SFA Hilux a Good Overlander?

Discuss anything here as long as it is clean. Having a hard time with your Skoonma, tell us about it here, or discuss the Rugby. Whatever you feel like talking about.
Swys14
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Prado 3.4L V6 GX

SFA Hilux a Good Overlander?

Post by Swys14 »

Hi Guys

I am not very active on the hilux 4x4 forum but I reckon it's the best place to ask this question (s).

I want to purchase a couple of SFA Hiluxes, sort them out mech wise & kit them out for overlanding....and then rent them out.

I reckon the SFA Luxes are robust, reliable & maintainable 4x4 vehicles...maybe not the most comfortable overlanders but I reckon with nice big tyres and full-OME that will not be an issue. I reckon you can buy one, sort it out & kit it out for under 150k.

Am I mad to go with the SFA's? Why would you guys not choose them? Which engine to go with? 2.2/2.4 or the 2.8D?

Do they have PS and AC?

Guys, feel free to give your opinions, you can make the discussion very broad if you like.
Borntofish
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: Hilux 86

Re: SFA Hilux a Good Overlander?

Post by Borntofish »

I do not think an old SFA will be a good rental option. They have become foremost a labour of love for most of the people who own one, some have two - bastards.

Things that you must consider is for instance the ride comfort, and I am not talking just suspension, worn out seats etc....

Then we have the brakes.....that was a factory option when they sold them and most people seem not to have had the money to pay for this option... :evil:

so my vote is no
JohanM
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Meyerton
Vehicle: Prado 120 4.0 V6
Club VHF Licence: HC126

Post by JohanM »

Francois, ek gaan sommer so in jou vra reply om dit maklik te maak vir jou.

I reckon the SFA Luxes are robust, reliable & maintainable 4x4 vehicles...maybe not the most comfortable overlanders but I reckon with nice big tyres and full-OME that will not be an issue. I reckon you can buy one, sort it out & kit it out for under 150k. - Jy kan dit regkry en baie SFA's is tekoop al vir 80 - 100K met baie kit alreeds op. So dit wat jy wil doen is haalbaar. Onthou net hulle is 2 seater vehicles. die agterste seat is vir klere en kameras en daa dinge. Of miskien klein kinders maar nie ouer as 12 nie. SFA is idealy suited to 2 people overlanding.

Am I mad to go with the SFA's? Why would you guys not choose them? Which engine to go with? 2.2/2.4 or the 2.8D? 2.8D is baie skaars om te kry. 2.4 & 2.2 is beide maar dors en met volgelaaide kit en roofracks kan jy maar 5km/l average verwag. Baie goeie enjins en hulle is rock solid en standaard die ideal enjin omdat hulle altyd reg is. Onthou net n SFA se Payload is net 500KG. Dit is min so jy moet baie min kit opsit om te verseker dat hulle nie vere breek agv overloading nie. Ook moet jy so min as moontlik opi dak sit sodat hulle nie te top heavy is nie. Onthou foreigners weet nie van stability op grond paaie nie.

Do they have PS and AC? All double cabs raider models had it standard. Aircon is effective but when compared to new ones they are not that cold at all.
Johan Marais
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Hi Francious, not a bad idea :thumbup:

There are some pro's and cons you will have to look at :wink2:

Pro's: as you mentioned easy to maintain, cheap....and easy to repair :thumbup:

but that is imo where it ends..... :blackeye:

Con's: uncomfortable, heavy on fuel.

Having just returned from Zim we bumped into many foreign travellers. All driving 'new' generation vehicles, either D4D's, Nissan's or LR's.

One guy I spoke to commented 'This vehicle has under 10 000km's' he sounded really impressed about that fact that the vehicle had low milage :wink2: So this I have heard a number of times so I would suggest doing some research around the idea of renting out older vehicles :thumbup:

Then again a tourist does not want to spend his time along the road doing roadside repairs :naah:
KZNSFA4Y
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Hilton
Vehicle: 92 Hilux D/C 2.2 4x4

Post by KZNSFA4Y »

I think once you add the cost of the rental plus the cost of fuel in a SFA it will cost way too much as an option to hire out. Especially if it is laden and running AC. I could see the consumption dipping below 5km to the litre. But maybe people have money to burn these days. Comfort wise I will be the first to admit they are sorely lacking, not much power, bumpy, noisy, hot and a seating position that takes some getting used to. These vehicles I think are strictly for those who love them. When I drive my parents Isuzu it feels like it's floating on air. Maybe Isuzu would be a better option? More comfortable and less thirsty. The SFA will make for a more "authentic" African experience but then again I think that a Landy or Land Cruiser would take first prize there.
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Cruiser maybe, but the cost of upkeep on a Landy will be way too high.

As I see it, the SFA is only a tough call IRO comfort and load capacity. The load capacity can be sorted with the suspension upgrade and application made for a higher load rating .... ride comfort can be improved to the point where it's no longer a deal breaker, and once loaded they ride a lot smoother as well.

The client pays the fuel, so that's not too much of an issue. As stated, reliable and cheaper to maintain (the more gadgetry / electronics there are, the more there is that can go wrong).

Being robust is a definite plus ... people don't always treat rentals with respect, so one should ideally have something that can take a beating and carry on with a smile ... the SFA stands out here.

If the venture fails and you have to try recover your outlay, I think you stand a better chance with the SFA.

:think: :think: :think:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Swys14

Post by Swys14 »

Hi Guys

Dankie Manne vir die GREAT replies...eerlik ens.

Ek like dit! Dit gee my 'n goeie idee en ek sal die gedagrte moet her-oorweeg. 4x4 en toer is my passie en liefde en ek wil dit doen vir 'n lewe en deel met ander mense...

Watse Toyota sal 'n goeie 4x4 Hire Voertuig maak reken julle? Die nuwe generasie 2.5 D4D Hilux d/c 4x4 miskien? Dit sal my startup koste aansienlik opstoot maar sal meer peace of mind gee en is BAIE meer ekonomies reken ek.

Weereens Thanks manne

ps. ekt nogals n sagte plekkie vir daai SFA's
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Francious, kyk ook na die 2.7i 1999 - 2002 reeks, hulle is redelik gemaklik, baie betroubaar en is redelig geprys. Daar is ook oor die algemeen parte beskikbaar in Suider Afrika en redelik goedloop om te onderhou.

Bly weg van die KZ.....jammer Thabo :oops:
Swys14

Post by Swys14 »

Mark ek het al 2 trips van altesaam so 3 weke deur nam gedoen in die 2.7 SRX d/c 4x4...7 - 8km/L (wat relatief OK is)...briljante voertuig...briljante engine...hulle is net nogals skaars en redelik duur as hy in goeie toestand is...maar dit is n opsie en n goeie een. Ek het destyds een gesoek vir myself maar kon nie n netjiese een kry nie toe settle ek op die Prado 90 (wat my elke dag impress) vir daai geld. Die 2.7 is verseker ook n opsie. KZTE sal my nie sommer sien nie...hoor te veel stories. Mens soek iets wat "shots" kan vat.
Johan Kriel
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Okahandja
Vehicle: 2.5 SC 4x4

Post by Johan Kriel »

Die 4x4 verhuuring maatskapye hier koop maar die 2.5 d4d DC, nie te vinnig vir die Europiers wat nie op grondpad kan bestuur nie, en betroubaar.
Johan Kriel

Legend 50
cheetah
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 1994 Hilux d/c 2.2

Post by cheetah »

Francois die 2,5 D4D e/c en d/c, is baie betroubaar, lig op diesel.
Uitstekend vir overland. :thumbup:
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Velddrif
Vehicle: Triton 3.5l V6
Club VHF Licence: HC107

Post by george »

Ek dink dat gaan ook afhang van jou mark. Ek dink nie afgetreede hollanders/duitsers/chinese gaan like as hulle valstande los skud op 'n grond pad nie :twisted: maar as dit serious overlanders is wat in afgelee plekke gaan is 'n SFA tops.
"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.-Saint Augustine"
Swys14

Post by Swys14 »

So baie dinge om in ag te neem.

1) Betroubaarheid
2) Brandstof Verbruik
3) "Verhuurbaarheid" vd voertuig...m.a.w...vraag na die betrokke voertuig.
4) Onderhoud en onderhoubaarheid
5) Gerief / Gemaklikheid (moet 4 mense met gemak kan neem)
6) 4x4 Vermoens
7) Sy engine moet shots kan vat, verskillende bestuurs style - Dit gaan immers n huur motor wees.
8) Laai vermoens
9) Uitkitbaarheid
10) Meganies maklik en goedkoop (relatief) om te onderhou...geen 4x4 is rerig goedkoop (soos n citi golf bv.) om te onderhou nie...
11) ek soek n engine wat op 200 000km nog baie lewe het
12) Vinnig herstelbaar, parte vrylik beskikbaar in donker afrika...tyd is geld hier.

Voel vry as julle nog punte wil byvoeg.

Baie mense sal gaan vir die 110 Defender...maar ek is nie meganies genoeg om 'n Land Rover te besit nie...as julle weet wat ek bedoel. Die (1999-2001) 2.7 d/c 4x4 dink ek is so ver my voorloper vir 'n eerste voertuig. Ek het al self n hele paar weke in Nam in so 'n SRX spandeer en het dit baie geniet. Met meer geld in die bank kan n man begin kyk na die nuwer 2.5 d4d bakkies. Ek reken kan kan so 'n bakkie, unkitted vir 80k optel...en dan deeglik uitkit vir overlanding. Dink julle 'n man sal onder R150k totaal kan bly?
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Die km's is gewoonlik hoog op die 2.7i, maar hulle skrik nie sommer nie....die motor geen nie sommer probleme nie so lank dit gereeld gediens word ens.

Om een op te tel met lae km's raak hulle maar duur onder 150 000km kyk jy seker na so R100k.

Het jy al gesien wat die ouens noem 'uitkit'?

Skattings nuut:
1 x RRT - R8000
Yskas - R8000
Duel Battery system met battery - R2500
x2 Stoele - R400
x1 Tafel - R800
x1 Gas bottel - R350
Cutlery - R500
Hi-Lift - R1000
Roof Rack - R4500
Jerrycan en bracket - R900
Graaf - R200

Dit is die wat die huur maatskappye omtrent insit....

Return to “Open Discussion”