, inclined to break stuff because of abrupt power delivery...
- 7MGE - EFi std. good power, about same consumption as a 4Y(tuning dependent), may need aftermarket engine management
- 2JZ - EFi std. good power, may well get better consumption(tuning dependent), replacement for 7MGE may need aftermarket engine management
- Lexus V8 - probably the cheapest engine to buy, but often lands up being the most expensive conversion, best power for your buck with decent fuel consumption, again very drive style/tuning dependant! Could easily set you back 60K+

At the end of the day it all depends how much money you are willing to spend, and what your objectives are... more power or improved fuel consumption!
Last edited by Mr_B on Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
niclemaitre
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by niclemaitre »

Wow, thanks for all the help and not flaming the noob :thumbup:

So to summarize (if I have this right...):

4Y aint so bad after all, slow on roads though.
To get better on road performance = engine mod/EFI which is about R15-20k, and lose some of the "repair with a leatherman, duct tape and bloudraad" bush repair-ability.
Engine conversions are nice to have but the outlay won't be recouped and are more expensive, >R30k (although that V8 idea, that would be awesome... In my dreams)

Hmmm choices, choices...

@Stubs: It is going to be a while until I get out into the dunes, I've got three more months on my contract on Gough Island to run before I come home
Happy trails
Nic

IFS '99 DC "Benny"
niclemaitre
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by niclemaitre »

Thanks to everyone for their replies. It is all moot anyway, the seller was running a scam, the chassis had been welded and straightened following an accident. Bastard!

Back to ad browsing!
Happy trails
Nic

IFS '99 DC "Benny"

Return to “Engine conversions (Lexus/7M-GE/3RZ-FE etc)”