KZTE OVERHEATING

Post questions, advice and pictures of Engine conversions here
AUTOFANATIC
Town: benoni
Vehicle: hilux 4x4

KZTE OVERHEATING

Post by AUTOFANATIC »

Hey guys im new in this forum but here goes. I have a 91" Hilux double cab which i have just put a KZTE motor in. I have overheating problems with it. I am a motor mechanic with 10+ years on Land Cruiser + Hilux +all cars + 4x4"s. This thing has got me baffled though. It heats up on high revs and under load only, otherwise it pulls + runs fine, i am very happy with the motor. I have replaced the headgasket;crack tested the head, checked thermostat, radiator. I have fitted a solid fan to eliminate fan issues,but problem still persists. Anyone had the same problem or any ideas. Auto fanatic
Dadz Toy BFI

Re: KZTE OVERHEATING

Post by Dadz Toy BFI »

Welcome to the Forum Mate :!: :!: :!: :!:

Got any Pics of your Ride :?: :?:

Niel is our resident KZ fanatic - think you might be hearing from him now, now :wink:

Rich
Last edited by Dadz Toy BFI on Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
ToyX4
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Ottosdal
Vehicle: Rocky's

Post by ToyX4 »

Welcome to the forum

What radiator did you fit? Seems most of the conversion overheating problems are caused by a too small radiator.
But I'm no expert.

Our resident KZ conversion expert is Dieseldog. He might be able to assist you when he visits again.
Here is his profile if youd like to pm him, if he don't show up
memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=835
ImageImage
Scooter
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: JHB
Vehicle: '94 Raider, '05 Vigo 4.0 v6

Post by Scooter »

Firstly welcome, we hope you enjoy your stay. :D

Have you checked the injection pump timing?
"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realise that what you heard is not what I meant."
JohanM
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Meyerton
Vehicle: Prado 120 4.0 V6
Club VHF Licence: HC126

Post by JohanM »

Hi Arthur,

Firstly welcome to the forum!! Please post some pictures of your ride.

I would reccommend that you take your vehicle for a Exhaust gas temeperature reading when it is under load. The KZTE engines dont like to run hot on the EGT side of things as it is then when they overheat so easily. The EGT on those engine's should be no more that 800 Degrees Celcius, but if it is higher then I will have a look at the tuning of the engine and also what the waste gate on the turbo looks like.

Silly question, but have you changed the ratio's on the vehicle to suit a Diesel engine or not?
Johan Marais
Scorpion
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Emmarentia
Vehicle: 1988 Hilux 4x4 D/C with more attitude than Mike Tyson

Post by Scorpion »

Welcome to the forum, Arthur! The drill here is to post pictures of your van in the "Member's Rides" section with a full description of all your mods done and planned. After that, we'll (not me, I'm a petrolhead :twisted: ) see if we can help sort out your problem... :wink:
1988 Hilex D/C 4x4 (Import spec), Lexus V8; Marlin Crawler; Custom Suspension: front and new 4 link in the rear; Disc Brake conversion rear; 35" Cooper STT tyres; Xenon lights; Custom bullbar;Next? Aircon; new front seats, redo the whole interior in nice soft leather, Respray, Double Lockers
1978 Land Cruiser HJ45
1971 Mercedes Benz 280S Automatic
2011 Land Cruiser 79 V6 (60th Anniversary Edition)
MattF
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: South Yorkshire
Vehicle: Toyota Surf

Post by MattF »

First thing I'd do is pop a new thermostat and rad cap on, rather than just testing the existing ones. Have you used the original rad or a different type/size? Is the water pump in good condition?
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '96 D/C Raider

Post by BenHur »

Hi

Welcome to our forum. My guess would be the same 2 things already mentioned here i.e. radiator too small as that is a classic conversion issue, many a times the radiator may need to be bigger to provide more heat exchange, if it is too small the engine will pump water through it without cooling it down efficiently when the engine speed (also the speed at which the water is pumped through the radiator) is high. I had an issue on my 7M when the water would only loose about 2-3 degrees through the radiator when running at above 4000RPM. An expansion tank could also add another litre or 3 water into the systems.

The other issue is EGT's if your pump is over fueling the engine will run unnecessary hot and the best way to fix that is to swap the KZTE for a 7MGE or 1UZFE :twisted: :twisted: :wink:

Return to “Engine conversions (Lexus/7M-GE/3RZ-FE etc)”