subok
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Jhb - Somerset West
Vehicle: Hilux 3.0 D4D 4x4 D/C - Kitted for overlanding
Club VHF Licence: HC152

Compressor connection

Post by subok »

I am planning to semi-permanently install my T-max 160 compressor in the loadbin, with a direct connection to the dual battery in the engine bay. There is an existing (unfused) cable running to the rear bumber with a brad harrison plug.
The compressor spec says it will draw 45 amps max. I am worried about a short circuit at the plug with a deep water crossing and would like to know if a fuse will prevent this and if so, what size fuse to install?
With a bit of work I can reroute the plug to inside the loadbin (under an alu-cab). What size fuse should I install in this case?
Any advice will be appreciated, my electronic knowledge is scary.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Stef
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '98 LTD
Club VHF Licence: X107

Re: Compressor connection

Post by Stef »

So if I understand you correctly, you want to protect the compressor as well as the cable running to the bumper?

The principle is always (no matter what voltage or whether AC/DC), that the protection device's current rating should be lower than that of the conductor.

As for the short ciruit in water, I would not be too concerned unless it is salt water. Just seal the cable entry side of it and get something to plug the business end with.

My suggestion is to put a main fuse on the second battery to protect it from overcurrent, then from there split into 2 circuits each with its' own fuse....50A for the compressor if it doesn't have it's own fuse and maybe 50A on the cable going to the bumper, but the latter is really optional IMO. It all depends on your application at the rear bumper.
subok
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by subok »

Thanks Stef. I did not even think about protecting the compressor! I have removed the crocodile clips and fitted a bh connector. It is then plugged into the bh connector on the bumper when required.

george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Velddrif
Vehicle: Triton 3.5l V6
Club VHF Licence: HC107

Post by george »

Kobus maybe another idea is to make up a second cable with a BH plug and crocodile clips.than if you need to use it on another vehicle you can still use the Clips
"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.-Saint Augustine"
subok
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by subok »

Yes George, good idea. Will see if i still have them. Thanks!

Aquanaut
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Durban
Vehicle: Hilux 3.0D4D

Post by Aquanaut »

george wrote:Kobus maybe another idea is to make up a second cable with a BH plug and crocodile clips.than if you need to use it on another vehicle you can still use the Clips
Yes, exactly what I did to mine. All my electrical appliances, compressor, lead lights, fridge/freezer, battery charger have all been adapted in this way, the original plugs plus a BH plug.

Return to “Recovery Equipment”