Our Venture Down or Up to Hogsback

Tell us about your recent trip. Please add some photographs.
SYRON CONVERSIONS
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Tamboekieland
Vehicle: SFA HILUX

Our Venture Down or Up to Hogsback

Post by SYRON CONVERSIONS »

Hogsback is +- 130km from Queenstown, there are a few ways to get there, just depends from where you are driving, from Queenstown you take the road to Cathcart, then the road to Nico Malan Pass, but turn off about 4km out of Cathcart and travel along this gravel road for about 40km, do not turn off anywhere, this road will take you directly into Hogback, just follow the road signs.

From East London you take the road towards King Williams Town, then the road to Alice, just as you enter Alice you will see a road marked Hogsback to your right, follow this road and it will also take you up into Hogsback.

From Port Elizabeth you take the road towards Fort Beaufort, then the road to Seymor, in Seymor you will see the road marked Hogsback, this road is also gravel, it twists and winds it's way up into the mountains, it is recommemded that caravans are not suitable for this road.

So Hogsback is basically a little village up in The Amatola Mountains, snow is found there during winter, there are many "arty type people living there" you will find Anton who has his pottery business called Starways, Anton uses Black Wattle wood to fire his kilns when he bakes his pottery.

Then there is another guy who makes wrought iron products, candle stick holders, this guy really does an excellent job, I think his name is Tim.
There are many hotels, bed and breakfast cottages and it would be best for you to visit their web site to see what is on offer.

There is a very nice new camping and caravan site, run by a chap from JHB somewhere, very clean and well looked after.

We also drove a nice 4x4 route not sign posted but ask the chap at the caravan park for info.

Here are a few photo's that we took when we were there.

This photo shows you Hogsback village from above we had walked up to the top of one of the mountains.

This is one of the small cottages that we stayed in while we were visiting Hogsback over Easter Weekend on a propety known as Bubuhle this is a 15 hectar piece of land with four cottages on it, it is owned by John and Dug, very "nice" chaps as well, lots of fire wood for the indoor fire places which is for free, Dug and John make you very welcome. We stayed in Heron this time round.

We stopped at this river crossing along the way from Cathcart to try for some trout, becasue in all these rivers in this area, Trout, yellow fish and bass can be caught.

Beautiful Hey :?: Imagehttp://snap33.photobox.co.uk/19727797a6 ... 84.jpg[img]

This path took us to The Big Tree This tree is one of the biggest Yellow Wood Trees in South Africa.

My young wife Miche'le.

We had just walked through this valley below, starting from the far left side of this photo, taking a path through this area of about 6km.

Not sure what this tree is called, but it sure has an unusual type of bark.

Let me know if you want more info about Hogsback, in The Eastern Cape, A lovely place to just mellow out, get back to nature and meet many interesting people, just for interest, some of the places allow dogs. :)
1992 Slightly Modified Hilux, 2008 VW Caddy panelvan work, 2010 Isuzu 2.5 td bakkie for work, a pair of big 'balloons' as well hanging at the rear of my Hilux

simoan
andrewbuch
Town: port alfred
Vehicle: Bmw & Pajero

Re: Our Venture Down or Up to Hogsback

Post by andrewbuch »

Hi, i was just wondering if you could supply me with as much info on 4x4 trails in and around hogs bak, as i am planning a trip there and wanna do my homework before i go.

thanks so much

andrew
Niel
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 2014, DC, D4D 3.0, 4x4

Post by Niel »

It looks very peaceful out there. As they say I wish I was there.

Most 4x4 chaps don't walk that far they argue that, that is why they have 4x4’s. :D :D :D I am sure the Toy could have done the 6km :?: :D :D
SYRON CONVERSIONS
Town: Tamboekieland
Vehicle: SFA HILUX

Post by SYRON CONVERSIONS »

Hi, there basically are not really many 4x4 trails around Hogsback, however depending what vehicle you drive, you can explore like what we did, and depending if it has rained or not, the rain will make things more interesting.

If you do go to Hogsback, go around to The "new' caravan and camping place, it is on your left as you come up the hill from Alice, a very nice guy, he has a yellow TJ Jeep Wrangler, he told me that he was planning some 4x4 trails, but do not know if he got things off the ground.

But if you go out along the road that goes down past The Hogsback Inn, follow this gravel road, it goes past Swallows Tail waterfalls stop entry point, then carry on, it then goes past Hobbiton, carry on, it then goes past Mc Donald & Child waterfall stop entry point, carry it, then you will come to a dam, just before the dam, you get a turn off to the left, follow this road, this road will take you basically up the mountain in front of you, which then comes out on one of The Hogsback mountains, this trail is very scenic, it winds itself up into the forest plantations, pine trees, there is one section that has overhanging pine branches, but not too much of a problem, some wild bramble bushes as well.

Where it comes out, you will see a so called 4x4 sign, that says that there is a 4x4 trail futher on, this is not a 4x4 trail, just a scenic drive on a gravel road, the person who thought it was a 4x4 trail, must have been smoking grass when he or she put up the signs :roll: :lol:

Then just explore, drive anywhere where you do not see any NO ENTRY SIGNS OR LOCKED GATES.

Have Fun, be careful of the ticks.
1992 Slightly Modified Hilux, 2008 VW Caddy panelvan work, 2010 Isuzu 2.5 td bakkie for work, a pair of big 'balloons' as well hanging at the rear of my Hilux

simoan
andrewbuch
Town: port alfred
Vehicle: Bmw & Pajero

Post by andrewbuch »

thanks so much.

Return to “Trip Reports”