KZTE Chip Only?

Discuss modifications on your late 1998 to 2005 IFS Hilux here.
morganharris
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Bloemfontein
Vehicle: Hilux KZTE

KZTE Chip Only?

Post by morganharris »

Hey Guys

I have lifted the hell out of my 2004 DC KZTE, now its averaging 6km/L, very heavy i know, but works great in the bush. Problem is i drive a lot of Highway to get to the bush and its kind killing the fact that it performs and looks so good in the bush.

Spoke to SAC Bloemfontein, they said i have 2 options.

1. Intercooler and Chip conversion for R10 000, problem is that i am Hunting most the season on rough roads and the intercooler "will" get damaged and submurged.
2. Chip only (dastek), he said 15 - 20% increase in performance and consumption???? now to me financially that means 7.2km/L for R4500 or i spend the same money on 380L of diesel

Now my 2 questions are:

1. Has anyone here "Chiped only" their KZTE? and what do you think?
2. Should i rather spend the money on Diesel than only gaining 1km/L in saving?

Which is best and is this accurate?

My main goal is to save on fuel, i already have a snorkle, so what are my options?

Should i maybe change my exhaust and take out the catalitic converter and add a chip? I dont know anymore, very frustrating....

Any help will help

Thanks guys...
4x4Maniac
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Centurion
Vehicle: 2011 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited (JKU) 3.8 Auto
Club VHF Licence: X120

Re: KZTE Chip Only?

Post by 4x4Maniac »

Welcome to the forum Morgan. Firstly the intercooler and chip improves the performance and can lower exhaust gases by adjusting the air fuel mixture. This extends the life of the motor IMO. I would definitely consider both and you can do it in stages, however shop around, you can always do it at any performance shop, like Dastek. How much did you lift it, as I went through the same experience, fitted 31" BFG and OME 60mm in the front and 80mm at the back and my fuel consuption dropped by about 1km/l. When I fit the rooftop it's even worse.
ORRA CALLSIGN X120
AKA Epsilon on 4x4Community
(2011 JKUR)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.8 Auto Unlimited

Rugged Ridge Front & Rear Bumpers
Rugged Ridge Light Guards
KC Spotlights
Previous:
2003 Toyota Hilux DC KZTE 3.0 4x4
2001 Toyota Hilux DC 2700i 4x4
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Velddrif
Vehicle: Triton 3.5l V6
Club VHF Licence: HC107

Post by george »

You can also look at a top mount intercooler. Than you dont have to worry about the submersion.
I have the petrol and the chip did wonders for me
"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.-Saint Augustine"
Thabogrobler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '02 'Lux KZ
Club VHF Licence: x223

Post by Thabogrobler »

Hi Morgan,

Did the cooler and chip - performance is out of this world, but comsumption stayed the same, almost 300 000km later!

Rather get the Prado intercooler(From Dastek Power) fit it with a D4D scoop and then have it chipped.

BUT you will not see a 20% improvement in fuel comsumption, IMHO.

The frontal ares of your truck is bigger now than before this lift, hence the raised consumption. You just can not beat basic physics!
'02 KZ 'Lux. Cooled. Chipped. Onca'd. Cherished!

If you are a diesel fan, raise your hand.
If you aren't raising your hand, raise your standards!

A 4x4 is merely a machine that enables you to get stuck further away from civilization.
Hoppy
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Hilux SFA & IFS

Post by Hoppy »

Diesels don't give more power when you lean them out, they need fuel to make power.
aev@iburst.co.za
The trouble with trouble is...it always starts as fun.
The most precious jewels you will ever wear around your neck is the arms of your children...
" I WOULD RATHER SIT ON THE TAILGATE OF MY HILUX WITH A BEER AND A CHOP, WATCHING A FIRE, THAN DINE IN THE BEST RESTAURANT IN TOWN "
morganharris
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Bloemfontein
Vehicle: Hilux KZTE

Post by morganharris »

I have lifted my vehicle a lot, not sure how much. But i installed medium duty mikem suspension at the back, then bought extended shackles that are longer than those that came with the suspension and added that too. The ass was way up there.

Then i added Mikem heavy duty extended tortion bars as well as spacers, now the front us way up there too.

If i am to spend anything over R5000 on the vehicle, then i need to make sure it saves on fuel. Otherwise i would rather spend that same money on diesel. Quick calculation, a SAC intercooler/chip conversion is R10 000, filling up diesel for R10 000 will give me 820L, this translates into 4900km of driving @ 6km/L.

So if i spend R10 000 and lets say my consumption goes from 6km/l to 8km/l. This means driving another 4900km will give me 612L. So i spent R10 000 to save me 208L over 5000km, thats only a saving of R2500 over 5000km.

Dam, looking at it like this really puts things into perspective. maybe i should sell it and get a D4D?
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Velddrif
Vehicle: Triton 3.5l V6
Club VHF Licence: HC107

Post by george »

Dam, looking at it like this really puts things into perspective. maybe i should sell it and get a D4D?
Believe me Bro. I have been driving 7500km in the last 2 months at 6km/lt and it hurts :thumbdown: In hind sight I would love a d4d
"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.-Saint Augustine"
pietdevs
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Mosselbay
Vehicle: Toyota Land Cruiser Troopy

Post by pietdevs »

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=23763" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I lifted my KZTE (Downey USA) and had the same problem. Free flow exhaust and I modified my air inlet and it made a HUGE difference. I had the same feedback for the chip as from the guys above. I get up to 9 km/l when driving at a steady 120 km/h. Check the thread above. The air inlet is critical because this is where your "choking" takes place through all the heavy restrictions and bends.
Thabogrobler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '02 'Lux KZ
Club VHF Licence: x223

Post by Thabogrobler »

Hey Pieter,

Hoe het ek daai post van jou gemis?

Iets wat ek verseker gaan probeer!

Het jy dalk meet detail foto's?
'02 KZ 'Lux. Cooled. Chipped. Onca'd. Cherished!

If you are a diesel fan, raise your hand.
If you aren't raising your hand, raise your standards!

A 4x4 is merely a machine that enables you to get stuck further away from civilization.

Return to “Late 1998 to 2005 (Gen 5 aka IFS Hilux)”