Grinding noise left front, spindle bearing not wheel bearing

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
3RZ
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: 2004 Legend 35 Hilux 2.7 DC 4x4

Grinding noise left front, spindle bearing not wheel bearing

Post by 3RZ »

I have been searching for the cause of a grinding noise at the left front wheel of my IFS for a while now. Everybody keeps on telling me that it is the wheel bearing, it sounds like metal on metal. Well I have replaced the bearings twice and the noise was still there - started doubting my mechanical abilities. Some suggested tyre noise, well changing the tyres and swapping out the tyres with a different brand did not change the noise. Now the theory is that the front drive shaft is standing still when you are driving because the front diff is not connected to the gearbox in 2wd and the hubs are not locked but they do turn, maybe not as fast as when they are connected but they do ! I used a long cable tie to fasten the shaft so that it doesn't turn and the noise went away. Some more reading research and I found that it was the drive shaft spindle bearing causing this. The spindle bearing gets dry or water and dust enters the shaft and stuffs up the bearing. The bearing on mine felt like it had sand in the grease.

Here is a link to the basic procedure to replace the bearing http://www.yotatech.com/~corey/tech/jim ... ckford.htm

I also found this tool with which you can grease the spindle bearing without taking the whole lot apart. Good idea to do this once in a while. Who of you have ever done this ?

http://www.sleeoffroad.com/products/pro ... etail.html

This is a list of the parts you will need.

Steering Knuckle oil seal - 90316-60004 x1 R330.75

Outer steering knuckle Bush - 90381-30003 x1 R188
Inner steering Knuckle Bush - 90381-32001 x1 R89.05
You can us the old bushes if the are not worn and you can remove them without damage but you will not know their condition until you have removed them

Drive shaft spindle bearing - 90364-30011 x1 R668
The important one

Front hub inner bearing oil seal 90311-66003 x1 R238.55
(only if you are going to replace the bearings as well)

Front wheel adjusting lock washer 90215-42025 x1 R19.25 each
(the washer with the tabs that you bend to lock the nuts)

Front wheel adjusting nut 43521-60011 x2 R19.58 each
(not neccessary but I bought two extra to use one for the lubricating tool I want to make)

Drive shaft retaing bolt 90119-08466 x1 R14.90
(Not neccessary if yours is still in good condition)

Drive shaft spacer
2.25mm 90560-27011 x 1 R30.70
This you get in a 1.8, 2mm and 2.25 mm to adjust the endplay to between 0.1 and 0.5mm, max is 1 mm. I used the 2mm that was on the shaft.

Drive shaft snap ring 90520-27023 x1 R21.65
This is a must, once you bend them past the point of no return they are buggered. Get at least one.

The spindle bearing part no is NSK DB503011, this I did not have before so I could not try and get it from a bearing agent. The spindle needle bearing dimensions:
Outer Diameter 37mm
Inner diameter 30mm
Length 20mm

From what I can understand this bearing is not available to us but there is one that is 19mm long,I will see what I can find out from the NSK agents and let you know. There is space for a slightly longer bearing as well and I don't think a slightly shorter one is going to make much difference.

You do not need a bearing press. I removed the outer bush by hammering it out with a 10mm rod, the bearing and inner bush I hammered out with a socket and extension just fitting inside the stub axle fom the outside. I put the bearing in the freezer and hammered it in gently with an appropriate size socket without any difficulty, same with the inner and outer bushes.
Last edited by 3RZ on Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:36 am, edited 3 times in total.
CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Re: Grinding noise left front, spindle bearing not wheel bea

Post by CasKru »

Thanks vir die info Willem. Bly jy kon die probleem toe identifiseer
To God be the glory
3RZ
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by 3RZ »

The front wheel bearing part numbers in case you want tot replace them while you are at it.

Inner Bearing - Timken KJLM104948/10
Outer Bearing - Timken KLM102949/10-TI

Inner oil seal as above Toyota part no 90311-66003
3RZ
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by 3RZ »

Cassie dit het ook maar vrek lank gevat, 60000km ver en 'n paar jaar. Almal het gese ek verbeel myself maar ek ken mos my wa. Ek haat dit as ek iets hoor wat fout kan wees en ek kan nie die fout kry nie. Net so terloops Toyota vra so R7500 die joppie.
CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Post by CasKru »

3RZ wrote:Cassie dit het ook maar vrek lank gevat, 60000km ver en 'n paar jaar. Almal het gese ek verbeel myself maar ek ken mos my wa. Ek haat dit as ek iets hoor wat fout kan wees en ek kan nie die fout kry nie. Net so terloops Toyota vra so R7500 die joppie.
Die ding is mens ken mens se trok en jy weet as iets nie reg is nie. Maar om daai iets te kry is baie moeilik want net jy weet wat daai iets is wat jy van praat
To God be the glory
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

Baie dankie vir daai een Willem
Ek het al gehoor van daai bearing wat moeilikheid maak, maar nou weet ek presies waar, hoe en hoekom.
Dankie vir die baie nuttige inligting.
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots

Return to “The Workshop”