Rear License Plate Light

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
dotcatt
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: port shepstone
Vehicle: IFS HIlux 2700I 99

Rear License Plate Light

Post by dotcatt »

photo attached
photo attached
photo.JPG (124.45 KiB) Viewed 4316 times
photo attached
photo attached
photo.JPG (124.45 KiB) Viewed 4316 times
So I tool the Hilux for COR today and they pointed that I was missing one of my lights for the number plate. Probably somebody helped themselves to it as it just clips off. Stealer want almost R400 for a new one and they will not order it without a deposit which I feel is a bit of a cheek.

Any suggestions - would a fitting from another make of vehicle potentially fit? or maybe just wire in a generic one from Midas?

Thanks!

P.S. They are incredibly easy to steal! If I was not honest I would just wander round the local car park and source one :-) So maybe we need to start putting burglar bars on as they have to do in Mozambique!
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: Rear License Plate Light

Post by Mud Dog »

Tristan, I replaced mine with an 'off the shelf' set from Midas or Autozone (can't remember which one it was) .... just made some minor modifications and it was sorted. Just look about ½ way down the page on this link .....
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=15977&p=224743&hili ... ht#p224743" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

;-)
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Donkey
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: 2002 3.0KZ-TE 4x4, Eazyawn RTT, Snorkel, NudgeM Bumper, 38mm Ball Joint Spacers, 35" Maxxis Bighorns, Dastek Unichip, 60 ltr Snomaster fridge/freezer, 40mm body lift, Mikem front/rear with extended shackles, Bilsteins shox rear
Club VHF Licence: X122

Post by Donkey »

Tristan, alternatively you can connect a LED bar (something with 3 x LED's will work), me thinks :think:
Tumelo Maketekete
Donkey, simple and often misunderstood.
We don't stop playing because we grow old, but we grow old because we stop playing!

2002 - 3.0KZ-TE Toyota Hilux (Letebele)
1994 - 1.6i Gl Toyota Corolla (Platkar)
1990 - Gli TwinCam 16v (ZuluBoy)

ImageImage
Traveler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Springs
Vehicle: Pathfinder 2.5 LE AT
Club VHF Licence: X81

Post by Traveler »

Donkey wrote:Tristan, alternatively you can connect a LED bar (something with 3 x LED's will work), me thinks :think:
Will also probably last longer.

Know what you don't know.
Mountain Man
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: South Africa
Vehicle: Land Cruiser 79 Series 4.5 EFi

Post by Mountain Man »

Donkey wrote:Tristan, alternatively you can connect a LED bar (something with 3 x LED's will work), me thinks :think:
I did exactly that on my Cruiser. Works like a dream and the thing is that it is not very noticiable in the day because it is only a thin strip but at night it casts a lekker light to assist me in reversing.
Just because it says "4WD" doesn't make it an off-road vehicle.
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

One little 3 LED module will work better and last longer that that light.
See
http://www.4x4direct.co.za/shop/index.p ... cts_id=142" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
0000DS
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Roodekrans
Vehicle: Tuna, 4X4, Longrange Fuel tank, BF's AT, Intergrated bumber, Roofrack, Awning, Air suspension,winch

Post by 0000DS »

I have the glass piece if you want mahalla, just pay the postage if you want?
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

The LED idea is probably the best way to go, and you have a nice little overhang / flap above the licence plate on the IFS where you can tuck them neatly out of sight. :thumbup:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Donkey
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: 2002 3.0KZ-TE 4x4, Eazyawn RTT, Snorkel, NudgeM Bumper, 38mm Ball Joint Spacers, 35" Maxxis Bighorns, Dastek Unichip, 60 ltr Snomaster fridge/freezer, 40mm body lift, Mikem front/rear with extended shackles, Bilsteins shox rear

Post by Donkey »

pietpetoors wrote:One little 3 LED module will work better and last longer that that light.
See
http://www.4x4direct.co.za/shop/index.p ... cts_id=142" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ya it's them - I have faith in those little guys, don't underestimate.
Tumelo Maketekete
We don't stop playing because we grow old, but we grow old because we stop playing!

ImageImage
dotcatt
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: port shepstone
Vehicle: IFS HIlux 2700I 99

Post by dotcatt »

Thanks for al the advice! Just wired in a LED as suggested. Passed COR now no problem!
Donkey
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Donkey »

What's your take? :think:
Tumelo Maketekete

ImageImage

Return to “The Workshop”