Starting with a 22R in a '95 SFA - where do I go from here?

Post questions, advice and pictures of Engine conversions here
Slowpoke
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Port Elizabeth
Vehicle: '96 Hilux Raider DC 4x4

Starting with a 22R in a '95 SFA - where do I go from here?

Post by Slowpoke »

I have a '95 SFA with a 22R motor. Let me first off say I love the motor. I can take it apart down to nuts and bolts and rings and things and put it back together over a weekend (no I do not do this often but had to on occasion to replace things like valves or bearings). It's easy to work on lasts forever and tough as nails. Ok so I like the motor as a machine. But in the lux it is pap.

Here in the east cape we have plenty of hilly terrain and the 2.4l just does not have the grunt to keep at 100kmh. My normal speed I maintain is around 100-110kmh. This gives me about 6km/l open road - far less in city traffic. So I face two problems - not enough power and bad fuel consumption. I may add that I bought the lux with the motor slightly modified - the cam has been changed. This gives more power to the motor but only at 4200 RPM at which point you can hear the feul run out the tank by the litre.

So hier is my vraag. Wat is die beste raad. Some options I am thinking of and why:
1) convert the carb to a fuel injected setup - keeps it "original" and wont devalue the lux more than needed, will give some improvement in power or consumption depending on driving style, cost is probably lower.
2) drop a V6 in there, Ford 3l perhaps - lot more power, simple electronics, light engine (compared to big diesels), and given steady driving good consumptoin, not sure of cost though, lots of small and fiddly modifications.
3) drop in the ford 2.5tdi diesel - good engine, enough power with good consumption, not sure at all on how to marry this to existing drive train, cost may be an issue, unsure of electronics complexity
4) drop in a toyota 5L motor (straight 3l diesel) - heavy motor, need to do suspension upgrades, cooling is a concern, big so space becomes tight, dad has one in his '85 lux and it's a nice strong and efficient motor (10km/l at a steady 110kmh up or down hills)

But I may not be in possesion of experience needed to make the call. Can anyone impart wise words? I have read various threads about mods but not one yet where a pro's and con's list of different options (with costs) were discussed.
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Velddrif
Vehicle: Triton 3.5l V6
Club VHF Licence: HC107

Re: Starting with a 22R in a '95 SFA - where do I go from he

Post by george »

1) convert the carb to a fuel injected setup - keeps it "original" and wont devalue the lux more than needed, will give some improvement in power or consumption depending on driving style, cost is probably lower.
This will be my first option.
"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.-Saint Augustine"
Stef
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '98 LTD
Club VHF Licence: X107

Post by Stef »

Jacques,

This debate has been going on forever :mocking: Just do a search, there is a recent thread on the same topic.

My opinion in short:
EFi will probably be the easiest bet, but doubt if the consumption will improve much beyond 8 km/l, not sure about power (mine still on carb)

7M will be the cheapest engine conv along with the ford V6
Lexus V8 too strong, but the Lexus 2JZ is my dream conversion :angel:
Slowpoke
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Slowpoke »

Stef wrote:Jacques,

This debate has been going on forever :mocking: Just do a search, there is a recent thread on the same topic.

My opinion in short:
EFi will probably be the easiest bet, but doubt if the consumption will improve much beyond 8 km/l, not sure about power (mine still on carb)

7M will be the cheapest engine conv along with the ford V6
Lexus V8 too strong, but the Lexus 2JZ is my dream conversion :angel:
**EDIT**
Excuse my ignorance but "7M" I do not know this motor. Is it a Toyota engine?

I checked Wikipedia. Toyota motor with impressive specs but I did not think a straight six would fit in the engine bay? Also it seems to be quite a high revving motor peak power and torque at 6000 odd RPM.

what about the 4GR-FSE (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_GR_engine) motor? Although still high revving...

Just looking at specs the 1KD-FTV (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_KD_engine) is superbly suited to 4x4 and the lux but being a D4D technology engine, probably hellishly expensive?
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Post by Mr_B »

The 7MGE is the old(ish) straight 6 used locally in the Cressida, and overseas in tweaked format(turbo) in the Celica Supra's. Proved to be an excellent engine, with minor issues with the head gasket, due to factory releasing incorrect torque down specs. But again it's old, and the electronic parts are becoming scarce! The WL2 Ford 2.5TDi is an excellent engine, but often fuel consumption is a serious let down(if the okes are trully honest), and the power is not that much better than a 22R! I'd investigate 2 options, EFi(if you only need say 15% power increase) or a 1JZ(2.5L) or 2JZ(3L) engine conversion... the 1 and 2 JZ are modern straight 6 replacement for the 5 and 7MGE's!

Also note that any conversion is going to cost serious moola, EFi will be around 15K, and any engine conversion 30K+ !
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Mr_B »

Many guys have spoke about fitting a KZ or D4D into the SFA shape hilux, but, as you said, these engines are flipping expensive.

The 7MGE does fit, in it's hayday it was one of the more popular conversions with the Ford V6!

The 1JZ/2JZ option is a good one, you can pick up the engine for as little as 5-7K, but it's all the other bits and pieces that make the cost grow horrendously... like clutch, bellhousing, radiator, exhaust system, engine management unit, etc. If you can find a 1/2JZ with original EMU that would be a really nice bonus!
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Mr_B »

The 2GR-FE may be a bit of a problem, it was designed for transverse mounting, for front wheel drive cars, so radiator piping will be an issue! Not sure if that engine is available in SA anyway!
Slowpoke
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Slowpoke »

So what would your comments be on the 1KD (3l D-4d) ?
i see Engine Den has one for R25 000. Not sure if that includes ECU and wiring harness.
http://www.engineden.co.za/shop.html?pa ... gory_id=10

125 kW at 3400 rpm
352 N·m of torque at 1800-3400 rpm
Sounds so GOOOOOOOOODD
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Mr_B »

A flippin cool engine... but you'd probably be pioneering the conversion as I'm not aware of anyone else whose done it before... might be in for a nasty learning curve!
Slowpoke
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Slowpoke »

To boldly stomp around where no SFA has been before... mmmm that alone makes it tempting...
Stef
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Stef »

I think with the D4D into an SFA the big thing will be the drivetrain from bellhousing right through to diff ratios.
It will probably be easiest to get a 2.8 diesel SFA g/box & ratios & try to marry that to the D4D; however,it would really be cool to get the D4D g/box but I think there might be a challenge or 2 there with the txfer case.

Do it....maybe then I'll consider converting mine :twisted:
ThysdJ
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Post by ThysdJ »

If you want to go to the trouble of doing a conversion, rather do a Lexus V8 conversion. All the pioneering work has already been done, and heaps of advice available. :thumbup: Unless you like to sukkel, then do the pioneering work.. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
zepplin
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: Crooza VX 80 EFI
Club VHF Licence: HC 127

Post by zepplin »

Or a 5 VZ-FE. 130kw & 311Nm. Stock SFA gearbox & ratios. R 20K all in.
Crooza VX 80 efi - fully locked.
Slowpoke
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Slowpoke »

zepplin wrote:Or a 5 VZ-FE. 130kw & 311Nm. Stock SFA gearbox & ratios. R 20K all in.
It's a 4.3l engine so I've not looked at it. What sort of feul consumption are we talking about here?

And next question - any pointers on wher I can get one?
Stef
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Stef »

Slowpoke wrote:
zepplin wrote:Or a 5 VZ-FE. 130kw & 311Nm. Stock SFA gearbox & ratios. R 20K all in.
It's a 4.3l engine so I've not looked at it. What sort of feul consumption are we talking about here?

And next question - any pointers on wher I can get one?
Sweet conversion, but the rest of the money saved will go towards fuel :mocking: Seroiusly though, that 5VZ will be just as thirsty as your 22R, but you'll have some serious displacement!

Return to “Engine conversions (Lexus/7M-GE/3RZ-FE etc)”