Now the fun begins

Discuss modifications on your new shape Hilux here. 2005 till current. Also called the Vigo in other countries.
Rollercoaster639
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Bethal MP
Vehicle: Hilux 2.8 4x4 AT extended cab.
Club VHF Licence: X84

Now the fun begins

Post by Rollercoaster639 »

Just to give all of you some of my background and why I bought my new Hilux. I have a very long driveway of 1,8 Km, Yup it is a two track farm road which is fine in the winter months (No Rain), but in the Summer months it is one long mud river.(Black Turf soil that sticks to everything) I got a quote to have the road fixed / upgrades about two years ago using suitable soil which they dig out of my farm. They wanted the price of two new bakkies to do this and I was suppling the fill material…So this was not a good idea.

Next I went to plan “B”..I bought a Mazda BT 50 with DIFF LOCK. Now I would have no more problems and I could forget about the road….Wrong again. (I have no complaints about the Mazda BT 50, in fact I was and still am impressed with it.) but it still got stuck in the mud even with diff lock.

I have had three Toyota 4x4 bakkies in my past and was not very impressed with the performance especially the last 2.8 Diesel which was a Donkey.

I have also got a Suzuki SJ413 which I really abuse, It has been lifted, auto front lockers, crawler gears, 1600 Toyota Twin cam motor and most important Cooper STT’s…It has never got stuck (on my mud road) but is not suite for any long distance,50Km max or towing a trailer.

NOW I have a new Hilux S/Cab and as I said Now the fun begins. This is my “Shopping List” in priority

1. Old Man Emu suspension lift..(Medium back and front)
2. Coopers 265 / 75 / 16 and new 16’rims / Mags “Blink”
3. ARB Front Lockers
4. ARB front Sahara Bumper / Bull Bar
5. Long Range Tank
6. Will decide once 1 to 5 have been achieved but will include canopy, maybe RRT, Winch, UHF Radio which will also be used daily,
Other items that I hope to get while trying for 1 to 5 would be bash plates and rock sliders.

If anyone has any help or suggestions I would really appreciate it. We also do get the chance to go away 3 times a year for "Walk about" :D: The front lockers might seem too high in the priority list so I need to mention that at Least twice a week I tow a five meter long trailer which does not weigh to much but when the road is muddy I can not pull it out of the farm even with a 4x4… Hence the front locker move up the priority list.

Below I have a pic of my Suzuki and also the Virgin Hilux as I have read “No pic’s mean you don’t have it."
I also take this opportunity to thank this forum which has assisted me in making my choice of the above equipment and Brands. I have also read about the support that 4x4 MeggaWorld has given to members on this forum recently as well as there good after sale service. Base on this they will be getting all my business. They start next week with the OME suspension. I will keep this post updated as I go along.
Attachments
Toyota1.JPG
Suzuki1.JPG
the BuTch3R
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: '89 Hilux SFA - SOLD; '95 Hilux - STOLEN; '67 Series 2A Land Rover; 3.5 V6 Pajero; 120 Prado VX 4.0

Re: Now the fun begins

Post by the BuTch3R »

Very nice lux, Barry. Enjoy :mrgreen:

PS- I dig your zook :thumbup:
Witblits
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Koringberg
Vehicle: Hilux D4-D S/Cab
Club VHF Licence: X50

Post by Witblits »

Great to see another single cab on the forum, Barry. I have always wondered about the neccessity for those heavy front bumpers. One can fit a winch without them. Anyway, my personal preference would be for the bash plates before a bumper. Even a dual battery system before that, for the fridge/freezer for those walk abouts. Enjoy the fun!
ImageImageImage
CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Post by CasKru »

Really impressive looking Lux that
To God be the glory
Rollercoaster639
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Witblits wrote:Great to see another single cab on the forum, Barry. I have always wondered about the neccessity for those heavy front bumpers. One can fit a winch without them. Anyway, my personal preference would be for the bash plates before a bumper. Even a dual battery system before that, for the fridge/freezer for those walk abouts. Enjoy the fun!
I am working on the bash plates. Told Swambo that they are cheap.. :lol:

As far as the duel battery system is concerned I have read ALL the thread about them on two forums and can report in all honesty that now I am really confused. :crazy: and dont have a cooking clue what to do.
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Rollercoaster639 wrote:
Witblits wrote:Great to see another single cab on the forum, Barry. I have always wondered about the neccessity for those heavy front bumpers. One can fit a winch without them. Anyway, my personal preference would be for the bash plates before a bumper. Even a dual battery system before that, for the fridge/freezer for those walk abouts. Enjoy the fun!

As far as the duel battery system is concerned I have read ALL the thread about them on two forums and can report in all honesty that now I am really confused. :crazy: and dont have a cooking clue what to do.
What are you confused about?
Rollercoaster639
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

OOOOMS wrote:
Rollercoaster639 wrote:

What are you confused about?
Do I use my existing battery and additional D/C battery with DC-DC gharger or NL charger...I read the loooong post started by Uys and somewere I came to the conclusion that the DC battery will not be charged fully and would eventually go flat. The other deduction that I made was to use a normal battery as the second but this does not suite the Fridge...Like I said Confused
Uys
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: 2008 D4-d Fortuner

Post by Uys »

Sit die nuwe DC2DC charger in.
Witblits
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Witblits »

Too much forum research does that to you, Barry, I know the feeling. I am technically challenged, so what I do is to read up as much as I can take, ask my 4x4 fitment guy all the clever questions so researched and then follow his advice if he can answer my questions to my satisfaction. In this way I had a National Luna system fitted for the D/C battery to run my NL twin. And it works well for us - one 15 day Namibia tour and some 4 camping/route trips later.
ImageImageImage
Rollercoaster639
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Well the hilux has gone in today for OME suspension and front lockers. Should be finished by tomorrow.
Witblits
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Witblits »

Barry, let us know how the lux handles the long mud river with the new lockers and suspension. Can't wait to hear. Hope you've had good rain!
ImageImageImage
Rollercoaster639
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Got my Hilux back today..OME suspension fitted....ARB front lockers and compressor fitted...The difference measured before and after up front was 60mm. Having read a lot of posts I am expecting to settle down to about 30 or 40mm.

Tomorrow it will go to have the tyres and rims fitted. Changing the rims to 16' and the tyres to 265/75/16. I have also taken delivery of the bottom bash plates from Uys. Will also try and fit them between now and Monday.
Insurance want a "Tracker" fitted so they will come and fit it also tomorrow night.

Front ARB Bumper must be colour coded and hopefully will be fitted on Monday if all goes as per plan.

Some Pic's
Attachments
Sorry about the fence in the way
Sorry about the fence in the way
IMG_7729a.jpg
IMG_7728a.jpg
IMG_7727a.jpg
IMG_7726a.jpg
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

Excellent, Barry! :thumbup:

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

Traveler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Springs
Vehicle: Pathfinder 2.5 LE AT
Club VHF Licence: X81

Post by Traveler »

Barry, excellent work done.

Know what you don't know.
Witblits
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Witblits »

Awesome, makes one want to start all over again!
ImageImageImage
Blaps
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Rustenburg
Vehicle: Hilux 4x4 Ford V6

Post by Blaps »

:thumbup: Very, very neat :thumbup:
;-) I wish...
Go, just go.... Somewhere.... Out There...
Traveler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Traveler »

Barry, you also going to fit an additional diesel filter?

Rollercoaster639
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

@Traveler: I will be but I do not have all the info on what to fit and where to get it.

Tyres are getting fitted as we speak. 265/75/16 on new 16' rims. I have just been informed that when turning the steering wheel the tyres catch on the mud flap....Any sujestion what to do now. I read that I can ask the wheel alligianment specilist to move it forward??? or must I just remove the mud flaps...(Only talking about the front)
Traveler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Traveler »

Traveler wrote:Barry, you also going to fit an additional diesel filter?
Contact Turboformance in Nelspruit for a Racor DIY kit, comes with EVERYTHING you might need.

http://www.turboformance.co.za/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

On the tyres rubbing the mud flaps, mine was only rubbing when under articulation, not normal conditions, so I took the belt sander to the mud flaps.

ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy

Post by ChrisF »

Donaldson hase branches throughout SA.

I had a look at their diesel filter and water trap - VERY NICE ! and under a R1k for the unit, but I am not sure if that includes the bracket or pipes.

I particularly like the water trap as it is clear, and one would be able to see water in it.
Rollercoaster639
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

@Chris..I think this is what I will do...I must still read up on what size filters but if you have all the info/spec then let me have it. Our Diesel is always dirty....We buy it in 200l drums and if the tractor is anything to go by then I need the filters.

Just a quick update: 265/75/16 tyres and new 16' mag rims have been fitted. The front tyres was scraping against the mud flaps when doing a sharp turn. Had to remove the mud flaps for now. Once the front bumper is fitted (on Monday) I will then ask a wheel alignment centre to move them as far forward as the spec will allow. I know the new rims are "bling" but I wanted to keep with the theme of the Hilux 40 hence the chrome.

Also fitted Uys Bash Plate.

Our 1.8Km mud road is at its best. We have had23mm rain yesterday and 90mm rain just Today. It is absolutely no problem now to get out of the farm. :yahoo: :yahoo: The mud tyres do throw a lot of mud all over the show, while driving one just see mud flying.

Some Pic...let me know what you think
Attachments
IMG_7740a.jpg
IMG_7744a.jpg
IMG_7746a.jpg
IMG_7753a.jpg
Traveler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Traveler »

Looks real good Barry.

Frederick
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Hendrina Mpumalanga
Vehicle: 2011 Hilux. 2016 79 Land Cruiser
Club VHF Licence: X42

Post by Frederick »

Eish dis darem maar baie mooi!!! Ek het presies dieselfde probleem gehad met die wiele wat geskuur het en nadat Dawie by Hi-Q Menlyn die wiele vorentoe geskuif het was die probleem 100% opgelos.
Rollercoaster639
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Frederick wrote:Eish dis darem maar baie mooi!!! Ek het presies dieselfde probleem gehad met die wiele wat geskuur het en nadat Dawie by Hi-Q Menlyn die wiele vorentoe geskuif het was die probleem 100% opgelos.
Frederick kon jy die mud flaps terug sit toe Hi-Q klaar die wiele vorentoe geskuif het
Hi-Hilux
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Tsumeb
Vehicle: 1991 Hilux2.2 ---1987 Hilux D/C Hella 1000, Rancho RS9000XL shocks, Good Year M/TR, Warn Winch, STK bullbar, Extended shacles, Kenwood VHF-SOLD

Post by Hi-Hilux »

ek dink jou rim en kleur keuse was perfect. Daai Lux se net een ding....WINDGAT
Is gebed jou spaarwiel of jou stuurwiel?
'Life is a coin. You can spend it anyway you wish, but you can only spend it ONCE'
Frederick
Town: Hendrina Mpumalanga
Vehicle: 2011 Hilux. 2016 79 Land Cruiser
Club VHF Licence: X42

Post by Frederick »

Rollercoaster639 wrote:
Frederick wrote:Eish dis darem maar baie mooi!!! Ek het presies dieselfde probleem gehad met die wiele wat geskuur het en nadat Dawie by Hi-Q Menlyn die wiele vorentoe geskuif het was die probleem 100% opgelos.
Frederick kon jy die mud flaps terug sit toe Hi-Q klaar die wiele vorentoe geskuif het

Jip. Ek het hulle nooit eens afgehaal nie!
Rollercoaster639
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Just a quick update....Front aftermarket bumper added which we had colour coded.
Attachments
Front Bumper added
Front Bumper added
ThysdJ
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Post by ThysdJ »

Looks like youre enjoying yourself Barry... Well done, it looks really funky!! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
luckyhit
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Vehicle: '04 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 d/c

Post by luckyhit »

Now that looks very very nice!!
One Life! Live it!

Tjokkie
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Heidelberg GP
Vehicle: 2011 Hilux D4D D/C 4x4 (no mods...yet), Hilux 3.0 KZTE D/C 4x4 with minor mods

Post by Tjokkie »

Barry, your truck looks impressive!!!

Having lived in Bethal a few years (and loved it) i would think your truck stands out well in the parking lot between all the boere bakkies. Even though most boere that side drive Land Cruisers nowadays.

There are a few pics missing though.... we need to see the ones where the Lux is eating the drive way turf. I promise you theres not many guys who really knows how snotty and sticky the black turf found in those parts get.....a couple of the Hilux Club guys may just pay you a visit to learn first hand.
Rollercoaster639
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Well we have fitted the canopy and I don't know if I like it on. Suppose it will grow on me. On the positive side we now have plenty space and a comfortable ride bearing in mind that our little Suzuki sj 413 lacked both of these qualities. It is also very nice just to throw the stuff in the back and lock the canopy. ( I don't have to sit in the van and make sure that someone does not break the window for a loaf of bread in a plastic bag left on the seat while Swambo does the shopping....Now I can sit in the Pub) :angel:

The canopy will not be able to be left on the van as from Monday to friday it is the farms workhorse so not to bad. Next will be long range tank and second battery. Was going to remove the second battery system from the Suzuki but decided against it.
Easter weekend will see us in Moz for our first overland test with the new rig. (Still in planning phase) We have done Dewilt, Lake Eland in Natal(easy) and Sani pass with no problems and felt safe. OME suspension is working OK. I have a lot of trust in our Suzuki's 4 wheel drive capability so the Hilux will have to start to earn our trust.
Some picks..Once again feel free to comment, positive or negative.
Attachments
DSCN0631.jpg
DSCN0632.jpg
Witblits
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Witblits »

Looks awesome, Barry. Methinks the alu colour and that funky blue is a perfect fit. All that trouble just to get off the farm [imagine an appropriate smiling thingie here]!
ImageImageImage
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Post by Mr_B »

Like the look, just the alu rims aren't my favourite... I would rather go for a set of beadlocker rims, will make it look potent... but yes it are looking fantastic!
Blaps
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Rustenburg
Vehicle: Hilux 4x4 Ford V6

Post by Blaps »

:thumbup: Barry :thumbup:
Looks fantaaaastic.... very very nice
I will keep on dreaming :)
Go, just go.... Somewhere.... Out There...
AM Racing
Town: East London
Vehicle: Range Rover Classic V8

Post by AM Racing »

Looking good. :thumbup: Must be sucking the bank account somewhat.... I would have put the d/c side step or rock slider to protect the load body in front of the rear wheels. Looks almost tooooo nice to bundu bash with. :naah:
ImageImageImage
Rollercoaster639
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Well the Hilux is busy getting the long range tank and `dc2dc duel battery system fitted. Also getting some issues with the canopy repaired. Will post a pick once I get it back.
I will also be able to give some comparison of the two different types of duel battery systems in due course. The Suzuki has a plain and simple solenoid with one HC and one DC battery in. This works fine for long weekends but not much longer. (We are heavy on the fridge with it been opened and closed a lot but has never let us down over a long week end. We have been left with a flat DC battery on longer trips. (60% bad power management and 40% insufficient charging)
Tjokkie
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Heidelberg GP
Vehicle: 2011 Hilux D4D D/C 4x4 (no mods...yet), Hilux 3.0 KZTE D/C 4x4 with minor mods

Post by Tjokkie »

Jy moet aangaan met jou lus maakery Barry...'n nuwe bakkie en al die kit gaan my bank bestuurder weer terug in sy rolstoel sit!!!
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Barry, dit lyk super awsome :thumbup: Gaan jy ook een van daai Fox Awnings aansit? Toe ons nou in Nam was het hulle super gewerk! Beslis die geldjies werd :thumbup:
CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Post by CasKru »

Barry daai bakkie van jou lyk stunning. Ek was nog altyd lief vir daai kleur blou op 'n voertuig.
To God be the glory
legend35
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: Hilux 2700i
Club VHF Licence: HC262

Post by legend35 »

Barry,that is one super nice bakkie.Wish mine looked like that :thumbup:
2004 Hilux 2700i 4x4 Legend 35
ImageImageImageImage
Cowley branch and freeflow,long range tank,dual battery system,home made front and rear bumpers.
Rollercoaster639
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

OOOOMS wrote:Barry, dit lyk super awsome :thumbup: Gaan jy ook een van daai Fox Awnings aansit? Toe ons nou in Nam was het hulle super gewerk! Beslis die geldjies werd :thumbup:
Mark die idea is om n awning aantesit later....eers die RTT. Het nog nie kans gehad om te kyk watter maak. Enige raad sal welkom wees. Ons will die hilux prakties maak die keer. Die laaste bakkie het ons nie reg gedoen (niks vir die bakkie en alles wat n mens nie nodig het nie ) en n klom geld gemors op onnodige dinge. Ons gaan op n trip of uit kamp elke 3 maande vir omtrent 2 weeke. So ons het al baie voute gemaak om gemorse en onnodige dinge te koop. Skoolgelde is duur en meer as een keur betaal.
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Hoeveel van julle kamp? Jou vrou en jy, en..........

Sal beslis na 'n 1.4 x 2.4 kyk in elke geval, die 1.2 x 2.4 is bietjie nou....

Howling Moon is nogals netjies en jy kan die kant kamertjie aan-zip vir die kinners
Rollercoaster639
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

OOOOMS wrote:Hoeveel van julle kamp? Jou vrou en jy, en..........

Sal beslis na 'n 1.4 x 2.4 kyk in elke geval, die 1.2 x 2.4 is bietjie nou....

Howling Moon is nogals netjies en jy kan die kant kamertjie aan-zip vir die kinners
Net ek en die vrou. As die kinders saamgaan moet hulle in hul eier karre en tente kom. Hulle al groot en uit die huis. (Maar die een nog nie uit my wallet nie)

Ja ek het al baie gelees oor die RTT. Ons is van plan om die 1.4x2.4 HM te kry. Weet nog nie as dit die Delux of Tourer gaan wees. Kan n mense die kamertjie onder altwee van hulle aan zip. Het julle enige raad oor die awnings. Ek het maar bitter min oor hulle gelees.
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Fox awning :thumbup: Moet nie na namaaksels kyk nie.

Ek het 's 2.5 x 2.5 easy-awn en 3.0 x 2.5 serengeti awning....maar fox is by verre die maklikste en effektiefste :!:
Rollercoaster639
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Got the Hilux back and everything looks good. Long range tank fitted and duel battery system (DC2DC). Canopy has had the minor repairs and is looking much better.
We had some issues with the finishing on the inside but as the pic shows it is looking very neat now. I added a solenoid to the battery system to connect the two batteries if using a winch or in an emergency situation.
Attachments
IMG_8459.jpg
IMG_8457.jpg
IMG_8461.jpg
IMG_8463.jpg
IMG_8464.jpg
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Netjies, sien jou 2de battery is sideway's gemonteer, lyk netjies. Maak net 100% seker daai brackets onder die battery is sterk en stewig. Het al gesien by Toy van wheel-arches wat geknak het onder die gewig.

Wat gaan jy binne die canopy doen? Drawer sisteem? Sien die kante is toe!
Blackadder
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Vehicle: Toyota Fortuner 3.0 D4D, Ironman Bumper, OME, Dual Battery, BFG'S, TJM Snorkel, Navstar 220 29mhz radio, LAS Pro Rear Bumper, Frontrunner Roofrack
Club VHF Licence: X82

Post by Blackadder »

Nicely Done...Very Nicely Done... :clap: :clap: :clap:
Toerboer
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Centurion
Vehicle: 3.0 D4D 4X4 DC, lr

Post by Toerboer »

Jou bakkie lyk flippen mooi.Om net by Mark aan te las,wil ek dit beklemtoon dat daar geen ander awning is as n Fox wing nie,as jy klein kinders sal hulle dit kan opslaan en opvou,so maklik is dit.Ek sal n foto post net om jou n idee te gee.Ons het sterk winde ervaar en die foxwing staan dood stil,reen werk hy ook baie goed,as die seil styf gespan is,soos met enige tent loop die water af.Die pale het "eyebolts"op die punte,sou jy dit wou verstewig.Daar is ook nou kant sele wat jy aan kan sit sou jy wou.

Ons het n HM RTT star gazer met die ekstra kamer onder aan,ek wou eers net n gewone tent kry maar is baie bly dat my friende my oortuig het.Die kamer onder is seker 2x2m groot en jy klim direk vanuit jou tent binne in die kamer gedeelte.Soosmark gese het lekker vir die kinders,maar baie meer voordelig wanner mamma in die aand wil aantrek,porta pot,ens.En seker die grootste voordeel vir my is wanneer dit reen het hy n skuiling waar jy minstens die nodige droog kan hou ens,glo jy kry die punt.Sover ek weet kan die extention kry vir die tourer en star gazer.As jy nie lus is om die extention op te sit nie dan werk jou tent soos normaal weg.
Toerboer
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Toerboer »

Hier is n foto van die Fox wing en ook sommer die tent indie agtergrond,kan n idee kry van die grootte.
Attachments
na puros, die warmquelle, na tsumeb deur kaudum tot in botswana 054.jpg
Rollercoaster639
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Marius dankie vir die pic's. Wa kan ek die Fox wing awning koop of navraag doen oor hulle en uitvind wat kos hulle. Ek het dit ge google maar niks nie.
So ver die RTT gaan het ons al besluit op die HM. Almal wat raad gee oor hulle se ook maar die tourer so ons sal maar so een koop. Weerens dankie
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Barry hulle, dis nou die Fox Awning kos so........R6300.00. Pricy maar die moeite werd en sal op jou LWB mooi pas! Ek dink LA Sport doen hulle
Toerboer
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Toerboer »

Hi Barry,

Ek besef vanoggend ek het die awning verkeerdelik benoem.Dit is n OSTRICH WING,en nie n fox wing nie.Die verskil tussen die twee sover ek dit het is die volgende.
OSTRICH WING,het nie pote nie en hang vanaf die construksie wat aan jou roofrack vas is.Hy het die oogies op die punte om n tou aan vas te maak of self n poot aan te sit.

Fox wing,werk baie die selfde,maar die awning het pote wat hom ondersteun.Meer dinge on vas en los te maak,op te slaan ens.

OSTRICH WING,word deur Mega 4x4 versprei,dis al plek waar ek dit nog gesien het.

LA Sport het hulle eie een ontwerp wat nie te sleg is nie,maar nie naastenby so sterk soos die Ostrich wing nie en boonop is al drie(OSTRICH WING,Fox wing en La Sport wing) se prys binne R1000 van mekaar af Die laaste wat ek gesien het was die prys van die OSTRICH WING R6800.00 Fitted met die ripstop materiaal,die sy kante is ek nie seker van nie.

Hoop dit help.
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Barry, ek kyk nou weer deur die thread, seker die mooiste SC wat ek al gesien het :clap: :clap: :clap:
Traveler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Traveler »

Barry, jou blou Hilux is baie-baie netjies.

Rollercoaster639
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Hi Guys, just to update this post a bit and give some of the positive and negative points so far.

I have installed the following since my last post:

As far as the awning goes I decided to go with the Ostrich awnings not because I wanted to or not but because I could not find a supplier of the fox. So Ostrich it is.

I also had the African outback draw system installed (I will post some pics later) with the extension section as is normal for the single cab.

The two way radio was installed between the seats secured to the back of the cab. The antenna is mounted on the front ARB bumper as I did not want to drill holes in my bakkie just yet.

Next to the radio behind the drivers seat I mounted the 1500w inverter. I had some concerns that the DC2DC battery charger mounted behind the passenger seat and the inverter would plat havoc with the VHF two way radio but no such nonsense.

We were also lucky to be able to take a short trip to Mozambique during the Easter break and found the following points:

Negative Points:

The mud terrain tires are noisy and eat some of your power. I did read on the forum that the mud tires are noisy but thought that it cant be too bad. Don’t believe it, they are noisy to a point that I have taken them off. I will only use them for our trips and not for day to day use. For someone who is considering mud tires as there only set of tires to be used for day to day as well as off road I would not recommend them. BUT they do look good and really do perform in the mud. I stuck my original tires back on and immediately felt the increase in power to the point that I am now considering a smaller all purpose tire.

The next problem was that the draw system comes with a fridge slide which is actually the cover of the draw. If you open the draws and there is loose stuff around the fridge then it falls into the draw and you can not close the fridge slide. The other problem with the slide is that with a larger fridge the slide does not extend far enough to open the door of the fridge. (It hits against the canopy door) We have a NL 74liter and we have this problem. With a smaller fridge this would not be a problem so be careful.

The KC spot lights that I had mounted on top of the canopy were not all that good in the first place. Also they look good on the roof but not very practical. Every tree we went under knocked them around. I have now replaced them with two 240mm Light force spots mounted on the front bumper. Hope this works better but have not had a chance to do any field test yet.

The RTT is OK to erect but not all that easy to pack away. It is quite a pain in the butt especially if you are staying in one place for two days or more and want to use the vehicle. It is also made more difficult if your vehicle is lifted and you are short. Leaving the bedding and pillows inside the tent when folding it away also make it interesting. I will be looking at a small type of step ladder of some sort next time.

The last negative point so far is the “roof rack” I have. It is not actually a roof rack but more of a frame around the top of the canopy. This does not work very well at all. If you want to install something semi permanent then you have to drill holes in the roof of the canopy. (Jerry cans holder gas cylinder holders ect). I have ordered a front runner type roof rack measuring 900mm x 1000mm to be fitted to the back half of the canopy behind the RTT.

So Now the Positive Points.

The draw system does allow for easy access. We installed a two plate gas stove in the one and this works really well. Just pull the draw out and you are ready to cook and get coffee.

The Ostrich awning is really easy and fast to erect and pack away. I did not think I would enjoy this piece of equipment as much as I did. :beach: I would recommend this product or similar product. Worth the extra money. Thanks Mark / Marius

As we travel in convoy the VHF radio is a blast and very practical piece of equipment. Thanks Erik

It really just feels good to sleep on top of the bakkie in the RTT. (Don’t make the braai to close to your tent…Smoke goes up)

The DC2DC battery charger seemed to work fine but we did not test it to its full potential but had not problems.

Now there may be a lot of okes that don’t agree with the following piece of equipment but for me is one of the best investments that you can get. The 1500watt inverter is worth every cent I paid. It runs the 1000watt hair dryer quite comfortable so no more explanation necessary. Just buy it.

The single most impressive modification that I done must be the Old Man Emu suspension. I feel the benefits of them daily from a softer ride on the farm road to a more stable feel when going around a corner. I cannot compare it to any other aftermarket suspension but compared to the original suspension it is like chalk and cheese.

I feel I need to say something about the front lockers. With a Hilux I was not given the chance to use them. I never once so far have really been in a position to use them. This must be due to the Hiluxes ability. Maybe some land rover oke can give us some feed back. BUT they do give you that nice warm feeling in your stomach.

Hope this feed back helps someone
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

Nice report, Barry.

Glad the VHF radio is proving useful! ;)

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

NardusJVR
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Louis Trichardt
Vehicle: hilux 2.8TD

Post by NardusJVR »

Lyk goed!
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Interesting and very valid points, Barry :thumbup:

But most you can quickly be overlooked when you are out in the bush, having something cold :!:
Rollercoaster639
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Its been a while since I updated this. Been to Moz twice, Lebombo Echo trail, Transfrontier echo trail and a few weekend stunts to various 4x4 trails including De Wild and Barakah.
Well to cut a long story short due to the back of the bakkie sagging I had air springs fitted then later I fitted the winch. I have the OME suspension fitted front and back. I found the original back suspension needed an extra blade which I had installed. This also proved not ideal hence the air springs.

Once the winch was fitted to the front It seemed that I had lost my hard earned ground clearance. So I fitted the front levelling spaces. Don't know if this was a good move but time will tell. Anyhow for those of you who are interested I have been taking some measurements as I was going along.

Before Air springs after OME suspension and ARB Bull bar Canopy, RTT and draw system;

FL 775 FR 765
BL 775 BR 780

After Air springs

FL 755 FR 755
BL 810 BR 810 @1BAR
BL 890 BR 890 @ 6 BAR

After front spacers

FL 760 FR 765 BEFORE
FL 805 FR 810 AFTER

I don't think we realise how heavy all the additions add up to. Also finally plucked up enough courage and sent the wife to get the snorkel fitted. No ways was I going to watch them drill that big hole into my pride and joy.

For those of you who have the front levelling spacers fitted does the above measurements not seem too much (805 and 810mm) I am sure I read something that mentioned a max of 780mm but I can not find where I read it. Starting to look at the rock sliders which will be next.
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Barry, what seize spacers did you fit in front?

Return to “Late 2005 - 2016 Hilux (Gen 6 aka Vigo-shape)”