LEXUS V8 VVTI

Post questions, advice and pictures of Engine conversions here
Workhorse
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Posts: 78
Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:32 pm
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Hilux Sfa V8 VVTI
Real Name: Donovan

Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:14 am

TheoM wrote:Looks great !

Where do you get vacuum from for the FPR guage ?
Hi Theo. Thanks

I have not connected the vacuum to the fuel pressure regulator yet. I was just gonna link it to the intake manifold. Or should it be connected some where else?

Workhorse
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Posts: 78
Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:32 pm
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Hilux Sfa V8 VVTI
Real Name: Donovan

Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:17 am

Thanks Tiaan, Shortened the propshaft last night and sent for balancing this morning. Cant wait to take it for a spin.

User avatar
TheoM
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Posts: 179
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:29 pm
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: UZJ 42 LX
Real Name: Theo

Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:01 pm

Workhorse wrote:I have not connected the vacuum to the fuel pressure regulator yet. I was just gonna link it to the intake manifold. Or should it be connected some where else?
Yes, connect it to the small blanked off pipe above the intake - the one with the black rubber cap which is closest to that coolant bleed screw.

Workhorse
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Posts: 78
Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:32 pm
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Hilux Sfa V8 VVTI
Real Name: Donovan

Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:26 am

Thanks Theo, that's exactly where I was thinking. Other thing is I seem to have the regulator hooked up incorrectly or I should say the place that sold me the FPR gave me wrong info. I have the fuel supply from pump at the bottom of the FPR and supply to fuel rail from the side of the FPR. Seems to me that it should be the other way round supply from side and feed to rail from bottom. Other thing is I don't seem to get my tacho to work. I am running OEM and from that there is a tacho output but seems to be non compatible with me tacho on my van. I get a positive signal from the OEM. Any ideas as to how to solve this problem.

Cheers Donovan

User avatar
TheoM
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Posts: 179
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:29 pm
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: UZJ 42 LX
Real Name: Theo

Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:44 pm

Most/all FPRs that I have seen, had their returns to the tank/surge tank at the bottom and the inlet on the side but I suppose yours could be different - the manual should be very clear on that so check your manual first ?

As far as the tacho is concerned, I suspect it relates to the 4 cyl signal vs new 8 cyl signal - V8 Solid should be able to help with that.I know the Spits guys have a way to do it but I am not sure about the OEM setup.Also try speaking to Mark Watson - Instrumentation is actually his thing!

Workhorse
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Posts: 78
Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:32 pm
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Hilux Sfa V8 VVTI
Real Name: Donovan

Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:37 am

TheoM wrote:Most/all FPRs that I have seen, had their returns to the tank/surge tank at the bottom and the inlet on the side but I suppose yours could be different - the manual should be very clear on that so check your manual first ?

You are correct in saying return at the bottom and inlet on the side, I have my Rotary also connected up like this. But when I got this one they told me it should be connected other way round. Not gonna mention names. I changed it last night. Manual if only I got one with it. That was the first thing I asked for when I opened the box and I was told its straight forward you don't need a manual.

As far as the tacho is concerned, I suspect it relates to the 4 cyl signal vs new 8 cyl signal - V8 Solid should be able to help with that.I know the Spits guys have a way to do it but I am not sure about the OEM setup.Also try speaking to Mark Watson - Instrumentation is actually his thing!
Apparently the Lexus OEM reads only one bank so effectively its like a 4cyl signal. Spoke with Derrick from V8 solid it seems that the 4y tacho is not gonna pick up the signal from the OEM. I will chat with Mark Watson.

scunick
Commercial Member
Commercial Member
Posts: 24
Joined: Sun May 16, 2010 9:13 pm
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: FJ45 & 2004 DC 3,0 KZTE
Real Name: Nick

Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:22 am

Workhorse wrote:
TheoM wrote:Most/all FPRs that I have seen, had their returns to the tank/surge tank at the bottom and the inlet on the side but I suppose yours could be different - the manual should be very clear on that so check your manual first ?

You are correct in saying return at the bottom and inlet on the side, I have my Rotary also connected up like this. But when I got this one they told me it should be connected other way round. Not gonna mention names. I changed it last night. Manual if only I got one with it. That was the first thing I asked for when I opened the box and I was told its straight forward you don't need a manual.

As far as the tacho is concerned, I suspect it relates to the 4 cyl signal vs new 8 cyl signal - V8 Solid should be able to help with that.I know the Spits guys have a way to do it but I am not sure about the OEM setup.Also try speaking to Mark Watson - Instrumentation is actually his thing!
Apparently the Lexus OEM reads only one bank so effectively its like a 4cyl signal. Spoke with Derrick from V8 solid it seems that the 4y tacho is not gonna pick up the signal from the OEM. I will chat with Mark Watson.
The simple answer to this is to get an aftermarket dash which has a configurable taco, speedo etc etc etc. Its what we normally do when faced with unsupported signalling. The alternative is a very expensive "signal converter" ($900 last check). We have fitted 4 of these dash pods and in all cases they are great. They are a little "japcrap" in their presentation, but do a great job. They are also very useful when you change tyre sizes and want a speed reading that is accurate.

Cheers
Nick

User avatar
TheoM
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Posts: 179
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:29 pm
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: UZJ 42 LX
Real Name: Theo

Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:17 am

Workhorse wrote:..But when I got this one they told me it should be connected other way round. .
Looking at the pic of your FPR it looks like the normal vertical spring and diaphragm type setup ie spring at the top where the vacuum inlet is with the diaphragm in centre and return at bottom .It does not look like a horizontally mounted spring etc ..

BTW all my 19voertsek OEM cruiser guages work perfectly with the Spitronics and VVTi motor :cooldude:

Workhorse
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Posts: 78
Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:32 pm
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Hilux Sfa V8 VVTI
Real Name: Donovan

Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:26 am

Ok so had the exhaust done Saturday. Fitted the props and took it for a spin. OMG is all I can say. The power, the sound its just absolutely freakin awesome. The only issue I have is on pull away I have a shudder. Think its coming from the center bearing on the prop. Going to mount the Gopro later and see what's happening. Should I have just made up a single prop or stick with the original setup? Otherwise everything is perfect. Runs smooth and effortless.

Workhorse
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Posts: 78
Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:32 pm
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Hilux Sfa V8 VVTI
Real Name: Donovan

Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:30 am

Looking at the pic of your FPR it looks like the normal vertical spring and diaphragm type setup ie spring at the top where the vacuum inlet is with the diaphragm in centre and return at bottom .It does not look like a horizontally mounted spring etc ..

BTW all my 19voertsek OEM cruiser guages work perfectly with the Spitronics and VVTi motor :cooldude:[/quote]
You 100% correct Theo.
Connected the FPR the same way as I did my rotary and problem solved. Starts perfect now.

M@R10
Newbie
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:09 am
Town: Bloemfontein
Vehicle: Nissan Hardbody
Real Name: Mario

Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:31 am

Hi Guys. glad I found some place to get more info on these conversions. I fitted my Hardbody Kingcab with the VVT-I and so far everything is fairly well. I am happy with the much better performance than the old 3.3 V6, though there was nothing wrong with it and I sold it easily. I don't know if anyone here can answer my query as everyone seems to only do the Toyota conversion, but here goes;

1. I am struggling to connect the reverse lights wire, where does it go?

2. On cold startup, my vehicle idles, but doesn't want to move. it is as if something is telling the motor to just idle up to a certain point and then it goes. it goes into reverse and does the reverse thing, but forward, it doesn't go. it feels like the engine is not ready yet to move and something is telling it to keep idling until temperature or whatever is at it's correct setting for driving. Has anyone here experienced the same thing? The guys at Lextreme where I bought the unit, said it may be fuel pressure which is to low, or the crank censor might be wet. I have not checked anything yet. but if fuel pressure is to low, it means I have to switch the fuel pump with something stronger...what can you guys suggest.

3. can someone refer me to anyone who can calibrate my speedo and revcounter as here in Bloemfontein, it is very expensive and scarse.

thank you guys
regards

User avatar
TheoM
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Posts: 179
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:29 pm
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: UZJ 42 LX
Real Name: Theo

Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:47 pm

Are you running the Lexus auto box ?

M@R10 wrote:.. it goes into reverse and does the reverse thing, but forward, it doesn't go. it feels like the engine is not ready yet to move and something is telling it to keep idling until temperature or whatever is at it's correct setting for driving. ................... The guys at Lextreme where I bought the unit, said it may be fuel pressure which is to low, or the crank censor might be wet. ....
Then why is the fuel pressure/crank sensor not a problem when cold reversing but only when in cold drive ? :eh:

M@R10
Newbie
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:09 am
Town: Bloemfontein
Vehicle: Nissan Hardbody
Real Name: Mario

Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:27 pm

Hi TheoM.
Yes I have the auto box with the original ecu.

Workhorse
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Posts: 78
Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:32 pm
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Hilux Sfa V8 VVTI
Real Name: Donovan

Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:55 am

Hi All,

Just an update. since my conversion I have done just over 3500 kilos with my lux and all is working great. I had one small issue with spline linking lexus box to Sfa transfer developed play on the spline. Found out afterwards that the engineering company that made the splines for me never hardened them. Anyway replaced the spline had it hardened and all is good. With nice town driving I manage to obtain 8 to 8.3 kilos per lt. And on a trip to montagu and back I got 9 per lt. Speedo reads about 5km over to GPS.

The only other thing I can say is awesome. The five speed auto box works really well. Not sure what ratio diff I have but at 100kmh I sit on 2500rpm.

Cheers

User avatar
Reinart21
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Posts: 285
Joined: Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:51 pm
Town: Secunda
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 3.0 D4D 4X4 D/C 2011 - ONCA Bullbar Dastek Unichip 76MM S/S Freeflow Leveling Kit. Hilux SFA '97 D/C OME Suspension extra long range tank', V8 coming soon!
Real Name: Reinart

Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:19 am

Workhorse wrote:Hi All,

The only other thing I can say is awesome. The five speed auto box works really well. Not sure whatratio diff I have but at 100kmh I sit on 2500rpm.

Cheers
Just a quick question, if anyone with some expert advice can help. So my 3.0 D4d with auto box sits at 160Km/h at 3000 RPM, chances are it's not a good idea to keep the D4d box if I were to swop out the D4d motor for a Lexus?

Hams
Newbie
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:42 am
Town: bronkhorstspruit
Vehicle: Hilux 1999 Lexus vvti
Real Name: Hamman

Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:21 pm

Hi,I am just about to finish my project on converting my 99 hilux 2.7 with a lexus 1uz vvti. running the manual setup but with standards oem. Can someone tell me if all the engine functions and especially the air intake control valve and valve adjustment timing will still work when the computer think it is in park??

Post Reply

Return to “Engine conversions (Lexus/7M-GE/3RZ-FE etc)”

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: No registered users