A few questions on camping fridges, what are your thoughts

Discuss all kind of nice gadgets and two way radios here.
Donkey
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: 2002 3.0KZ-TE 4x4, Eazyawn RTT, Snorkel, NudgeM Bumper, 38mm Ball Joint Spacers, 35" Maxxis Bighorns, Dastek Unichip, 60 ltr Snomaster fridge/freezer, 40mm body lift, Mikem front/rear with extended shackles, Bilsteins shox rear
Club VHF Licence: X122

A few questions on camping fridges, what are your thoughts

Post by Donkey »

Im currently running the 60 ltr S/S Snomaster in my truck and very happy with the product and service I get from Snomaster (is my next fridge/freezer a Snomaster? Of course)

1. being 220/12v, if truck is parked in the garage, I normally keep it plugged in the mains, running 24 hrs (only recently I connected a switch on the 12v side to disconnect the 12v side manually) - leaving the fridge running from the battery continuously not only dischages the battery to unsafe levels but this was I damaged my battery, hence the switch. What are your thoughts?

2. When frozen mother's milk cans warm up (when fridge is off), they create small water droplets which collect at the bottom, when cleaning the fridge or the truck I would normally wipe the inside dry, is this something to worry about or am I being paranoid :think: :shock2: , can this water cause any harm?

3. Since I damaged my Deltec, on our last trip to Lesotho this past Easter (boys trip with lots of drinking), I used a normal cranking battery to run the fridge, capacity was 50 Ah, and I was pleasantly surprized at how well this set-up worked (coupled to a DC/DC charger of 12A), in fact I was amazed. Is it worth it to buy another Deltec or buy a 90 Ah normal battery, which is cheaper? :thumbup: only the fridge and one LED module runs from the second battery.
Tumelo Maketekete
Donkey, simple and often misunderstood.
We don't stop playing because we grow old, but we grow old because we stop playing!

2002 - 3.0KZ-TE Toyota Hilux (Letebele)
1994 - 1.6i Gl Toyota Corolla (Platkar)
1990 - Gli TwinCam 16v (ZuluBoy)

ImageImage
FJCruiser-ZN
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Durban
Vehicle: FJ Cruiser 4.0 V6 4x4
Club VHF Licence: X224

Re: A few questions on camping fridges, what are your though

Post by FJCruiser-ZN »

Hi Tumelo

I've got two stainless steel 50l N/L's, I usually run one as a freezer and the other as a fridge. With the N/L's you can plug both the 12v and 220v supplies in together, and the unit will automatically switch to 220v if present.

As far as the condensation is concerned, if your freezer has a plastic lining like mine, the water droplets shouldn't cause any damage until cleaned. However if its steel inside, rust may start forming.

I bought a 105A Deltec Freedom battery from a good friend (I'm sure you know the brother). I'm using it as my second battery without any problems yet. I believe the Deltec Freedom battery is a high cycle battery with some characteristic's of a deep cycle. They say it can be discharged to 50% without any damage.

I only run one N/L in my truck, the other one is in my off road caravan.

T
If you don't own an FJ Cruiser you probably won't understand...
Until we meet on a dusty road someday, somewhere, keep on Cruisering....
2013 FJ Cruiser 4.0 V6 4x4 AT
2012 Jurgen's Xcape
MOFASA
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Kempton Park
Vehicle: 1998 JEEP XJ 4.0............ 4 inch lift.... more mods to follow............ Old vehicle was MOFASA
Club VHF Licence: X119

Post by MOFASA »

Buy 1 or 2 of these..........
They work like a charm.......
They keep Ice in solid form up to 5 days....
Work well with dryice.....
Less than HALF the price.....
Wont rust......
All round a bargain......
Attachments
Coleman Xtreme Cooler.jpg
(47.65 KiB) Downloaded 652 times
Live Life in the FAST lane....
Forget the past, Embrace the FUTURE!!!!
To 4x4 or not to 4x4 thats the question....
IT'S A JEEP :yahoo: ..... You wouldn't understand....
ImageImageImage[rimg=206x128]
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Your unit should switch automatically to 220V if it's there, as Legend35-ZN says. No reason why the normal battery should not work .... just won't keep the fridge running as long before the low power protection cuts the fridge off.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Velddrif
Vehicle: Triton 3.5l V6
Club VHF Licence: HC107

Post by george »

On my trip I ditch the deep cycle and got a 652 90 amp battery.I think it is the one they use in a merc.The high cycle worked great for me.Especially since I dont had dc/dc but used the normal alti
"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.-Saint Augustine"
Donkey
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: 2002 3.0KZ-TE 4x4, Eazyawn RTT, Snorkel, NudgeM Bumper, 38mm Ball Joint Spacers, 35" Maxxis Bighorns, Dastek Unichip, 60 ltr Snomaster fridge/freezer, 40mm body lift, Mikem front/rear with extended shackles, Bilsteins shox rear

Post by Donkey »

Mud Dog wrote:Your unit should switch automatically to 220V if it's there, as Legend35-ZN says. No reason why the normal battery should not work .... just won't keep the fridge running as long before the low power protection cuts the fridge off.
Correct, fridge does switch to 220v automatically if connected, my reasoning behind the switch on the 12v supply side, is being able to isolate fridge from battery, without having to plug/unplug the 12v supply, this way if not in use I don't drain the second battery unnessecarily and prevent damage to the battery.
Tumelo Maketekete
We don't stop playing because we grow old, but we grow old because we stop playing!

ImageImage
Donkey
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Donkey »

Legend35-ZN wrote:Hi Tumelo

I've got two stainless steel 50l N/L's, I usually run one as a freezer and the other as a fridge. With the N/L's you can plug both the 12v and 220v supplies in together, and the unit will automatically switch to 220v if present.

As far as the condensation is concerned, if your freezer has aplastic lininglike mine, the water droplets shouldn't cause any damage until cleaned. However if its steel inside, rust may start forming.

I bought a 105A Deltec Freedom battery from a good friend (I'm sure you know the brother). I'm using it as my second battery without any problems yet. I believe the Deltec Freedom battery is a high cycle battery with some characteristic's of a deep cycle. They say it can be discharged to 50% without any damage.

T
The inner of my fridge is metal, so maybe as a solution one could use silicone where the metals meet, because that's where I noticed rust wanting to form?

Yea, I think I know the brother :mocking:

@ Mofasa, doubt if I'll have space, besides bought the fridge already. The downside with a cooler is when overlanding, you don't always get ice, but 5 days is a long time I agree :thumbup:
Tumelo Maketekete

ImageImage
FJCruiser-ZN
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Durban
Vehicle: FJ Cruiser 4.0 V6 4x4
Club VHF Licence: X224

Post by FJCruiser-ZN »

Donkey wrote:
Legend35-ZN wrote:Hi Tumelo

As far as the condensation is concerned, if your freezer has aplastic lininglike mine, the water droplets shouldn't cause any damage until cleaned. However if its steel inside, rust may start forming.

T
The inner of my fridge is metal, so maybe as a solution one could use silicone where the metals meet, because that's where I noticed rust wanting to form?

Yea, I think I know the brother :mocking:

@ Mofasa, doubt if I'll have space, besides bought the fridge already. The downside with a cooler is when overlanding, you don't always get ice, but 5 days is a long time I agree :thumbup:
Get yourself a small bottle of "rust converter" and treat the rust first before sealing it.
If you don't own an FJ Cruiser you probably won't understand...
Until we meet on a dusty road someday, somewhere, keep on Cruisering....
2013 FJ Cruiser 4.0 V6 4x4 AT
2012 Jurgen's Xcape
optirite
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Hartbeespoort Dam
Vehicle: 1993 80 Series Land Cruiser (3UZ-VVTi)
Club VHF Licence: J91

Post by optirite »

When the 4x4 is parked in the garage why not connect the main battery to an intelligent battery charger? That way the cranking battery will remain in tip top condition AND once your solenoid opens (usually after 5 mins) then the 2nd battery will also get charge and thus will also remain in tip top condition. When I am not using my fridge I shut it down and put a towel under the lid so that it doesn't close, thus allowing airflow to keep it dry.
Image kiss kiss
Dingo
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Kempton Park
Vehicle: 95 4x4 DC Hilux, 7MG engine, EFS suspension, Home made custom off-road canopy.

Post by Dingo »

I'm with Mike - when not using my fridge I turn it off. there are some little plastic gadgets from Outdoor Wharehouse that you put under the lid and it keeps the coolerbox/fridge lid slightly open for airventing.

when I know I'm gonna use my fridge I normally turn it on with the 220V the night or so before to cool down.
Johan Kriel
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Okahandja
Vehicle: 2.5 SC 4x4

Post by Johan Kriel »

Put the nomaster on 220V permanent at home, if it breaks than is not a train smash, and get something else for the vehicle. :D:

Sorry, only my opinion! :lol:
Johan Kriel

Legend 50
Donkey
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Donkey »

Johan Kriel wrote:Put the nomaster on 220V permanent at home, if it breaks than is not a train smash, and get something else for the vehicle. :D:

Sorry, only my opinion! :lol:
You'll be surprised this little man is very reliable :thumbup:
Thanks for all the replies.
Tumelo Maketekete

ImageImage

Return to “Electronic Gadgets and Radios”