4y Carburetor blues

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
johangr
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Durbanville
Vehicle: '87 Hilux

4y Carburetor blues

Post by johangr »

Hi guru's,

Wonder if someone can give me some info.

I have an '87 Hilux 2.2, and am wondering what carburetor is fitted to this baby? All I can see on the carb is a small "TOYOTA' sign, and on the baseplate "904ZL'. I have a suspision that it could be a Nikki card, but I am not sure. My Hilux is mis-firing. I have replaced / checked the point, plugs, HT leads, but the problem persists. I have taken off the carb, as I realised that the second butterfly NEVER opens. thus not giving me full performance. After removal of the diaphram of the second "throat", I could see that the diaphram was perished and the "reputable" carburetor shop that fixed it, patched it up with silicone, thus rendering it useless.

I would like to buy a new overhaul kit for the carb, but I am not sure what to get.

If anyone can assist I will be very grateful.
Last edited by johangr on Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: 4y Carburetor blues

Post by Mud Dog »

I'm almost sure that it is a Nikki carb ..... either google it or post a pic here. Kits should still be available. Also check all the vacuum lines, vacuum switches / servo's and vacuum take-offs on cab and manifold for leaks. It wouldn't be the first time that I've come across a blank-off that's missing or a perished hose that's leaking.

Here is a vacuum line diagram, just in case you don't have one.
4Y VACUUM HOSE iNFO.jpg
4Y VACUUM HOSE iNFO.jpg (56.19 KiB) Viewed 6940 times
Good luck! ;-)
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
johangr
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by johangr »

Struggling to add the pictures here. Can I mail you?
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other - body thoroughly used up and totally worn out, screaming: WOO HOO! What a ride!"
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Post by Mr_B »

The carb is either an Aisan or Nikki, both were OEM to Toyota... the guys in the know seem to prefer the Aisan one. I had a Nikki on my 4Y before doing the EFi conversion, it gave me hassles with overfuelling. Pirate carb kits are available, I believe there is a place in Stikland that sells them, but they don't work 100% The acceleration pump never works properly with the pirate kit! Toyota also sell a carb kit, it's expensive, 1.5K or so, but it works right! Overhauling/recon'ning these carbs is also not easy, often a recon'd carb has issues between the first and second stage and has flat spots at lower RPM. If I were you I'd speak to Danie, of Carb Service Centre, he is excellent with these carbs, has years of experience and is a SFA Toyota owner himself... I think they're in Paarden Island... Allan Venter(AEW Auto) also uses him for carb recons... with silicone having been used on the previous repairs, the carb needs to be acid bathed to clean out all the fuel and air channels!

Danie: 021 511 6838

Mr B
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

johangr wrote:Struggling to add the pictures here. Can I mail you?
Yes ..... andy@hilux4x4.co.za

;-)

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
kfxnando
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Germiston
Vehicle: Ford V6 3.4 Courrier soon to be powered by Yamaha!! Jeep GC 4.7 V8, Aygo broken traded for a Kia Picanto.2ex, 2012 Jeep GC 5.7 V8 Ovrrland

Post by kfxnando »

for Carb spares have found Carburator City in JHB have a big variety of stock and are helpful
and do mail orders!! or at least used to!!

if you would like their numbers let me know and will find it for you!!

then for the spanner in the spokes!!

why not fit a Webber???

have been running Webbers for around 15 years, and the only issue that I ever had was the base gaskets that go every 6 or 7 years!! at minor cost!

:beach:
good luck!!
http://www.youtube.com/user/kfxnando" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://community.webshots.com/user/kfxnando" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://s538.photobucket.com/albums/ff343/kfxnando/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Johan .... you need to resize the pics first (max 800 x 600 pixels). Have a look here viewtopic.php?f=21&t=10068" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Meantime here are the pics u sent. It is a Nikki carb, or a copy. If it's a genuine Nikki the name will be on the right hand side of the float chamber as you face the sight glass.

Carb Side1.jpg
Carb side2.jpg
Carb side3.jpg
Carb top.jpg
Plunger.jpg

johangr
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by johangr »

Hi all,

Anyone can tell me what the "normal" settings should be on the carb?

Thanks
Johan
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other - body thoroughly used up and totally worn out, screaming: WOO HOO! What a ride!"
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Not much to set. Start with the float level. This must be as close to the centre of the sight glass when the carb stands level. Make sue that it is jetted for the coast (in your case) .... not sure of the jet sizes anymore, but I'm sure you can google it. There is an adjustable air screw, but it only really affects the idle .... turn it in and then 1½ turns out for a start. You can tweak that when the motor is running and hot. Other mixture settings are non-adjustable. There is an idle setting on the throttle butterfly assembly. As I said, check all vacuum connections / blank off's. Also check that the vacuum advance on the dizzy works. Timing should be set at about 8 / 9 deg BTDC and up to 12 deg BTDC if you have a Brospeed branch ... especially if there is a warm cam fitted. ;-)

johangr
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by johangr »

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

The air-screw was set by Danie at Carb repair centre, and I ahve turned it in more than 7 turns, and was still not in totally. I will start with 1 1/2 turns, and see what happens.

It seems that all the vacuum connections are fine. Can one get these readily available, then I will replace all of them in any way? Timing is currently set at 8 deg and she pulls ok, except that the second stage never opens. Perhaps this is a blessing in disguise, seeing that theoretically, she should be lighter on fuel?

J
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

No need to replace the vacuum lines if they aren't perished. Otherwise it seems that you almost have all the bases covered .... just that 2nd stage. Can't recall how it operates .... will give it some thought. :think:

Return to “The Workshop”