Engine vir SFA

Post questions, advice and pictures of Engine conversions here
Boerseun
Town: Mussina
Vehicle: 1990 toyota hilux D/C 4x4,7mge,31"coopers

Engine vir SFA

Post by Boerseun »

Hi ouens eks opsoek na so biekie raad oor n engine vir my SFA want my 7mge is besig om sy gat stadig maar seker te sien die vorige uienaar was maar n ou wat nie om gee vir sy karre nie so eks opsoek na n ane engine vir my bakkie ek kyk na 3y of die 4y maar will by toyota engins bly.

Ek kan n toyota 3y feul injection kry maar soek so biekie in ligting oor die engine kan enige iemand my help asb? :beg:

Ek kyk na beter brandstoff verbruik iets wat my nie langs die pad sal los nie want die 7mge gee my so tussen 3 en 4.5km/l en hy hou glad nie van water nie so eks nou moeg vir 7mge miskien as ek een dag groot is sal ek weer ene kry. :oops:
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Re: Engine vir SFA

Post by Mr_B »

Hi Mitchell,

Firstly the 7MGE is an excellent engine, decent fuel consumption with enough power to pull a heavy SFA Hilux around... personally I think you are going to get gatvol of a 3Y(2L, 62kw) or 4Y(2.2L, 68kw)... after having a 130kw+ of the 7M... also a 4Y will give you about the same consumption as a properly tuned 7M... about 6.5km/l on average... if I were you I would probably fit another 7M as your vehicle is already mod'd to fit it, and then rather spend the extra's on fitting an original Toyota ECU and required sensors... or a decent latest generation aftermarket ECU, like a Spitronics Titan... what ECU is the engine being controlled by at the moment?

Mr B
Boerseun

Post by Boerseun »

It has the original toyota ecu with the air flow meter and im runing the STD 2.2 gearbox and diffs so the rpm is very high on this engine what is the averige feul consumption on these 7mge engins?

I was also thinking of installing the newer 2jz N/A engine i can get one for R9200 or just get an imported 7mge for R4200.
Bulletjie-3
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Centurion
Vehicle: Hilux Raider SFA met 7M-GE engine

Post by Bulletjie-3 »

Thank you thank you Mr B
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Mr_B »

Mitchell,

There's 2 guys on the forum that will give their experienced opinion shortly... Mark(Gunta) is running a newly overhauled 7MGE, with the original ECU and airflow meter, etc... he is getting 7km/l+(IIRC)... so his input will be valuable. Then there's Jaco(Spartan)... he is running the newer 2JZ with a GoTech ECU... he is getting 9km/l+(IIRC)... VVTi may have something to do with this better consumption... if I had the bucks and someone knowledgable, experienced and trustworthy to assist or do the fitment... I definitely go for the 2JZ... remember a Ching Chong 4Y with all the ancillaries(starter motor, alternator, etc...) with set you back around 8K, again that's excluding fitment and mods...

The 2JZ is a really good motor, it would be a major bonus if you could find one with complete ECU and wiring harness... not sure if this is possible...

Mr B
Agteros
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota FJ Cruiser

Post by Agteros »

Hi Mr B and others

I am also (maybe) considering some engine upgrade but having read through quite a bit of info on this forum came tot he conclusion that there is no clear-cut answer on what to replace your 4Y with and who to contract to do it. Is it possible to get a list of trustworthy suppliers which forum members can recommend?

I have been "warm" and "cold" on this issue for a couple of years now and I realise that sooner or later I will have to make the decision - either do the conversion (or remain with the 4Y) and/or acquire something like the new V6 Land Cruiser Pick-up mainly to use as an overlanding vehicle since the "standard" 4Y without air-con is becoming a bit "uncomfortable" for doing long distances in short periods of time.

Further, in my particular instance I need to justify whether it is worth spending 60K+ on an old 1986 vehicle (albeit it is in a very good condition)?

To throw another spanner in the works - I am very sentimental about old Agteros my vehicle so getting rid of her will be very hard for me!

I also have a Fortuner 4x4 V6 but it is not the ideal hunting car and to use it through the thorns and bush will make me cry :cry: I am using this one as my "platkar".

Your opinions are valued.
2020 FJ Cruiser
1986 Hilux DC 4x4. Sold to the Boss :cooldude:
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Mr_B »

Hugo... you got a 4L V6 for everyday... you love your SFA... IMHO... keep the SFA as is... if you want a little more power and better throttle response, I would honestly suggest fuel injection. I did my conversion over 2 years ago and everything is still running 100%... worth every cent! I had assistance from Bennie Hurter, he is an absolute perfectionist and in my opnion his EFi setup is bullet proof! It is pretty easy to DIY, and in so doing you have a very good understanding of what is potting and can easily diagnose any fault, should any occur!

Other than that, fit an aircon unit and SWAMBO too will be happy with the SFA!

Mr B
Agteros
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Vehicle: Toyota FJ Cruiser

Post by Agteros »

Thanks Mr B

Do you know if Bennie is still doing the conversion? Have not seen him posting lately on the forum. Do you perhaps have some contact details of him?

Thanks in advance!
2020 FJ Cruiser
1986 Hilux DC 4x4. Sold to the Boss :cooldude:
kfxnando
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Germiston
Vehicle: Ford V6 3.4 Courrier soon to be powered by Yamaha!! Jeep GC 4.7 V8, Aygo broken traded for a Kia Picanto.2ex, 2012 Jeep GC 5.7 V8 Ovrrland

Post by kfxnando »

Agteros wrote:Hi Mr B and others

I am also (maybe) considering some engine upgrade but having read through quite a bit of info on this forum came tot he conclusion that there is no clear-cut answer on what to replace your 4Y with and who to contract to do it. Is it possible to get a list of trustworthy suppliers which forum members can recommend?

I have been "warm" and "cold" on this issue for a couple of years now and I realise that sooner or later I will have to make the decision - either do the conversion (or remain with the 4Y) and/or acquire something like the new V6 Land Cruiser Pick-up mainly to use as an overlanding vehicle since the "standard" 4Y without air-con is becoming a bit "uncomfortable" for doing long distances in short periods of time.

Further, in my particular instance I need to justify whether it is worth spending 60K+ on an old 1986 vehicle (albeit it is in a very good condition)?

To throw another spanner in the works - I am very sentimental about old Agteros my vehicle so getting rid of her will be very hard for me!

I also have a Fortuner 4x4 V6 but it is not the ideal hunting car and to use it through the thorns and bush will make me cry :cry: I am using this one as my "platkar".

Your opinions are valued.
look at it this way!!
what will a new Hilux cost!!
400k????

so spending 60k on doing the conversion you would end up with a vehicle that you know what you have !!

so R45 000 value of your Hilux + R60 000 for the conversion = R110 000
can you buy a new one for that!!
and you will enjoy it more then the new one!!

as this will now be as per you dreams!!

conversion 60k yes!!
doing it self way way way less!!

a well know builder (known on here) told me man in the street buying every thing 35k!!
self will end up doing it for less, however have scored many bargains and free bees and called favors along the way!!

happy choices!! :beach:
http://www.youtube.com/user/kfxnando" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://community.webshots.com/user/kfxnando" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://s538.photobucket.com/albums/ff343/kfxnando/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Mr_B »

Hugo,

Bennie no longer does the whole conversion himself, but does supply some critical parts and assistance to Louis of 4x4 MegaWorld Menlyn Park. Louis has now taken over and does an excellent job, with excellent service. He is on the forum as well, username '4x4megaworldpta'... give him a call!

Mr B
Gunta
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: 1996 80 series Land Cruiser VX 4500 EFI UK Import. Long range tank, Iron man suspension, ARB Bullbar, Front and rear diff locks, 33" BFG muds, Snorkel and attitude.

Post by Gunta »

Mitchell, the best advice I can give you is to keep that 7mge. The cost of changing your management system and bell housing and all the other bits is going to cost you. The 7 mge is bullet proof if yo understand and do it properly. I have had mine in for 7 years now and I rebuilt it last year in sept after it had done 300 000km. I am busy building another one for Everdt (Bullitjies) which we should have together over the weekend. The biggest problem with these engines is the head gasket. If you use the correct spares and know how to put it together then there is no reason why you should not get 300 000km plus on your engine and 6.5km/l minimum. I used to get 4.8km/l with the gotech and dictator and it improved drastically with the OEM management system. To rebuild that motor properly will be in the region of 15k plus labour. What is your cooling setup and radiator like?
Worry about the things you can do something about, If you can't don't worry.
Live life to the fullest with no regrets.
Boerseun

Post by Boerseun »

Thanks oom

Im runing a toyota land cruiser radiator had a bmw one in but it was to small but the cruiser radiator work fine with 2 10" fans runing in frunt.there is a stange noise in the motor sounds like bearings or something in the head the 7m sounds like a isuzu any advise on what this could be?
Gunta
Vehicle: 1996 80 series Land Cruiser VX 4500 EFI UK Import. Long range tank, Iron man suspension, ARB Bullbar, Front and rear diff locks, 33" BFG muds, Snorkel and attitude.

Post by Gunta »

It sounds like you have piston slap. My advice would be to buy another engine for around 4k and rebuild it with new pistons, rings, bearings and overhaul the head. The motor that we took out of Everdt's engine was making the same noises as yours and had no power. we bought another one and rebuilt it because you can't rebore those engines to much without having heating problems.
Below is a pic of mine.
Attachments
IMG_4083a.jpg
IMG_0233a.jpg
scout
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: White River
Vehicle: 91 Hilux dc -pro comp , arb bb , winch , 33'' muds

Post by scout »

looking great gunta
what will a setup like this set one back plus minus , if done be expert or workshop?
myself and a friend both have 2.2 4y luxes and are considering doing a 7mge.
I am sure this has been asked a couple of times sorry and again plus minus?
" Yes I know we are lost , but we are making good time "
Kaspaas
Town: Wellington
Vehicle: 1998 Land Cruiser 105series GX

Post by Kaspaas »

Mitchell, ek moet hier 200% saam met Mr B en Mark stem.

Ekt Kaspaas amper nou al twee weke. Ekt 900km met hom gery op 33's en 7.2km/l gekry.
Dis nou ook gesê dat ek nie meer as 120 gery het nie. Hierdie is gekry met die STD ECU.

Jou duur uitgawe is reeds gemaak. Die ekstra's wat die ombouing moontlik is maak, is die duurste gedeelte van n ombouing. Ekt ook my huiswerk gedoen, en met Kaspaas weet ek, as die 7M moet gaan na 300 000km, dan vervang ek hom vir R5000. GEEN ANDER PERSOON MET N OMBOUING KAN DIT Sê NIE!!

Ek wou bitter graag ook n 4y EFI gehad het, nou moet jy die som maak: 62kw @ 6.5km/l @ 120km/h
of 140kw @ 6.5km/l @ 120km/h

Ons het n 7MGE Cressida gehad (van nuut af), wat oor die 300 000km op gekry het. En ek weet hyt gereeld 230km/h gesien oppad Kenhardt toe. :wth:

Maar soos Mark en oom B sê: Die persoon wat daai ECU dokter, moet n Nobel prys kry. Wat as hy reg is, loop hy soos n droom.

Soos my signature getuig. :mrgreen:

My voorstel, dokter eers daai ou 7m, anders vervang hom, en gebruik die orige moela vir petrol geld!!
1998 Toyota land Cruiser 105 series. 4.2 D

"I am human, I make mistakes, and that is okay, I have my own permission."
Borntofish
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Vehicle: Hilux 86

Post by Borntofish »

Jonathan if you do take this bold step to get rid of the 4y, may I have first ops on your power steering components! :beg: :beg:
Ou vale1
Town: Heidelberg
Vehicle: Hilux 2.5 D4D

Post by Ou vale1 »

Worst u can do to a SFA is to stick a bigger motor into it, why? EFI will do the trick on the road, and in low range it is as strong as a mule anyway! The 4Y is such a reliable, easy and cheap motor to maintain and work on, why go for the big stuff? Then u need to drop the suspension with low profiles just to keep it on the road above 140 (anyone driving a SFA above this speed needs Cassie's medication :shock2: ).
JohanM
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Meyerton
Vehicle: Prado 120 4.0 V6
Club VHF Licence: HC126

Post by JohanM »

Ou vale1 wrote:Worst u can do to a SFA is to stick a bigger motor into it, why? EFI will do the trick on the road, and in low range it is as strong as a mule anyway! The 4Y is such a reliable, easy and cheap motor to maintain and work on, why go for the big stuff? Then u need to drop the suspension with low profiles just to keep it on the road above 140 (anyone driving a SFA above this speed needs Cassie's medication :shock2: ).
Koos ek stem heelhartig saam met jou!!! My SFA het ek eenmaal met +/-380kg se vrag agterin getoets kaap toe en terug en het so 7.7km/l gekry en ek het selfs een keer gekyk hoe hard hy kan loop met die vrag in en ek kon sy naald by die laaste syfer kry op die klok. 160 en ja ek raai dit nie aan nie, maar die 4y is lewendig genoeg om 120 te kan handhaaf met n redelike vrag in as hy EFI loop.

Ook as ek toer en vakansie ry, slaan ek nie meer as 110 sommer op die klok aan nie op teer pad nie. Ek ry mos juis sekondere paaie en grond paaie soveel ek kan so dan kan jy nie 120+ ry op sulke paaie nie.
Johan Marais
Ou vale1
Town: Heidelberg
Vehicle: Hilux 2.5 D4D

Post by Ou vale1 »

Johan, daai Lexus het my seats gespoil! Om 'n sprint met die SFA te doen met daai V8 grom was great en daai speedo klim so vinnig dat jy vergeet van alles, en eensklaps besef jy die trok is nie gedesign vir sulke tricks nie, amper soos Koos se Klim sonder brieke :blackeye:
Kaspaas
Town: Wellington
Vehicle: 1998 Land Cruiser 105series GX

Post by Kaspaas »

Koos, die enigste rede hoekom ek sê hy moet hom met n 7M te vervang, is omrede hy reeds in het.
(harde werk is klaar gedoen)

As dit n oorspronklike 4Y was, dan sure, doen die EFI. :thumbup:

My gevoel is net, hy gaan meer geld spandeer om die 7M conversion te reverse na n 4Y toe, as om sy huidige 7M reg te kry.
1998 Toyota land Cruiser 105 series. 4.2 D

"I am human, I make mistakes, and that is okay, I have my own permission."
LouisZ
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux D/C 1996

Post by LouisZ »

Hou die 7M, maak reg waar nodig en kyk liewers dan om die Std Ecu te vervang, klink so of die Ecu nie reg is nie, laat Gunta kyk of hy nie iets snaaks kry op die boks. Ek dink hy het al sy 7M goed leer ken.

Net ter inligting, my Efi kry deesdae so 9.3km/lt by 110km/h
Gunta

Post by Gunta »

scout wrote:looking great gunta
what will a setup like this set one back plus minus , if done be expert or workshop?
myself and a friend both have 2.2 4y luxes and are considering doing a 7mge.
I am sure this has been asked a couple of times sorry and again plus minus?
Jonathan the prices may have gone up a bit but what I can tell you is not to take shortcuts when you do this. I can put this motor together in my sleep and I have been running it since May 2004. I have had varsity fees on this engine and I know all of the remedies to its faults. If you do it properly you wont find a more reliable engine with that power that wont break your gearbox or drive train.
The motors are cheap around R3500 but thats where it ends. You have to take the head off and skim the block with the aluminium timing cover on otherwise the cover lifts the gasket ever so slightly and you get oil in your water. The block and head must be skimmed to a mirror finish not a course cut. Buy a Cometic metal gasket from Leda performance in Cape Town, they will ship it to you for around R1900. Get yourself some ARP stud bolts (R2100) and throw those stretch bolts in the dustbin. Take the head gasket and place it on the head and you will see there is a hole in the block and the gasket for water at the back of no6 piston. Make a mark on the head and have them drill it out into the water jacket. This was an inherrent problem with these motors and caused them to blow a gasket between no5 and 6. The gasket must be put on DRY no copper gasket stuff. The head must be torqued down to 115 nm and then you will have no problems with overheating again . If you get the motor complete with the harness cut off where it enters the firewall, try and get an ecu from Japan Auto they have a store room full of them but you need to go there and take one that looks good and has the plugs behind. I have got wiring diagrams for the ecu but you will need a sparky to trace and reconnect them to the ecu. You will have to buy an airflow meter from toyota (you can still buy them new) for around R3500 and then that motor will run like a dream.

If you still have the 4y motor in you will have to get a bellhousing, if you cant find one you will have to buy a new one from toyota. You use your existing flywheel and clutch assembly but you need to buy the cressida clutch fork otherwise it wont line up to the slace sylinder. You use your 4y engine mountings on the 7m and it bolts in the same place. You need a 3 core radiator and you mount 2 x corsa lite aircon fans in the front and thats your water system sorted. I have a VW bottle in as well but you dont really need it. Other than that if you have any other questions let me know. IMO I would rather spend the extra cash on a 7m rather than doing an efi on the 4y. The cost for power does not add up and the 7m is much better on fuel economy and the torque is massive. I have 80% torque at 1500rpm and max Torque at 2200 rpm which is just where you want it and the 4y will never be able to keep to the speed limit with 33" tyres on without driving in 3rd gear the whole way. The 7m is smoother MUCH quieter and you can leave it in 5th gear up the hills. Do it properly and you wont be sorry.
mark watson
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: gauteng
Vehicle: hilux

Post by mark watson »

mitchell , sorry but i am going to throw a spanner in the works , in the family we have all sorts of sfa hilux and the only one that never lets us down is mine with a lexus in ( check on the main page under lexus conversions that piet petoors put up we are in there ) we have 7mge / 3lv6 (camry ) 5l you name it . the problem with the 7m is it is a very peaky motor you have to give it gas if you want to move whereas the lexus has all the torque you will ever need ( mine has the auto in mated to the transfer case ) every customer with a hilux that we have fitted with a lexus has been happy as a pig in s**t , and its not just hiluxes -navara,pathfinder,musso,landcruiser,mahindra,hyundai,cortina,sprinters,colt,jeep you name it. when i hear the horror stories yes i can understand why people get negative , but my customers are my advertising i dont advertise as even spitronics send stuff to us and we are pretty much booked to end feb. but if you want to come round and see for yourself you are more than welcome. my hilux can make rustenburg from springs loaded with a ton and driving 100 - 110 with 15l of petrol so people must not tell me its not worth it. but check the v12 build in the cruiser.
zepplin
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: Crooza VX 80 EFI
Club VHF Licence: HC 127

Post by zepplin »

mark watson wrote:my hilux can make rustenburg from springs loaded with a ton and driving 100 - 110 with 15l of petrol

:shock2: :shock2: :shock2:

That's almost 14km/l. Should it not read 150l?
Crooza VX 80 efi - fully locked.
mark watson
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by mark watson »

if you want to confirm ill give you his no: but yes 15l to do 200km
Last edited by mark watson on Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
mark watson
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by mark watson »

and you know whats the laugh we been doing it for the last three years so if you want to argue go for it , been there done that
mark watson
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by mark watson »

put a ton on your van and ill drive the *a* out of it and still use less petrol.
zepplin
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: Crooza VX 80 EFI
Club VHF Licence: HC 127

Post by zepplin »

You should enter that Lux in the next Economy Run. :yahoo:
Crooza VX 80 efi - fully locked.
Rebel 4x4
Town: Port Elizabeth
Vehicle: 2020 Toyota Fortuner GD-6 4x4 Auto

Post by Rebel 4x4 »

mark watson wrote:mitchell , sorry but i am going to throw a spanner in the works , in the family we have all sorts of sfa hilux and the only one that never lets us down is mine with a lexus in ( check on the main page under lexus conversions that piet petoors put up we are in there ) we have 7mge / 3lv6 (camry ) 5l you name it . the problem with the 7m is it is a very peaky motor you have to give it gas if you want to move whereas the lexus has all the torque you will ever need ( mine has the auto in mated to the transfer case ) every customer with a hilux that we have fitted with a lexus has been happy as a pig in s**t , and its not just hiluxes -navara,pathfinder,musso,landcruiser,mahindra,hyundai,cortina,sprinters,colt,jeep you name it. when i hear the horror stories yes i can understand why people get negative , but my customers are my advertising i dont advertise as even spitronics send stuff to us and we are pretty much booked to end feb. but if you want to come round and see for yourself you are more than welcome. my hilux can make rustenburg from springs loaded with a ton and driving 100 - 110 with 15l of petrol so people must not tell me its not worth it. but check the v12 build in the cruiser.
How much do you charge for a lexus conversion from a 4y?
Sent from my iPhone
Hi-Hilux
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Tsumeb
Vehicle: 1991 Hilux2.2 ---1987 Hilux D/C Hella 1000, Rancho RS9000XL shocks, Good Year M/TR, Warn Winch, STK bullbar, Extended shacles, Kenwood VHF-SOLD

Post by Hi-Hilux »

zepplin wrote:You should enter that Lux in the next Economy Run. :yahoo:
:lmao: :thumbup:
Is gebed jou spaarwiel of jou stuurwiel?
'Life is a coin. You can spend it anyway you wish, but you can only spend it ONCE'
mark watson
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by mark watson »

have a good laugh , but trust me i am having the last laugh , just had 2 customers come back , nissan hardbody 4x4 10.2km/l towing his boat and a sangyong musso 10.6km/l towing a trailer. but i suppose if you want to drive something like you stole it dont complain about consumption. :tease:
conversion cost 42k all in , rad,exhaust ( stainless ),aircon , dyno the works
LouisZ
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux D/C 1996

Post by LouisZ »

What Radiator do u use? Do remplace crank, etc seals with the mod?
mark watson
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by mark watson »

on some we use the landcruiser radiator as its a 60mm core , some the kzte radiator , the trick is the electric fan because you get some junk out there , yes the front and back seals gets replaced , sumps , flywheels , front pump mods , exhaust , wiring , programming all gets done inhouse the only thing farmed out is the aircon pipes and gassing.
Andre du preez
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: somerset west
Vehicle: hilux 2.2

Post by Andre du preez »

Ek het 'n 4y in my bakkie..... ek het nou maar weer die naweek gesien veral as jy sand ry. Jy moet daai engine amper dood ry voor jy erins kom.
As jy kan gaan vir die 6 clinder regtig die 4y gaan net jou Petrol steel.
mark watson
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by mark watson »

this is the thing with the lexus you have oodles of torque available and dont have to wind the hell out of the engine , with the 4y and even the 7m you have to give it gas , remember one thing the 7m is not even close to something like a 2f or 3f , we did a tata the other day with a 1j vvt and the guy was impressed with the power but hook something behind it and tow and its another kettle of fish ( very disapointing ) consumption up and have to give it welly to get anywhere , the torque curve sits to far up in the rev range , another point as mentioned before on this thread is you must strip the motor ( 7m ) and do this and that , sorry i want to buy a motor doll up the outside do minimal to it and run if it ever packed in pay 6k and stick another one in simple as that - . took it out and fitted a lexus with autobox and what a pleasure can tow a piggyback with a fully kitted colt rodeo with ease , 7.5km\l without towing 10.5km\l.
mark watson
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by mark watson »

just had a customer come in yesterday with a kzte shape double cab 2wd with canopy , petrol consumption 11.4km to the litre , lexus motor and gearbox fitted.
Gunta

Post by Gunta »

Mark Where are you based I want to come and have a chat with you?
mark watson
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by mark watson »

mark , no problem , give me a buzz 082 762 6547 , im on the east rand.
Big D
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Vehicle: SFA Hilux 2.2 BFi

Post by Big D »

I think one should check what your budget allows for, how much do you use your vehicle and what you use your vehicle for.

Mark , we hear what you say about the fuel consumption, but how much will you have to drive with your SFA to save fuel to make up for the conversion?

Will you get spares higher up in Africa for that V8.

Yes the 4Y is a donkey, and heavy on fuel, but it will last forever, and you get spares anywhere. If its all about the 0-100 mark, and 160km/h yes fit the lexus V8, if its about using a SFA what its designed for, keep to the basics.

But again each to their own. I just want to say more KW dont make it a better engine. All these engine have plus points and downfalls, V8, 7M or the 4Y. Decide on what you want to do with the vehicle and modify it to suit. Robot racer, competition truck or overlander.

Just my 2c
'94 lux, 3rz, Dual Tcases, 4.7, Lifted, Locked, 33"
ImageImage

"My worse fear is when i DIE, my wife will sell my car for what I told her I spent on it..."
Having a 12 second Honda is just like coming out of the closet; You're going to surprise a bunch of people, but in the end you're still gay.
mark watson
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by mark watson »

spot on deon , everyone is looking for different things out of their bakkies / vehicles etc. i will never try shove a conversion down somebodies throat , i always tell a customer drive various combinations and then make up your mind. where the lexus scores points is for people such that have a vehicle that has popped a motor and is looking for an alternative , i have 2 navaras , colt , mercedes sprinter bakkie sitting in the shop now and each guy has been quoted between R20k - R40k to fix the motors but at the end of the day they have lost faith as they have been repaired before . so the lexus route looks appealing to them as if something happens with the motor R6.5k and you have another motor and to top it off its a toyota engine and they have a good reputation. but on the other hand it also comes down to how the job is done trying to make a quick buck does not work do it properly and you will have no hassles at the end of the day. and who doesnt like the sound of a v8. i got a quote for a 5cyl diesel motor for the sprinter hbs brand new R120k. the other plus is when having to tow something .
Big D
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Big D »

I must admit, A sprinter with a lexus sounds very interesting

I cant imagine my Hilux with 200kw, With just the 70 odd Kw it feels unsafe. No safety systems, dodgy suspension and even worse brakes. And thats after replacing and/or upgrading :shock:
ImageImage

"My worse fear is when i DIE, my wife will sell my car for what I told her I spent on it..."
Having a 12 second Honda is just like coming out of the closet; You're going to surprise a bunch of people, but in the end you're still gay.
mark watson
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by mark watson »

deon , all the taxi owners that have sprinters are going over to lexus from the 5cyl diesel , the last customer came back and told me he used 1/2 tank from bethlehem to j/burg , and now uses 1/4 tank .
Big D
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Big D »

:shock2: That is Scary! , a Taxi with a lexus.
ImageImage

mark watson
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by mark watson »

deon ,there is plenty of them around , but what i am doing for the owners is setting the rev limit so they cant go over 140 , so its teaching them a new driving style and they save loads on the juice bill.

Return to “Engine conversions (Lexus/7M-GE/3RZ-FE etc)”