Leopards in Du Touis kloof

Tell us about your interesting nature stories, animal sightings, questions and pictures on nature and your experiences.
Niel
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 2014, DC, D4D 3.0, 4x4

Leopards in Du Touis kloof

Post by Niel »

Do you know of wildlife groups similar to Cape Leopard Trust (to my knowledge only operate in the Cederberg area) that monitors the movement..... of leopards in the Western Cape?

The reason why I ask is on my way back from Rawsonville abought 3 weeks ago I spotted a Leopard crossing the road abought 300 m of the top of Du Toitskloof pass on the Paarl side. I love animals and want to get involved with an organisation that aims to preserve these magnificent animals. I mean, got the passion, got the vehicle, get into nature ….. all the good reasons but don’t have the time.

No success to date in finding this organisation(s).
Niel

Re: Leopards in Du Touis kloof

Post by Niel »

Found some pics of a leopard spotted in the Cedererg by Cape Leopard Trust.
Attachments
M2-camtrap.jpg
Cookie Monster
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Port Elizabeth
Vehicle: 2006 Hilux DC V6 Auto 4x4 Oldman Emu suspension

Post by Cookie Monster »

Thats really great Niel we need more guys like you around then I think we would not have a problem with diapearing wild life :?
2006 Hilux DC 4x4 4.0 V6 Old Man Emu suspension, Long Range Fuel Tank and a LA Sport Sump Guard, Natko railings with spade and high lift brackets, LA Sport high lift jack mounts, Powder coated Hilux Nudge Bar, Hella LED light bar, LED Work Light
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

That can be a very challenging job, some people want to protect them and the sheep farmers want to shoot them.

I have the same idea of getting more involved. Up north some of the nature reserves have groups of volunteers who help with maintaining the parks. Like "Friends of Pilaansberg". They come together like once a month and then help with tasks like fixing fences, camps, building bird hides, etc. Do you know of any such organizations around the beautiful Cape?

As I am sitting behind my desk I have this lovely view on the Langebaan Lagoon with PosBerg in the back. It is such a lovely area to live in and I think it is a sin not to spend more time in nature. Especially this time of year, everything is green and wonderful.
pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

Niel
Here is a chance for you to help:
See viewtopic.php?f=16&t=162
What a coincidence, the Cape Leopard Trust is looking for a Hilux for under R50k and they want a SFA 2.2 to do the job. If you see anything in the Cape, let us know please.
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
Niel

Post by Niel »

Hi CM

I take that as a compliment thanks. Assuming you are an animal lover as well? Why don’t we start something or since we are from different areas in SA. Each member starts or get involved in our respective areas.
Niel

Post by Niel »

Hi Piet,

I have previously contacted Cape Leopard Trust but they were not interested in using anyone in the field apart from students studying in a particular field (assuming one can understand it). I decided that I will keep my eyes and ears open for similar opportunities.

You mentioned an interesting concept of helping in Parks and wildlife organisations ..... i.e. "Friends of Pilanserg". How abought us (the forum members) starting something for wildlife/nature.

Will keep an eye out for a Hilux for CLT.

Any other ideas guys? Your comments?
pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

I will start by asking at the park offices this week. If they do not have something like a "friends of...." we might as well start something like this. I guess one has to start somewhere.
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
Jill Earle
Vehicle: Toyota

Post by Jill Earle »

Hi Niel,

I was very excited to read about your leopard sighting, I know it was over a year ago now, but is it possible to send me a GPS reading? Use Google Earth?

LEAP (Leopard Ecological Assessment Project) has recently been started under the auspices of K.e.r.i Research (Karongwe Ecological Research Institute), to do a National leopard survey. This is a massive undertaking, but is essential to the survival of these beautiful animals. CITES doubled the hunting quota of leopard in 2004 from 75 to 150 p/a, which is ridiculous considering there is no accurate data on their numbers!!!!

We will be running the project provincially and I will be heading up the Western Cape Study sites next year. We will collaborate with CLT and have chosen Hottentots Holland / Kogelberg Nature Reserve, Karoo National Park and Tankwa Karoo National Park.

We are in need of donations, equipment, vehicles etc. We cannot run all projects simultaneously due to lack of funding and we are hoping to complete the survey within the next three years.

I can send more info to anyone who may be in a position to assist us.

Kind leopard regards
Jill Earle
Last edited by Jill Earle on Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bosvark
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: Hilux 2200 D/C AUS specs

Post by Bosvark »

Niel jy moet ophou die goed uit jou duim suig
Attachments
u16500603.jpg
u16500603.jpg (4.85 KiB) Viewed 3508 times
n vark bly maar n vark
Scorpion
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Emmarentia
Vehicle: 1988 Hilux 4x4 D/C with more attitude than Mike Tyson

Post by Scorpion »

En amper vra ek waar's my 30-06? :shock: :oops: :wink:
1988 Hilex D/C 4x4 (Import spec), Lexus V8; Marlin Crawler; Custom Suspension: front and new 4 link in the rear; Disc Brake conversion rear; 35" Cooper STT tyres; Xenon lights; Custom bullbar;Next? Aircon; new front seats, redo the whole interior in nice soft leather, Respray, Double Lockers
1978 Land Cruiser HJ45
1971 Mercedes Benz 280S Automatic
2011 Land Cruiser 79 V6 (60th Anniversary Edition)
Tristan
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Kidds Beach
Vehicle: 97 Hilux D/C 2.4l 4x4

Post by Tristan »

I love animals :mrgreen: at one stage I used to live on a farm in Zululand and used to help out with game capture it really was an awesome job.
Strangely although I love animals I dont have anything against hunting but only as long as it is controlled. The fact is if animals are going to be fenced in some of them are going to have to be shot (culled) and it is in the best interest of all species involved.
Dont get me wrong Im very!! against the senseless killing of some animals. Especially the guys who go and target rare species just for trophies :evil: :evil: :evil: Why would anybody want to shoot something like a Suni (small antelope only about 30cm high) :?: :x :x

I am also very keen to get out into the bush and help out with a good cause :wink: I dont have money to give but am willing to give up my spare time towards something that is going to make a difference :)
ImageImageImage
Scorpion
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Scorpion »

Don't worry, Tristan! I was only joking. I am also an animal lover and a hunter. I have 6 dogs, 5 cats and a wife... :twisted: Hunting is not a sport for me and I only hunt when I want meat or need to cull some antelope on my farm. I also have some leopards on my farm by the way... :wink:
1988 Hilex D/C 4x4 (Import spec), Lexus V8; Marlin Crawler; Custom Suspension: front and new 4 link in the rear; Disc Brake conversion rear; 35" Cooper STT tyres; Xenon lights; Custom bullbar;Next? Aircon; new front seats, redo the whole interior in nice soft leather, Respray, Double Lockers
1978 Land Cruiser HJ45
Tristan
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Tristan »

Okay then... send me a couple kilo's of biltong next time you go shooting and all will be forgiven :lol: :lol: :lol:
ImageImageImage
Niel

Post by Niel »

Jill Earle wrote:I can send more info to anyone who may be in a position to assist us.
Please PM me your contact detail as I would like to get involved in fieldwork...
I have provided Quinton of CLT with the detail back then. I will look for the mail I sent him and send it to you. Pls PM me your email address and contact details. I would like to assist in De Toitskloof area as a first preference

The only shooting I do is with a camera :D
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Velddrif
Vehicle: Triton 3.5l V6
Club VHF Licence: HC107

Post by george »

I see there was a leopard killed in kammies kroon recently that was caught in a "slagyster"
Go to http://www.dieburger.com/Pages/polls.aspx
There is a poll where you can vote.
"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.-Saint Augustine"
Niel

Post by Niel »

Pitty, my vote has been added but we need to do more to stop this......
Scorpion
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Scorpion »

I totally agree. Leopards are such majectic animals, but it doesn't matter which animals you are talking about, poaching is a horrible problem. I am not talking about somebody poaching with a gun, but probably 90% is done using snares and traps.

This is the cruellest possible way you can kill an animal. It is caught in one of these and either bleeds to death by litteraly ripping it's leg off to get out of the trap and then bleeding to death, or it dies of thirst... :evil: They also set a number of traps in the same path and can kill up to 5 animals within meters of each other. Then they have the audacity to only take the very good meat like fillets and sirlions and leave the rest to rot! They catch a Sable and it's a R 100 000 fillet they sell for maybe R50.

I can tell you, every time I find an animal in a trap I want to cry. And then I want to kill! Not the animals, but the poachers. And it's not just about the money you lose, on the contrary, it's much more about the suffering these poor animals endure. Everybody condemned the farmers that "accidentally" shot a poacher a few years back, but I can tell you, when I find them, it won't be an accident... :evil: :evil: :evil:
1978 Land Cruiser HJ45
Tristan
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Tristan »

Johann the pouchers dont deserve the courtesy of your bullet, rather put them in one of there own snares and let them suffer the same fate :x :evil: :x Drag them behind the hilux if you have to :evil:
ImageImageImage
Scorpion
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Scorpion »

Believe me, it will not only involve one bullet, but that will only happen after a lot of dragging, dropping, driving over, etc. and finally I will feed them to the leopards.... :evil:
1978 Land Cruiser HJ45
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

Agreed! I absolutely hate any form of animal cruelty.

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

Niel

Post by Niel »

Jill Earle wrote:is it possible to send me a GPS reading? Use Google Earth?
This is the GPS readings
S33 41.768 E19 04.365

Our company blocked the use of Google Earth sorry. Used the T4Africa maps.

Thanks for your contact details and let me know if you need "field workers in the the above areas :D

I am sure there is a few more chaps that would join as well :D
Attachments
Leopard.doc
Map of where I saw the leopard
(136.5 KiB) Downloaded 75 times
Niel

Post by Niel »

Jill. how did you find out abought this thread if I might ask :?: :D

Return to “Out in Nature”