Post questions, advice and pictures of Engine conversions here
Sven
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Nelspruit
Vehicle: '89 Hilux DC

which engine conversion if you like to drive like cr@p

Post by Sven »

This is a very arb question that i was now thinking of with regards to engine conversions, most people on the forum mension engine conversions and base their decisions on the fuel consumption they might get. mensioning that they drive around with a light foot.

Now:

what if you drive like cr@p nearly all the time(like me), that whatever engine you have in your SFA you going to rape!

im guessing that most engines in an offroad environment level out to similar figure when running low range second through thick sand for extended periods, so by driving around with a flat foot you end up with similar fuel figures( just different speed figures).
so the dilema is this: do you get something like a ford v6 or 7mge with good power but not too much to turn your drivetrain to paste. or a V8 and smile all the way until something goes "clunk".

would love to hear your thoughts.
'89 hilux D/C SFA, import spec.4YImageImageImage
519franco
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Richards bay
Vehicle: 87 Hilux 3L v6 Ford

Re: which engine conversion if you like to drive like cr@p

Post by 519franco »

i will say 3l v6 caus its a great adfordable conversion but nothing beats the sound and feel as a v8
HAPPILY BUILD 3L V6 1987 TOYOTA HILUX
viewtopic.php?f=136&t=18393" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
FORD> Full Off Road Damnation
FORD> Its not oil leaks,, its swearing power
Sponser: MY DAD
Builder: ME: FRANCO DU PLESSIS
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

If anything.....keep it standard, guys spend 10s of 1000s on conversions and still not happy. Best is if you want to sell ...... you get back less than half. I for one, would not touch or even look a conversion.
Sven
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Sven »

i guess the trick is to know how much power the car can handle in the end of the day. if i really think of it, every single car i have owned i have pushed its engine to redline more then most of the time, from 1.4 corsa to 4l ford territory. but one thing scares me the most is just sticking the 4y into 3rd and revving it to death just to get up a hill at 90km/h, it just doesnt sound the same at 5000rpm then either territory or corsa. just sounds like it cant handle that for very long. (guess everyone is going to say that 3 letter abbreviation again, ha ha ha), dont know if its the difference between the pushrods vs OHC or needing a new exhaust system. but even if i go efi, what if i start revving the cuck out of it for the 110km/h up the hill, its still the 4y, or can i comfortably ignore the sound and smile cos its a reliable 4y?
Quintin
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Umhlanga
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux D/C 2 x Diff lock, 33" MT Tyre, Lexus V8, Winch, Bull Bar and Tow bar.

Post by Quintin »

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: The grin on the other drivers face Priceless, I will go for a proper VVTI V8 Lexus with a supercharger, nothing will stop you the engine will last and if you don't snap change the gears your drive train will even last. True about never getting your money back if you wanna sell but man it is nice to show the yuppy BM drivers that this old truck can outrun them robot to robot. Who cares about selling such a nice Bakkie. :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :excited: :excited: :excited:
Toyota Fortuner 3.0 D 4 D 4X4 A/T (4 play). Hilux DC 4x4, Lexus 4Lt V8, Mikhem suspension met 50mm lift, 50 mm body lift, Bilstein Shocks extra length, 33" tyre, 8 J rims, 2 x Lockers, Snorkel. (Blou Job) en dan n Peugeot 107 (Quickie).
JohanM
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Meyerton
Vehicle: Prado 120 4.0 V6
Club VHF Licence: HC126

Post by JohanM »

Sven wrote:i guess the trick is to know how much power the car can handle in the end of the day. if i really think of it, every single car i have owned i have pushed its engine to redline more then most of the time, from 1.4 corsa to 4l ford territory. but one thing scares me the most is just sticking the 4y into 3rd and revving it to death just to get up a hill at 90km/h, it just doesnt sound the same at 5000rpm then either territory or corsa. just sounds like it cant handle that for very long.(guess everyone is going to say that 3 letter abbreviation again, ha ha ha), dont know if its the difference between the pushrods vs OHC or needing a new exhaust system. but even if i go efi, what if i start revving the cuck out of it for the 110km/h up the hill, its still the 4y, or can i comfortably ignore the sound and smile cos its a reliable 4y?
Sven, to answer you in short, my EFI setup has the engine limited @ 6300 rpm for when im driving in dunes and need to rev the motor. I have pushed mine in 3 & 4th gear to 5500 rpm and yes sometimes going up hills @ 100km/h when needed i will drop to 3rd and keep it @ 5000 rpm. Never had any problems with it.

I think you should have your exhaust system changed to a 50mm free flow if it is not already done as it helps the motor breathe better. Also mine hasn't had any issues being driven sometimes hard. However with EFI on the motor I seldomly drop to 3rd gear on uphills. I had driven mine in december from Pietermaritzburg to Bergville with a full & heavy load of camping & overlanding gear and I could easily drive all the way @ 120 km/h, some uphills I just dropped to 4th to maintain speed.

Something else to think about is that the harder you rev an engine the hotter it gets, even if the water temp stays normal the motor does get hotter, thus EFI is better than carb because it has a heat sensor that as the motor gets hotter will enrichen the mixture of fuel to help cool the engine and prevent it from going to lean/hot that will lead to head gasket failure and or overheating.

Keep the 4Y and efi it and enjoy the added power with the same reliability.
Johan Marais
Hoppy
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Hilux SFA & IFS

Post by Hoppy »

I have the same driving style, all my vehicles are heavy on fuel, the best motor is a WL, 2.5 Mazda diesel. If you drive it flat out, it will still give you 7.5+ km/l
aev@iburst.co.za
The trouble with trouble is...it always starts as fun.
The most precious jewels you will ever wear around your neck is the arms of your children...
" I WOULD RATHER SIT ON THE TAILGATE OF MY HILUX WITH A BEER AND A CHOP, WATCHING A FIRE, THAN DINE IN THE BEST RESTAURANT IN TOWN "
519franco
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by 519franco »

OOOOMS wrote:If anything.....keep it standard, guys spend 10s of 1000s on conversions and still not happy. Best is if you want to sell ...... you get back less than half. I for one, would not touch or even look a conversion.
Iam very happy with my 3l v6 conversion and know a people with this conversion that is happy and i made people cinsedering to do this conversion or even had them do it
LouisZ
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux D/C 1996

Post by LouisZ »

Any engine will break if on drive the S%#@#$t out of it. Fit a Rotoray, V8 what ever.
Hoppy
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: Hilux SFA & IFS

Post by Hoppy »

3RZ 2.7I, try to break that one!
aev@iburst.co.za
The trouble with trouble is...it always starts as fun.
The most precious jewels you will ever wear around your neck is the arms of your children...
" I WOULD RATHER SIT ON THE TAILGATE OF MY HILUX WITH A BEER AND A CHOP, WATCHING A FIRE, THAN DINE IN THE BEST RESTAURANT IN TOWN "
oom dan
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: st lucia
Vehicle: hilux

Post by oom dan »

mark you are dead right toyota do things right first time round
519franco
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by 519franco »

oom dan wrote:mark you are dead right toyota do things right first time round
ok let see.
body rusts quicker than any other car ive repaird. center bearin breaks,, clutches brake engin mounts breakes. bt ja fist time round
ThysdJ
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Post by ThysdJ »

You going to get 1000 opinions from 1000 people... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: The puristas say EFI or keep original, or at least stick to Toyota motors.

I say, whatever blows your hair back dude. I had Hiluxes with Ford V6 and Hilux 4Y and 3L and 7MGE motors in them, and I was never afraid of using all of them for the purpose they were built. Whatever motor you put in there the one rule still counts. If you look after it, it will look after you!! BTW, the 2 that I enjoyed most were the 7MGE and the Ford V6. The 2 I hated most were the 4Y and the 3L. Now you can put me in a pigeon-hole too.... :lol: :lol:

Resale value? What resale value? I dont buy a car to sell it, I buy it to use it... Like DSTV subscription... you cant resell that, even if you try!! Chances are you're going to get more fun value than monetary value out of a nicely tuned up capable vehicle anyway... Go for it mate.. enjoy.. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
ismail
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Vehicle: Hilux '03 2700i SC 4x4

Post by ismail »

I second Hoppy's opinion try to break a 2.7 motor or even a 4y.
'93 DC 2.2 4x4 33" BF KM2's 60mm lift, Fakawi Canvas Canopy. SOLD
'03 SC 2700i 4x4 32" BFG KM2, SAC stage 1, OME springs, Rancho 9000XL shocks, ARB, Escape Gear seatcovers - goes like a bomb!!!!!!!!!

I surf more than I work
zepplin
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: Crooza VX 80 EFI
Club VHF Licence: HC 127

Post by zepplin »

Any Toyota motor :thumbup: :thumbup:

519franco wrote:center bearin breaks,, clutches brake engin mounts breakes.
Does the Frod have enough power to do this??
Just wear & tear I think!!
Crooza VX 80 efi - fully locked.
oom dan
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: st lucia

Post by oom dan »

good call Thys, it's a hobby modifying a hilux to how you want it, even if only a set of rims you feel good after doing it,owners age might have an influence just want mine to never breakdown in the bush!!! keep the amazing modifications going boys.
519franco
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by 519franco »

zepplin wrote:Any Toyota motor :thumbup: :thumbup:

519franco wrote:center bearin breaks,, clutches brake engin mounts breakes.
Does the Frod have enough power to do this??
Just wear & tear I think!!
if it wear and tear DAM toyota parts are realy crap then
Last edited by 519franco on Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Borntofish
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: Hilux 86

Post by Borntofish »

Oom Dan, you hit the nail tight on the head! If I fit a new screw in the dash to replace one claimed by a sinkplaat pad it makes me happy!
Quintin
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Umhlanga
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux D/C 2 x Diff lock, 33" MT Tyre, Lexus V8, Winch, Bull Bar and Tow bar.

Post by Quintin »

Just go with your hard but go big very BIG
Toyota Fortuner 3.0 D 4 D 4X4 A/T (4 play). Hilux DC 4x4, Lexus 4Lt V8, Mikhem suspension met 50mm lift, 50 mm body lift, Bilstein Shocks extra length, 33" tyre, 8 J rims, 2 x Lockers, Snorkel. (Blou Job) en dan n Peugeot 107 (Quickie).
Sven
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Sven »

To be honest about resale Value my insurance only wants too cover me for 38k as that is retail value on my lux(pretty sure some1 will offer me more then that), to me its worth more but at my current position I have had my lux for 7 years now and think I will have it for many more, so chances are it will be stolen before it gets sold. So its the fun aspect in the end.

On the subject of the freeflow exhaust, I think I should fit a 50mm pipe then andd maybe fresh branch and hear what the 4y sounds like after that before basing my decision on efi vs cconversion, now is it a real investment to have it done by guys like van der linde, or would one by speedy be good enough. Is a freeflow a freeflow? Cos I always tend to spend the extra bucks on something even if its only a tiny bit better or is this wasting money on a small capacity donkey? And that I should rather only go that route on a conversion engine that has a lot more air flowing through it.

But in the end I enjoy fiddling with the car, that's why I rebuilt it in the first place. Its also the reason why I still use a carb, I enjoy playing around and learning how everything works to get that car going.
mark watson
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: gauteng

Post by mark watson »

sven at the end of the day you have to decide what you want to do with the lux , if you have a load of camping gear , bigger tyres etc efi the 4y is a waste of money , sorry but spending 15 - 20k on the conversion ( exhaust included - would not go for 50mm but for 57mm ) and get gains of maximum 20% on the wheels if you are lucky is just not worth it , yes i do lex conversions ( sorry to be biased ) but bang for buck you cant beat it , i am driving a lux now with a 4y and it could not pull your head of if it tried ,
you have various options , efi - 15 - 20k ( 10 - 20% increase in power ) , turbo - 20 - 30k maybe more if you want to start changing internals ( 40% increase ), 7m - 30k up - but you will have to rebuild to get it reliable ( 40% ) , 2700i - 25 - 40k depending what you get with motor ( 40% ) , 3.4v6 - 40k ( decent but pricey motor ) ,
1uz non vvt - more than double the power and torque -( 40k complete conversion , manual , ss exhaust etc , maybe a couple of grand more if you have aircon ) , and replacement motor if you do screw it up 6.5k ,
it does not matter what motor you put in if you drive it like you've stolen it yes you will break something , yes there will be the prophets of doom that will tell you you are wasting your money but at the end of the day if you like your lux but dont have the power then do something about it or just sell it and go and spend 300 -400k on something that does have the power , yes you have your die hards but if i travel on the high way and i want to overtake , i dont want to wait for a straight 10km piece of road and take 10 minutes to overtake something that is doing 110kmh ,
had a good laugh the other day as somebody had an ad in the paper 30k full house lexus conversion , but when i phoned - no aircon , no power steering , motor not even stripped and cleaned , no extra electrical done ( rev counter etc ) , cone filter , mild steel exhaust , so i asked then how can it be advertised full house ( response duh ) :disgust: :disgust: , if its done properly then their price is 50 - 60k ,
but then ive seen quotes for 85k , wow , talk about getting rich with the first conversion.
if 1 thing pisses me of is when i hear the horror stories - but i was quoted 30k but when i picked it up it was then 50k, get your quote in writing .
but do yourself a favour take various conversions for a drive , speak to some of the owners and then make up your mind ,
but thats my 2 cents worth , i let my work be my advertising.

96-Luxi 4x4
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Kempton Park
Vehicle: 1996 Toyota Hilux 4x4 DC Almost Lexus V8

Post by 96-Luxi 4x4 »

:lol:

Im with Mark on this one

I'm on my 4th Hilux, have been driving them for 12 years now, and I'm only 29 :D:

Had a 2.2 4Y, unbreakable, but what brakes at that slow speed? Trucks with super links over take you. Then the 2.7 legend, put 31 BFG Muds on and 4 spots on the roll bar and it never went faster than 140, and always gave 6km/L, strong motor though, then the 2.4 22R In Luxi, again unbreakable, I have tried.

Ford V6 in my '84 roundy, have no comment there as the Bakkie is new in my garage.

Il will pay R6.5K every 6 months if I have to, replace a center portion on a diff, or have Landy fever and change side shafts daily, but having one of the meanest trucks on the road with a 4 cylinder 22R, with no power, is no More!

It has taken me 3 years to make my decision to convert, I don't care if its a quarter the value anymore. If it does not put a smile on my face, why have it?? I get so frustrated Ill burn it, never mind sell it.

Im Putting the V8, from there Ill modify more if needed, BUT, Ill be smiling driving it again!!! :boss:

M2CW
96-Luxi 4x4
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by 96-Luxi 4x4 »

PS

Mark is busy on my 1UZ VVti

I have put one of my most prized possessions in his hands. I trust him, but only took that decision cause I'm fed up.

I don't even let anybody wash it, never mind strip the engine out and Put a V8. That is how far this "reliable" 22R has pushed me. I have wished for it to brake so many times, just so I have a reason to convert.. :razz:

So, anybody need a reliable 22R, its up for grabs soon! :acute:
Tumble
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Sunninghill
Vehicle: Hilux '97 4x4 DC, Lexus V8, Power Brakes, OME, 40mm body raise, 31x15" Firestones on 30mm spacers, Gearmax Diffloc, Snorkel, dual batt, LR tank, Warn winch. 1985 FJ45 LCruiser, OME, ARB lockers FF & RR, 32x16" BFG MT's on 30mm spacers

Post by Tumble »

Hi Naas
just saw your Luxi on Saturday in mark's workshop - nice rig u got there - especially the front & rear bumpers.
i ahev excty same model (bar the fact it was a 2.8D - i blew the engine in namibia last year) and am 99% going to do the same with mark - that is - a 1UZ conversion.
2 questions - whay did you go VVT rtaher than non-VVT and why did you choose the gearbox you did choose? I dont knwo if you ahve gone auto or manual - but would like to hear your choice and reasons behind that.
cheers
Jim
p.s. mark tells me he hppes to have your engine in by Friday - in which case i am going to have a look-see fro myself!
96-Luxi 4x4
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by 96-Luxi 4x4 »

Hi Jim

Im taking auto, and this engine comes with the newer 5 speed, not 4 speed, so my first gear ratios should be better for pull away.

Then I decided VVTi as its mor economical, and gives you a better torque curve. Its got more torque at lower rpm than non vvti, so its better for 4x4.

Thats about it. Yes there is a price difference, but not much seeing that I will keep this bakkie 4ever. Thanks for the comments, but it took an arm and a leg to get it there. Front bumper is Camo accessories, friends of mine. Rear is my own creation, taking ideas from others.

He will have the engine in by Friday maybe, but there is allot of other mods that take time. Mark can take his time, I have seen his work, so I do not want to push him. Want this to be one of his best :thumbup:

Hope that covers the question. please ask if I missed something
:think:
Sven
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Sven »

Just want to find out, are all the 1uz's already prepped for unleaded or does one need to harden the seats?
had a look around for the last 2 weeks and i must say the 1uz is startig to sound like the most tempting option for a conversion, the engines
are available everywhere, and as mark says if one breaks just get another, whereas the ford v6 at this stage is a matter of finding private guys selling then. on another note of the Lexus from the importers, being in nelspruit there is one shop that has 3 units, but my only concern is that all of thems plastic covers are cracked or damaged, is this what you should expect from the importers or do the guys here get the worst of the imports, and as for the harness, the word snipped doesnt come to mind on these units, its more like it was hacked out. what are the perameters for the import engines in terms of milage, are they all relatively low or do some actually have over 200 000km. and are alot of them from cars that were in accidents?
TheoM
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Vehicle: UZJ 42 LX

Post by TheoM »

96-Luxi 4x4 wrote:PS

Mark is busy on my 1UZ VVti

I have put one of my most prized possessions in his hands. I trust him, but only took that decision cause I'm fed up.

I don't even let anybody wash it, ..
You and I are in the same boat, Naas. Only difference is that mine is a BJ42 powered by a 3B diesel donk, and I will stay with the 5sp manual cog box
:yahoo:
96-Luxi 4x4
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by 96-Luxi 4x4 »

Sven I think it should be fine for unleaded, they only started with the VVTi in 97, so I hope so, I struggle to find leaded more and more.

Theo, i went with the auto also cause my 5 speed have some noise in 4yh, and started a little in 5th. scared its not gonna last, and, I love an auto!

Cant wait to get Luxi back!
Tumble
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Vehicle: Hilux '97 4x4 DC, Lexus V8, Power Brakes, OME, 40mm body raise, 31x15" Firestones on 30mm spacers, Gearmax Diffloc, Snorkel, dual batt, LR tank, Warn winch. 1985 FJ45 LCruiser, OME, ARB lockers FF & RR, 32x16" BFG MT's on 30mm spacers

Post by Tumble »

96-Luxi 4x4 wrote:Hi Jim

Im taking auto, and this engine comes with the newer 5 speed, not 4 speed, so my first gear ratios should be better for pull away.

Then I decided VVTi as its mor economical, and gives you a better torque curve. Its got more torque at lower rpm than non vvti, so its better for 4x4.

Thats about it. Yes there is a price difference, but not much seeing that I will keep this bakkie 4ever. Thanks for the comments, but it took an arm and a leg to get it there. Front bumper is Camo accessories, friends of mine. Rear is my own creation, taking ideas from others.

He will have the engine in by Friday maybe, but there is allot of other mods that take time. Mark can take his time, I have seen his work, so I do not want to push him. Want this to be one of his best :thumbup:

Hope that covers the question. please ask if I missed something
:think:
Hi Naas
Thanks - i can see your logic on the VVt vs non-VVt - and it makes sense. I am now 99.99% there as well (pro-VVTi) - having started out thinking that a non-VVT would be fine for me. But i have a slighty different 'clincher' reason for that than u, i think! :)

My jury is still out re the AUTO vs MANUAL... but i also feel a swing towards Auto coming - I was previously stuck on the Manual, and final decision will depend on the answers i get (i hope i get :) ) on how to use engine braking on a a steep descent (off-road), with the auto box, and how well mark can marry the Spitronic to the autobox. I think that those 2 things will be the clincher. If Mark can get that spitronic to lock a gear at the flick of a swicth when going downhill in LR, then i might just be sold on the Auto. im going to be using mine mostly everyday, at least for a while - and if it is traffic-jam proof (i.e. auto) AND can trundle down a 40 degree incline like my old 2.8D did, and can work with no gremlins with the Spitronic, then the AUTO will be IN !

And another pro for Auto box would be this talk of the newer 5 speed auto box - i thought they only came with 4 speed? please tell me more !?!?

Also please let me know why u are going the LExus OEm ECU, when it seems that with the Spitronic u can do more?

Looking forward to yoru comment - im sure they are going to be very enlightening..!
Cheers
Jim
96-Luxi 4x4
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by 96-Luxi 4x4 »

I Decided to go with the OEM Lexus management because I know it was designed for this engine and gearbox, and if I do go cross border or country and have a breakdown electronic wise, Toyota / Lexus can work on it.

Then some my not agree, but the amount of Data in the original management is far more advanced with years of development, so the engine constantly remaps for best performance and economy under the circumstances. The aftermarket ones like Spitronics have only a hand full of files the ECU can choose from, so it will never run as well as with original management.

If I have to give up engine braking for that, its fine. Long run I will have less hastles I think..

I also use an original shifter from a 4L V6 Hilux that works 100% with the 5 speed Lexus box, they say its the same box, im not sure A650E
Sven
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Sven »

went to see a guy today in Nelspruit that i found out had a 1uz in his SFA, so i popped in to ask a few questions and go for a ride, he did a pretty neat job of the conversion. and i must say, i can definately want to drive it like cr@p when i go that route, ha ha! wow, if i could i would buy one today! and seeing it for the first time live in the engine bay it looks as though it was meant to be there, it fits so snug with room to work on it.
he is running off his standard manual gearbox. one thing he did say is his consumption levels at 5km/l, but that is with 33" muds. i would blame it on the tyres that his consumption is so bad, or could it be bad mapping? i was under the impression one needs to open up the engine once you get it from the importers, he says he only gave it a clean and it ran perfect. is this standard procedure? just thought that a 1994 motor that has only done 50 000km has been standing for long periods at a time, that the seals could perish or is it nothing to worry about?
96-Luxi 4x4
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by 96-Luxi 4x4 »

Some put it in as is, but most have said they open it up a bit, change the crank oil seal, major service, and change the cam belt.

A big thing also is to make sure the sump clears the front diff moving, most modify this and the pickup to clear the diff moving, and have enough oil to pickup when going up and down on 4x4 hills. Standard sump may run dry on incline/decline, and seaze the motor.

Can hurt to do the basic changes before putting it in.

On mine Mark is:
Changing sump and pickup
oil seal / s, dont know how many
cam belt
filters
plugs
etc

he also painted the block, electroplates all bolts and nuts in gold to look new
powdercoats tappet covers and throttle body.

Although mine will have the big black cover to cover most of the engine, underneath it still looks good.

Mark's idea is that you should be proud to open the bonnet, this I like! :thumbup:
scout
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: White River
Vehicle: 91 Hilux dc -pro comp , arb bb , winch , 33'' muds

Post by scout »

Hi Sven

What was the name off the hilux owner in Nelspruit?
" Yes I know we are lost , but we are making good time "
Tumble
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Tumble »

Naas I saw yours in on Tuesday - man its looking good !
Mine should be in by end of the week.

Question for you - how big are your rims (8J / 9J ?) and where did you get them and at what cost?
They look very good.
do you know the max size tyre you can go on a standard 7J steel hilux rim ? As far as i know its about a 265 (or 31 inch)

appreciate any help...
96-Luxi 4x4
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by 96-Luxi 4x4 »

Hi Jim

Thanks man

The rims I have on there now are 10J with an offset of -44 I think, very deep dish in front. Bought from a very secluded place between middelburg and bethal, paid +- R4K for the set.

I have seen the land-rover guys put 35" on a 7J. I would say easily up to 32" (285). The wider rims just make the tyres look bigger, and better to me.

Cool :thumbup:

Return to “Engine conversions (Lexus/7M-GE/3RZ-FE etc)”