Attention all moderators

If you would like to discuss the functionality of this web site or have any suggestions, please out it here.
NUGGET
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: IFS 2.7 DC 4x4

Attention all moderators

Post by NUGGET »

Hi guys

Just something small that I ask.

If for some reason you decide to delete a members post, please notify them and the reason why. I posted a joke under humor on Monday the 13th, only to have it deleted within a few minutes. There was nothing vulgar or sexist in the joke, just a typical sarcastic South African joke.

The least one can do is send a PM with a reason why

Thanks for listening to my concern
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Re: Attention all moderators

Post by OOOOMS »

Hi Andrew, I not sure if I even saw your joke, you sure it was posted?
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Hi Andrew, I don't know the reason for the deletion, but I take cognisance of what you've said.

Bear in mind that the mods are all normal working people, and although some of us have more opportunity than others to visit here during the day, we are not always available or able to discuss the sensitivity of a post between us before taking an action. An individual mod will therefore take it upon himself when he perceives a post to possibly be offensive to other members for whatever reason, and sometimes it could be a borderline call. I think that we are quite liberal by comparison to many other forums, but we still don't want to engage a 'slippery slope' into moral decay while trying to keep an enjoyable balance for all.

In further recognition of your 'complaint', bear in mind that we spend a fair amount of time behind the scenes discussing issues, fixing bugs, moving topics to the appropriate forums, editing posts, processing new member applications etc., and we also like to have some interaction time on the forum itself. It's for this reason that we generally don't enter into discussion or debate for any corrective action taken.

I'm not taking a defensive stand here, just laying bare the flip-side of the coin. Not knowing the details of this incident, all I can say is, try seeing it from both sides and don't take it personally (which I can assure you that it is not). ;-)

Thanks for raising the issue and giving us the opportunity to respond with our views and to address your concern ... undoubtedly there will be more points of view and opinions expressed here in short due course. :thumbup:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

Exactly as Andy said.

But I can also not recall seeing this joke either?

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Post by CasKru »

It was me... the joke was better than mine so I didn't want competition :twisted:

The reason for deleting it, this I cannot state on the open forum.
To God be the glory
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

On the one hand I think Andrew had a valid point, if we let people know why a post has been deleted or quarenti... (can't spell that big word) then at least they know next time what not to post, or at least they know where the border line is.

But on the other hand, sometimes there are so many (especially) jokes that get quarantined that the mods will spend the hole day sending dear Johnny PMs. Most of the people who post something that has to be removed knows exactly that it will be removed and they know they might not post it, but they try and push the limits or see how long it takes for us to spot it.

So yes, it is good manners to let somebody know why it was removed but eish, it will take a lot of time.
Perhaps it is best just to say that if something has been removed your are free to ask why

The rules are simple, nothing X-Rated, no dirty jokes, no racist jokes and political jokes are only permitted if it involves Malema and do not contravene one of the first rules.

Andrew, the true South African jokes is a bit of a difficult one. We know when a dirty joke is dirty, but in South Africa the whole racist issue became so part of our lives. Sometimes you get a joke that is not really racist it only sketch a true South African picture and most people will just laugh at it. Unfortunately you do get people in South Africa who loves to keep the past alive and who wants to see racism in anything, even where it is not. It is because of that we are careful for anything closely related to racism or typical South African, even if it is a clean joke.
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
arnize2
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Wellington
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4X4

Post by arnize2 »

Reading this, one again becomes aware of how difficult it is to satisfy everybody and what a good job our moderators are doing. That said, I feel very strong that it would be just plain good manners to PM a person with a short reason why a post was edited or deleted. I do not think there should be any discussion about the reason, only a notification.
IMHO
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Post by Mr_B »

If you hang around on the forum long enough, you know what's permissable and what's not... but yes sometimes I try slip something through, which of course gets silently deleted... I can live with this!
cheetah
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Vehicle: 1994 Hilux d/c 2.2

Post by cheetah »

I Know it is difficult for the moderators to check all this post and information on the open Family Hilux Forum. :eh:
They using and spending there free time on this forum, so do all of us, because we all love our hiluxes and this forum. :|
Political, racist religion jokes, on any open family forum and even involving Malema and others :arrow: is not allowed, there is always somebody watching you. :twisted:
If your post is deleted, the moderators can just send pm, with reason and written warning before you will be removed from this Forum. :idea: :bye:
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

The rules are simple, nothing X-Rated, no dirty jokes, no racist jokes and political jokes are only permitted if they involve Malema and do not contravene one of the first rules.
That's it in a nutshell. Contravening one of those rules should not even warrant an explanation. Informing the originator as to why his/her post has been deleted usually opens yourself to negotiation. This is not possible, the post was deleted because it contravened forum rules therefore no negotiation is applicable. None of us have time to enter into a discussion over this sort of thing and I think it is only fair to expect that one's post might be deleted without any form of warning should the content fall in one of the above categories.

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

ThysdJ
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Post by ThysdJ »

Family_Dog wrote:
The rules are simple, nothing X-Rated, no dirty jokes, no racist jokes and political jokes are only permitted if they involve Malema and do not contravene one of the first rules.
That's it in a nutshell. Contravening one of those rules should not even warrant an explanation. Informing the originator as to why his/her post has been deleted usually opens yourself to negotiation. This is not possible, the post was deleted because it contravened forum rules therefore no negotiation is applicable. None of us have time to enter into a discussion over this sort of thing and I think it is only fair to expect that one's post might be deleted without any form of warning should the content fall in one of the above categories.

-F_D
Amen!!
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
Sebata
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Cosmo City
Vehicle: '06 Hilux 4.0l V6 auto 4x4, Iron-Man front bumper, Ali3n Rock-sliders, Old man Suspention, Snokel, 31" Pireli Scorpion Muds
Club VHF Licence: X125

Post by Sebata »

can a deleted joke really cause such a debate,? we all took cognisant of rule when we joined the forum & needed to adhere to, as Andy stated "Bear in mind that the mods are all normal working people", we cant really falter the Mods on this one as they have a lot on thier plate & we need to be on thier side not on the other side of the fence. the joke now is on the deleted JOKE :twisted: the issue can rest & we let him post another joke that is above board :twisted:

as much as its common courtecy to infom the scriber BUT i still advocate that we need to make the mods roles as painles as possible & not require an explanation to deletion & just take it with a pinch of salt & lemon :tease:
Tau Sello
Sebata, Lion enjoys hunting with Hynas...
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy

Post by ChrisF »

Gents THANKS for running a "clean show".
NUGGET
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Vehicle: IFS 2.7 DC 4x4

Post by NUGGET »

Cassie thanks for the reply.

Eric I understand a moderator does not have huge amount of time to discuss and negotiate with members why a post was deleted. Just a short reply eg, Sorry post deleted. Borderline comment.

Every member and reader here is different, we all view subjects from different angles. To me my joke was harmless, but to another it might be a little upsetting. By giving a short reply the member will understand why his post was deleted and if a discussion should begin, it should be done in private via email.

I for one would not have persued the matter had I been notified why it was deleted.

Right life can now go on, we can prepare for an awesome weekend of rugby, and I think every south african rugby supporter will be screaming for the Brumbies on Sat.

I have posted a new joke and the only person/group it might offend is a criminal

CASE CLOSED. :cooldude:
CasKru

Post by CasKru »

NUGGET wrote:Cassie thanks for the reply.

Eric I understand a moderator does not have huge amount of time to discuss and negotiate with members why a post was deleted. Just a short reply eg, Sorry post deleted. Borderline comment.

Every member and reader here is different, we all view subjects from different angles. To me my joke was harmless, but to another it might be a little upsetting. By giving a short reply the member will understand why his post was deleted and if a discussion should begin, it should be done in private via email.

I for one would not have persued the matter had I been notified why it was deleted.

Right life can now go on, we can prepare for an awesome weekend of rugby, and I think every south african rugby supporter will be screaming for the Brumbies on Sat.

I have posted a new joke and the only person/group it might offend is a criminal

CASE CLOSED. :cooldude:
Where did you post it? Don't see it or am I going blind?
To God be the glory
CasKru

Post by CasKru »

Found it
To God be the glory
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Post by Mr_B »

Return to “Web Related Discussions and Suggestions”