Oil filter impacted by Stabiliser bar

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Liege
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Sandton
Vehicle: Hilux dbl cab, 2011 4.0 AT 4x4, Lifted suspension, BFG AT, Steeltop.

Oil filter impacted by Stabiliser bar

Post by Liege »

Hi Guys,

I have an engine conversion to the Toyota 3RZ motor. The layout of the engine and oil filter poses a problem when the suspension is fully compressed on the right hand side of the vehicle, because the stabiliser bar impacts the oil filter. The oil filter installed is the shortest one that I am aware of, the GUD Z87 type?

I tried to install a teflon spacer on the chassis above the rubber bump stop however that got smeared off the first time the suspension compressed all the way.

I have considered doing the axle move to the front, however the 35-40mm will not alleviate the problem, it will just make the stabiliser impact the oil filter closer to the front edge rather than near the center.

Any advice on what to do here, or is a dented oil filter not the end of the world?

Thanks
JRV
close view of oil filter
close view of oil filter
IMG_0915resize.jpg
Movement of suspension (bump stop and stabiliser bar)
(131.14 KiB) Downloaded 269 times
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: Oil filter impacted by Stabiliser bar

Post by Mud Dog »

A dented oil filter is definitely not the end of the world .... I wouldn't worry about it. The 3RZ was never fitted as standard to a solid front axle, and that is perhaps why you are picking up the problem. The only thing that I might be concerned about is that it doesn't damage the receptacle for the filter or that it starts leaking there. I'm almost sure that there is a shorter filter available though. :think:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
3RZ
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: 2004 Legend 35 Hilux 2.7 DC 4x4

Post by 3RZ »

Why don't you just fit an oil filter relocation kit. You can then fit the filter somewhere convenient. I have been thinking of doing this just to make it easier to replace the filter when servicing. You can then also fit a bigger filter. Just google "oil filter relocation kit" there are plenty available. You get kits where the pipes from the original location exit at right angles as well.
cpfiltermovalkit.jpg
cpfiltermovalkit.jpg (58.74 KiB) Viewed 1078 times
GWR-066.jpg
GWR-066.jpg (14.44 KiB) Viewed 1078 times
oilrelocation-500x500.jpg
(132.65 KiB) Downloaded 232 times
Last edited by 3RZ on Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
MOFASA
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Kempton Park
Vehicle: 1998 JEEP XJ 4.0............ 4 inch lift.... more mods to follow............ Old vehicle was MOFASA
Club VHF Licence: X119

Post by MOFASA »

3RZ wrote:Why don't you just fit an oil filter relocation kit. You can then fit the filter somewhere convenienient.
Thats the best option there is.... :thumbup:
Im sure i saw something like that at midas some time ago.....
Live Life in the FAST lane....
Forget the past, Embrace the FUTURE!!!!
To 4x4 or not to 4x4 thats the question....
IT'S A JEEP :yahoo: ..... You wouldn't understand....
ImageImageImage[rimg=206x128]

Return to “The Workshop”