Lexus V8

Post questions, advice and pictures of Engine conversions here
anthonylandsberg

Lexus V8

Post by anthonylandsberg »

Hi i would like to know if anyone can give me a phone number of the workshop or of someone that they have had there hilux done by in Jhb or anywhere else that is fitting the Lexus V8 in the Hilux 2.7 D/cab.
Thank you
Anthony
hilex08
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Springs
Vehicle: Hilex V8, Ford Ranger 2500 td, C55 AMG

Re: Lexus V8

Post by hilex08 »

hi there,

i had mine done in pta, by fast developments. they on the old bronkhorstspruit road, if you come of the stormsriver offramp.

very much saitisfied with the work..

tip....have the lexus auto box fitted, joined to the transfer case, do not attempt to fit another box, you gonna have more joy from the auto box
Kevin Botha
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by Kevin Botha »

Try Corsa Spares in Silverton in Pretoria.
Call Steven or Michelle on 082 339 1494 or 082 331 2730 Give me as a referal, Kevin Botha Durban.

They Did my Hilux 1997 SFA conversion. As per previous response, go with the Lexus Auto box.
They did take longer than they originally said, so be prepared to wait a bit longer. Also they don't use the Mr. Turbo units any more, I think they use Dictator, a much better unit. Talk to Steven he will give you the complete run down.
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '96 D/C Raider

Post by BenHur »

Kevin

Do you know what make contoller they use for the Gearbox?

A friend f mine recently bought a complete lexus motor with gearbox and origiobal ECU. He now only need a MAF sensor to get it to work. Apparently you can get MAF units from the states at R1800
Kevin Botha
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by Kevin Botha »

They used a Spitronic gearbox controller in my upgrade.

Using the originals would be the best option and more reliable than local kits
Zantus
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Port Elizabeth
Vehicle: Hilex

Post by Zantus »

Mine is also Spitronics. My my gearbox and ignition units were sent back to them last month and everything was upgraded to the latest level. My oke who's dealing with Spitronics seems very impressed with their back-up and knowledge.
Barto de Koning
2008 Triton 3.2DiD 4x4 Clubcab
4x4 Trail & Overland Guide - GP3442
http://www.4x4tec.co.za" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Zantus
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Zantus »

Barto de Koning
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by BenHur »

It seems that their is mixed feelings about Spitronics. Some guys love them and some hate them.

They converted my distributor's pick-up from a magnetic sensor to a hall pick up and it has not given me any problems so far but the did not seal off the hole where the wire comes out so if I would ever go into water deep enough the Dizzy will flood. I have been meaning to seal it off myself, strues I promise but have not had time to do so. :twisted: :twisted:

I met the owner (Chris I think) at Mahem round-about March-April this year. He also drives a SFA with a 350 Chevvy motor in (IIRC) and he told me that he was bringing out a new EFI controller unit as well. Have you changed the Mr Turbo EFI to the Spitronics unit as well or are you going to keep the Mr Turbo.

Chris told me that his unit will be able to control the stepper motor that regulates the timing on the 7MGE engine with feedback from the engine to keep the engine RPM constant. That would mean that if I crawl at idling speed and an increase in the load pulls the engine speed down, the ECU would rectify it to prevent the engine from stalling 8) 8)

I guess I must go and visit their shop and see if these units are available now when I start my fixing van.
Knersus
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Kathu
Vehicle: 2.4 Hi Lux 4x4 DC 95'
Club VHF Licence: ZS3EP

Post by Knersus »

Now how much does this conversion cost more or less and is it relyable to do. Will you go outside the border lines with this conversion and how is the temperature on this V8 engine. Is it not overheating. What gearbox is also the best to use.
Eben Pienaar
2.4 Hi Lux 22R 95'
Codan HF radio; Kenwood VHF Hi band; Tait VHF midband; Snorkel; OME suspension; Diff lock on next shortlist. Dis lekker om 'n mens te wees....Jy moet net 'n lekker mens wees
DOELLOOS

Post by DOELLOOS »

Here's what I know from my research before I bought my Super Hilux.

The Lexus conversion will set you back around R65K. Depending on who does it, and how it is done, it should be reliable, although expect to break diffs and propshafts, etc. (too much abuse of the power does this). I bought a Hilux with a Supra Turbo (7MGTE) engine which is already very strong. My reccommendation is to do a 7MGE (3.0 24valve Cressida) conversion (R25K) which is more than strong enough, and super reliable. Supra Tech in Pta does both Turbo and non-Turbo conversions. Phone Danie from Supra Tech on 083 990 9400 if you want to know more.

Hope this helps.
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

I started to think about this whole engine thing. I see that in Australia the IFS Hilux like mine (1998 - ?) came out standard with a 3.4l V6. WOW, I think that should be a wonderful balance between power, vs weight, vs consumption. If I am not mistaken it must be the same they used in the Prado of those days?
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by BenHur »

Yis Pieter

With a 3.4 litre v6 and a SAS conversion your bakkie would be unstoppable :twisted: :twisted:
DOELLOOS

Post by DOELLOOS »

Yep, we are of course talking the 5VZ engine. Do yourself a favour and read up on the engine as much as possible before attempting the conversion Piet, as you might just be the poor fool who learns the hard way.

I will try to find out if anybody does these conversions.
anthonylandsberg

Post by anthonylandsberg »

Thank you very much for your imput i am very happy :D .I have just one more thing to ask How is are the Lexus V8 Hilux on fuel and how is it for towing?
Thank you
Anthony
Knersus
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Kathu
Vehicle: 2.4 Hi Lux 4x4 DC 95'
Club VHF Licence: ZS3EP

Post by Knersus »

I wanted to do the conversion as well but after I have done some home work about it I have second thoughts. I do not think it is viable to spend R50+ thousand on a V8 conversion on a bakkie that is worth about R70 thousand. I have made up my mind and decided to rather get used to the fuel consumsion and no power before worries about a converted thing that might also give problems.
Eben Pienaar
2.4 Hi Lux 22R 95'
Codan HF radio; Kenwood VHF Hi band; Tait VHF midband; Snorkel; OME suspension; Diff lock on next shortlist. Dis lekker om 'n mens te wees....Jy moet net 'n lekker mens wees
Zantus
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Zantus »

benhur wrote:It seems that their is mixed feelings about Spitronics. Some guys love them and some hate them.

They converted my distributor's pick-up from a magnetic sensor to a hall pick up and it has not given me any problems so far but the did not seal off the hole where the wire comes out so if I would ever go into water deep enough the Dizzy will flood. I have been meaning to seal it off myself, strues I promise but have not had time to do so. :twisted: :twisted:

I met the owner (Chris I think) at Mahem round-about March-April this year. He also drives a SFA with a 350 Chevvy motor in (IIRC) and he told me that he was bringing out a new EFI controller unit as well. Have you changed the Mr Turbo EFI to the Spitronics unit as well or are you going to keep the Mr Turbo.

Chris told me that his unit will be able to control the stepper motor that regulates the timing on the 7MGE engine with feedback from the engine to keep the engine RPM constant. That would mean that if I crawl at idling speed and an increase in the load pulls the engine speed down, the ECU would rectify it to prevent the engine from stalling 8) 8)

I guess I must go and visit their shop and see if these units are available now when I start my fixing van.
Bennie, I've got some real world feedback on the Spitronics ECU!!!

Choppie Lindstrom, owner of the local sand trail has been playing with conversions in boats and 4x4's and has had a few different ECU's over the years. One of his last projects was a 7MG-TE in his speed boat run by a Gotech Pro system. He wasn't very happy with the engine and not happy at all with the Gotech.
He's now thrown out the 7MG-TE and put in a 1UZ-FE with the new Spitronics ECU, and I've never seen him so happy. He says their service was excellent and the instructions are so clear that he started it 3 hours after beginnig the wiring. He actually just cranked it to check something and it fired up immediately...before he put oil in it :shock: He says so far it is way better than any of the other sytems he used in the past. He also used to buy the expensive stuff like the Gotech Pro and says the Spitronics unit at R3500 it an absolute bargain for the product quality and the back-up you get.

My friend and I are planning a V8 conversion on a '68 landy, and will give it a go on that first, before I put it in my lux. In the meanwhile, Choppie will be using the same system on the V8 conversion he's doing on his Nissan Safari. I'll get more feedback on that once it is done.
Barto de Koning
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by BenHur »

Barto

Can you get us a copy of the wiring diagram? Does they supply the system with software for the user to configure r is it only their "agents" that can configure these units?
Zantus
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Zantus »

I'll try Bennie. From what Choppie says, he's doing everything himself, so I guess they supply the software as well.
Barto de Koning
DOELLOOS

Post by DOELLOOS »

I found this useful link for wiring diagrams on the Lexus V8s

http://www.lextreme.com/misc.html

Have fun...
Arries
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux

Post by Arries »

Hey you guys! I can do management for your lexus engine and gearbox for R 13500 excluding VAT. I Do however at this stage use Spitronic`s gearbox modules but I am in the process of developing my own gearbox controller which will be ready by May 2008. You can find me at Corsa Spares in Silverton (012 804 6199) or cell:072 375 3540.
DOELLOOS

Post by DOELLOOS »

Howzit Arries,

Just for curiosities sake, what sort of power does those Lexus engines make in a Hilux?
Rian
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Vehicle: Ford Courier - Vw Caddy - Isuzu kb250 - Mazda 250td/i - Mercedes Benz C230 Compressor sport

Post by Rian »

Hi I am doing Lexus V8 conversions in Pretoria you can contact me on 012 5467781
On a 2x4 +-R45 000-00 and on a 4x4 +- R50 000-00 depending on the type of vehicle.
It include the removing of old engine and gearbox the fitment of V8 lexus engine & autobox with Spitronics management system, exhaust Radiator + fans & Propshaft. Branches and lambda sensors with aircon connections are optional extras but could be quoted.
Basically you drive it, in and out of my shop.
:boss:
Cheers

Rian
anthonylandsberg wrote:Hi i would like to know if anyone can give me a phone number of the workshop or of someone that they have had there hilux done by in Jhb or anywhere else that is fitting the Lexus V8 in the Hilux 2.7 D/cab.
Thank you
Anthony
:dance1:
Attachments
Lexus v8.jpg
Last edited by Rian on Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:51 am, edited 3 times in total.
Rian
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Vehicle: Ford Courier - Vw Caddy - Isuzu kb250 - Mazda 250td/i - Mercedes Benz C230 Compressor sport

Post by Rian »

I fitted one in a 1988 d/cab 4x4 and it delivered 172bhp on the dyno that is +- 129.5kw.
SupraLuxBul wrote:Howzit Arries,

Just for curiosities sake, what sort of power does those Lexus engines make in a Hilux?
Rian
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Rian »

Fuel consumption is +-6km to a liter and it works verry nice for towing, I fit a new gearbox module on my conversions that gives you towing options as well.
anthonylandsberg wrote:Thank you very much for your imput i am very happy :D .I have just one more thing to ask How is are the Lexus V8 Hilux on fuel and how is it for towing?
Thank you
Anthony
MADALLA
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Vehicle: Land Cruiser

Post by MADALLA »

Rian, what systems do you use for engine management & gearbox respectively ?
Rian
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Rian »

I only use Spitronics engine and gearbox management systems.
It works out at about R7500-00 that includes fitment, that is if there were no price increse on the units in Desember.
MADALLA wrote:Rian, what systems do you use for engine management & gearbox respectively ?
jakeslouw
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Brits
Vehicle: Land Rover

Post by jakeslouw »

Guys, Engines and More (www.enginesandmore.co.za) bring in Lexus front cuts: complete harness, all control computers, auto box, manifolds, EVERYTHING from the driver seat forwards, for R19,000.

I've seen them, there are several in stock, all in excellent condition.

Talk to Paul on 012 253 2485. Tell him Jakes Louw mentioned them.

No, I don't get commission.
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

Thanks for posting Jakes, I think that is very cool especially because you can start the engine in the front cut and you get all the wires and controls with. I also added their details to http://www.hilux4x4.co.za/offroad_accessories.php
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
conversion man
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: pretoria
Vehicle: 911 Carreara MB CL 500 MB 500SEC MB 450 SLC CHRYSLER CROSSFIRE CONVERTABLE SFA HILEX JEEP 5.2 V8 FORD RANGER LEXUS

Post by conversion man »

I can supply all your conversion needs from bellhousings to any engine for your Hilux as well as complete conversions . Ring me on 0837521655
dewald!@#$
Town: johannesburg
Vehicle: toyota 4x4 2.2 1989

Post by dewald!@#$ »

Haloo daar wil net kom se , naa baie lank se sukel is my v8 nou kla danki tog hier is n paar pics
Rian
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Rian »

Nee man Dewald klein Hondjies sukkel :yahoo:

Waar is die pics :?:
swartvark
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Gordons Bay
Vehicle: SFA HiLEX V8; Suzuki GSF1200s Bandit

Post by swartvark »

Geluk met die lekke conversion.

Presies hoe lank het jy gesukkel?
Ek hoop nie jy sukkel te lank met daai fotos nie. :twisted:
MUD........GLORIOUS MUD!!!!!

Your friendly VW salesperson......(with a passion for SFA Hiluxes)

NEED A CAR?
talk2tiaan@gmail.com
kfxnando
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Germiston
Vehicle: Ford V6 3.4 Courrier soon to be powered by Yamaha!! Jeep GC 4.7 V8, Aygo broken traded for a Kia Picanto.2ex, 2012 Jeep GC 5.7 V8 Ovrrland

Post by kfxnando »

guys just stop being difficult!!

couz I can see the pics!!

just use your imagination!! I did!! :lmao: :lmao:
http://www.youtube.com/user/kfxnando" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://community.webshots.com/user/kfxnando" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://s538.photobucket.com/albums/ff343/kfxnando/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Harm JR.
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Durban
Vehicle: 1989 Toyota Hilux

Post by Harm JR. »

howsit guys

i got a few stupid question that i dont know the answers to.
maybe you'll could help.

1:Do you change the speedometer in the hilux when u convert to a lexus v8 because wouldnt the v8 give you more speed????

2: what model (year) engines are you'll using??

3: i would like to know what consumption you'll have gotten with it.

4: and also i heard that with that much of power on sfa's it can cause the axle and other parts to break???? is this true???

and would you all kindly post pics of your v8 sfa's or any other v8 hiluxes please :)

thanks and like i said..................stupid questions
Rian
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Rian »

Hi

1. There are a couple of stuff you can just connect & modify, speedo is one of them :thumbup:
2. The engines star of with 1991 models.
3. Consumption differs from vehicle to vehicle due to diff and tyre size as well as driving habits.
4. Yes the diffs might brake but only if you take it to extreme levels.

For more information visit our web site.

:taunt:
Attachments
030b.jpg
030b.jpg (56.28 KiB) Viewed 5552 times
Rian
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Rian »

Since this chapter started we have done a lot of vehicles.

Return to “Engine conversions (Lexus/7M-GE/3RZ-FE etc)”