4Y 2.2 Backfiring / missing

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
barnicle
Town: Sandton
Vehicle: hilux double cab

4Y 2.2 Backfiring / missing

Post by barnicle »

Hi All
I wonder if anyone can help me with the following problem.
My Hilux 2.2 4Y motor started miss firing, back firing and running on 3 cylinders after being used continuously at low speeds ( less than 30km ) not always in low or 4x4 ratio.Especially when cold.
I checked the timing ( 9 deg BTDC ) serviced the carb and replace all the necessary parts, with no effect.
Check the spark and found that the number 2 cylinder and sometimes number 3 cylinder made very little difference when spark plug lead was removed, although they both had a spark. The plugs were black and obviously not working well.
I replaced all the leads and the plugs went well for 1-2 days, then back to backfiring and missing when cold and plugs black.
I have now redone the head with new valves, guides and seals. Still Backfires immediately. Vehicle NOT smoking or using oil so don,t suspect oil rings. Each time new plugs used vehicle runs well but backfires, untill stands for a day then miss fires and runs on 3 cylinders. Help please!!
Ou Legend
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Kuruman
Vehicle: 1987 Hilux SFA 4x4

Re: 4Y 2.2 Backfiring / missing

Post by Ou Legend »

Klink vir my na jou coilpack wat foutief is.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
The true measure of a man is not how he behaves in moments of comfort and convenience but how he stands at times of controversy and challenges
barnicle

Post by barnicle »

Dankie Ek kyk daarna
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

Did u check distributer cap and roter?
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
barnicle

Post by barnicle »

Yes have replace distributer cap, but not the roter as it looked ok.
LouisZ
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux D/C 1996

Post by LouisZ »

1st off,

Is the Firing order ok? Should be 1342.

Is it the old dizzy with points? Set points

Timing could be high, go down to about 7.

Rotors you have to check at the tip, if it is burned you get a weak spark. Look for it, right at the tip you wil see unevenness, this cause it to act as an insulator.
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Something that you mention in that the problem remains specific to the same one or two cylinders despite having replaced plugs, leads and dizzy cap. If it were the coil it's more likely that it misfires intermittently across all the cylinders. This leads me to think that there is a problem with the cylinder itself. I know you said you did head and valves (were the valves ground into the seats?), but have you done a compression test across all 4 cylinders? If the compression is weak on that cylinder (could be a broken piston ring) then it will be the one to start misfiring first. The black plug indicates that it's burning rich or not at all (especially if it's wet when removing it straight after running the motor). Poor compression could also cause poor combustion, so even if it's not misfiring all the time, the plug would still be black. Do the compression test, not difficult, and it will at least eliminate or confirm a mechanical fault rather than an electrical one. ;-)
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Hoppy
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Hilux SFA & IFS

Post by Hoppy »

Do a dry and wet compression test or a cylinder leak test first, if it checks out ok, check the following;

1. The choke might be set to rich, this will kill the plugs and cause the black fouling.

2. The oil pump pressure valve is stuck, to high oil pressure will "pump the lifters up" so that the valves doesn't seal, as soon as the engine oil gets hot and the pressure drops and they seal again, replace it with a genuine Toyota pump.
aev@iburst.co.za
The trouble with trouble is...it always starts as fun.
The most precious jewels you will ever wear around your neck is the arms of your children...
" I WOULD RATHER SIT ON THE TAILGATE OF MY HILUX WITH A BEER AND A CHOP, WATCHING A FIRE, THAN DINE IN THE BEST RESTAURANT IN TOWN "
barnicle

Post by barnicle »

Firing order correct.
Rotor not burned and clean.
Points replaced with electronic system.
Timing reset to 7deg, improved but still missing when idling and backfires now and then. Has effected power or my imagination.
Choke checked - seems to be working ok.
Checked cylinders for scoring when head was off so hopefully no broken rings.
Valves and seats were ground in by reputable engineering firm.
Not sure how to check oil pump pressure valve??? possibly just replace.
Agree that compression needs to be checked before moving on. What is the best gauge to buy??
Thanks to all for the input and ideas will post report on compression as soon as I have obtained a gauge.
Muz
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Randburg
Vehicle: Hilux 2.4 Raider, Suzuki SJ413, Landcruiser FJ40

Post by Muz »

hi Donald

I could have a look with you sometime, not that far from Sandton. had a similar issue with a 88'carolla engine last week or two. recon'd the head, going like a rocket now. If you need help buzz me 082 857 2208
barnicle

Post by barnicle »

Thanks for the kind offer Murray

The vehicle is however in Hoedspruit. Hence the slow action, as I only get there once a month. I may call if not successful once I've tried all the options at the end of the month.
willem2013
Town: kzn matuba
Vehicle: 2.2multiwagon gwm

Post by willem2013 »

Hi I have a problem on a 2.2gwm with the 4y in and it was backfiring and it was like surging and now there is no spark what can be the the problem not geting spark please help

Return to “The Workshop”