Do you clean your hands and wear glooves when you work

Discuss anything here as long as it is clean. Having a hard time with your Skoonma, tell us about it here, or discuss the Rugby. Whatever you feel like talking about.
SYRON CONVERSIONS
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Tamboekieland
Vehicle: SFA HILUX

Do you clean your hands and wear glooves when you work

Post by SYRON CONVERSIONS »

:clap: Okay here is the story, when you work on your Toyota do you wear gloves to keep your hands all nice and clean :lol:

Today Sunday the 8th Jan 2012 I was busy working on a Toyota 3 TON forklift, I had already removed the carriage bearings and bracket a week ago, the new bearings arrived and they were too tight, another set of bearings were ordred *(costing R1 300.00 each).
I fitted them today and then the side shift system and then the forks, now working by yourself, takes a little more thought on how to lift things and operate the controls of a forklift and get it back together again, so the extra forklift also comes in hand for such jobs. :thumbup:

I then fitted two new brake wheel cylinders, I do not believe in the fitting of rubber seals into these or any old used brake wheel cylinder, they do not last, the new cylinders cost R1 450.00 each.

I then had a time and a half trying to stretch the damn top springs onto their perches, various levers and methods were used until I had them in place, :oops: the small anti rattle springs were also a time consuming things to fit, each side had four of them. :oops:

Without the help of somebody else things just took a little longer, I work alone because then I do not have to rely on the *garden boy* to make a mess of things.

Then it was time to re-adjust the brakes, now you cannot see what you are doing, you have to feel (similar to when you first had your girlfriend on the couch in the dark :beg: ), if you over adjust, it takes a bit of time to adjust down again because there is a small lever that you have to push out of the way and then you can adjust.

Then it was time to bleed the system this really got me thinking *yeah I know that I sometimes do not think straight due to the fact that I roll my Hilux onto its side sometimes in fact both sides as well*. :oops: :cry: :sick:

So I grabbed one of the security guys at this company where I was working today, gave him a glass of coca cola and had him pumping away on the brake pedal until all the air had been bleed from the brake system.

Now it was time to re-fit the wheels, solid 15" tyres and rims, quick and easy, you take two pipes, one each side and you just lift the wheel into place and then screw on the nuts.

Now to jack the forklift down, what you do is you start the machine and operate the tilt system and bring the forks back all the way, to lift the machine in front you tilt the forks all the way back first, then you place wooden blocks under the bottom of each mast channel and then tilt foreward and the front end lifts off the ground. :yahoo:

So then it was time to wash the machine with the high pressure cleaner, then check the wheel nuts and brake fluid level again and not forgetting the other fluids on the forklift as well.

A few test operations and various weights were then lifted and bingo the forklift is now ready for operation Monday the 9th Jan 2011.

The old blue forklift in the pics, is an old 3 series machine dated 1985, this makes it nearly 25 years old. Last week I re-fitted the engine and gearbox back into it.

Now the question is, how dirty do you get your hands? :roll:
How often do you wash your hands during the day orm when you are working on your Toyota? :lol:
What hand Cleaner do you use and find that it does not mess up your hands and skin? :think:

:bye:
1992 Slightly Modified Hilux, 2008 VW Caddy panelvan work, 2010 Isuzu 2.5 td bakkie for work, a pair of big 'balloons' as well hanging at the rear of my Hilux

simoan
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Re: Do you clean your hands and wear glooves when you work

Post by OOOOMS »

I use wet wipes, not the kiddy kind, an industrial wet-wipe. Cleans you up....unbelievable!!!
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

I keep industrial hand cleaner gel on hand, both the smooth and the grit types .... not expensive and works very well, even getting the grime out from under and around the nails.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
SYRON CONVERSIONS
Town: Tamboekieland
Vehicle: SFA HILUX

Post by SYRON CONVERSIONS »

IMG_6792.jpg
IMG_6796.jpg
IMG_6798.jpg
IMG_6800.jpg
IMG_6805.jpg
IMG_6811.jpg
IMG_6812.jpg
IMG_6814.jpg
IMG_6816.jpg
IMG_6819.jpg
1992 Slightly Modified Hilux, 2008 VW Caddy panelvan work, 2010 Isuzu 2.5 td bakkie for work, a pair of big 'balloons' as well hanging at the rear of my Hilux

simoan
Ou vale1
Town: Heidelberg
Vehicle: Hilux 2.5 D4D

Post by Ou vale1 »

I don't wear gloves, but I rub Flight into my hands before starting. When done a quick rinse under water does the job.
Stef
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '98 LTD
Club VHF Licence: X107

Post by Stef »

I use Campher cream to loosen the drit around the nails & in the fingerprints afterwards.
Thabogrobler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: '02 'Lux KZ
Club VHF Licence: x223

Post by Thabogrobler »

Sunlight Liquid, Handy Andy, etc.

Sometime even degreaser liquid.

BUT I need something that really works.
'02 KZ 'Lux. Cooled. Chipped. Onca'd. Cherished!

If you are a diesel fan, raise your hand.
If you aren't raising your hand, raise your standards!

A 4x4 is merely a machine that enables you to get stuck further away from civilization.
Gov
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Vehicle: 98 Hilux 2.8D 4x4

Post by Gov »

Reinol Handcleaner is one of the best on the market
15 Corolla D4D
93 Toyota Camry 200i
98 Toyota Hilux 2.8D 4X4 - Stolen :(
SWARTLUX
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Gauteng
Vehicle: '05 LEGEND 35 2.7 DC 4x4, Monroe Gas allround, Long range tank, UniQ Chip. Platkar '06 Polo 1.6 Comfortline hatchback

Post by SWARTLUX »

My hande is altyd skoon want ek ry 'n toyota!Julle moet op die landrover forum gan vra vir hand skoonmaak middels hulle hande is permanent vol olie :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
Ali3n
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Roodepoort
Vehicle: Jeep Commander 3.0 Limited
Club VHF Licence: B338

Post by Ali3n »

OOOOMS wrote:I use wet wipes, not the kiddy kind, an industrial wet-wipe. Cleans you up....unbelievable!!!
This is no joke. Unbelievable. :o: :thumbup: :thumbup: works like a charm. :boss:
PRESENTLY DISADVANTAGED
ImageImageImage Link BrokenImageImage Link Broken
Custom built Rock Sliders, Bumpers, Belly protection.... Anything you can think of
Cell: 076 122 3744 E-Mail: fpanaino@gmail.com
Bear Grylls calls it "Ultimate Survival", overlanders call it "Camping"
Borntofish
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: Hilux 86

Post by Borntofish »

My hande is altyd skoon want ek ry 'n toyota!Julle moet op die landrover forum gan vra vir hand skoonmaak middels hulle hande is permanent vol olie :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
Ek was onder die indruk dat Landy eienaars se hande altyd skoon is as hulle aan hulle voertuie werk. Die olie het mos al lankal uitgelek! :yahoo: :yahoo:
Haboob
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: King Williams Town
Vehicle: Hilux
Club VHF Licence: HC129

Post by Haboob »

First Geer uses washing powder & mielie-meel
HABOOB means "Dust Storm"
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Haboob wrote:First Geer uses washing powder & mielie-meel
As long as he doesn't roll it into little bolletjies after it's soaked in oil and fry them to make fluffy little snacks! :laugh2: :winkx:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Rampie
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: '10 Pajero Sport

Post by Rampie »

Ons landy ryers sukkel nie met sulke goeters nie, ons wag dat 'n ou met 'n Hilux verby kom want hy weet hoe om dit reg te maak. Maar ons het altyd mooi spanners by ons sodat hy nie hoef te sukkel nie en Mammie sal vir hom 'n koel lappie gee om die sweet af te vee en 'n Autozone wipe vir die ghries op sy hande...

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:
SWARTLUX wrote:My hande is altyd skoon want ek ry 'n toyota!Julle moet op die landrover forum gan vra vir hand skoonmaak middels hulle hande is permanent vol olie :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Return to “Open Discussion”