IndianaJones7746
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Citrusdal
Vehicle: 84 SFA Hilux

Overlanding SFA Engine Conversion?

Post by IndianaJones7746 »

Hi guys

I'm sure this topic have been dealt with to death, but I'll appreciate it if you'd humor my question.

If you were to do an engine conversion on an overlanding SFA Hilux, which engine would you choose?

The criteria is as follows:
Must be a Toyota engine
Must be fitted to a manual gearbox
Must have more power than an EFI 4Y(2.2L) or EFI 22R(2.4L)
Fuel consumption of at least 8km/l when cruising at the national limit, fully loaded with overlanding gear.
Must be reliable, as it will be used in remote places.

So, what will it be? 3RZ-FE, 7M-GE, 1JZ-GE, 2J-GE, 2L-T, KZ-TE or something else?
And if it is an EFI engine, which management system would you recommend? Dictator, Go-Tech, etc?

Thank you
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Re: Overlanding SFA Engine Conversion?

Post by OOOOMS »

Hi Ben, sorry can't give you one direct answer, but if the vehicle is say going to travel through Africa I would considder the the following:

- Availability of spares of the enjines mentioned above
- Which of these enjines are commonly found

Consumption of the enjine would be of concern but no longer the main priority

jm2cw :thumbup:
zepplin
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Crooza VX 80 EFI
Club VHF Licence: HC 127

Post by zepplin »

You'd have to go the diesel route to get that consumption under those conditions.
Crooza VX 80 efi - fully locked.
ThysdJ
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Post by ThysdJ »

Hi Ben,

First of all define "Overlanding", or at least what you mean by that. Into Africa, or around the corner to a trail/national park 200km's away?

I have to agree with Mark. If you want to go into Africa, keep it as low-tech and standard as possible.
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
GeorgeJvR
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Louis Trichardt
Vehicle: 2008 Prado 4.0 V6, 1989 SFA S/C 2.2 1998 SFA LTD 22RE

Post by GeorgeJvR »

What do you want to spend?
To Buy and sell a vehicle is my hobby
Make a deal that no one else thought possible is my aim

Kom wat wil ek bly 'n Bul!
IndianaJones7746
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Thanks for all the replies thus far guys.

With "overlanding", I mean I'm planning to travel with tour groups into our neighbouring countries (Namibia, Botswana, etc), not to travel to Tanzania, or Egypt.

I'm able to do most of the conversion myself, and could go up to R18000 for the engine alone.

Thanks
zepplin
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Crooza VX 80 EFI
Club VHF Licence: HC 127

Post by zepplin »

A normally aspirated diesel will give you the consumption but not the speed. 3L or 5L.
Crooza VX 80 efi - fully locked.
SuidWes
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Durbanville
Vehicle: Prado 120 VX
Club VHF Licence: B35

Post by SuidWes »

Personally don't like conversions.

Only way te get close to your requirements would be to fit a Mazda Diesel :oops: - Speak to Hoppy. Beleive me the engine looks like it was designed for the SFA.
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away - George Carlin
Stef
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '98 LTD
Club VHF Licence: X107

Post by Stef »

All the engines will have some risk ascociated with it. Stock 4y or 22R will be most reliable.

If you have to do a conversion, I would go 7M or 2JZ (if VVTi std ECU is a must). Both of these will fit to the std W56 gearbox with proper bell housings and no adaptor plates AFAIK. Don't think the 1JZ will give better consumption with a huge load :think: Might be worthwilw to carry a spare mapped ECU & HP pump on a trip.
Rebel 4x4
Town: Port Elizabeth
Vehicle: 2020 Toyota Fortuner GD-6 4x4 Auto

Post by Rebel 4x4 »

Stick to the plain 4y, you can take the engine apart and put it back yourself in the middle of nowhere! :laugh2:
Sent from my iPhone
Thabogrobler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '02 'Lux KZ
Club VHF Licence: x223

Post by Thabogrobler »

Sorry but not all of your requirements are obtainable in one package - Buy a new 3.0 D4d and then you MIGHT get close!
'02 KZ 'Lux. Cooled. Chipped. Onca'd. Cherished!

If you are a diesel fan, raise your hand.
If you aren't raising your hand, raise your standards!

A 4x4 is merely a machine that enables you to get stuck further away from civilization.
IndianaJones7746
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Thanks again for you input guys

Would a 5L give better fuel consumption than a KZ-TE, under those conditions?

If I go for a 7M or 2JZ, what would be the best fuel consumption I could hope for, also fully loaded at cruising speed?

Also, who sells standard ECU's for 2JZ motors?

I'd really like to build a SFA Hilux to tour with around Namibia, and then when I get to Luderitz or Walvis Bay, be able to climb dunes with the best EFI Cruisers.

Thanks
kfxnando
Town: Germiston
Vehicle: Ford V6 3.4 Courrier soon to be powered by Yamaha!! Jeep GC 4.7 V8, Aygo broken traded for a Kia Picanto.2ex, 2012 Jeep GC 5.7 V8 Ovrrland

Post by kfxnando »

Thabogrobler wrote:Sorry but not all of your requirements are obtainable in one package - Buy a new 3.0 D4d and then you MIGHT get close!
there is your answer right there.

however would like to add that any conversion if done properly can be reliable.
in my Sierra had a Toyota gearbox, and had no problems with the conversion, must of easily done well over 100 000, and those days I was heavy on cars, and it was all done at home.

if done properly you could have the motor in the back and use the front as packing space and still be reliable IF done properly

all depends on your needs and what you willing to spend

good luck
http://www.youtube.com/user/kfxnando" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://community.webshots.com/user/kfxnando" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://s538.photobucket.com/albums/ff343/kfxnando/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
gert-redelinghuys
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: polokwane
Vehicle: 1996 hilux 2.4 4x4 dc raider rear locked 31 maxxis bighorns 2 inch lift

Post by gert-redelinghuys »

I am going to apologize beforehand , I am sorry if stepped on your toes . here is my 2cw , 1 I will the current motor do some tuning and some head work spend a few grand and keep the rest for petrol money , in any case a sfa is his happiest @ 90 to a 100 your on holiday not late for a meeting ... sure all of us would love a Lexus v8 ticking away in a hilux but you want to keep it as simple as possible , there aren't many auto elec between luderitz and walvis , simplicity is the way to go . so there is my 2cw "simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" as da Vinci would've said
Last edited by gert-redelinghuys on Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lock and crawl
niks loop soos `n john deere nie , behalwe `n hilux bakkie met `n john deere sticker agter op die bak
Rebel 4x4
Town: Port Elizabeth
Vehicle: 2020 Toyota Fortuner GD-6 4x4 Auto

Post by Rebel 4x4 »

gert-redelinghuys wrote:I am going to apologize beforehand , I am sorry if stepped on your toes . here is my 2cw , 1 I will the current motor do some tuning and some head work spend a few grand and keep the rest for petrol money , in any case a sfa is his happiest @ 90 to a 100 your on holiday not late for a meeting ... sure all of us would love a Lexus v8 ticking away in a hilux but you want to keep it as simple as possible , there aren't many auto elec between luderitz and walvis , simplicity is the way to go . so there is my 2cw
Totally agree! :thumbup:
Sent from my iPhone
ThysdJ
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Post by ThysdJ »

You are chasing the holy grail here. You want good consumption at speed (120 - 140), fully loaded, and good power to climb dunes. Aint gonna happen, not in a brick-shaped Hilux weighting close to 2 tons.

I have a 7MGE Hilux and with a RTT on and fully kitted for 3 weeks overlanding trip the best I could manage was 7.2km/l at 90km/h. The moment you go over 100 the wind resistance sucks your wallet dry.

It goes like this.... You want power, you get power. Once you got it, you will use it. Once you got used to it there's no going back and there goes the consumption out the window. :twisted: :twisted: By all means fit a more powerful motor if you want to, they are fun. :thumbup: :thumbup:
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

I would also stick to standard but if you decide to divert from the standard motor and opt for a conversion I would personally look hard at a lexus V8 .... plenty power, low end as well and the motor is fairly cheap. Also the block is aluminium, not iron ... much lighter than the straight 6's and not much more weight than the 4Y (will save your front suspension). Where the cost will come in is the conversion itself. Remember also that with conversions which deliver more power, the drive-train should be upgraded as well ... more bucks. ;-)
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
IndianaJones7746
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

OK, thanks guys.
I appreciate your insight.
FIRSTGEER
Town: King WilliamsTown
Vehicle: 2,5 D4D Singlr Cab 4X4 Full OME suspension. snorkel.GMA aftermarket bullbar.
Club VHF Licence: HC 109

Post by FIRSTGEER »

Hi there.I am driving my 5th hilux sfa which is a non turbo 2,8 diesel.Not very fast but bullet proof and get about 8,5 km/l.I fitted a 7mge to previous sfa and it performed well but was too powerfull for the drivechain.Gearbox and diff problems occured. Keep the vechile standard for very far away overlanding trips.Less hastles and cheaper too.Thats my 2cents worth.Happy overlanding.

Return to “Engine conversions (Lexus/7M-GE/3RZ-FE etc)”