SUKIBOS
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Warmbaths Limpopo
Vehicle: 1989 HILUX 2.2

3Y Engine - idling eratically

Post by SUKIBOS »

Eventually the Suzuki Vitara with brand new 3Y Engine started, :yahoo:
everything sorted except, the idling - she doesn't idle below 1500 rpm, and the ref counter plays up and down between 1500 & 1700. The timing is set a 8 degrees BTDC, any idees on what's causing this. She runs "windgat" except for the fact that she's going to be very thirsty with her idling so high. I cannot set the idling screw more, she dies below 1500 rpm.
Attachments
Image0059.jpg
Image0060.jpg
SUKIBOS
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Re: 3Y Engine - idling eratically

Post by SUKIBOS »

Ag asseblief, iemand help tog net. My vrou moet asb. nog hierdie week haar eie kar begin ry - my bakkie lyk soos 'n asgat!! (koeldrank blikke, tissues & sweets papiere)!!! Om nie eers te praat van die weg gesteekte droë wors onder die seat nie!! :beg: :beg: :beg: :beg: :beg:
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Are the electricals and vacuums correctly connected? ...... could be it's sucking air on a vacuum hose. :think:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
SUKIBOS
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by SUKIBOS »

Thank you for the suggestion, it got me thinking... :think: the suzuki had 3 fuel lines, one is an extra line that was connected to a charcoal canister for emission control, fitting the 3Y there is no need for the canister. I blocked the line, but I think that maybe she is still somehow getting air through that line. I will remove that fuel line and block it off at the tank, I hope that works.
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Post by Mr_B »

Have you connected an ignition positive to the idle cut-off valve solenoid? If this solenoid isn't energised when the engine running, it won't idle no matter what!
SUKIBOS
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by SUKIBOS »

After spending alot of money taking the car to a mechanic, still we weren't sorted with the 3Y. I took the wiring diagram and studied it for the 7000th time an whallla!!! The solution: the carburator was missing a ground wire - CAN YOU BELIEVE IT!!! After months of battling, sore hands, frustration , it's a blerrie WIRE!!! :alvarin: :alvarin: :alvarin: :alvarin:
Thanks for everybody's advise. It was the best move to fit the 3Y into the Suzuki, she runs like a dream!!
krazy_kameleon
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Fourways
Vehicle: 1993 Hilux D/C 4X4 2.4 22R (fuel injection in the pipeline)

Post by krazy_kameleon »

Glad you came right - I could have sworn I answered this post with exactly that suggestion a week or ago???

Maybe it was another 3Y??

I learned the hardway too on an engine transplant in my golf. damn earth strap wire prevented the idle shut-off valve from grounding

Return to “Engine conversions (Lexus/7M-GE/3RZ-FE etc)”