Toyota V6

Post questions, advice and pictures of Engine conversions here
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Toyota V6

Post by Mud Dog »

Is anyone familiar with the 3.5lit Toyota V6 Camry LE motor? Fuel injected and aparently delivers 268hp (sounds a little low for a 3.5lit).
I wonder how this motor would compare against the 7M IRO an engine mod in the SFA Hilux. The shorter V6 should fit in easier, no?
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '96 D/C Raider

Re: Toyota V6

Post by BenHur »

No it would not work, been discussed before:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2527&p=25600&#p25600

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4213&p=46112&#p46112

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1504&p=14493&#p14493

If you can get your hands on a 3.4l Prado V6 ($$$) it will fit in easy. Hoppy took me for a spin in one he did when I was there in Slaapstad and I must say that is quite a nice conversion. Pity those motors are not as freely available as the 7M
GOOSENZ
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: pukekohe
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux D/C 4x4

Post by GOOSENZ »

well there toyota hilux surf comes out standard with a 3.4 quad cam V6 and is very easy to do as im pulling my 22R hilux motor out and putting one of them in as the bell housing should bolt strauight upto the gearbox and the wiring side of it is easy i could even find one over here for you and get it shipped over to you
ToyX4
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Ottosdal
Vehicle: Rocky's

Post by ToyX4 »

GOOSENZ wrote:well there toyota hilux surf comes out standard with a 3.4 quad cam V6 and is very easy to do as im pulling my 22R hilux motor out and putting one of them in as the bell housing should bolt strauight upto the gearbox and the wiring side of it is easy i could even find one over here for you and get it shipped over to you
Anthony, where did you get this V6 motor, and what do they price?
What does the complete conversion cost?
ImageImage
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

well there toyota hilux surf comes out standard with a 3.4 quad cam V6 and is very easy to do as im pulling my 22R hilux motor out and putting one of them in as the bell housing should bolt strauight upto the gearbox and the wiring side of it is easy i could even find one over here for you and get it shipped over to you
Anthony, thanks for the info and your kind offer, I might even take you up on it, but would like to see how your conversion goes first :twisted: .

Secondly, when standard, is the motor normally aspirated or EFI?. Obviously you will use the "Surf" clutch plate / pressure plate and I'd be curious to see how you cope with the old model Hilux's spiggot (if indeed there is any difference at all). I have a suspicion that this motor is the same as the 3.4 lit Prado motor that Bennie reffered to.

Please keep us abreast of your progress (with pics please) as I'm sure that there will be other forum members interested in this conversion.

Thanks a ton in advance, Andy. :thumbup:

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Maybe the late hour, or my mind is going :D: , but when I think about it, it's unlikely that Toyota engineers would fit this more powerful motor without beefing up the old Hilux box, including the thickness of the spiggot, which is after all the the sole transfer of power from motor to box. In any case it should'nt pose too much of a problem unless the Surf's bell is deeper, then the spiggot will be short and might need to be lengthened or the bush bearing that you fit would have to stand proud off the flywheel depending on how much tolerance there is between flywheel and clutch plate. :think:

ToyX4
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by ToyX4 »

ToyX4 wrote:
GOOSENZ wrote:well there toyota hilux surf comes out standard with a 3.4 quad cam V6 and is very easy to do as im pulling my 22R hilux motor out and putting one of them in as the bell housing should bolt strauight upto the gearbox and the wiring side of it is easy i could even find one over here for you and get it shipped over to you
Anthony, where did you get this V6 motor, and what do they price?
What does the complete conversion cost?
Oops, didn't read lekker. Now I see you not in SA :oops: :oops:
ImageImage
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Hmmm, .... looks like your mind gets sharper as the hour gets later, Riaan :) ..... Hey! What're you drinking??! :twisted:

ToyX4
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by ToyX4 »

Mud Dog wrote:Hmmm, .... looks like your mind gets sharper as the hour gets later, Riaan :) ..... Hey! What're you drinking??! :twisted:
Red bull :mrgreen:
ImageImage
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Guess I'll have to stock up on some of those! :D:

GOOSENZ
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by GOOSENZ »

well when doing the 3.4 surf V6 conversion it seems very easy and is very easy as all you need to do is get the manual 4x4 surf V6 bellhousing which will bolt up to the hilux d/c box and then the motor will bolt straighty up to the box but then you will need to move to chassis mounts back by not much to line up with the engine mounts. the radiator out of the surf V6 bolts up the the LN65 hilux 4x4 with out any problems and all whole line up. there is not much to the wirng loom as it didn't take me long to connect it up unlike the lexus V8 when the loom is cut. I can get the surf 3.4 V6 efi motor for close to $600 to $700 nz dollars.
GOOSENZ
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by GOOSENZ »

i also know that when putting toyota into toyota everything seemd to fit in as my hilux that i have now its had a 2.4TDi efi 2LTE motor that i put in that was out of a surf but was running a computer. i then sold that motor and bought a 2.4 22R motor for $550 nz and when it came to putting it in the bell housing bolted up to the box with out any problems the clutch on the motor was not change and it went straight onto the spicket. the chassis mounts never need to be moved and the raditor from my diesel engine was use for the motor. now every one in south africa tried to stop me from doing this conversion but i still think i did good cause pulling a 17 foot boat up a hill in third gear at 4000 rpm doing 100kph is good
GOOSENZ
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by GOOSENZ »

i am on shype if you need more info on this conversion
ToyX4
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by ToyX4 »

Goose, at current exchange rates, it is just under R4000 for the motor.
What would the shipping costs be?

Guess we won't find a bellhousing in RSA? What would that cost?

How about engine mounts?

I am now seriously considering this.
ImageImage
GOOSENZ
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by GOOSENZ »

well the engine will come with the bell housing , engine mounts and wiring loom and computer.

my shype user name is hilux.xtreme if anyone whats to talk to me
GOOSENZ
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by GOOSENZ »

with the shipping cost i would have to find out for you. but there is a internet site called trademe that if you know where to look on it you will see the prices on V6 and V8 toyota motors
ToyX4
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by ToyX4 »

I don't have skype, so can only communicate here.

When you coming back? Think you can fit the engine in your luggage :lol: :lol:

My concern now is parts for this motor...... maybe not such a good idea then........
7MGE still the best option...........
ImageImage
GOOSENZ
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by GOOSENZ »

i will see if i can get the engine codes and then you can do more research as i should be back in south africa in march for a month as it will only take me 2 days to a week to fit it
ToyX4
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by ToyX4 »

Would it be this engine?
FROM WIKPEDIA:
5VZ-FE
The 5VZ-FE is a 3.4 L (3378 cc) engine. Bore is up to 93.5 mm (3.7 in) and stroke is 82.0 mm (3.2 in). Output is 190 hp (142 kW) at 4800 rpm with 220 ft·lbf (298 Nm) of torque at 3600 rpm. It has a cast iron engine block and aluminum DOHC cylinder heads. It uses MFI fuel injection, has 4 valves per cylinder with bucket tappets and features large cast connecting rods, a one-piece cast camshaft, and a cast aluminum intake manifold.

The 5VZ-FE also continued the 3VZ-FE's trend of being far overbuilt for its intended application & many stock, semi-modified non-turbo and non-superchargered engines continue to be considered one of the more reliable small truck or SUV V6 engines ever made. A handful of built versions exceed 900 hp (670 kW), and some stock engines can produce 450 hp (336 kW) or more. This has become a popular engine to consider when doing engine swaps with the availability of the 3.4 L TRD supercharger and custom turbocharger setups.

Applications:

Toyota Tacoma
Toyota Tundra
Toyota T-100
Toyota 4Runner
Toyota Land Cruiser Prado
Toyota Granvia
Now wouldn't this power be turning the 33" BFG's lekker :D:
ImageImage
GOOSENZ
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by GOOSENZ »

yeah thats the one. i will see my supplier tomorrow which will be in the morning for you and see what he has got as i got the ecu off him for $50 nz which you can have
Attachments
79731554_full.jpg
GOOSENZ
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by GOOSENZ »

now that is a picture of the 3.4 toyota V6
ToyX4
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by ToyX4 »

Cool. I sent you an e-mail. Hope you got it.
If I do this, I'll opt for an aftermarket ECU, to tune that motor right.
ImageImage
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Now that's the kind of conversion I was looking for when I started the thread. Easy, straight forward, bolt on / bolt off and moving engine mounts is easy enough. The beauty is that it's all still Toyota! The only hurdle I can forsee is the ECU, but that would be the same challenge for any other conversion anyway. I am under the impression though that these are rather thirsty motors, .... comments?
The motor in the picture looks like the standard Prado motor, can anyone confirm?

GOOSENZ
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by GOOSENZ »

well i can't comment on this as im not in south africa to compair them
GOOSENZ
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by GOOSENZ »

well its not just a bolt in as you will need to move the chassis mounts for the motor as the V6 is shorter than the V8. you might also have to make up new engine mounts to suit the motor and chassis mounts. i will be finding out more about this conversion as i will be back in south africa fitting one into a hilux for a guy off the forum and hope to get some pictures and info. this fitting will be hope free of charge and won't be charging for my labour to fit it
ToyX4
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by ToyX4 »

Andy, yip, the older Prado's came out with this motor.
My concern was spares availability, but seeing that the Prado's came out with this V6, spares should be available.

I think an aftermarket ECU should be used, I will speak to our resident Dicktator guru, Bennie, about it.

The motor seems relatively cheap, but the shipping costs and import duties is what is worrying me.

Bellhousing is another worry.

Radiator one can buy for say R2000 to R3000 - ( wild guestimate)

Anthony will keep us posted on the specifics.

On the fuel consumption side, I guess they would be thirsty.
My 22R EFi gets 5.5 - 6.5 km/l running 33" BFG muds.
Now I wouldn't mind this consumption, as long as I have POWER to keep those 33's turning at a better avg speed than the 22R manages.

Shall I sign you up for a 3.4 V6 motor, Andy? :twisted:
ImageImage
GOOSENZ
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by GOOSENZ »

a person just has to watch over here as there are 1UZFE V8s that are going for $1000 nz complete with ecu
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

I'd prefer the V6 over the V8, The extra power of a V8 is unwarranted, not able to be handled by the Lux drivetrain, The motor is thirstier and the mod is a lot more complicated. I assume that with the V6, I can still get away without beefing up the front suspension as I have full OME with 6 leaves up front rather than the softer 5 leaf option.
Shall I sign you up for a 3.4 V6 motor, Andy?
Riaan I'm going to wait and see how Anthony goes with the RSA convesion first. In the meantime I'll just sip away at the red bulls. :D:

GOOSENZ
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by GOOSENZ »

well it took me 2 days to get mine mounted into my hilux as there ain't much different to the V6 just 2 extra cylinders. question to you all how long does it take to do a chassis replacement on a double cab 4x4 hilux solid beam axle?
ToyX4
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by ToyX4 »

Just spoke to a local engine importer.
This 3.4 V6 sells for R17500 :!:
ImageImage
GOOSENZ
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by GOOSENZ »

so what will be cheaper to do eaither the V8 or the V6 would you go for the 3.0L V6? to get the V6 in , it will be the same amount work as is to get the V8 in
GOOSENZ
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by GOOSENZ »

hi there all. well i found a 3.0L V6 with auto gear box for $500 nz if anyone is keen but also waiting on the reply to the 2004 prado the rolled as put through a question on the motor and how much he wanted for it
ecotech
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: cape town
Vehicle: volkswagen tdi

Post by ecotech »

the motor you are all talking about is the 3VZ motor. it is the 3.5 V6 out of the toyota surf and the motor is simmiler to the locally produced camry V6. ti only differance is the outlet manifold and the intake manifold.

the motor is available from commercial engines is selby johannesburg for R8500-00. the motor comes with power steering pump, altinator and aircon pump. i was looking at the same motor when i had my lux.

they have the 7mge (3l cressida) for R3950 and the 1gge (2l cressida/ high torque) for R3750.

hope it helps
loop maar met my voete!!!!!!!!!!
GOOSENZ
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by GOOSENZ »

hi all im back again just been busy with my V8 and been rebuilding a toyota V6 motor with a super charger unit on top of it and will be doing the conversion for the guy over here first to see how easy it is over here before i come over to sa to do yours as then at the same time i can get the exhaust all made up so when there it should all bolt straight in and when i can make the loom up for you to so then all i have to do is plug it in and away you go. the guy whom i was doing the rebuilding the V6 for was saying to me that he wanted nos put on to it for when he needed the extra power but i said to him that he will brake something when the gearbox and diffs or even the engine is under stress. but the super charger is more than enough but i will soon find out
Neg006
Town: Midrand
Vehicle: Land Cruiser

Post by Neg006 »

Hi All, im looking at buying a 4runner with 3VZ. i am also looking at doing a conversion on this vehicle to a 1KZ-TE or 1KD-FTV IF i can find one of these at a good price. or should i just keep the 3VZ motor? i drove it and it felt a bit sluggish....??
im new here and not sure if this is the right spot to post. i have posted on the 4runner thread but thought i would get more info on other threads too. :)
Piesang
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Grabouw
Vehicle: '99 Hilux SRX d/c 4x4

Post by Piesang »

I'd prefer the V6 over the V8, The extra power of a V8 is unwarranted, not able to be handled by the Lux drivetrain,
Is this on the 2.2/2.4 drivetrain :?: or will the 2.7 drivetrain take the power of a V8 :?:

"Onderwerp julle dan aan God; weerstaan die duiwel, en hy sal van julle wegvlug." Jak 4:7
Castos
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Nelspruit
Vehicle: Ry die vyand
Club VHF Licence: B01

Post by Castos »

Their is a Aussie spec surf standing in Nelspruit for sale with a camry 3.0l V6 motor in. Runs very nicely I must say. So yes it can be done.
97 Hilux Raider D/C With some exstra's
Elands4x4
Ons gaan dieper en bly langer!!!
PERS KERS
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: HILUX,CRUISER,FORTUNER

Post by PERS KERS »

Vir al die tyd en geld wat julle gaan spandeer op n' klein enjin-maak die som en sien 1UZFE vvti is die oplossing, krag ,nuwer tegnologie ens, selfs die ombouing wat Demon doen is n' beter opsie. Doen mooi navorsing , kyk na nuwer enjins en tegnologie bv vvti! Groete

Return to “Engine conversions (Lexus/7M-GE/3RZ-FE etc)”