hzadbhat
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: margaret river
Vehicle: 4runner 1985

LS1 into RN130

Post by hzadbhat »

Hi all,
Doing a project vehicle. 1990 RN130 4runner. was the home of the mighty 22r but it's out and never going back in.
What I'd love to do is put a Holden (GM) LS1 engine with 6 speed manual box.
Has anyone over there done this?
I'm planning on buying a used engine, strip it, stroke it maybe and add all new bolt ons.
Gearbox, same. Buy used and do a full rebuild.
The main advice I would love is diff ratio's. I'm keeping the ADD for the front, so nmy job today is to clean my transfer case, shaft and front diff. All these are on the bench. Additional advice would be appreciated regarding color combinations. All seats are being re padded and re upholstered. All plastics sanded, primed and painted. Carpet cleaned and will be re colored before going back in.
And a bunch of other custom mods such as dual/triple battery, custom rear bar with tow hitch and swing out wheel holder to get the spare where you can actually get at the damn thing. All new lights. Custom slider steps etc etc etc
Basically, the car is a fully wired rolling shell. No fuel, brake or other such silly lines to get in nthe way. Body will come off and everything resprayed after sandblasting. And a 50mm body lift to compliment the 2 inch suspension lift already fitted.
And finally, the steering. Does anyone know of a kit for all the bushes, rubbers etc for the entire steering section? Or has anyone put heavier steering from another vehicle into a 4runner?
Cheers for the advice and once I get baround to it, I'll start a thread with pics.
Cheers :cooldude:
Stef
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '98 LTD
Club VHF Licence: X107

Re: LS1 into RN130

Post by Stef »

Hi Brandon,

4Runners not too common in SA, but it's very similar to the SFA Hilux we have here. Plenty threads on the Lexus conversion, you'll find some useful info there.

If you can find the 5spd KZ Surf tranny you should be able to use that as is with your current diff ratios; I know it works well in combination with the Lexus 1UZ and the 22R diff ratios

Return to “Engine conversions (Lexus/7M-GE/3RZ-FE etc)”