Striker's hilux gets Lexus finaly

Post questions, advice and pictures of Engine conversions here
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: Striker's hilux gets Lexus finaly

Post by Mud Dog »

TheoM wrote:With the standard 5sp Hilux manual box and diffs ?
Can't be, not with 120kmph at 2800rpm.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Striker
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Dunnottar
Vehicle: Hilux V8 Lexus 4x4 D/C

Post by Striker »

Lexus autobox
ImageImageImageImage
Bring it on!
Reinart21
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Secunda
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 3.0 D4D 4X4 D/C 2011 - ONCA Bullbar Dastek Unichip 76MM S/S Freeflow Leveling Kit. Hilux SFA '97 D/C OME Suspension extra long range tank', V8 coming soon!

Post by Reinart21 »

Striker wrote:Lexus autobox
Johan, is that the 4speed or 5speed autobox? Standard diff?
Striker
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Striker »

4 speed standard diff
ImageImageImageImage
Bring it on!
Reinart21
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 3.0 D4D 4X4 D/C 2011 - ONCA Bullbar Dastek Unichip 76MM S/S Freeflow Leveling Kit. Hilux SFA '97 D/C OME Suspension extra long range tank', V8 coming soon!

Post by Reinart21 »

Guys, quick question.

You are using the 1UZ-FE am I right, non-vvti version.
With the 4 speed lexus autobox and standard diffs.

Many would recommend against using the standard 5 speed manual box as they don't last.

But what about your transfer case, how do you ensure you don't mess that up? As I'm assuming it's the standard one.... :shh: :shh:
Kaspaas
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Wellington
Vehicle: 1998 Land Cruiser 105series GX

Post by Kaspaas »

mark watson wrote:no sweat jaques none taken , i do the adaptors for the bellhousings , but if done right they do work , it just comes down to measuring correctly , we have put some bmw gearboxes in the lathe that have had cut and welds done and the face runs out 8mm which is enough to rip the centre of the clutch out.
cut it off replace with another bellhousing and machined after welding and no more problem. as the wise men say measure a few times.
Hey Mark, what was the outcome of this?
I think there are a lot of guys that wants to know if this story had a happy ending.
viewtopic.php?f=98&t=23780&p=448921#p448921" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sorry for the HiJack Striker....
1998 Toyota land Cruiser 105 series. 4.2 D

"I am human, I make mistakes, and that is okay, I have my own permission."
Striker
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Striker »

Well, I'm running my bakkie now close to 30000 km on this setup, with Mark's conversion on the auto box and standard transfer case with out any problems, except for a noisy bearing at 130kmh which I need to replace. I'm not doing extreme 4x4ing but had my fare share of mud, sand, hills downhills etc. without any issues. I'm happy with my conversion exept for my ecu, would prefer Spitronics as Archangel is not that popular
ImageImageImageImage
Bring it on!
Reinart21
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Reinart21 »

From the pics in the thread it looks like the 1UZ or 3UZ but the non-vvti versions in strikers lux, am I right?

Reason I'm mentioning it, I don't know the non-vvti versions as well as the newer vvti ones, but when it comes to choosing an ecu, things can get complicated/pricey real quick.

Does anyone know if the non-vvti version lexus motors have knock sensors? I know the vvti ones have 2 knock sensors, I'm assuming one on each bank.

Please guys, not brand bashing here, I know it's been a while since but at a time the whole debate of OEM ECU vs Spits etc concerning the vvti functions etc, I'm not going into that, but correct me if I am wrong, the spits does not have knock control like the OEM ECU does or the more expensive import ECU's have. Used for pulling timing back once it senses knock.

I'm no expert, I just know it is crucial to avoid knock if you want to keep your motor intact.

Am I missing something here, and it is not applicable to the non-vvti version?

Return to “Engine conversions (Lexus/7M-GE/3RZ-FE etc)”