what diff to fit?

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
dirty130
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Ipswich
Vehicle: 4 Runner 1st Gen

what diff to fit?

Post by dirty130 »

I have a 1986 4runner with a 2.2 4Y engine which has G142 diffs which is a ratio of 4.875 i have some spare diffs which are G252 diffs which has a ratio of 4.556. My question is if i fit the other diffs how will this effect fuel consumption and acceleration?

Thanks Dave
conversion man
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: pretoria
Vehicle: 911 Carreara MB CL 500 MB 500SEC MB 450 SLC CHRYSLER CROSSFIRE CONVERTABLE SFA HILEX JEEP 5.2 V8 FORD RANGER LEXUS

Re: what diff to fit?

Post by conversion man »

Unless you fit astronger engine you will be waisting your time because lower rpm does not always give better fuel consumption . If the engine is not strong enough to use the extra (legs) of the ratio you will have to gear back more often .First install a stronger engine .
dirty130
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by dirty130 »

found my answer http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; its very interesting.
dirty130
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by dirty130 »

yes i totally agree with you. do you think that changing from 4.875 to 4.556 actually make alot of difference to fuel on the hi way? I live in Queenslands so we do alot of hi ways k's to get anywhere. around the city i think i will suffer. The problem i have at the moment is that the rear diff leaks and wines the front diffs driver side output flang has alot of play in it. My choices are spend $175 each per diff for seals and bearings and fit them my self then get the diffs centered by a professional or just swap the diffs to the spare ones i have which have no play or leaks. I was wondering if anyone had swapped diffs of the simlar ratio and engine size. I am looking a 2.8 turbo diesel conversion in the future but need to make the truck solid first. Thanks for your reply

Return to “The Workshop”