Post questions, advice and pictures of Engine conversions here
LEEBOY
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: East London
Vehicle: sfa hilux

MAZDA 2.5 TDI IN SFA HILUX

Post by LEEBOY »

Hi! Anyone have or know anyone who has fitted a Mazda 2.5 tdi in a Hilux.I have spoken to the guy in CP but any usefull info whould be appreciated. Apparently the later motors are better and I can get a local one for R15000 with inter cooler.
Hoppy
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Hilux SFA & IFS

Re: MAZDA 2.5 TDI IN SFA HILUX

Post by Hoppy »

I have fitted the WL motor in 3 hilux's, I had one in my previous hilux and i am busy fitting one in my old hilux, it is one of the best coversions i have done.
aev@iburst.co.za
The trouble with trouble is...it always starts as fun.
The most precious jewels you will ever wear around your neck is the arms of your children...
" I WOULD RATHER SIT ON THE TAILGATE OF MY HILUX WITH A BEER AND A CHOP, WATCHING A FIRE, THAN DINE IN THE BEST RESTAURANT IN TOWN "
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '96 D/C Raider

Post by BenHur »

I must say even though I have ageneral dislike in any diesel engine these 2.5 TDI Ford/mazda engine is the one I would use if ever forced at gunpoint to select a diesel engine for my car, but that said I still think diesel stinks :twisted: :twisted:
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
Marius Murray
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Vehicle: Nissan Patrol

Post by Marius Murray »

and I thought a ford is the limit.......... :roll:
Marius Murray
SOLD PAMPOEN.
SYRON CONVERSIONS
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Tamboekieland
Vehicle: SFA HILUX

Post by SYRON CONVERSIONS »

I have to disagree with you guys, these engine have an overheating problem, the cylinder head cracks, it is a known fault with them.
1992 Slightly Modified Hilux, 2008 VW Caddy panelvan work, 2010 Isuzu 2.5 td bakkie for work, a pair of big 'balloons' as well hanging at the rear of my Hilux

simoan
Hoppy
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Hoppy »

One man's meat is another man's poison, it all depends on how it's fitted.
Do you think it cracks more heads than Toyota Turbo motors?
The power curve and higher rpm suits the hilux better than anny other diesel motor.
aev@iburst.co.za
The most precious jewels you will ever wear around your neck is the arms of your children...
" I WOULD RATHER SIT ON THE TAILGATE OF MY HILUX WITH A BEER AND A CHOP, WATCHING A FIRE, THAN DINE IN THE BEST RESTAURANT IN TOWN "
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by BenHur »

I agree with Allan it is not a Ford thing its a diesel thing. Diesel can't take the punishment of being hammered, that is why Im a PertolHead
SYRON CONVERSIONS

Both engine are known to have a problem with the heads cracking due to overheating problems, this is a fact, I am not knocking any brand name, it seems that you are 8)
1992 Slightly Modified Hilux, 2008 VW Caddy panelvan work, 2010 Isuzu 2.5 td bakkie for work, a pair of big 'balloons' as well hanging at the rear of my Hilux

simoan
pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

I agree with Bennie, it is a diesel thing, even the old 2.7 turbo diesel Nissans is cracking heads. And I do not think it is a fitment problem because those 2.5 engines even crack heads in their own original vehicles.
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
Thys
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Knysna
Vehicle: '93 Hilux 4x4 d/cab with ome susp other wise stock std

Post by Thys »

Ford/Mazda engine in 'n Hilux? Dit is verkeerd 'n mens het darem seker meer respek vir jou Hilux as dit. Hoekom 'n turbo diesel Toyota/Ford/Colt, hulle is onbetroubaar, het nie/of maar min bottom end,as die turbo inskop (rondom so 1500-2000rpm) dan het jy weer teveel krag/spoed dan verloor jy weer tracktion en hulle loop warmer as 'n normal asperated engin.
Soos die brandstof prys nou gaan sal ek(as ek jy was) eerder gegaan het vir 'n petrol engine, hulle kraglewering is meer gelyk, hulle ontbranding is skooner petrol is goedkooper ens.ens. ens.
SYRON CONVERSIONS

Thys I understood every word that you said (even with my poor understanding of Afrikaanse) :shock: Yes I agree fully with what you say, you are 100% correct.

simoan
Marius Murray
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Vehicle: Nissan Patrol

Post by Marius Murray »

I am working six Years at McCarthy Toyota selling plenty of KZTEs and have seen only one cracked head on a KZTE in six years. So cracking heads and blowing engines is NOT a Toyota thing. The KZTE motor in my opinion is the most reliable Toyota Turbo diesel i have seen. They go on forever.

So do not mention Mazda, Ford , Nissan, and TOYOTA in the same sentence. I know the truth. Toyota does not belong there. KZTE rules. FULLSTOP!!!!
Marius Murray
SOLD PAMPOEN.
Niel
Vehicle: 2014, DC, D4D 3.0, 4x4

Post by Niel »

marius safari wrote:The KZTE motor in my opinion is the most reliable Toyota Turbo diesel i have seen. They go on forever.
:D :D
marius safari wrote:KZTE rules. FULLSTOP!!!!
:D :D :D :D
SYRON CONVERSIONS

marius safari wrote:I am working six Years at McCarthy Toyota selling plenty of KZTEs and have seen only one cracked head on a KZTE in six years. So cracking heads and blowing engines is NOT a Toyota thing. The KZTE motor in my opinion is the most reliable Toyota Turbo diesel i have seen. They go on forever.

So do not mention Mazda, Ford , Nissan, and TOYOTA in the same sentence. I know the truth. Toyota does not belong there. KZTE rules. FULLSTOP!!!!
marius safari WOW, You sure get uptight man :lol:
If you read the above thread correctly, you will see that we were refering to the older 2.8 diesel engine, and NOT THE KZTE

So now we know that we have a person who works for Toyota and thus we have somebody who can supply us with parts at great prices, why do you not ask Toyota to advertise here on this web site?

However I would like to know how many of the vehicle's that you sell you actually see after the 3 year or 100 000km garantee or warrentee is up back in your workshop for repairs?

Tell us some news about the gearboxes in The KZTE and the 5th gear.?

And one last thing, you and I have something in common.

We both work for the same group Bidvest :lol:

simoan
Thys
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Knysna
Vehicle: '93 Hilux 4x4 d/cab with ome susp other wise stock std

Post by Thys »

Marius Safari, ok the KZTE motor is not to bad in the aspect of cracking and blowing heads, but howmany 2.7i Hiluxes do you guys open? I know for a fact that we have only opened one 2.7i motor in the last 5 years and for the KZTE motors we must have opened about 4-5 of them.
If you kan recall how many 2.7i to KZTE's have you guys sold.
We sold about 7 Hilux 2.7i's to every one KZTE. Reason for that the fuel consumption and driveability was about the same, but the KZTE is much more expensive to buy and keep on the road.
I have been in the motor selling game for about 10years and I have plenty of 2.7i Hiluxes with 300-400 000km on the clock with their origanal motors in them without being opened. I cant say I have seen a KZTE with the same kind of kilos on it that has never been opened.
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by BenHur »

Marius

Gee my 'n KZ en sonder om hom op te dinges deur sonder olie of so iets te ry belowe ek jou as ek hom moet ry soos ek my petrol engines ry sal ek hom in 1 jaar klaar ry tops.
Niel
Vehicle: 2014, DC, D4D 3.0, 4x4

Post by Niel »

Bennie, spoken like a true petrol head :lol:
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

Makes me kinda glad that Bulldog came home... :mrgreen: :twisted:

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

Hoppy
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Hoppy »

Most of the facts are correct, you either love or hate diesels, i've never driven a succesful KZTE in an SFA Hilux.
2 problems; the gear ratio is to high, the KZTE is not a free revving motor and its not happy at high rpm, i drive one myself
The mechanical diesel pump swop robs it of its power and you batle to fit a fan and radiator that's large enough.
The 2.7 is the easiest and most reliable transplant, but you have to use a good management system or carb setup.
The 4y is said to be one of the most reliable motors, but they are underpowered, they blow headgaskets and they wont last beyond 250 000 km when driven hard, but some still swear by them.
I serviced a 2.5td WL motor with 320 000 on the clock, unopened and i've seen a few with 250 000, it all depends how you treat it.
aev@iburst.co.za
SYRON CONVERSIONS

And what are your feelings about the 2 L 2 motor, we have one in a vehicle at work, it gets abused by everybody, sometimes pulling a trailer all over South Africa, the engine has been opened once for a complete overhaul, the vehicle is a 1998 model, the start of the new body model for that year, this vehicle has done 780 000km.

Please note I am not one of the people who dislikes diesel or petrol engines, it all boils down to how you look after each vehicle and abuse it.

4Y 2.2 petrol carb
7MGE petrol fuel injection
4Y 2.2 petrol fuel injection
2.8 non turbo diesel

These engine types are the ones that we use in our four Hiluxes that are running.

Other 4X4 vehicles have.

TJ jeep 4 L fuel injection petrol

simoan
WerMos
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Bloemfontein
Vehicle: Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider

Post by WerMos »

Thys wrote:Ford/Mazda engine in 'n Hilux? Dit is verkeerd 'n mens het darem seker meer respek vir jou Hilux as dit. Hoekom 'n turbo diesel Toyota/Ford/Colt, hulle is onbetroubaar, het nie/of maar min bottom end,as die turbo inskop (rondom so 1500-2000rpm) dan het jy weer teveel krag/spoed dan verloor jy weer tracktion en hulle loop warmer as 'n normal asperated engin.
Soos die brandstof prys nou gaan sal ek(as ek jy was) eerder gegaan het vir 'n petrol engine, hulle kraglewering is meer gelyk, hulle ontbranding is skooner petrol is goedkooper ens.ens. ens.
Ja Nee manne, 'n mens kan darm nie Toyota, ford nissan en die ander minder belangrike name in dieselfte sin gebruik nie, hulle moet hulle respek vir 'n TOY behou!!!
Hoppy
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Hoppy »

Yes Simon it's thats best motor ever built, i sold my 2L with 760 000km on the clock unopened, but fit a turbo and it won't see 100 000 when driven hard.

I know it's not "nice" to fit other motors in a Toyota, but the first Turbo Diesel that Toyota built that's a succes is the D4D and it's not affordable yet.
aev@iburst.co.za
Family_Dog

Post by Family_Dog »

The best reply I saw to this was from someone on the Community Forum:

"Is this legal?" :mrgreen:

-F_D

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

Cookie Monster
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Port Elizabeth
Vehicle: 2006 Hilux DC V6 Auto 4x4 Oldman Emu suspension

Post by Cookie Monster »

I think its always better to stick to the brand I also toyed with the idea of fitting a BMW M52B28 328i 154kw or M54B30 330i 170kw. However I changed my mind as its not a Toyota motor I think when my ship comes in I will fit a 2.7i motor with the Toyota electronics.
2006 Hilux DC 4x4 4.0 V6 Old Man Emu suspension, Long Range Fuel Tank and a LA Sport Sump Guard, Natko railings with spade and high lift brackets, LA Sport high lift jack mounts, Powder coated Hilux Nudge Bar, Hella LED light bar, LED Work Light
SYRON CONVERSIONS

Cookie all you have to do is lift the anchors, stop them dragging behind you. For example, I do not have only one job, I have three :oops:

Oh nearly forgot, also got to keep the wife satisfied :twisted:

simoan
DOELLOOS

Post by DOELLOOS »

I drove a Mazda Drifter X for about six months two years ago, and I was not impressed with power delivery at all. Also, I always got 7 kms a litre.

I don't think that this conversion is worthwhile. The 7M-GE gives 6.5km per litre, is a toyota engine, and is a far superior engine in terms of reliability. (and cheaper)
leonbrink
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Pretoria East
Vehicle: Hilux

Post by leonbrink »

2 years down the line since I replaced my 2L with a 5L engine, I can kick my own butt! Although the 5L is a great motor to have in the SFA, I wish I did the sensible thing and built in a petrol motor!
I really do not trust the 5L anymore after a few instances of overheating, without even working the motor that hard. The short and the long is I do not trust the motor to do a long trip...

Wonder, how hard is it going to be to swop out the 5L for the 22R that I have??? Wiring, cost etc.....
Groete

Leon
Hilux 4.0 V6 4x4
Family_Dog

Post by Family_Dog »

Leon,

4Y with EFI conversion is definitely the way to go!

-F_D

SYRON CONVERSIONS

But it also depends where you want to use the vehicle and you do have the 22 R for now, if I was you I would just drive the vehicle with the 5L until it is worn out and unreliable and then fit the 22 R back in and when you do the fitment, you will see what it costs, but in the meantime if you have the extra cash, just put some away in a seperate account until you do the engine swop.

simoan
hilex08
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Springs
Vehicle: Hilex V8, Ford Ranger 2500 td, C55 AMG

Post by hilex08 »

mazda in a toyota????

fire this guy...cut his bonus....give him a bulls jersey....rip his arm off.......

mazda in a toyota ....hmmph.......... :twisted: :twisted:
SYRON CONVERSIONS

And Hennie what V8 engine and gearbox do you have in your Hilux :lol:

simoan
LouisZ
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux D/C 1996

Post by LouisZ »

Kom ek gooi 'n spanner in die wiel, ek het sowat 4 jaar gelede die Okavango Delta met 'n Ford 2.5 tubo diesel aangedurf, 'n 1999 model. di ding was stock std behalwe vir die daktent en extra petrol tenk. Ek het 5000km gery in modder, sand en water. Gemiddeld sowat 3000km offroad het dit my 8.1km per liter gegee en op teer 12.1km. Die frustrasie partyker was om vir die ander te wag by elke vulstasie oppad dan was ek of half of kon nog 200km ry. Die range met die 2 tenks was 1100km gemeng tussen 4x4'ing en teer. Die "Fordjie" het 220 000km op die klok gehad. Ek het 'n bietjie respek gekry vir die ding want 2 van die Colts het on baie probleme gegee wat saam was.

Maar ek laaik nog steeds my Hilux 2.2l EFI BBBBBBBAAAAAAAIIE meer!!!

Groetnis,
Louis
hilex08
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Springs
Vehicle: Hilex V8, Ford Ranger 2500 td, C55 AMG

Post by hilex08 »

SYRON CONVERSIONS wrote:And Hennie what V8 engine and gearbox do you have in your Hilux :lol:
a toyota V8 of course !!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

gearbox...........erm...... :oops: :oops: :oops:
pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

Spoken to a guy who have many years of experience in modifications. And what he said made perfect sense to me.
He said that the 2.5 Mazda engine is a good conversion for the SFA Hilux since everything sits on the right places. The inlet and outlet manifolds, the alternator, the waterpump, everything is where it should be. It also has an build in power steering pump.

Apparently the engine also revs higher than the KZ-TE engine which makes it more suitable for dune driving.

As for the cracking of the heads he said that all turbo diesels will crack their heads if not looked at properly. Apparently the exhaust runs at about 700 degrees and when it hits 800 the head might crack. So it is running at its limit all the time. So it is important to make sure you cooling system is always in good shape. What some guys do is to fit a turbo diesel engine in their SFA but keep the old radiator. Because it then do not gets the cooling it should they get problems with the engine.

He also said that he has clients who have done more than 300,000 on their 2.5 Mazda Turbo diesels.
duroc
Town: Newcastle
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 2.8D 4x4

Post by duroc »

Thanks for that info Piet. What about the gearbox, is the old four speed good enough or must we match the engine with the mazda 5 speed box as well
pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

Eish I see my answer was posted almost 5 years ago.
I am not sure about the 4 speed box but I know they rather keep the Hilux 5 speed box than the Mazda box.
Hoppy will have better info on the 4 speed box.

In many cases even the Ford and Mazda guys convert to a Hilux or Cressida 5 speed box because it is more reliable. So definitely you wont keep the Mazda box, only question is if the 4 speed will be Ok or if you will have to look for a 5 speed Hilux box.
sakkie4x4
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Tzaneen
Vehicle: 2011 Toyota Hilux 3.0 D4D Raider 4x4 MT
Club VHF Licence: HC343

Post by sakkie4x4 »

I can say one hing. The 2.2 4y is a "ou staatmaker", even if its a little bit thitsty. When I gor my van a while back it gave me 4,5 kilos to a litre. After a dyno and carb overhaul it went back to 6,8.Although I'm working for Ford and the WL motors are discontinued, you can pick up a brand new motor at a dealership for R12000. My Mazda 2.5 i drove bfore my 2.2 gave me 9.8 kilos er litre.
Matt. 21:28-30.
"Kom na My toe, almal wat vermoeid en belas is, en Ek sal julle rus gee. Neem My juk op julle en leer van My, want Ek is sagmoedig en nederig van hart, en julle sal rus vind vir julle siele: want My juk is sag en My las is lig".

"Come unto Me, all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you, and learn from Me; for I am meek and lowly in heart' and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For My yoke is easy, and My burden is light"
mark watson
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: gauteng
Vehicle: hilux

Post by mark watson »

hi pieter , if you look at the cruiser guys the most fit a alarm system for exhaust gas temp ( madman / mgl avionics R) , not more than 650 / 680 deg , but you dont see them on the wl or kz's i think this is where the failures come from , all you need is just a small buzzer just to let you know back off a little im too hot.
Hoppy
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Hoppy »

It's a good proven conversion, you have to use the 5 spd, there is no "off the shelf" bellhousing for the 4 spd
aev@iburst.co.za
mark watson
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by mark watson »

i agree allan , but as i said egt plays a big part and on the smaller vans the suppliers dont seem to be bothered , and it can save a shed load of bucks.
Hoppy
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Hoppy »

We have fitted a few on the KZ/WL conversions, i was surprised to see how quickly the temps shoots to 1000 deg, like you said. I t's not a bad motor if you look after it
aev@iburst.co.za
mark watson
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by mark watson »

i agree allan ,but the cruiser guys with the turboed 1hz and the 1hdt motors swear by not going over 650 - 680 degrees
jakeslouw
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Brits
Vehicle: Land Rover

Post by jakeslouw »

EGT of around 720 deg C is considered to be the highest value allowed on sustained driving.

Fit a Madman or similar monitor that will keep an eye on your EGT probe and your coolant/water level.

The WL25 is a great little engine. Way better than anything of that size from Toyota :o:
dustbuster
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Richards Bay
Vehicle: Rebuilding 91 D/C Hilux Mboza Body, OME 4Y EFI, & 91 S/C 4Y Hilux

Post by dustbuster »

what else needs to be done for this conversion and price as I am going this route, this is what I got so far,

Engine(Japan auto spares) – R16000 (used) new from agents in Empangeni (R25 000)
Bell housing – R3000
Engine mounts R600 (hoppy)

Still need info on how to do the conversion, what needs to be done for the

Exhaust –
Radiator –
Wiring -
Clutch -

:punch: :punch: :punch: lots for work will be asking lots of questions along the way
nyala
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: pretoria
Vehicle: 4x4 Hilux 2.4 raider

Post by nyala »

Just want to add my 50cents worth,

I did the 2,5 mazda conversion on my sfa,had a 22r in which was a good engine but under powered and fuel guzzler. Hoppy helped me with a lot of info(although i have done some conversions)i got all the right info from him....i can say this,this was the best conversion that i could have done...25k later all done.enough power,gets 9,4km/l in town,round about the same on the open road with no trailer.and 8,3km/l on the open road with trailer,canopy and 4 people.on the open road on long uphills the heat gauge lift about 3mm.on heavy/sandy 4x4 roads with trailer and low range driving the heat stays constant!up till now this conversion has done 28000km in my sfa and not one problem. i bought original clutch,pressure plate,kzte radiator,good quality viscous and fan..etc and everything is solid and good!this is a straight forward engine with no electronics sensors and electrical pump,making it most reliable.our route this desember is over 4000km and 4 country's and knows my lux wont let me down...

just look after the engine...like every other engine

thanks agian hoppy for the info
dustbuster
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Richards Bay
Vehicle: Rebuilding 91 D/C Hilux Mboza Body, OME 4Y EFI, & 91 S/C 4Y Hilux

Post by dustbuster »

I have placed my order with Hoppy :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: he has found a nice engine for me I have decide to get him to source and get everything I need for the conversion, he is going to prepare start and test the engine for me then I will just change out the engine.
nyala
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: pretoria
Vehicle: 4x4 Hilux 2.4 raider

Post by nyala »

hallo dustbuster,

listen to what hoppy says about the conversion.he knows.as i said i have done a few conversions,but would have walked a long path in doing it from scratch.if you can fit a egt gauge...yes and enjoy...
mark watson
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by mark watson »

sam / dean allan knows his stuff and it will be a winner , as we have said before the forum is there to gather info and make a decision on what you want and nobody else , when there is all smiles at the end this is when begin to enjoy all the hard work that you have put in , whether its a v8 or a diesel .

Return to “Engine conversions (Lexus/7M-GE/3RZ-FE etc)”