Essex v6 3.0

Post questions, advice and pictures of Engine conversions here
wahand
Town: Naboomspruit
Vehicle: Mazda Drifter

Essex v6 3.0

Post by wahand »

Ek sukkel met my ford v6 engine - het iemand dalk 'n manual - ek kry niks op die internet nie asseblief.
519franco
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Richards bay
Vehicle: 87 Hilux 3L v6 Ford

Re: Essex v6 3.0

Post by 519franco »

What is wrong.
HAPPILY BUILD 3L V6 1987 TOYOTA HILUX
viewtopic.php?f=136&t=18393" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
FORD> Full Off Road Damnation
FORD> Its not oil leaks,, its swearing power
Sponser: MY DAD
Builder: ME: FRANCO DU PLESSIS
zepplin
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Crooza VX 80 EFI
Club VHF Licence: HC 127

Post by zepplin »

Check the oil!!!!!
Crooza VX 80 efi - fully locked.
Stubs
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Onrusrivier Hermanus
Vehicle: 89, Hilux D/cab 3.0L V6 Ford !!

Post by Stubs »

stevo you so funny!!! :mocking:

I have a manual, send me your email dress and I can forward on.....

You will find no help on this forum but a select few who have the Ford V6...because everyone else has no problems with their V8 lexus's, 4Y, 22R's, :lmao: ......

its a great engine....
96-Luxi 4x4
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Kempton Park
Vehicle: 1996 Toyota Hilux 4x4 DC Almost Lexus V8

Post by 96-Luxi 4x4 »

Hi Guys

Seems like I have some of the Ford V6 Guyes here. In my other Hilux, my 84 stout single cab 4x4 I have a ford V6, but think it needs some attention. It struggles a bit to start, smokes a bit, and has a few oil leaks.

Should I pull the motor and overhaul it (what would the cost be +-), or do i go with the normal 1UZ V8 on the 5 speed manual.

I think the Ford is enough power, but just thinking of cost and reliability, and also to keep everything Toyota

Thanks
krazy_kameleon
Town: Fourways
Vehicle: 1993 Hilux D/C 4X4 2.4 22R (fuel injection in the pipeline)

Post by krazy_kameleon »

:twisted:
96-Luxi 4x4 wrote:Hi Guys

Seems like I have some of the Ford V6 Guyes here. In my other Hilux, my 84 stout single cab 4x4 I have a ford V6, but think it needs some attention. It struggles a bit to start, smokes a bit, and has a few oil leaks.

Should I pull the motor and overhaul it (what would the cost be +-), or do i go with the normal 1UZ V8 on the 5 speed manual.

I think the Ford is enough power, but just thinking of cost and reliability, and also to keep everything Toyota

Thanks
You know what they say "if it doesn't leak oil it needs filling up" :twisted:
zepplin
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: Crooza VX 80 EFI
Club VHF Licence: HC 127

Post by zepplin »

Like Land Rover, Ford is now selling oil in different colours so you can match it to your paving.
Crooza VX 80 efi - fully locked.
krazy_kameleon
Town: Fourways
Vehicle: 1993 Hilux D/C 4X4 2.4 22R (fuel injection in the pipeline)

Post by krazy_kameleon »

zepplin wrote:Like Land Rover, Ford is now selling oil in different colours so you can match it to your paving.
:lmao: need to get some for my Ssangyong Musso
Rider
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Richards Bay
Vehicle: 1987 Toyota Hilux 4x4 d/c 40mm body lift, KZ-TE Diff with Diff lock, Snorkel, 31" AT tyres , Powered by FORD 3.0 V6 uprated.

Post by Rider »

zepplin wrote:Like Land Rover, Ford is now selling oil in different colours so you can match it to your paving.
:lmao: Lol
PROUD OWNER OF A TOYOTA HILUX AKA AMA-HIPZ
96-Luxi 4x4
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by 96-Luxi 4x4 »

Thanks guys, but was hoping for some real advice
Racer-X
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Port Elizabeth
Vehicle: none

Post by Racer-X »

I would also like the manual
where can i get it from?
Stubs

Post by Stubs »

Hi Julien, I have the manual, send me your email address and during the course of the day will email it to you, its about 6 emails in total as another guy on the fourm was so kind to scan it and email it to me

cheers Stubs
Kat
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Kraaifontein
Vehicle: Hilux SFA

Post by Kat »

Also got a Ford V6 in my bakkie, and not ashamed of it, bought my vehicle already with the convertion done to it!!!!! Easy and cheap to fix, and spares readily available. Just want to know if the 4y engine mountings is a straight fit or do you need to modify the mounting brackets that bolt onto the engineblock to fit 4y mountings???? Still uses the old Ford mountings and already replaced four, so they don't seem to be that strong in the bakkie!!!! Furtheron no hickups with the engine, and been driving it for six years now.
Thabogrobler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '02 'Lux KZ
Club VHF Licence: x223

Post by Thabogrobler »

96-Luxi 4x4 wrote:Hi Guys

Thanks
Naas,

The Exxex V6 is still the cheapest Rand/kw you can get!

I'm not an expert but I'm pretty sure you can recon that V6 for under R5k!

I can not see that you can do a Lexus conversion for under R40k and then you have teething problems et al.
'02 KZ 'Lux. Cooled. Chipped. Onca'd. Cherished!

If you are a diesel fan, raise your hand.
If you aren't raising your hand, raise your standards!

A 4x4 is merely a machine that enables you to get stuck further away from civilization.
ThysdJ
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Post by ThysdJ »

Kat wrote:Also got a Ford V6 in my bakkie, and not ashamed of it, bought my vehicle already with the convertion done to it!!!!! Easy and cheap to fix, and spares readily available. Just want to know if the 4y engine mountings is a straight fit or do you need to modify the mounting brackets that bolt onto the engineblock to fit 4y mountings???? Still uses the old Ford mountings and already replaced four, so they don't seem to be that strong in the bakkie!!!! Furtheron no hickups with the engine, and been driving it for six years now.
Dont use the std Ford v6 engine mountings. They cannot handle the L/R torque and break. Use the std 4Y engine mountings. They last. I had the same problem on my V6 conversion. You can ask Hoppy how he managed to get them in there. :thumbup: :thumbup:
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
96-Luxi 4x4
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by 96-Luxi 4x4 »

Cool. Thanks guys. This helps my decision,when the time is right I will just recon the motor and change engine mountings and re do carb.

Is there a carb kit available for these carbs? I dont know but seems like the standard carb?
The Legend
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: 1994 2.2 4y 4x4 D/C Toyota Hi-Lux
Club VHF Licence: X93-

Post by The Legend »

Hi Naas

Soos ek verstaan is daardie v6 Ford motors op hulle gelukkigste met n 38 weber card op hulle kits is vollop beskikbaar.
“A BAD DAYS FISHING IS BETTER THAN A GOOD DAYS WORK”

“Do what you do so well, that the people that see you do it, will want to see you do it again,and will bring others to see you do it”
Kat
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Kat »

Hallo Naas

Die V6 het standaard uitgekom met 'n 38 weber DGAS. Ek weet Echlin maak 'n kit vir die carburettor's, en midas behoort dit te verkoop. Hoop dit help.
Kat
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Kat »

ThysdJ wrote:
Kat wrote:Also :thumbup: got a Ford V6 in my bakkie, and not ashamed of it, bought my vehicle already with the convertion done to it!!!!! Easy and cheap to fix, and spares readily available. Just want to know if the 4y engine mountings is a straight fit or do you need to modify the mounting brackets that bolt onto the engineblock to fit 4y mountings???? Still uses the old Ford mountings and already replaced four, so they don't seem to be that strong in the bakkie!!!! Furtheron no hickups with the engine, and been driving it for six years now.
Dont use the std Ford v6 engine mountings. They cannot handle the L/R torque and break. Use the std 4Y engine mountings. They last. I had the same problem on my V6 conversion. You can ask Hoppy how he managed to get them in there. :thumbup: :thumbup:
Dankie vir die info Thys
:thumbup:
Sifu-Lux
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Mount Vernon Illinois
Vehicle: GMC Sierra SLT Z71 (Used to drive a '91 SFA Hilux YN67R 4x4 ,Full OME, ARB lockers front and rear, Ford 3L V6, 35mm axle move, 33" General Grabber X3's and dual transfer cases....... Keep her safe Mud Dog!

Post by Sifu-Lux »

Got my carb kit and other Weber parts from Carburettor City in JHB. I think basic overhaul hit was about R 400

011 3344433
171 Main St
Johannesburg (Gauteng)
Sifu-Lux....I will miss you
96-Luxi 4x4
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by 96-Luxi 4x4 »

Thanks Guys, appreciate all the info

do you know of anyone that will do me a favour and redo the motor, respray and so in JHB, east rand area once the time is right?

Thanks
96-Luxi 4x4
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by 96-Luxi 4x4 »

Hi guys. Where is the best place to buy engine spares for the fors engine. Pistons cranck bearings etc. friend of mine lost an engine.

Thanks.
Sifu-Lux
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Vehicle: GMC Sierra SLT Z71 (Used to drive a '91 SFA Hilux YN67R 4x4 ,Full OME, ARB lockers front and rear, Ford 3L V6, 35mm axle move, 33" General Grabber X3's and dual transfer cases....... Keep her safe Mud Dog!

Post by Sifu-Lux »

Got all my engine parts for my rebuild from Alert Engine spares and Autozone.
kfxnando
Town: Germiston
Vehicle: Ford V6 3.4 Courrier soon to be powered by Yamaha!! Jeep GC 4.7 V8, Aygo broken traded for a Kia Picanto.2ex, 2012 Jeep GC 5.7 V8 Ovrrland

Post by kfxnando »

lots of questions here, sadly haven't looked in here for a while, as I believe I have plenty of answer

yes carburator city about the best place to get the carburator kits

to redo the V6 properly with new parts including engineering, can't be done with 5k anymore
then add a complete clutch kit, closer to 10k for peace of mind

then going from V6 to lexus V8, self am going that trip, although rather slowly, however I tow quiet heavy and big, and if you do every thing your self, you can do it for around 30k
self was lucky as the surge tack was free, clutch is the Ford one as I have a ford Courier and those clutches are cheaper then the Toyota, engine mounting a friend did all the turning and self just bought the vesconite
many brackets like for the bmw radiator and the water bottle, did myself

however have another V8 at home, a Jeep V8, and the V8 sounds so much better then a V6, and the lexus V8 likes to rev, so can't wait to hear my one roar in the bakkie

and just to wet your appetite

my lexus V8 being bench tested before coming home

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJOiGQt_DbE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

enjoy
http://www.youtube.com/user/kfxnando" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://community.webshots.com/user/kfxnando" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://s538.photobucket.com/albums/ff343/kfxnando/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Stubs

Post by Stubs »

Now Fernando that sounds awesome..... I love my V6 Ford but you cant beat that low rumble when the engine is ticking over, the best...
chrisv6
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: East London
Vehicle: v6 essex

Post by chrisv6 »

Hey guys I know this thread was posted a long time ago. I was wondering if sombody could email me the workshop manual for the 3.0 ford v6 motor. I'm having trouble getting it to start
kfxnando
Vehicle: Ford V6 3.4 Courrier soon to be powered by Yamaha!! Jeep GC 4.7 V8, Aygo broken traded for a Kia Picanto.2ex, 2012 Jeep GC 5.7 V8 Ovrrland

Post by kfxnando »

Have some where at home, a file with specs
Meaning will need to scan or take photo of the pages to mail

So it wount start?? Lets see if we can help
What did you dobefore it wont start now, or did it go ok one day and the next day it wouldent start
Or did you rebuild the motor
Ignition > points or electronic
What carb is on it
http://www.youtube.com/user/kfxnando" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://community.webshots.com/user/kfxnando" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://s538.photobucket.com/albums/ff343/kfxnando/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
chrisv6
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by chrisv6 »

Well I bought this bakkie with a siesed ford v6 motor. I pulled it out and put this motor in. Iv never run the motor before. It has compression. Its got spark. The fuel pump is pumping fuel. It just won't start. If I throw some fuel down the carb it ignites that but does not continue to run
kfxnando

Post by kfxnando »

Then that narrows it down to carb

Maybe take the top of the carb off and see if there is fuel in the fuel boel, and then you might as well see what size jets are in every where
Mains and air correction jets

Got to start somewhere
chrisv6
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by chrisv6 »

Ill check the carb tomorrow. But I took it in to carb doctor and they had it on the test motor and it seemed to run fine?
kfxnando

Post by kfxnando »

chrisv6 wrote:Ill check the carb tomorrow. But I took it in to carb doctor and they had it on the test motor and it seemed to run fine?
Uh!! If it wants to start when you put fuel down the throat and it wants to start but dies then to me it say not getting fuel, maybe someone else has some other ideas
However from my experiance and logic, motor not getting fuel
Did u see the carb running on the other motor?? Testing
chrisv6
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by chrisv6 »

Yeah I did. But I will check it my self tomorrow. The manual says what size the jets should be and all that. I agree with you about the carb theory but haven it tested made me assume its somthing els. So I'll go through it and see what I can find
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

The distributor not perhaps 180° out of phase? Can you see the timing marks when the distributor rotor points to #1 plug?

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

chrisv6
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by chrisv6 »

If I lighn the front crank pully to its timing mark. Putting piston one at TDC the rotor is facing spark plug point one
kfxnando

Post by kfxnando »

Family_Dog wrote:The distributor not perhaps 180° out of phase? Can you see the timing marks when the distributor rotor points to #1 plug?

-F_D
Also thought of that, as I have been there done that one
However the fact that when fuel gets poured down the carb it wants to run, lead me to think that its not getting fuel

Quick question
Does the carb have two fuel pipe connection
Incomming and return
Maybe check those
chrisv6
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by chrisv6 »

Ok set the timing and still no go. The carb only has one line in. Its getting fuel into the bowl. And when I crank the accelorator it sprays down the barrels... I took the two main jets out the are .05 smaller than they should be. That wouldn't cause it not to spray enough fuel to start right?
chrisv6
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by chrisv6 »

Its aliiiive! The problem was the carb. The one diaphrame had a crack and all the carb settings where out. Thanks for all the help from everybody! I can finaly get my bakkie moving again
TKM
Vehicle: Toyota hilux raider d/c, 3,4L Ford V6, Dual Tanks, OME springs, Gas shocks, Custom Exhaust

Post by TKM »

Hi,

Could you perhaps tell me what jets are supposed to be in the carb? I run a 3,4L with a weber 38DCOE carb.

TKM
Go Hard or Go Home!!
chrisv6
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by chrisv6 »

Hi TKM, the main jets(145) Em. Tube(F50) air corr. Jet(185) idle jet(45) pump jet(70) pump exh.(30) needle valve(2.50) float level (MM) O/C (52.5/40). That's all the standerd parts for the 38 webber DGAS and DGES
chrisv6
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by chrisv6 »

The only DCOE I found would be a 40 weber.
chrisv6
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by chrisv6 »

And the DCOE is a weber sidedraft to my knowlage correct me if I'm wrong please
Hoppy
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: Hilux SFA & IFS

Post by Hoppy »

DCOE is a side, they come in 40, 45 and 48mm.

The DGAS for the V6 has 38mm butterflys, but it comes in either 27 or 29mm venturis (stamped on the side and not removable), the 27mm is the one to get for a 4x4, more torquey and lighter on fuel. On reef altitude, you can go to 205 on the airs for better consumption.
aev@iburst.co.za
The trouble with trouble is...it always starts as fun.
The most precious jewels you will ever wear around your neck is the arms of your children...
" I WOULD RATHER SIT ON THE TAILGATE OF MY HILUX WITH A BEER AND A CHOP, WATCHING A FIRE, THAN DINE IN THE BEST RESTAURANT IN TOWN "
TKM
Vehicle: Toyota hilux raider d/c, 3,4L Ford V6, Dual Tanks, OME springs, Gas shocks, Custom Exhaust

Post by TKM »

Sorry gents! Chrisv6 you are correct.... its a DGAS.... my memory played up!

Thanks for the info, I will check them asap.

Does anyone perhaps know where I could source the solenoid valves on the side of the carb? one of mine is faulty, but still need to check which one..... It has happened before but we battled to find one here in PE.

Thanks again for info!
Go Hard or Go Home!!
Sifu-Lux
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Sifu-Lux »

Not sure what you mean about solenoid valves on the carb, mine does not have?
KALAHARI SEUN
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: LANGS DIE ORANJE RIVIER
Vehicle: 1994 2.2 Hilux

Post by KALAHARI SEUN »

Ek het ook ook die 38weber dgas op my V6, maar daar by staan 4A2 en op n spaar weber staan daar by net 9A. Daar is n paar verskille tussen die 2. En die grootste een is dat die 4A2 glad n petrol return het nie! Het enige van julle al dit raak geloop?
Racer-X
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Vehicle: none

Post by Racer-X »

Hi Guys

I've been reading :subscribed: this thread with interest, as well as any other threads about the Essex V6.

I have one in my Series 3 88" landy.

I have had alot of help from:
David Van Jaarsveld
Supreme Auto
Parkin Street

041 484 7701

Tell him Julien sent you.

He has helped me with setting the carb and changing jets etc.

Bear in mind he is an old school mechanic that used to work for Opel Motorsport.
He works on anything though.
This week I have seen from 50/60's Jaguar to a 3 or 4 year old Merc ML 320 diesel

Cheers
Julien
:dance1:
Sifu-Lux
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Sifu-Lux »

Good to know, thanks Julian

Return to “Engine conversions (Lexus/7M-GE/3RZ-FE etc)”