Post questions, advice and pictures of Engine conversions here
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '96 D/C Raider

1UZ-FE (lexus v8) engine and Autobox in an SFA Lux

Post by BenHur »

Calling Blommie and other resident IUZ engine transplanters.

I was wondering. What transfercase do you use with the autobox? Do you strip off the Hilux transfercase and fit it to the autobox via an adapter or do you use a divorce transfercase and if so what case works best and is easily obtainable?

Then I was wondering have anyone ever tried doing away with the the 1UZ's dizzy and used a multi-coil wasted spark or coil on plug scenario? I was wondering it it would be possible to use something like 2x 3RZ coils to ignite a 1UZ.

Also have anyone seen a steering paddle shift conversion on an SFA lux. Any details?

Is there any other serious things to consider?

My idea is that a Lexus moutor with autobox controlled by a Dicktator Engine ECU end GBox management system and coolled via a 740i radiator and sommer an extra expansion tank that can hold an extra few litres of coolant driving a set of 33s or 35's on 12JJ rims so that you have enough space to split and widen the front calliper to fit around a ventilated disk would be Ethiopia in an SFA...

Just wondering :think: :think: :think:
blom
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Landrovia
Vehicle: xj jeep & SERIES 3 & Isuzu KB 300 Dtec DC

Re: 1UZ-FE (lexus v8) engine and Autobox in an SFA Lux

Post by blom »

Nou praat die meneer!!!
Bennie die prado transfer is 'n bolt on , maar ek is nie mal oor hom nie(shift met motor en as ek reg onthou is hy "chain drive")
Die hilux t box soos ons hom ken sal my keuse wees, die adapters le ook die wereld vol.(di t boxe is near indestructable)
onthou tog net dat watever jy doen die "speed sensor" moet bly, dit is effe van 'n gesukkel om die 4l63e ratkas van die lexie "smooth" te kry sonder hom.
As jy die surge tank kom haal sal ek jou op Boesman wys hou jy kan maak met die radiator se expansion tank, ek is self 'n voorstaander van baie water en het 'n vet plan gemaak en dit werk heel oulik

Paddle shift het ons al lekke mee gespeel en die beste manier bly maar to nog 'n draad, ons het probeer met brass ringe en al die mooi goette maar dit wou nie "perfek" werk nie
toe steek ons twee 12v "hek remotes" daar in en die het te pragtig gerk maar was ook maar nie die ultimate nie
Grensvegter van LANDROVIA
Thabogrobler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: '02 'Lux KZ
Club VHF Licence: x223

Post by Thabogrobler »

Can't you use the box from the RX300? Surely that would be waaaaaayyyy easier than fiddling around with adaptor plates, etc?
'02 KZ 'Lux. Cooled. Chipped. Onca'd. Cherished!

If you are a diesel fan, raise your hand.
If you aren't raising your hand, raise your standards!

A 4x4 is merely a machine that enables you to get stuck further away from civilization.
Toybox
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Hilex
Club VHF Licence: X100

Post by Toybox »

Bennie,

My hilex uses the lexus auto mated to the original hilux transfer by a short adapter. The props and cross member need some small mods to account for the change in length in the setup.

I'm not too sure about modding the dizzy's or going to wasted spark, but to be honest I'm not sure why you'd want to go that route either. The standard setup works perfectly.

I can't really comment on the Dictator tiptronic setup but my experience of the Spitronics one is that paddle shift is possible, but as Blommie said the wiring is the challange. Peet developed the remotes to try work around that challange but I dont think its that popular. Having said that I find I very seldom use the tiptronic function. The box works very well and is very responsive. I mounted the speed sensor that Bom mentions to one of the bolts on the back of the transfer,from there it picks up the 4 bolts on the prop/transfer flange.

With regards to the cooling issue, I use a 740 radiator with a VW expansion tank and havnt had any problems. I did find that the big trick to cooling the engine was airflow over the radiator. Only once I fitted the worlds most expensive fans in a custom cowling did the cooling problems go away. On the open road the radiator works so well its frightening. Without a thermostat (when i bought her she didnt have one fitted) the water temps never got over 50 degrees on the freeway!

My 35's are fitted to 8J rims, which is prob a bit of a squeeze but I havent experienced any ill effects. The front has to have a spacer to allow the tyres to clear the front leafs. This allows more than enough space to fit the IFS callipers and croozer vented discs.
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: '96 D/C Raider

Post by BenHur »

Thanks Blom ek sal so maak

Jonathan you do not need to change your callipers, you just split them and space them 8mm to fit round the FJ75 ventilated disks, wanted to do that long ago when I bought the power brake disks but could not due to space problems inside the rims. I think maybe spacers like yours is not a bad idea.

Return to “Engine conversions (Lexus/7M-GE/3RZ-FE etc)”