Carpets

Here we discuss Hiluxes in general. Your view of the Hilux. For other general discussions please see "open Discussions" under the "Around the Campfire" heading.
Tristan
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Kidds Beach
Vehicle: 97 Hilux D/C 2.4l 4x4

Carpets

Post by Tristan »

I personally think its a bad idea to have carpets inside a 4x4.
Ive always liked the idea of rubber instead of carpets like inside the cruiser.

Has anyone removed the carpets from their Lux and replaced it with something similar?
I had the crazy idea of maybe trying to get a Rhino lining done inside my cab, anyone know if this is possible? :roll: :roll: :roll:
ImageImageImage
Scooter
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: JHB
Vehicle: '94 Raider, '05 Vigo 4.0 v6

Re: Carpets

Post by Scooter »

AFAIK rhino lining and the like would be fine as it is generally sprayed on. You can also get virtually the same stuff in paint tins from most hardwares these days and then you just paint it on, only problem with that is you get variations on thickness.

The other problem would be any wiring harnesses running along the floor to the back of the cab. If you spray over them and one gets a break in the wire, then you would have to cut your lining. Might be worth laying wires in conduit or something on top of the lining.
"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realise that what you heard is not what I meant."
Toybox
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Hilex
Club VHF Licence: X100

Post by Toybox »

i have a mate who did exactly that. took out all the carpetting and got it rubberized. he had a softer stick-on type done. apparantly the guys heat the rubber stuff and then it glues itself on. not too sure how durable it is compared to the spray on type.

he ran the cabling inside some of that crinkle covering AFAIK. reckons its the best mod he's ever done.
MADALLA
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Land Cruiser

Post by MADALLA »

I've used rubber insertion (1.6-mm & 3-mm thickness) in both my Hiluxes for exactly the reasons mentioned above. It is quite time consuming and requires patience if you want to do it properly. The ones in my KZ is ± 6 years old and still looks like new. IMHO definately worthwhile.

PS - I kept the original carpeting inside but removed all seating, consoles and the like, cut holes for the bolting & other fixtures and then re-installed everything on top of the insertion sheeting - works like a charm!!!
Tristan
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Tristan »

:wink: Thanks for all the great ideas.

Madalla I am however curious.
If you have put a rubber insert on top of the carpets and say you do some rather deep wading and water enters the cab, wouldn't you then have to remove it all for the carpets to dry?

Jonothan
Do you know what your friend did for the area around the gear leavers? This the only spot were I see there could be some sort of problem.
ImageImageImage
Maniac
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Durbanville
Vehicle: 1993 Hilux SFADC
Club VHF Licence: X25

Post by Maniac »

Tristan, the booths around the gearlevers are clamped down with a plate and a lot of screws (cant remember how many).
When I bought my lux, the gearlock that was installed by the previous (Joburg) owner had eaten through the stock booth. I got a replacement booth for R39 from Midas, and no it does not look the same as the stealers one, but it fits extremely tight over the gearlever, and bolts down in the same way. I reckon thats about the last place water would come in if the booths are in good nick.

I have waded up to the top of the stripes on the doors, and the only water that came into the cab was through a missing plug on the floor of the cab. This and all the others in the cab has now been sealed with that sticky tar / bitumen tape that you would use on the roof of a house.

The rubber around my front window leaks like crazy when it rains, so thats more of a corcern to me.

BTW, congrats on the newly acquired vehicle, and rest assured, you will have many hours of fun with it. (Nice bullbar :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: )
93 D/C Hilux Not 4Y, 33" Bighorns, 29 MHz, OME 3" Lift
No Ditch Too Deep, No Hill Too High!!!
MADALLA
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Land Cruiser

Post by MADALLA »

Tristan - yes you're quite right about the carpeting but : my KZ is 4×2 so I dont wade with it - in my 94D/C 4×4 I did the same but with the carpets removed !
Tristan
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Tristan »

8) Hi manie
Thanks for that info.

Do you still have the gear lock in your vehicle?
Mine had one installed also by previous Joburg owner but the actual lock part is missing so its pretty useless :|
All I have now is a large piece of metal and plastic in the way, so Im thinking maybe I should cut it off at the base with an angle grinder. What you think??
ImageImageImage
Toybox
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Hilex
Club VHF Licence: X100

Post by Toybox »

not to sure about the area around the gearlevers. i'll be going to visit him on his wildsplaas this weekend and will take some photo's....
Scooter
Town: JHB
Vehicle: '94 Raider, '05 Vigo 4.0 v6

Post by Scooter »

Tristan wrote:8) All I have now is a large piece of metal and plastic in the way, so Im thinking maybe I should cut it off at the base with an angle grinder. What you think??
Gear locks are held in with plough or fish plate bolts (the ones with a round head that cant be removed) and a nut on the other end that is like a sealed bearing so you cant turn them with a spanner. I would grind off the head of the bolts and take the whole bracket out and then plug the holes with grommets.

My2cW
"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realise that what you heard is not what I meant."

Return to “General Hilux Discussions”