New clutch

Here we discuss Hiluxes in general. Your view of the Hilux. For other general discussions please see "open Discussions" under the "Around the Campfire" heading.
michael01
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Gauteng
Vehicle: 1995 Hilux

New clutch

Post by michael01 »

Hi guys

Just a little help here please, I need to get a new clutch put in my dads 2000 Hilux DC 4x4 what do you guys recommend as a replacement? I have heard that Luke is a good brand? Is there anything else i could look at?

Also i noticed driving today that the speedo needle jumps up and down while driving need to get this looked at as well, where or who would i take this to get fixed?

i stay in the south of JHB close to Alberton, Any help would really be appropriated guys

thanks
ImageImageImageImage
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: New clutch

Post by Mud Dog »

Go with the Luk - Repco clutch .... a lot of the stealers repack these as OEM parts. The speedo needle is most likely because of a 'hurt' cable, if it's got a kink or if it's been re-routed to create a sharp bend it will cause the needle to jump.

;-)
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

The jumping needle can also be due to a speedo cable which is on its way out, just before the cable snap they tend to do that.

LUK or Sachs for the clutch
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
quickie
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Durbanville
Vehicle: Hilux 85'

Post by quickie »

I was always one for keeping my Bakkie original, I had a heavy Duty Toyota Clutch Fitted years back, at 160000km, at 349000km it showed no signs of wearing out in a hurry.
My speedo Cable started, bouncing replacing it is cheap, simple job to replace too... (once the dash/clock section is removed)
LouisZ
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux D/C 1996

Post by LouisZ »

Luke is fine :thumbup: The speedo cable like said can be going.
LouisZ
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by LouisZ »

On these Toyota packs a nice Sachs clutch kit in their Toy boxes. Only way how to say if it is OW Toyota if there is stamped in AISIN.
quickie wrote:I was always one for keeping my Bakkie original, I had a heavy Duty Toyota Clutch Fitted years back, at 160000km, at 349000km it showed no signs of wearing out in a hurry.
My speedo Cable started, bouncing replacing it is cheap, simple job to replace too... (once the dash/clock section is removed)
michael01
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Gauteng
Vehicle: 1995 Hilux

Post by michael01 »

Thanks Guys

Taking it to a friend this next week to get the gear box checked out, also will pick up a speedo cable, that i'll see if i can get from Gemini parts???

thanks again for the advice
ImageImageImageImage
LouisZ
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by LouisZ »

Gemini will have!
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Post by Mr_B »

Before going to the expense of replacing the speedo cable, try cleaning/re-greasing it. My SFA's speedo also jumped, a good clean of the inner cable and lube fixed it 100%.

If the cable is anything like the SFA one, then you can detach it on the gearbox side and remove the inner cable without having to disassemble the dashboard.

Return to “General Hilux Discussions”