Passport Advice

Discuss anything here as long as it is clean. Having a hard time with your Skoonma, tell us about it here, or discuss the Rugby. Whatever you feel like talking about.
MOFASA
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Kempton Park
Vehicle: 1998 JEEP XJ 4.0............ 4 inch lift.... more mods to follow............ Old vehicle was MOFASA
Club VHF Licence: X119

Passport Advice

Post by MOFASA »

Hey guys and girls...... Just a quick one

Have any South African born british passport holders been through to Swazi without the use of a SA pasport..... :?: :?:

I still need to get my SA pasport and just hold a British at he moment....
:think: What will i need to do to go into Swazi and RETURN to SA without any issues :?: :?: :?:

I need to get to the home affairs to get my SA passport done but it will not be soon due to work..... :problem:
Live Life in the FAST lane....
Forget the past, Embrace the FUTURE!!!!
To 4x4 or not to 4x4 thats the question....
IT'S A JEEP :yahoo: ..... You wouldn't understand....
ImageImageImage[rimg=206x128]
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Re: Passport Advice

Post by OOOOMS »

MOFASA wrote:Hey guys and girls...... Just a quick one

Have any South African born british passport holders been through to Swazi without the use of a SA pasport..... :?: :?:

I still need to get my SA pasport and just hold a British at he moment....
:think: What will i need to do to go into Swazi and RETURN to SA without any issues :?: :?: :?:

I need to get to the home affairs to get my SA passport done but it will not be soon due to work..... :problem:
Legally speaking you may only be in posession of x1 passport.

Using your Britich passport you may be required to apply for a visa, botainable at the border usuaaly for around R200.00. Bit of a schlep if you are in a hurry....!
Stubs
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Onrusrivier Hermanus
Vehicle: 89, Hilux D/cab 3.0L V6 Ford !!

Post by Stubs »

Hey Johno, I am a british citizen on a Brit passport, however I have full permanent residency in SA and have an ID book, you will need to be careful as I dont think you are allowed to hold 2 passports these days, when I did my application if I wanted to get a SA passport I had to cancel my British passport, I was also told this by the traffic department for my drivers Licence, I had to hand in my british drivers licence and then I can apply for a SA one, you can guess what I told them....

But who knows the rules change between home affairs departments and on a daily basis if not hourly, will be interesting to see how you get on, but you should be able just to go in and out to Swazi on your brit passport, I dont see any probs with that, I could be wrong ??

cheers
Stubs
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

If you get a ZA passport like me, you will have free access into any of the SADC countries without having to apply for a visa.
MOFASA
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: 1998 JEEP XJ 4.0............ 4 inch lift.... more mods to follow............ Old vehicle was MOFASA

Post by MOFASA »

I have been told its easy to leave SA on the british but to return thats when you get problems.......
Typical SA :slap:
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy

Post by ChrisF »

Few years back a friend had both passports. LEft to Europe on a holiday. Signed out on the Brit passport .... when she came back she had LOTS of hassles !!!!!!

Turned into weeks and months of paperwork to show she had been living and working in SA for 30+ years (was born in UK, but her parents moved here when she was 5 years old).
LouisZ
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux D/C 1996

Post by LouisZ »

Apply for a Temp passport if it still available. You should get it within 2 days if not less. Use it and then get the Official one.
ATH
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Durban
Vehicle: 2007 Toyota Hilux 2.5 D-4D SRX 4x4

Post by ATH »

If you leave on the Brit p/port you won't get back in without a residence permit. Suggest that you get that temp. Passport. If in doubt, use a passport agency as they know how to get these things done.
I recall that I have used a company in Edenvale called "Passport 2000" but don't know if they are still around.
Scorpion
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Emmarentia
Vehicle: 1988 Hilux 4x4 D/C with more attitude than Mike Tyson

Post by Scorpion »

You have to be a citizen to hold a passport of any country, including SA. The problem is not as much our government, as it is the European countries. SA allows dual citizenship, but not most of the EU. My wife is German with permanent residence and can get a SA passport if she applies for citizenship here. However, Germany would then revoke her citizenship and she would have to let the passport go.

Our kids have dual citizenship and both German and SA passports. They leave and return to SA on their SA passports and enter anywhere else (except Africa) on their German ones. They have until 18, but then Germany will force them to choose one... :evil:
1988 Hilex D/C 4x4 (Import spec), Lexus V8; Marlin Crawler; Custom Suspension: front and new 4 link in the rear; Disc Brake conversion rear; 35" Cooper STT tyres; Xenon lights; Custom bullbar;Next? Aircon; new front seats, redo the whole interior in nice soft leather, Respray, Double Lockers
1978 Land Cruiser HJ45
1971 Mercedes Benz 280S Automatic
2011 Land Cruiser 79 V6 (60th Anniversary Edition)
CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Post by CasKru »

Now here is another question. We usually get our passports done at Edenvale as their service is some of the better ones.

Is there anywhere else anyone can suggest where there is quick and efficient service with shorter queues in the East rand or even Gauteng?
To God be the glory
Mikie
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Kyalami
Vehicle: Hilux 2006 3.0D4D 2x4 DC

Post by Mikie »

OOOOMS wrote:If you get a ZA passport like me, you will have free access into any of the SADC countries without having to apply for a visa.
Except Angola
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Mikie wrote:
OOOOMS wrote:If you get a ZA passport like me, you will have free access into any of the SADC countries without having to apply for a visa.
Except Angola
True, Angola has it's own invitation system...... :D:
zepplin
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Crooza VX 80 EFI
Club VHF Licence: HC 127

Post by zepplin »

I'm frequently in & out of Swazi & Lesotho with Americans & they never have issues re entering SA. Would think that the same applies with UK passport holders.
Crooza VX 80 efi - fully locked.
MOFASA
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by MOFASA »

ATH wrote:If you leave on the Brit p/port you won't get back in without a residence permit. Suggest that you get that temp. Passport. If in doubt, use a passport agency as they know how to get these things done.
I recall that I have used a company in Edenvale called "Passport 2000" but don't know if they are still around.

Just phoned Passports 2000

Cell: 087 941 0279
Email: rhonda@passport2000.com
Website: http://www.passport2000.co.za" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It will cost R650 for the passport and R60 for the photos (rip off if you ask me)
They open at 07H00 and will fill out the forms then take you to the edenvale home affairs for finger prints then you done.....

2 to 3 weeks and you get the passport.............
CasKru

Post by CasKru »

MOFASA wrote:
ATH wrote:If you leave on the Brit p/port you won't get back in without a residence permit. Suggest that you get that temp. Passport. If in doubt, use a passport agency as they know how to get these things done.

Just phoned Passports 2000

Cell: 087 941 0279
Email: rhonda@passport2000.com
Website: http://www.passport2000.co.za" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It will cost R650 for the passport and R60 for the photos (rip off if you ask me)
They open at 07H00 and will fill out the forms then take you to the edenvale home affairs for finger prints then you done.....

2 to 3 weeks and you get the passport.............
To God be the glory
Rieks
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Outjo
Vehicle: 3.0 D4D

Post by Rieks »

I've done my passports last year for the whole family. I had to get temporary because mine expired. I also had to apply for the kids, and Swambo's was still in her maiden name.

I went to Alberton Home Affairs. They open Tuesday's at 7:00 am. We did the photo's, the paper work (for the whole family ). And also, my wife lost misplaced the kid’s birth certificates, so we had to reprint them. Took us exactly 45min for everything!!!. I was still on time for work!!

I had all the passports in 3 weeks. My oldest daughter's was actually ready in 1 week (don't know how that happened) I never even got a change to use my temporary, cause I had my actual passport in time before we left for Namibia.

The people there were friendly (it always depends in what mood YOU are!!) . And because we went early, there were no queues.

It was a pleasant experience. I will definitely not pay that amount of money. I think the whole exercise didn't even cost me R300 - for the whole family !

OH - 1 Thing to remember - if you apply for your kids, you need their birth certificates. And both parents need to be present!
Royco
Town: Stellenbosch
Vehicle: '09 D4D 3.0 Raider 4x4 D/Cab
Club VHF Licence: X88

Post by Royco »

As far as I recall, there was a massive price increase - just can't remember when...
Maybe you got yours before the price increase, Rian. :thumbup:
Nice to hear of a positive experience though. :thumbup: :thumbup:
Image Image Image Image
CasKru

Post by CasKru »

Thanks Rian
To God be the glory
Royco
Town: Stellenbosch
Vehicle: '09 D4D 3.0 Raider 4x4 D/Cab
Club VHF Licence: X88

Post by Royco »

Royco wrote:As far as I recall, there was a massive price increase - just can't remember when...
Found it! The price increase was 01 April 2011.
http://www.buanews.gov.za/rss/11/11032417051001" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Image Image Image Image
MOFASA
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by MOFASA »

Royco wrote:As far as I recall, there was a massive price increase - just can't remember when...
Maybe you got yours before the price increase, Rian. :thumbup:
Nice to hear of a positive experience though. :thumbup: :thumbup:

And it was a MASIVE increase, Its R400 per passport now, here is a link to the prices of any documentation from Home Affairs...........

http://www.home-affairs.gov.za/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MOFASA
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by MOFASA »

Better go get mine done ASAP.....

This is on the forms and on the home affairs website.....

Applicants should note that In terms of section 26(B) of the South African Citizenship Act, 1995, it is a punishable offence for a South African citizen of 18 years and older to leave or enter South Africa on a foreign passport.

So need to get a SA passport, BUT im not giving up my British Passport..........
Rieks
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Outjo
Vehicle: 3.0 D4D

Post by Rieks »

Wow - that is a huge increase. Glad mine is valid for 9 years still...
thirstytraveller
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Edenvale
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 2.7 DC 4x4

Post by thirstytraveller »

Johno, we got new passports last year from the Edenvale Home affairs - they are even open on Saturdays. Took less than a week to get a full passport for all of us (myself and 2 sons)! If you do go - make sure you are there about half an hour before they open upand then it isnt a very long process - get there late and you are going to be there for a while! They wont let you take the forms out of the offices so you cant get them the day before, fill them in and then rock up ready to go though, but you can maybe try it! There really is no point paying passport 2000 to do it on your behalf, unless you cant get there early enough. I was really impressed with the speed and efficiency that they did our passports for us.
thirstytraveller
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

MOFASA wrote:Better go get mine done ASAP.....

This is on the forms and on the home affairs website.....

Applicants should note that In terms of section 26(B) of the South African Citizenship Act, 1995, it is a punishable offence for a South African citizen of 18 years and older to leave or enter South Africa on a foreign passport.

So need to get a SA passport, BUT im not giving up my British Passport..........

As far as I understand it, you are allowed to carry two passports, but whichever passport you leave SA with, you have to use to re-enter SA with. So if you are going to say the UK, you get stamped out of SA in the SA passport. When you get to the UK, you can enter the UK on your UK passport - but you have to leave on it as well. then when you get back to SA - you have to use your SA passport to enter.

But dont quote me on that and ring me from the airport threatening me with lawsuits! Maybe ask at home affairs when you are applying for your SA one and then let us know what they say.
MOFASA
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by MOFASA »

thirstytraveller wrote: There really is no point paying passport 2000 to do it on your behalf, unless you cant get there early enough. I was really impressed with the speed and efficiency that they did our passports for us.

Do you know what time they open on a Saturday?
Where is the edenvale home affairs??
I downloaded the forms i hope they will accept them, If not i will just fill out the new ones.......

I think passport 2000 is a good service but you still need to be there to do the forms and finger prints......
So i will rather do it, cost is the issue.....
thirstytraveller wrote:As far as I understand it, you are allowed to carry two passports, but whichever passport you leave SA with, you have to use to re-enter SA with. So if you are going to say the UK, you get stamped out of SA in the SA passport. When you get to the UK, you can enter the UK on your UK passport - but you have to leave on it as well. then when you get back to SA - you have to use your SA passport to enter.

But dont quote me on that and ring me from the airport threatening me with lawsuits! Maybe ask at home affairs when you are applying for your SA one and then let us know what they say.
I have heard the same thing.............

I dont threaten lawsuits..... I DIY :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Im not going to mantion my British at all cos i WILL NOT give it up so dont want to take the chance.......
thirstytraveller
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Edenvale home affairs:
C/o Hendrik Potgieter and van Riebeeck street, Edenvale. It is the shopping centre that used to have the checkers in it, in the main drag through Edenvale, greenstone side of the main CBD area. They are open from 8am on Saturday, so get there by 7:30am at the latest and start queing!
MOFASA
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by MOFASA »

thirstytraveller wrote:Edenvale home affairs:
C/o Hendrik Potgieter and van Riebeeck street, Edenvale. It is the shopping centre that used to have the checkers in it, in the main drag through Edenvale, greenstone side of the main CBD area. They are open from 8am on Saturday, so get there by 7:30am at the latest and start queing!
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Return to “Open Discussion”