Post questions, advice and pictures of Engine conversions here
TOYMAD
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Bellville
Vehicle: 1995 HILUX SFA S/C 2.4D, FORTUNER 4X4 3.0 D-4D

Just an idea

Post by TOYMAD »

Guys, it would be really helpful if those who have converted their 4Y's, 2L's & 3L's to whatever other 4 or 6 cylinder Toyota engine, publish a parts and references list like SifuLux did; download/file.php?id=4967. Costs and source references for all parts, together with a compilation of teething problems and solutions would be fantastic. I personally have an original 2L 2.4 "rocker arm" Diesel (a replacement by previous owner) and I have to look at possibly the following options;

If I want to stay with diesel, which I would prefer, I have to tweak the existing engine with little gains for about R6K, before a genuine Toyota turbo option, which Hoppy reckons would set me back about R10K. Or for the same power, I can source a 5L for about R18K before it's fitted and even then the reliability would be questionable, which also applies for the turbo. If I go for a KZ-TE, I need to look at changing diff ratio's, which would probably cost in excess of R30K?

If I want to make the change to petrol, whilst keeping in mind that this is a hunting/farming vehicle which will need to do long distances from time to time, the 3RZ seems to be the way to go, without re-arranging the engine bay too much. What the costs and spares etc, required would be, is totally unknown to me. I like the Ford v6 and had such a JT3000 Lux before, but when fetching Kudu's in kloofs, that heavy engine would be hell on engine mounts.

Thus, I think if those that had done the pioneering work on conversions, could kindly share on an informative forum such as this, their experiences in condensed format (almost in coversion manual style) for those of us with more questions than answers, it would be tremendous. :clap:
LEGENDARY1995 SFA TOYOTA HILUX SC 4X4 2.4 Diesel
PERS KERS
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: HILUX,CRUISER,FORTUNER

Re: Just an idea

Post by PERS KERS »

Amper enige ombouing is moontlik, dis net hoeveel geld het n' ou beskikbaar, die Lexcus V8 is n' goeie opsie, ek is nou besig met n' V8 4.0 vvti 2004 model enjin. Het jy al na die D4D 3.0 enjin gekyk ,as jy moet diesel gebruik?
TOYMAD
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by TOYMAD »

Pers Kers, nee nie regtig nie, maar ek dink hierdie enjins sal vrek duur wees. :shock: Weereens dink ek 'n mens sal dan moet rondspeel met diff ratio's, bell housings, en, en, en. :roll:
Thabogrobler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '02 'Lux KZ
Club VHF Licence: x223

Post by Thabogrobler »

Best kw/rand ratio would certainly be the V6?
'02 KZ 'Lux. Cooled. Chipped. Onca'd. Cherished!

If you are a diesel fan, raise your hand.
If you aren't raising your hand, raise your standards!

A 4x4 is merely a machine that enables you to get stuck further away from civilization.
TOYMAD
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by TOYMAD »

Thabo, you're absolutely right. Amazing how much easier it is to fit a Ford engine to a Lux than a genuine Toyota engine, other than of course doing a "plug and play" fitting of a 5L. My needs are fairly simple; I would like to cruise at 110-120 and have as close to (or preferably no less than) 200Nm torque as I can get. More low down torque is always welcome, but surprisingly the 2.4 almost idles overs obstacles. Now I'm thinking to maybe keep the 2.4, as little else is going to give me 11km/L. Then to perhaps opt for a snorkel, free-flow exhaust system, going from a 3-core radiator to a 4-core and replacing the viscous fan with a serious suction configured 2-stage electric fan (BMW/Mercedes). I would like to stick to 31" tyres and not go smaller, so any gains I get in power and torque, would be an improvement. This is a workhorse and is not required to fly up the Atlantis dunes at record speed.

Return to “Engine conversions (Lexus/7M-GE/3RZ-FE etc)”