97 SFA - Lexus V8 1UZ Conversion.... AUTO vs MANUAL

Post questions, advice and pictures of Engine conversions here
Tumble
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Sunninghill
Vehicle: Hilux '97 4x4 DC, Lexus V8, Power Brakes, OME, 40mm body raise, 31x15" Firestones on 30mm spacers, Gearmax Diffloc, Snorkel, dual batt, LR tank, Warn winch. 1985 FJ45 LCruiser, OME, ARB lockers FF & RR, 32x16" BFG MT's on 30mm spacers

97 SFA - Lexus V8 1UZ Conversion.... AUTO vs MANUAL

Post by Tumble »

Hi All
I've just committed to go this route - having spent MANY hours reading the posts on the topic here on this website - which have all been very useful - and following up with
various people, again found from this site. (Thanks to all for that! :thumbup: )
Now I have another decision - AUTO or MANUAL ???
Ive heard most of the pro's and con's and its seems its horses for courses, as they say.
One question not yet answered is the matter of hill descent in an AUTO - how to control the revs and the speed if you in a very steep offroad downhill?
I've also heard of torque converter 'lock-ups' for Auto transmission - which can lock a gear when in a descent - but i dont know anything about them.

Any comments out there?
Last edited by Tumble on Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Re: 97 SFA - Lexus V8 1UZ Conversion....

Post by OOOOMS »

With any petrol you will have less compression than that of a diesel.

Q: why then put a V8 in ???

You want more power, not so? However it does have it's disadvantages off-road, be it Auto or Man.....

Q: How often do you use it? Or can it be avoided on a trail, if you drive trails?
CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Post by CasKru »

I would opt for manual
To God be the glory
Tumble
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Vehicle: Hilux '97 4x4 DC, Lexus V8, Power Brakes, OME, 40mm body raise, 31x15" Firestones on 30mm spacers, Gearmax Diffloc, Snorkel, dual batt, LR tank, Warn winch. 1985 FJ45 LCruiser, OME, ARB lockers FF & RR, 32x16" BFG MT's on 30mm spacers

Post by Tumble »

OOOOMS wrote:With any petrol you will have less compression than that of a diesel.

Q: why then put a V8 in ???

You want more power, not so? However it does have it's disadvantages off-road, be it Auto or Man.....

Q: How often do you use it? Or can it be avoided on a trail, if you drive trails?
I had the 2.8D with a alpine turbo for many years - great engine if not a bit underpowered - it got me to many inetresting places and back - but i blew it last year in namibia. So 2.8 is now gone / kaput - and need a new engine. Always wanted a V8 - so thats why that choice.

As for use - I will use it as an everyday vehicle (yes traffic taking kids to school!) and pay the cost of the fuel - BUT also for long overland trips and for some fun offroad on trails /challenges course. But just for fun - not competition or anything tooo hectic.

So there it is :)
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Post by Mr_B »

Cassie, manual is great, and before I spoke to the okes that have been there and done that I would have said manual as well... but now having seen with my own 2 eyes... Lexus V8 auto is the way to go! Allan has had to convert a few manual Lexus V8's to auto... fact is that this engine eats gearboxes, and yes I've heard many guys say "Just drive is nicely"... that's impossible... with all that power under foot, you going to let rip every now and then! The auto-changer(gear shift) does have the option for 1,2,3 and auto 5, some have a auto 4 speed as well. When in 1, 2, 3 it's like a manual, you would really have to over rev it bad to force a gear shift up, and this is more to protect the engine from damage. An aftermarket auto transmission controller(ECU), like the Spitronics unit, will allow adjusting of the gear-up point!

Also a V8 produces considerable engine breaking effect, maybe not as much as a high compression diesel, but enough for most situations!
96-Luxi 4x4
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Kempton Park
Vehicle: 1996 Toyota Hilux 4x4 DC Almost Lexus V8

Post by 96-Luxi 4x4 »

Mark Watson is busy with mine also, 4L 1UZ VVTi, doing auto 5 speed, but also had the same question.

I drove another V8 Auto conversion, and unfortunately no engine braking.

I also read about the converter lock up, and think these auto boxes have the fuction, but Mark said its done by the computer, to give the signal to the box to lock up. Its normally in overdrive mode to save on powerloss that is common with a torque converter. Because im putting the original harness and computers of the engine, Mark said he did not want to mess with it to try and give me that option of locking it when I want. We are scared we burn a computer or something.

This is also an issue I will have to sort out. But must say, the new hilux auto, 98 jeep auto also does not have engine brake according to me.

Only option is the brakes, but be very carefull not to lock up the wheels.

Please let me know if there is a way!

I also do not trust the reliability of the old manual box, and driving an auto is nice :mrgreen:
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Mr_B »

Am I missing something... are we not talking about engine braking effect? This is when an engine runs against compression in a set gear, ala L1... so as not to speed up on a steep descent... from Wikipedia:
The term engine braking usually refers to the braking effect caused by the closed-throttle partial-vacuum in petrol (gasoline) engines when the accelerator pedal is released. While some of the braking force is due to friction in the drive train, this is negligible compared to the effect from the vacuum.

When the throttle is closed, the air flow to the intake manifold is greatly restricted. The concept can be illustrated by the amount of effort required to blow/suck through a thin tube vs. a thicker one. It is the work the engine has to do against this restricted air flow that provides the braking effect.
All I know is that my V6 auto provides much better engine breaking than my 4Y manual!
96-Luxi 4x4
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by 96-Luxi 4x4 »

Yes that is exactly what we mean, But I heard from the guys the Hilux 4L Auto does not brake?? Maybe they were wrong.

I know most of the older autos go into free wheel on the torque converter so it does not put reverse torque on the motor to use compression to brake.

I need this, so hope I can make it work some how.
TOYOTA 4YEFI
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Land Cruisr 80

Post by TOYOTA 4YEFI »

Hi the new spitronics gearbox managment has a function that allows you to have engine brake in lowrange it has a profile switch that you just switch when you put it into lowrange and it has engine brake that will go down to 600 rpm where it has to disengadge the lockup in the gearbox just to protect the gearbox i have done two of these conversions and it works great
96-Luxi 4x4
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by 96-Luxi 4x4 »

Sounds good.

Im putting the original management system and harnesses, what do you suggest we do there?

Would love to have the same!
Tumble
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Tumble »

Mr_B wrote:Cassie, manual is great, and before I spoke to the okes that have been there and done that I would have said manual as well... but now having seen with my own 2 eyes... Lexus V8 auto is the way to go! Allan has had to convert a few manual Lexus V8's to auto... fact is that this engine eats gearboxes, and yes I've heard many guys say "Just drive is nicely"... that's impossible... with all that power under foot, you going to let rip every now and then! The auto-changer(gear shift) does have the option for 1,2,3 and auto 5, some have a auto 4 speed as well. When in 1, 2, 3 it's like a manual, you would really have to over rev it bad to force a gear shift up, and this is more to protect the engine from damage. An aftermarket auto transmission controller(ECU), like the Spitronics unit, will allow adjusting of the gear-up point!

Also a V8 produces considerable engine breaking effect, maybe not as much as a high compression diesel, but enough for most situations!
Hi Mr B / Mr T (? :) ),
thanks for your input -ive heard the 'eats gearboxes' and the 'not if you drive it carefully' arguments before, and I agree - with all that power on tap you are bound to be tempted eventually if not everyday... :twisted:
You refer to 'The auto-changer' having 'options for auto 1,2,3, and 5'. Are you referring to the auto-changer / Lexus transmission that comes 'standard' with the 1UZ?

Appreciate your clarification of the above, if you could.
Tumble
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Tumble »

TOYOTA 4YEFI wrote:Hi the new spitronics gearbox managment has a function that allows you to have engine brake in lowrange it has a profile switch that you just switch when you put it into lowrange and it has engine brake that will go down to 600 rpm where it has to disengadge the lockup in the gearbox just to protect the gearbox i have done two of these conversions and it works great
Hi Juan
That's v interesting. It sounds like exactly what anyone who would like the town/traffic ease of an Auto, but without sacrificing the practicality of also having off-road engine braking, would want.
Question must be asked tho - does the OEM Lexus ECU that comes with the 1UZ not have the same function?
And - does this option have any adverse effect on the transmission or engine?

Cheers
Jim
Tumble
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Tumble »

96-Luxi 4x4 wrote:Sounds good.

Im putting the original management system and harnesses, what do you suggest we do there?

Would love to have the same!
Naas,
given TOYOTA 4YEFI comments and a few more of the above comments - its sounds like you should be considering swapping that OEM ECU for a Spitronics ! ;-)
TOYOTA 4YEFI
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Land Cruisr 80

Re: 97 SFA - Lexus V8 1UZ Conversion.... AUTO vs MANUAL

Post by TOYOTA 4YEFI »

The oem managment doens not come with that function it was spicificaly developed by spitronics because of the problem when going downhill and it has no effect on the engine or trans other than saving fuel in town it also uses the lockup function in 3rd and 4th gear when driving on the highway so when ging downhill the revs does not drop down slowly like other auto transmissions witch helps while towing a caravan or trailer (it also has a towing mode witch will only take yhe gears up to 3rd to keep the engine from labouring from to low revs)
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Mr_B »

I believe the newer generation 4x4 configured auto's offer engine braking. My Toyota owner manual states that the V6 auto provides best engine brake effect in L, and that the engine will not shift up to 2nd when you have engage L. My gut feel is that this 'feature' is only available in 4x4 engine/gearbox configs, so if your donor engine/autobox was not from a 4x4 then it probably won't offer the engine braking/torque converter lock-up feature with the OEM ECU. Then I'd guess it's better to go the aftermarket ECU way, for this feature!
96-Luxi 4x4
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by 96-Luxi 4x4 »

I Agree

I Decided to go with the OEM Lexus management because I know it was designed for this engine and gearbox, and if I do go cross border or country and have a breakdown electronic wise, Toyota / Lexus can work on it.

Then some my not agree, but the amount of Data in the original management is far more advanced with years of development, so the engine constantly remaps for best performance and economy under the circumstances. The aftermarket ones like Spitronics have only a hand full of files the ECU can choose from, so it will never run as well as with original management.

If I have to give up engine braking for that, its fine. Long run I will have less hastles I think..

I also use an original shifter from a 4L V6 Hilux that works 100% with the 5 speed Lexus box, they say its the same box, im not sure A650E

The Lexus shifter also had the L function, maybe (I hope), it will also lock up and stay there, because I know in L it also does not shift to second. Maybe all cars with L Have the lockup, lets hold thumbs! :beg:
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Mr_B »

I may be wrong, but from what I've been able to research it looks like the 4L V6 Vigo uses the A750F auto trans, which has some 4x4 based enhancements like the L1 torque converter lockup. Then, from what I can gather A650E was specced in the front and rear wheel drive Lexus vehicles.
96-Luxi 4x4
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by 96-Luxi 4x4 »

I Know it was in the Lexus vehicles yes, so that means the Vigo has a newer box.

Damn, how do I then get mine to lockup? They say it does it automatically in top gear when you driving long distance to save power loss, but I do not know about L on the lexus cars, probably not :evil:

Eish :eh:

What now? :think:
96-Luxi 4x4
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by 96-Luxi 4x4 »

Seeing Mark that is doing my conversion tomorrow, will hear what he says.

last time he said he does not want to mess with the electronics, I Agree.
Hiluxfan_111
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Muscat and Midrand
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4

Post by Hiluxfan_111 »

Naas you are correct.
You will not believe the amount of time and money invested by the manufacturers to get the mapping of the ECU 100%. So for drivability and reliability you cannot beat the standard ECU.
However as soon as you want to make any modifications you are stumped because the standard ECU is locked and not just anybody can make changes inside.
The only way is to go with an aftermarket stand-alone ECU. Unfortunately only the high end (read expensive) ECUs can control the VVTI properly, and then you need lots of time tuning it if you want it to run well.
I am also planning a 3uz swap and will either go with the standard ECU or something like Motec that can control engine and gearbox.
96-Luxi 4x4
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by 96-Luxi 4x4 »

That what I have heard, so Im on the right track, thanks for confirming.

i have spoken with the guys at Spitronics, they are busy with their software, but are still struggling with the gearbox side on the 5 speed like for my 1UZ VVTi, and have nothing yet for the 6 speed box on the 3UZ.

I have decided before starting the project Im prepared to give up engine brake for the reliability of standard electronics.

Braking with the brakes downhill is not clever, but if you do it right, and dont lock up the wheels it also works. Even with heavy compression on slippery downhill with engine brake you can also slip..

So, I have made piece with it already. Just a new driving technique I will have to learn :clap:

let us know when you start with the 3UZ, i also thought of it, but the used engine is much more expensive, and it starting to become really to much power for the old SFA :thumbup:
Tumble
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Tumble »

Well the old diesel 2.8 is in for the upgrade now!
Mark Watson in Springs is doing the job and has started on the new engine - the 2.8 is already out and im looking forward to seeing the prgress on the new ... Mark - i know you are helluva busy - but how about some pics here on the forum?? :D: :D: :D: :D:
96-Luxi 4x4
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by 96-Luxi 4x4 »

Jim

Mine has been there for almost 3 weeks now, hope mine wil go out before yours

:beg:
Tumble
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Tumble »

96-Luxi 4x4 wrote:Jim

Mine has been there for almost 3 weeks now, hope mine wil go out before yours

:beg:

Ha ha Naas !!!
I didnt tell you but i slipped Mark a little soemthing extra to get mine out by Friday :) :)
:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

No only joking of course ! - And I am very much looking forward to seeing yours and hearing how it goes. It will be very interesting for us to compare notes on the Auto vs Manual since we will have everything else pretty much identical.
Because of mine being manual i will theroretically not take as long as yours - Mark said 3 weeks for me.
Keep us up to date :)
Cheers
Jim
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Mr_B »

Tumble wrote:Because of mine being manual i will theroretically not take as long as yours - Mark said 3 weeks for me.
Mark meant 3 weeks after Naas's is complete... :twisted:
Tumble
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Tumble »

Mr_B wrote:
Tumble wrote:Because of mine being manual i will theroretically not take as long as yours - Mark said 3 weeks for me.
Mark meant 3 weeks after Naas's is complete... :twisted:

oh no! really - i will have slip a few more greenbacks mr marks way ha ha !! :0
Hoppy
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: Hilux SFA & IFS

Post by Hoppy »

Definately auto on a lexus, and i hate auto boxes.

We use Dicktator management systems, if you engage the tiptronic function, it stays in the selected gear and provides enough engine braking.
aev@iburst.co.za
The trouble with trouble is...it always starts as fun.
The most precious jewels you will ever wear around your neck is the arms of your children...
" I WOULD RATHER SIT ON THE TAILGATE OF MY HILUX WITH A BEER AND A CHOP, WATCHING A FIRE, THAN DINE IN THE BEST RESTAURANT IN TOWN "
mark watson
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: gauteng
Vehicle: hilux

Post by mark watson »

lol , no naas yours is being worked on at the moment so dont worry there , yes more work on yours because of the auto but having my adaptor already done for the transfer saves a lot , but when we get the plates done for the mountings my guys will do 2 sets ,one for you and one for jims , jims will be straight forward as its manual and we are going the spitronics system , naas your wiring i will do and wes will do jims but i did get a unmolested harness for the vvt for yours , at the end of the day there is six of us so everybody has there own area of work and they know what is expected from them , so that is why we can tackle more than 1 at a time , yes the 12 is a project vehicle and nobody has done one so everything has to be done from scratch , jim your motor is being torn down at the moment so the stuff can go for powdercoat and plating , engine bay is now spotless. at the same time where time was saved on jims is it was already stripped when it got to the shop. thanks jim
Tumble
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Tumble »

Hi Mark
re the powder coating - i may as well go for red. maybe a bit OTT but what the hell.
lets be loud and proud as they say!
cheers
Jim
96-Luxi 4x4
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by 96-Luxi 4x4 »

lol, cool. If mine was not white, I would have also gone for an interesting colour maybe.
TheoM
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Vehicle: UZJ 42 LX

Post by TheoM »

96-Luxi 4x4 wrote:lol, cool. If mine was not white, I would have also gone for an interesting colour maybe.
So what combination have you decided to go with Naas ?
I like a polished/chrome/silver & flatblack "stealthy" sort of a look but will wait for some suggestions from Mark, once he has seen Olive ... :think:
mark watson
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by mark watson »

theo here is naas colours same as yours unless you tell me otherwise

a customer wanted red today but it came out burnt orange but everybody to his liking.

but the dummy motor in naas

mark watson
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by mark watson »

theo the covers will be flat black so i think everything else will go like a dream , but its your olive at the end of the day so maybe olives colour on the manifold and covers might look very neat. :) :) :)
TheoM
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by TheoM »

That polished silver look on the VVTi has me drooling already, Mark.So I am 98% happy with it as is, with the flat black covers..

But do you have some pics of a VVTi with additional colours ? Not sure about adding Olive Grey/Greyish Olive/Toyota 6H9, though? Wait till you open her bonnet and get a feel for her yourself....Remember I restored her as a working girl and not as a showpiece ! :confused:
mark watson
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by mark watson »

i have a couple of covers that jim wanted red but after powder coating they look flippin orange , but will sort next week , there is 4 vvt motors here so we will check , just sorting the ecu hiccup on adolfs 62 then we can start pulling olives old heart.
petoors
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Vehicle: 4x4 hilux

Post by petoors »

Hi guys ...just wandering ??? ...Is this not the same motor that runs in the tundra 4x4 bakkie ?? why not get a tundra box then ? Well ...if possible ...or complete tundra motor & box ...
ImageALLES LOOP REG ALTYD REG, TOYOTA !!!!Image
Tumble
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Tumble »

TheoM wrote:That polished silver look on the VVTi has me drooling already, Mark.So I am 98% happy with it as is, with the flat black covers..

But do you have some pics of a VVTi with additional colours ? Not sure about adding Olive Grey/Greyish Olive/Toyota 6H9, though? Wait till you open her bonnet and get a feel for her yourself....Remember I restored her as a working girl and not as a showpiece ! :confused:

Hi Theo
I've just been out to see my Lux at Mark's - and had a look at your Olive - what a beauty! I see you have cut off the closed back - but apart from that is she all original?
I have a FJ45 whose engine (2F) needs an overhaul - she is VERY thirsty on both petrol and oil - and was wondering how much you want for your diesel from Olive? Given she is still available of course... also if you have the consumption and power/torque figures that would be interesting to know.
As a matter of interest do you know anyone else who has doen the Lexus conversion on a BJ40 FJ40/45 ? You will have to be easy on the peddle Im guessing - the power available is going to be awesome! Im sure Mark can tell me - but what other mods do you need to cater for all that power & torque you will have available on Olive ? Im considering doing the same conversion for my FJ45 (vs a recon of the 2F, or a replacement with a turbo diesel).
Would appreciate your comments :)
Cheers
Jim
TheoM
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by TheoM »

Tumble wrote:
TheoM wrote:That polished silver look on the VVTi has me drooling already, Mark.So I am 98% happy with it as is, with the flat black covers..

Hi Theo
I've just been out to see my Lux at Mark's - and had a look at your Olive - what a beauty! I see you have cut off the closed back - but apart from that is she all original?
I have a FJ45 whose engine (2F) needs an overhaul - she is VERY thirsty on both petrol and oil - and was wondering how much you want for your diesel from Olive? Given she is still available of course... also if you have the consumption and power/torque figures that would be interesting to know.
As a matter of interest do you know anyone else who has doen the Lexus conversion on a BJ40 FJ40/45 ? You will have to be easy on the peddle Im guessing - the power available is going to be awesome! Im sure Mark can tell me - but what other mods do you need to cater for all that power & torque you will have available on Olive ? Im considering doing the same conversion for my FJ45 (vs a recon of the 2F, or a replacement with a turbo diesel).
Would appreciate your comments :)
Cheers
Jim
Hi Jim.

I haven't cut anything on her.She is a completely original BJ 42 LX from Aus.I just haven't finished with the restoration of the hard top, full rear and side doors.Those crap half doors I just made out of stuffed doors for when she is open top cos the wife was complaining about falling out ! That 3B motor has only done 18K kms since the rebuild in Aus - I put 10k kms of those on in SA since I restored her.Power and torque is close to the 2F and consumption was ave of 7.5 to 8.5 km/l. It is the same motor that Toyota had in the BJ45 and BJ 60 ser so it would be an easy swap. A friend rebuilt one of those B series motors and it cost him more than 40 K. The infamous JB from JB's Autos in Cape Town knows my motor very well and reckons 20K is a giveaway but I want @18K - at that price you get all the OEM scarce extras eg P/S pump and bracketry, A/C, tripple pully, brand new viscous clutch(3.7K) etc etc with a host of other expensive spare parts. THese motors are legendary ITO reliabillity - Just search 3B on IH8MUD and you will see.

My buddy JT is doing a 1UZ FE non VVTi into his FJ40 that he is busy restoring.Mark is busy prepping his motor. Yeah I will have to watch my right foot but in a 40 with such a SWB you cannot drive faster than 120km/h anyway so my aim was not to drive faster than that but more to be able to maintain that under any conditions.Fortunately I have the stock H55F box witch is just as legendary for being bulletproof strong.In NZ there is a guy who has been running a TT BJ40 1UZ FE for the last 5 years with stock parts including radiator so ...
Last edited by TheoM on Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mark watson
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by mark watson »

jim , for that price for theos motor , its a flippin good deal , you saw it in the flesh and its very neat , wont pick something like this up every day. and it will almost bolt straight in , but it depends what you want at the end of the day , but did take olive for a spin and she went very well with the turbo diesel. but she is a masterpiece
mark watson
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by mark watson »

motor in and mounted , so we are getting there.
TheoM
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by TheoM »

Jim are you going with the Spitronics and manual box combo ?
mark watson
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by mark watson »

yes theo , manual box with the spitronics , should be going for aircon thursday ( well its booked ).
TheoM
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by TheoM »

Thanks Mark. It would be interesting to compare usual performance figures of the Spitronics system vs OEM UCU especially the torque figures at low revs eg 1000 RPM ??

Now you got me thinking about A/C for Olive. Does your A/C guy do full systems at reasonable prices ? :crazy:
jakeslouw
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Brits
Vehicle: Land Rover

Post by jakeslouw »

TheoM wrote:Thanks Mark. It would be interesting to compare usual performance figures of the Spitronics system vs OEM UCU especially the torque figures at low revs eg 1000 RPM ??
Yes, that would be nice.

The factory torque curve is flat from around 1000rpm, starting at 210 lb-ft (280Nm) and peaking at around 350/360Nm at just over 4000rpm. See attached pic.

So I'd like to see a dyno graph for a Spitronics conversion if somebody has one?
Attachments
dyno graph lexus V8.JPG
dyno graph lexus V8.JPG (11.9 KiB) Viewed 14086 times
TheoM
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by TheoM »

mark watson wrote:yes theo , manual box with the spitronics , should be going for aircon thursday ( well its booked ).
So Jim, how is your VVTI trok with the Spitronics and manual box ? :clap:
Quintin
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Umhlanga
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux D/C 2 x Diff lock, 33" MT Tyre, Lexus V8, Winch, Bull Bar and Tow bar.

Post by Quintin »

Why is there no picks
Toyota Fortuner 3.0 D 4 D 4X4 A/T (4 play). Hilux DC 4x4, Lexus 4Lt V8, Mikhem suspension met 50mm lift, 50 mm body lift, Bilstein Shocks extra length, 33" tyre, 8 J rims, 2 x Lockers, Snorkel. (Blou Job) en dan n Peugeot 107 (Quickie).
TheoM
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by TheoM »

So how did it go on the Dyno, Jim ? :clap:
mark watson
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by mark watson »

took the filter of the snorkel and wooma it went like a bat out of hell theo , but we set it up that no mods just drop the donaldson back in for dirty road travelling , hilux was running well but the vvt motor just destroyed the gearbox as it was loaded to the hilt ( just a word of caution the motor wont labour at 1500 - 2000 rpm but in fifth gear for the old hilux 5 speed boxes it cannot take the threefold amount of torque that it is now required to handle , rather keep it in 4th gear and live with the consumption ) only when at less than 15% throttle on an open road then put it in 5th . if it was a cruiser box it would laugh at it.

Return to “Engine conversions (Lexus/7M-GE/3RZ-FE etc)”