rear diff

Discuss modifications on your late 1998 to 2005 IFS Hilux here.
T Giles
Town: Letterkenny
Vehicle: Toyota hilux

rear diff

Post by T Giles »

hi all,
T Giles here. I am a new member.
I am on my 2nd Toyota hilux ,had a 2000 single cab 4 the last 3years now i have a 2002 hilux crew cab 2.5 D4D, I was very happy with my 2000 hilux and even happier with my 2002 hilux. but have a prob my rear diff will not lock i can hear the moter turn when i push the diff lock button but dose not lock. any help would b appreciated , T Giles
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: rear diff

Post by Mud Dog »

Did this problem just start or has it been like that since you bought the vehicle? .... or maybe after work was done on the diff?

I ask because if you can hear the motor then you don't have an electrical problem ... it will be mechanical. Here I see one of two probabilities .... if it's just started then it's possible that the worm gear is stripped, .... if it's always been like that since you had it or after someone has worked on it, then it's possibly the above by co-incidence or the actuator is not engaging the diff lock 'fork' in the diff.

Either way, you would have to disconnect and remove the actuator motor, clean and inspect it. Sometimes the problem is nothing more than an accumulation of muck inside.

Best of luck that it's nothing serious. ;-)
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!

Return to “Late 1998 to 2005 (Gen 5 aka IFS Hilux)”