Mabuasehube 2013

Tell us about your recent trip. Please add some photographs.
ThysdJ
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Mabuasehube 2013

Post by ThysdJ »

It was time to break free again.. and to answer the call of the wild... After a lot of planning and research we finally got all our stuff together for a fantastic break-away to the Botswana side of Kgalagadi TFP. :thumbup:

Our initial plan was to go in thru the RSA side of the park but getting hold of any kind of campsite on "our" side proved to be completely impossible. We managed to book 4 nights on the BW side, 3 at Mpaya-1 and 1 and Mabua-4. This was easy, and the people from the BW side are very friendly and helpful. After much to-ing and fro-ing we decided to ditch the RSA side all together and go straight to the BW side. :wave:

In order to do this we planned our itinerary thus:
Get to McCarthy's Rest
Get to Mabuasehube via Tsabong
Get to Kang via Hukuntsi
Get to Gobabis via Ghanzi
and then make our way home... along the roads less traveled.. or in our case the roads hardly ever traveled.. :twisted: :twisted:

Traveling from Cape Town to McCarthy's was a long haul, so we decided to visit SKA country! One night in Carnavon. We have been there before, and had coffee in the Lemon Tree coffee shop, but we never slept over, and here was the perfect opportunity. From there it would be another day's drive to get to the border.

The plan was to spend 2 nights at the Cullinan Guest Farm approx 7km from the McCarthy's Rest border post. We wanted to do this to try out our camping gear and getting into the groove... and also to make sure we didnt forget anything at home. We live in a house most of the time, so getting used to tent-camping takes a day or 2.. :silent: :silent:

After that we had no real hard and fast plans.. Get into the "Park", check out the lions and stuff, get out, and sleep somewhere near Kang, then go check out Gobabis... :wave:

The unplanned events are the best ones... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

To be continued... pics are still uploading..

Oh.. here's a taster... it was COLD!!
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
Hoppy
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Hilux SFA & IFS

Re: Mabuasehube 2013

Post by Hoppy »

Ek dog julle het ver gery, daai's naby Worcester?
aev@iburst.co.za
The trouble with trouble is...it always starts as fun.
The most precious jewels you will ever wear around your neck is the arms of your children...
" I WOULD RATHER SIT ON THE TAILGATE OF MY HILUX WITH A BEER AND A CHOP, WATCHING A FIRE, THAN DINE IN THE BEST RESTAURANT IN TOWN "
Ultred
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Heidelberg
Vehicle: '00 Hilux 2.7i D/Cab IFS.
Club VHF Licence: HC108

Post by Ultred »

Ill get my chance, one day. Your planning looks and sounds great. Have some good fun. :okay: :goodjob:
I MAY GET LOST, BUT NO WAY IN HELL WILL I GET STUCK
ThysdJ

Post by ThysdJ »

Hoppy wrote:Ek dog julle het ver gery, daai's naby Worcester?
Mens kan sien jy is 'n ex-valie.. daai is buite Ceres.. :twisted: :twisted:
Thys de Jager

ThysdJ

Post by ThysdJ »

Day 1 - 31 August 2013

We left Brackenfell at 09h00 on a wet and cold Saturday morning. First stop was Ceres where we saw lots of snow around. Temperature was 6°C at 11h20 just before the Theronsberg pass.

Taking the R355 towards Calvinia we passed thru the Tankwa Karoo and stopped for a coffee at the Tankwa Farm Stall. Lots of people gathered around there, all on their way to the Hantam Vleisfees at Calvinia. It was still very cold.

On our way we saw cars and bakkies approaching from the front all splattered in mud, but the road we were on was dry. At first we thought it was just local farmers who had to deal with their we plaaspaadjies, but shortly after our lunch stop we saw the reason for the muddy vehicles.

The top 2 inches of the road surface was a slippery muddy sludge, and putting a wheel outside of the existing tracks saw the Hilux doing broadies and sliding all over the show. We slowed down to approx 30km/h just to keep the car on the road. Before long the whole Hilux was covered in mud.

We were relieved to hit the tar again just before Calvinia. At least now we could relax a little. The hills around the town also had a light dusting of snow, and it was bitterly cold. But the Hantam Vleisfesers had a good time by the look of things. Outside Calvinia we drove through a light hail shower, which washed some of the mud off the Hilux and left it with an ostrich leather look... First fuel stop was Williston and we got fresh 50ppm diesel.. times they are a-changin... :thumbup:

The rest of the way to Carnavon was pretty uneventful, late afternoon with the sun from behind we made quick time to get to SKA country. We spent the night at Ikhaya self catering cottages in town. Overnight temps plummeted and there was some frost on the ground the next morning.

TBC.....
Thys de Jager

ThysdJ

Post by ThysdJ »

Day 2 - 1 Sept 2013

After a very nice dinner at the Meerkat Restaurant in Carnavon we were ready for an early start. It was Sunday, and we were heading towards our first camping night of the trip, at Cullinan Guest Farm near McCarthy's. We had quite a long drive ahead of us so we were eager to get going.

As I said before there was frost around..

It became slightly warmer as we traveled north via Prieska. We crossed the might Orange River at the Frans Loots bridge.. built in 1970..

I am not saying a word... :twisted: :twisted:

Shortly after crossing the Orange River we turned off towards Griekwastad. The dirt roads were badly corrugated and full of loose stones. But our trusty Hilux took it on like a pro, smoothing out all the bumps and we poshed on past Griekwastad towards Postmasburg. Then approx 20km before Postmasburg I felt that there was something amiss. Right... Left rear tyre was flat, well not completely yet, it was still hissing.

We settled in for a repair job, got comfy and out came the compressor and the snot plugs. The tyre was cut quite badly by a stone right on the edge of the tread. Not wanting to go all the way and changing the tyre, I decided to plug it and see if it held out, at least until we got into town.

It lasted fine, and in town we filled up with some more nice 50ppm diesel, did a spot of last minute shopping at the Spar, I angled the mirror so I could check the state of the left rear tyre from time to time, and headed out towards Kathu, and McCarthy's.

About 30km outside of Postmasburg I looked back and saw that the left rear tyre was losing air again. We pulled over, and made quick plans. It seems that the puncture was too close to the edge of the tread to be fixed with a snot plug, and that the previous plug I put in was missing. Not wanting to venture out into the unknown with only 1 spare, we decided to plug the hole, only this time I needed 2 plugs to plug the hole... We headed back towards town. BUT we forgot one small detail... it was Sunday afternoon and everything was closed!!

We ended up sleeping over in Postmasburg. Finding overnight accommodation in Postmasburg on a Sunday is a nightmare, but we settled for a room at Andrisha Lodge and Motel, where we braaied a lekker steak and settled for a early night. This put us 1 day behind schedule, but we were having fun and nobody was complaining...

TBC .................
Thys de Jager

CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Post by CasKru »

Smaak die storie en prentjies kwaai sover.... keep going :)
To God be the glory
ThysdJ

Post by ThysdJ »

Day 3 - 2 Sept 2013

Monday morning saw us up and about bright and early and our first stop was TrenTyre. Here the young saleman was adamant that they cannot plug the tyre and was ready to sell me a replacement for a mere R2260.00. My reply was that we needed to remove the tyre from the rim anyway and that we should check to see what the damage looks like on the inside before we make any hasty (costly) decisions.

On the lift..

Once the tyre was off the rim it was clear that although it was a pretty big hole, it would be possible to plug it with a big mushroom plug. A guy called Lappies came over, checked it all out and agreed that the tyre was still usable. Luckily I never drove it "on the rim" so no sidewall damage occurred. I told them to go ahead, and 30 minutes later, and R125 poorer we were on our way again. Included in the R125 was 4 spare mushroom plugs for future use. By now we were quite gatvol of driving up and down the main road of Postmasburg, and I think the locals were getting gatvol of us too. :twisted: :twisted:

From Postmasburg it was tar road all the way past Kathu and Hotazel. We breezed thru these towns, had a quick look around and before long we were back on the dirt roads. The weather was getting nice and warm as well.

Still holding out..

Cowboy Country.... with air guns..

When we arrived at Cullinan, there was nobody home. We drove to the camp site, and found it open. There was cellphone reception so I called the owner of the farm, who said they were on their way somewhere but she would send somebody to sort us out. We had the entire place to ourselves. We quickly set up camp and relaxed in the warm afternoon sun.

Campsite at Cullinan Guest Farm

Die Boskantoor

Ablutions

Stook die donkie..

One of the bungalows has a nice lapa so we decided that we'll have a braai there, as there was light and a washing-up basin.

Relaxing in the lapa

Sunset...

Lights out on another day on the road... tomorrow we hit the border and lion country...

TBC...
Thys de Jager

Thunder02
Town: East Rand
Vehicle: IFS Hilux
Club VHF Licence: HC105

Post by Thunder02 »

:clap: :clap: :clap:
Hope not as bad as Voetspore,were we have to wait an whole week for the next episode :tease:
Not all those who wander are lost!

Scout motto:be prepared....
www.4x4direct.co.za
Email: boksburg@4x4direct.co.za
IFS is like a swambo, soft, sexy and expensive!
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Good start! :thumbup: Waiting and watching. ..... I notice the 'blond' has undergone an appearance modification! :D:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Hoppy
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Hoppy »

Can you imagine how long the story would take if he took the Jeep, he would still be halfway looking for spares...
aev@iburst.co.za
The most precious jewels you will ever wear around your neck is the arms of your children...
" I WOULD RATHER SIT ON THE TAILGATE OF MY HILUX WITH A BEER AND A CHOP, WATCHING A FIRE, THAN DINE IN THE BEST RESTAURANT IN TOWN "
Thunder02

Post by Thunder02 »

Hoppy wrote:Can you imagine how long the story would take if he took the Jeep, he would still be halfway looking for spares...
:laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2:

www.4x4direct.co.za
ThysdJ

Post by ThysdJ »

Day 4 - 3 Sept 2013

We woke up packed all our stuff and headed out for the border. The crossing was painless and quick and before we knew it we were driving on tar again.

We drove to Tsabong, where we filled up with 500ppm diesel. I also filled the 2 jerries on the roof, just as a precaution. Last minute shopping which included 2 bags of charcoal brickets (just in case we needed some coals) and a quick look-see if Barclays Bank would allow me to withdraw Pulas with my bank card. No problems, we were sorted! The people in Tsabong were friendly and helpful, and a lot of them spoke Afrikaans as well.

We took the Mabuasehube turn-off in town, and I realised that somehow I erased the T4A BW map from the GPS the night before. At the time it wasnt a real problem, but after a while we noticed that the road was not very well sign posted, so out came the laptop and I loaded the correct mapsets. The dirt road was quite good for about 50km, and then it turned into a swingy, bumpy, rutted sand track which had to be driven at speeds of slower than 30km/h for stretches. The sand was incredibly soft and heavy and even on deflated tyres I sometimes had to go down to 3rd gear to keep the whole rig going. Thank goodness I wasnt towing a trailer.

Checking into Mabuasehube was a very quick affair, and before we know it we were on the sand track on our way to Mapaya Pan.

We arrived at our campsite and set up camp. We had one of the prime spots. Mpaya-1, where the lions camp. Of course we were pretty much on edge, so we tried to secure the camp as much as we could.

Needless to say, we made dinner, showered, and got ready for bed before the sun set below the horizon. The we nervously sat around watching a brown hiena trundling past our fire about 10 meters away. At about 20h00 we were in the RTT listeneing to the night noises.

Nothing much happened that night, it was peaceful and quiet... and we had a good night's sleep...

TBC...

PS The Jeep would never have gotten us there and back... Nedbank would have run out of funds to pay for the fuel bill at Calvinia already... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Now stay focused please guys, this is a Hilux story, all about fuel efficiency and "reliability"... dont confuse it with a Jeep thing which is all about adrenalin, high revs and petrol fumes.... :twisted: :twisted:
Thys de Jager

george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Velddrif
Vehicle: Triton 3.5l V6
Club VHF Licence: HC107

Post by george »

Lekker man.Hoe is dit om in die RTT te slaap.Het jy 'n oredentlike matras gehad.
"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.-Saint Augustine"
ThysdJ

Post by ThysdJ »

My RTT se matrassie is lekker comfy Jorsie... gebruik hom al jarre.. :twisted: :twisted: Maar ek gaan 'n nuwe ene laat maak.. Weet nog net nie waar nie.. :silent: :silent:
Thys de Jager

Hoppy
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Hoppy »

ThysdJ wrote:Cowboy Country.... with air guns..
Waar het jy ge-mik?

Lyk mooi sover, nou wag ons vir vers 3
aev@iburst.co.za
ThysdJ

Post by ThysdJ »

Day 5 - 4 Sept 2013

The day breaks bright and sunny, and we have our first visitor.

Our bookings were a bit jumbled, so we had to move camp today to Mabuasehube Pan (Mabua 4). Also we realised that the charcoal makes a crappy fire, and we needed to go collect some firewood. So we had a busy day ahead of us, but luckily the distances are short.

As we near Mabua Pan we came across this poor soul. Looks like he has been abandoned for a few days already.

We pitched our camp at the Mabua campsite, and unloaded some of the "heavy" stuff and set off towards the entrance gate to collect firewood outside the park. On our way around Mabua Pan we came across a couple in a Pajero who told us of a group of lions lying under the trees on the Khiding Pan road. Not on our way, but we decided to make the detour anyway. We were not disappointed!!

This is what we came for!! Absolutely awesome, and the photos (and my crappy photographic skills) dont do them justice!!

After collecting a sizable amount of firewood on a cutline about 2km outside the park we stopped off at the East Gate camp for a piepie break. They have running water and flush loo's here.

The solar geiser was designed by the same guy who designed the fly-overs in Cape Town. The pipes don't quite meet up!!..

Back at our campsite we lounged around, relaxed a little and in the afternoon we baked some bread.

After dinner, nice fresh bread and a braai, it was lights out time again. We were not as nervous here as we were at Mpaya, because all our research showed that lion movement at Mabua was very limited. Nonetheless we were ever vigilant and shortly after dark we looked up the safety of our RTT.

So far we were having a ball! Mabuasehube did not disappoint, we saw our first lions, and we are settling into the whole camping routine nicely.

TBC............
Thys de Jager

ThysdJ

Post by ThysdJ »

A quick pictorial lesson on how to keep the Kalahari dust out of your hair. Presented by an expert in the field.

You need a Buff, a cap and a bit of attitude...

Now you know!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Thys de Jager

Hoppy
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Hoppy »

Nou raak ek meer jaloers
aev@iburst.co.za
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by george »

ThysdJ wrote:My RTT se matrassie is lekker comfy Jorsie... gebruik hom al jarre.. :twisted: :twisted: Maar ek gaan 'n nuwe ene laat maak.. Weet nog net nie waar nie.. :silent: :silent:
Ek het myne laat maak by 'n ou in Durbanville.Langs Durbanville Postnet.75mm high density met 'n 25mm sagte spons dat hy nie so hard is nie.Bietjie duur maar yster.Veral vir ons dikkes
"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.-Saint Augustine"
Hoppy
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Hoppy »

george wrote:Veral vir ons dikkes
:lol:

Ek vat sommer twee matrasse saam vir kamp, daar's mos altyd n donnnerse bultjie wat is waar hy nie moet wees nie, ek bly op die grond, julle flat-bewoners het nie daai probleem nie.
aev@iburst.co.za
Hoppy
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Hoppy »

george wrote:Veral vir ons dikkes
:lol:

Ek vat sommer twee matrasse saam vir kamp, daar's mos altyd n donnnerse bultjie wat is waar hy nie moet wees nie, ek bly op die grond, julle flat-bewoners het nie daai probleem nie.
aev@iburst.co.za
ThysdJ

Post by ThysdJ »

Hoppy wrote:Nou raak ek meer jaloers
Oor die hare?? :twisted: :twisted:
Thys de Jager

Hoppy
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Hoppy »

Nee die trip, moenie stir nie, jy weet mos my shares is laag.

Volgende jaar maak Werner klaar met skool, dan's dit my beurt vir n laaaang trip.
aev@iburst.co.za
ThysdJ

Post by ThysdJ »

Hoppy wrote:Nee die trip, moenie stir nie, jy weet mos my shares is laag.

Volgende jaar maak Werner klaar met skool, dan's dit my beurt vir n laaaang trip.
Ry jy met Luxter dan ry ek met die Jeep... :twisted: :twisted:
Thys de Jager

ThysdJ

Post by ThysdJ »

Day 6 - 5 Sept 2013

Once again we are up and about just after dawn. It is a warm morning, and we need to break up camp again. Back to Mpaya-1 where we came from.

Our solar showerbag finds the perfect home, on the bonnet, where the sun heats it from the top and the engine from below. This is the first time we used a solar shower and it worked great! The water was warm anough for a nice shower and we managed to squeeze more than 2 showers out of the 20 liter bag. In the end we managed 2 showers each on one bag of water.

We drove up the Khiding Pan road again to look for the pride of lions we saw the previous day, but they moved on. Here is the turn-off towards Nossob on the RSA side of Kgalagadi.

As we neared Mpaya Pan 2 ladies in a Prado came from the front and we started chatting. There was a pride of lions up ahead, blocking the road. They managed to squeeze past. The lions just killed a gemsbok and was busy eating. We were very excited!! About 3km further up the road, this is what we saw!

After sitting there watching them for about an hour, they cleared the road and as we drove off this little one waved goodbye... See ya later!!

This was exactly 1.9km from where we would be camping for the next 2 days.

Excitement mounted as we set up camp. We knew they would be passing thru our campsite that nite, as the water hole is right on the other side of our campsite. And anybody who has ever had a belly full of gemsbok on a warm sunny day, will know how thirsty that makes you!!

We planned our setup better this time, blocking off the one entrance to the A-frame using the Hilux with the RTT entrance easily accessible from inside the barricade. It was still early and we knew the cats wouldn't be coming along any time soon, so we relaxed a little, but we kept an eye on the road.

I even had to to set the solar panels up to charge the deep cycle battery

And out field expert had time to shave her legs for the occasion. The ground squirrels were amazed at the sight and called all their little friends to come and watch...

Every now and then people came along and asked us if we knew about the lions. That way we got feedback on their position until late in the afternoon. We made a fire on the open side of the A-frame, had a braai.

Once again we were ready for bed by the time the sun set, and as I walked towards the back of the A-frame something told me to look up...... There he was, etched against the evening skyline. A young male lion waiting for the rest of the pride to come along the road. Barely 20m away from me. I got ice cold from head to toe, and told E to move her freshly shaven legs and get in the RTT. In a flash we were up there, adrenalin pumping. By now it was quite dark, and as she shone the flashlight up the road we saw the eyes reflecting the light. I only managed to get 2 shots off with the camera in all the confusion.. It was such a rush, sitting there on the RTT ladder with the lions walking past me barely 5m away. All in all we counted 12 lions in the pride....

And as soon as it started it was over again. They disappeared into the bushes towards the water hole. All night long they were roaring, grunting and snoring less that 200m away from us. This was the highlight of our whole trip so far! We didnt sleep much that night...

TBC...............
Thys de Jager

Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

Geez Thys, you're braver than me - I would have locked myself in the Hilux, not the RTT... I would have made a nice meal for those cats.

This is like reading a Thriller - next episode please?

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by george »

Sjoe Thysie. Ek sal darm self my boeglam skrik as hulle so naby is. Awsome storie
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

:thumbup: :thumbup: Keep it coming! ;-)

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
ThysdJ

Post by ThysdJ »

I can promise you guys, I have never been this nervous in my life.... and excited at the same time. It felt like I was driving a side-slope of 30 degress all day long for 3 days so far. Cassie can do the sound effects.. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Thys de Jager

ThysdJ

Post by ThysdJ »

Day 7 - 6 Sept 2013

Rest day at Mpaya-1. We decided because of all the to-ing and fro-ing of the past few days that we were going to hang around the A-frame all day long and spend time with the little guys. It's not all about the lions you know? Anyway they're such a noisy bunch we hardly slept a wink the night before with all their gallivanting in the bushes at all hours.. Who do they think they are?? The king of the jungle?? :twisted: :twisted:

Some of the tracks thru our camp the next morning...

See the grey-green bush on the left? See the little hill beside the bush, next to the road? That is where the bugger stood when I first became aware of them the night before....

Anyway, the lions were down at the water hole, we could see them with our binoculars, but they were too far away to photograph. We walked around the campsite a bit more and found this interesting tree. It looks like the trunk gets climbed regularly by some big cat, and on the flat branches to the left it looks like there was some kind of "nest" with grass padding. Could this tree be a base camp for a leopard? From this tree the view over the pan is spectacular, a perfect place to spy on potential prey? I dont know leopards well enough, maybe somebody can help us out here...

Our field expert also had time to wash her hair.. "just because were camping does not mean we have to live like savages"... :twisted: :twisted:

Herds of blue wildebeest crossed the pan during the day. On their way to the water hole, despite the lions being there..

And the vultures also came out to play...

Besides the occasional roar from the bushes we didnt have any more lion action at Mpaya-1. But it didnt mean we let our guard down. It was back into the same old routine.

Shower-hour at Mpaya-1

Damn she's quick!!

The little one came out to say goodnight..

And another perfect sunset on a relaxing Kalahari day...

TBC.............
Thys de Jager

Haboob
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: King Williams Town
Vehicle: Hilux
Club VHF Licence: HC129

Post by Haboob »

Great Trip Report so fat, Thanks for Sharing
HABOOB means "Dust Storm"
Ultred
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Heidelberg
Vehicle: '00 Hilux 2.7i D/Cab IFS.
Club VHF Licence: HC108

Post by Ultred »

Enjoying this way to much. Reading this thread on the one page and doing a camping gear budget on the other page.
Thanks for the awesome feedback of your trip. Keep it going.
I MAY GET LOST, BUT NO WAY IN HELL WILL I GET STUCK
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Haboob wrote:Great Trip Report so fat, Thanks for Sharing
That's a bit harsh, Edge .... Thysie's actually lost a bit of weight! :D:

ThysdJ

Post by ThysdJ »

Days 8 & 9 - 7/8 Sept 2013

And so dawn breaks over our last day at this magical place. We thoroughly enjoyed our 4 days in Mabuasehube, even though we were scared witless most of the time, We will most definitely return, and stay longer, because it is well worth it.

Once we broke up camp a very sick sounding dark blue 1989 Hilux D/C pulled up and out jumped a German couple. The guy was looking for water for the radiator. Water was pouring out the bottom of the radiator. he opened the bonnet and I saw that a 5MGE motor was fitted and that water was pushing out from the radiator cap. One engine mounting was non existent and the air-intake pipe was patched with duct tape. Wonderful stuff that!! The tap at our campsite was dry, so I sent him off to the Scout Camp about 2km up the road, where there were water tanks.

We got going and at the gate we turned towards the north following a very wide sand road, and we made very good progress. About 30km before Hukuntsi the road took a turn for the worst. Potholes and ruts like you wont believe, but we took the sand track on the side, whice was not too bad. From Hukuntsi we were on tar again, all the way to Kang. At Kang we filled up with 500ppm diesel and I paid with my credit card. It was Saturday afternoon so all shops were closed. We were badly in need of some Vicks nasal spray, because our noses were blocked from the dust and the dry wind and we needed something to loosen the lot up. No luck here..

From Kang we continued north on the Trans kalahari Highway and stopped in at Kalahari Rest about 20km north of Kang. We got a nice campsite, and there were hot and cold running water, and flush toilets. We were very excited. Just a pity that the wind was getting a bit much. This dry northerly wind has been blowing in the afternoons for 2 days now. Mostly it was fine, but from time to time it came in quite strong gusts, blowing sand and dust into everything.

We baked some bread again and had a late night watching the stars. Something we were to scared to do in Mabuasehube.

We woke up the next morning and decided to stay another night... and we did.. we were alone in the entire campsite, and had the whole place to ourselves. While I was checking out the fridge in the morning to make sure everything was still frozen I noticed the left rear tyre was flat again. So Lappies's plug lasted all of 700km's. It was time for the spare to come on. Because we werent stuck next to the road, I took my time to change the wheel, but in the process the Hilux got a scratch from the Hi-Lift jack. Right on the side of the tailgate. Battle-scars.. Jacking up a fully loaded Hilux with any kind of jack is not an easy task, but it had to be done.

During the afternoon the wind came up and our little dome tent said, "Enough!!" and promptly snapped one of its fibreglass poles. To top this the zip on the dome tent also decided that it didnt like the sand in its teeth and split wide open. Down came the tent and the fibreglass pole got "splinted" like a broken leg. The zipper we could not fix so we tried to close it up as much as we could.

What was supposed to be a "rest day" turned into a work day and we went to bed tired.

TBC............
Thys de Jager

Taljaag
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Secunda
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 3D4D

Post by Taljaag »

Thys nice report.The campsite at Khang is realy nice.Sleep over in 2012 on my why to Namibia.

Life is Easy.....! It's the freakin' people that make it difficult!
ThysdJ

Post by ThysdJ »

Day 10 & 11 - 9 & 10 Sept 2013

The wind was getting to us and we packed up in a hurry at Kalahari Rest. Under different circumstances it is a very nice place to stay, but we were moving on.

North again towards Ghanzi. Not that we wanted to do anything major in Ghanzi, we were only having a little bit of a look-see. We saw the beat up blue Hilux at a garage in Ghanzi, but by the time I got our Hilux turned around and managed to dodge some taxi's and pedestrians, a goat and 4 chickens, he was gone again.

I withdrew some Pulas for future use, and we had lunch alongside the road at the CKGR turn-off. We seriously contemplated taking that turn-off.... Back to the Trans Kalahari Highway, and we headed out west towards the Namibian border. Not much happening for the rest of the way, except that the border crossing was once again very quick and easy. Once over the border in Namibia, at Buitepos we found 50ppm diesel, not that we needed any, but a fellow Hiluxer from Lydenburg with a D4D filled up there.

We made our way to Zelda Game and Guest Farm, where we booked into a room... and a little bit of white sheets luxury... and sit down dinner, with grilled kudu fillets, gemsbok meatballs, sweet potatoes, veggies etc etc and a few drinks with our new friends from Lydenburg...

The next day after a hearty breakfast, we had our laundry done by the friendly Zelda staff and took off to Gobabis (or Go-Babies) as we called it, to have the Hilux cleaned and to buy some meat, billies and droee wors. The guys at Spandiens really had their work cut out for them to rid the Hilux from the mud we have been carting along from Ceres/Calvinia. But they employed their high pressure washer, and soon the Hilux was sparkling white again. We got our meat supplies from Die Plaaskombuis, and with all that excitement we were on our way back to Zelda.

Zelda is a really nice place. The owners created a real oasis in the middle of nothing. They have a very neat and tidy camp site with electricity, running water and lawn under some thorn trees for shade. We enjoyed our stay here, and will be back for sure.

Thys de Jager

ThysdJ

Post by ThysdJ »

The last few days..

After Zelda we wanted to challenge ourselves a bit again. Drive from Zelda to Koes in the south without driving through a single town. A distance of 550km. We had enough diesel to cover the distance, and enough padkos, water, clothes (all clean now) meat, and drinks to last us 4 days if not more... So we plotted a route as close to the Namibian border as possible. I'll have to upload the GPS file, because I cannot really describe it in words. The roads we travelled on ranged from fairly okay dirt roads to 2-spoor sand tracks to really bumpy and corrugated farm tracks with about 30 gates to open and close along the way.

The scenery was spectacular. We were travelling on the road never travelled, let alone less travelled. Only the local farmers use these roads. Rest asured, the road we were on are all public roads. Not once did we venture onto private land. We ended up driving down the Nossob River bed. When we got to a place called Twee Rivier, we took a left in stead of a right... wrong!! Our Garmin has been acting up a little and started rebooting every now and then and somehow lost the route I programmed into it. But once we got to Twee Rivier I was confident that we would find our way to the farm. I need some more experience, okay? The first sign post we saw in ages told us that we are headed towards Mata-Mata, which is in the complete wrong direction. But there was a 2-spoor sand track leading off to our right. We took it.. and we ended up driving approx 70km along the best sand tracks in existence on the planet.

The best gate in Namibia!!

We were WAY behind schedule, we were out of fuel, but we didnt care... Somewhere along the way we had to refuel from the jerries on the roof, and we made the farm with only enough juice left to get us to Koes, 40km away.

Sundowners on a dune..

After spending 2 nights with family on the farm we decided that we didnt want to go home yet, so we packed for Rosh Pinah, where E's cousin lives. We filled up at Koes with 500ppm. It was a long drive to Rosh Pinah, but on good roads. In Keetmanshoop we stopped for some family business, bought lunch, called home, and tackled the tar roads. With the cruise control set at 120km/h we went past the Fish River, Goageb and eventually Aus, where we turned off. 166km from that point and about 200 mining trucks from the front we pulled into Rosh Pinah. Groot braai wereld!!

We were only going to stay for 1 night, but we were convinced to watch the Bokke play the All Blacks on Saturday morning, and then we were convinced to stay and watch WP play the Bulls... at the Lodge.. bad decision.. really bad.. The Four Seasons Lodge in Rosh Pinah is the place that a few years ago held the record for the highest consumption of Jagermeister... IN THE WORLD!!! Oh my WORD!! And seeing as WP won, and I was the only WP supporter in the bar, everybody bought Jagermeisters to congratultae me and to drown their sorrows.... Long story short, we got home way too late that nite...

In stead of leaving Rosh Pinah the next morning at 08h00 to cross the border at Sendelingsdrift, we only got away at about noon. Way too late!! We filled up again with 50ppm diesel. Crossing the border was once again an easy affair, and putting the life jacket onto my potsierlike lyfie was more of a hassle than the ride on the pontoon.. I was still busy tying the straps when the guys came to collect it.

From Sendelingsdrift we headed south towards Lekkersing, and hit the Port Nolloth/Steinkopf tar road. From there it was plain sailing until we hit the N7, and, of course, road works!!

There's not much I can say about the drive from Steinkopf to Klawer. The N7 is as boring and predictable as a polititian's speech, but by the time we reached Klawer we were both ready for bed. Although we hoped to make it all the way to Cape Town we decided that the roadworks past Clanwilliam in the dark was not going to be a whole heap of fun so we found a bed for the night and slept over.

Not being in a hurry to get home the next morning, we took it easy over the mountain to Piketberg, stopped in at the Spur for a good brekkie and drove the last stretch home. We were both coming down with a cold, and it was raining and cold in Cape Town again. Almost like when we left...

16 days after we left, we hit the Cape of Storms again. We had a fantastic trip, and got much more than we bargained for. We been to places where we havent been before, and that is always good.

Will we do it again? At a moment's notice yes!!

Summaries and own impressions to follow. Also what worked and what didn’t….
Thys de Jager

Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

:thumbup: Colourful report Thys! Great pics and an entertaining / interesting read! :thumbup:

Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

Like Andy said, Thys! Have you started to pack already for your next trip? :mrgreen:

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

ThysdJ

Post by ThysdJ »

Family_Dog wrote:Like Andy said, Thys! Have you started to pack already for your next trip? :mrgreen:

-F_D
As a matter of fact I started that trip on Monday morning already.. It's called "the commute"... Back at work again, to earn some money for the next trip... :frustrated: :frustrated: :frustrated:
Thys de Jager

Niel
Vehicle: 2014, DC, D4D 3.0, 4x4

Post by Niel »

Nice report Thys en nou wil ek ook net inklim en ry - maak nie saak waarheen nie
ThysdJ

Post by ThysdJ »

Inside Mabuasehube:
We knew that there was no facilities at Mabuasehube, so we made sure we could sustain ourselves for the period we would be staying there.

Water:
There is water available from the East Gate campsite near the entrance gate. I would not drink it, unless it was an emergency, but it is good for washing and cleaning. We had 70 liters of wash-water and about 35 liters of drinking water on board, which ended up to be too much. At our campsite (Mpaya-1) there was also a tap at the basins with running water during the day. Because we didnt expect any water we didnt even check it, but our neighbours came to fill their water containers daily. At Mabua pan there was nothing, not even in the waterhole on the pan.

Toilets:
Each campsite does have a long-drop toilet. They are usable, but we had a checmical porta-potty.

A-Frames:
The guy who designed these things shoudl get a Nobel Prize. The A-Frames makes camping so much more convenient. It provides shelter and a certain amount of protection from the wilder members of the wildlife fraternity that frequents these places.

Campsites:
We only stayed at 2 campsites (Mpaya-1 and Mabua-4) and after having a look around these were really the prime spots. Campsites were clean, and we took all our rubbish out with us. There are rubbish bins, but they dont get cleaned out regularly.

Roads:
Sandy tracks, 4x4 not really required, and only closer to the gate does it become corrugated.

Overall Experience:
12 out of 10. We will be back, this is one of those places that speaks to the brain-stem. It was exciting and terrifying at the same time. Being that close to the big cats really defines our (humans) place in the bigger scheme of things. The campsites are not expensive. Our 4 nights cost us P460 and that included park and vehicle fees.
Thys de Jager

Niel
Vehicle: 2014, DC, D4D 3.0, 4x4

Post by Niel »

Daai is amper verniet - thanks Thys. n ander vraagie: het jy asb die kontak details waar julle bespreek het asb?
MOFASA
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Kempton Park
Vehicle: 1998 JEEP XJ 4.0............ 4 inch lift.... more mods to follow............ Old vehicle was MOFASA
Club VHF Licence: X119

Post by MOFASA »

Awsum write up....
Makes me want to go there too....
Will have to make a plan asap.... :thumbup: :thumbup:
Live Life in the FAST lane....
Forget the past, Embrace the FUTURE!!!!
To 4x4 or not to 4x4 thats the question....
IT'S A JEEP :yahoo: ..... You wouldn't understand....
ImageImageImage[rimg=206x128]
ThysdJ

Post by ThysdJ »

Niel our bookings were done thru DWNP at their Gaborone Reservations Office

Tel: (+267) 3180774 or 3971405
Fax: (+267) 3180775
Email: dwnp@gov.bw
Contact Person: Peggy Ncube

Please do not rely on their email system. it is down more than it is up. They can send but not receive..

Use the phones, but be patient, you might end up talking to Mavis, Martha or Peggy or somebody else. Once you managed to get hold of them, the ladies are very friendly and helpful.

We paid by faxing them a credit card authorization slip, which they processed promptly. About a week later we got our permit and proof of payment/receipt at home via snail mail. Those documents were needed to get into the park.
Thys de Jager

Haboob
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: King Williams Town
Vehicle: Hilux
Club VHF Licence: HC129

Post by Haboob »

Excellent Trip Report Thys. :clap: :clap: :clap: :thumbup: :subscribed:
HABOOB means "Dust Storm"
LouisZ
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux D/C 1996

Post by LouisZ »

Let you feel like to get into the 4x4 and start Driving! :siffler:
JEEPIE
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Roodepoort
Vehicle: Official hilux 4x4 club recovery vehicle
Club VHF Licence: X 43

Post by JEEPIE »

baie mooi daai
seker nie lekker om terug te wees nie ne ?
OFFICIAL HILUX 4x4 RECOVERY VEHICLE

if you want to change this to recovered , first recover me - and have a relevant picture / foto to prove it !
ADVANCED 4x4 DRIVER COURSES DONE : US 254135 / US 254154
(STILL AWAITING SO-CALLED TETA CERTIFICATION VIA THE SERVICE PROVIDER AFRICAN OFF-ROAD ACADEMY - WHAT A JOKE)
ThysdJ

Post by ThysdJ »

Other places we stayed at:

Carnavon
Ikaya Self Catering Cottages
A nice place to spend the night. Very neat, tidy and not outrageously expensive.

Postmasburg
Not much to say. R600 for a night in a motel room with nothing more than a shower and a toilet. Bit much, but we couldnt find anything else.

McCarthy's Rest
Cullinan Guest Farm.

Very nice campsites, ablutions are clean with warm and cold running water. Electricity points at the camp site as well as an under cover cement slab to pitch your tent. Only R80 per vehicle per night,

Kang
Kalahari Rest

P100 per person per night. Big campsites with wind breaks, Hot and cold running water in the ablutions. They had ice and firewood available free of charge.

Buitepost
Zelda Guest & Game Farm

They charge a lot for their rooms, we paid R440pppn including breakfast. We got a room the size of a ballroom with 1 double and 2 single beds. Their meals are very good and not too expensive. The barman is friendly and gave us good pointers on where to get meat and biltong in Gobabis. A real oasis in the wilderness.

Klawer - Oasis
Emergency stop. The building is the old Klawer Primary School, and I think we slept in the headmaster's office. Also got a family room, because it was all they had. Coffee is included in the morning but no breakfast. We paid R580 for the night.

The rest of the time we abused family privileges and stayed "for free"... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Thys de Jager

ThysdJ

Post by ThysdJ »

Diesel

50/500ppm
Botswana is still 500ppm country, but in Namibia 50ppm is available in most places. Only in Koes we didnt get 50ppm. Prices are on average about R1/l cheaper than in RSA.

Consumption
Our fuel consumption on average (according to the Hilux trip computer) was 8.8 km/l. I am super impressed with that, because we were loaded high and heavy. On the open tar roads, I stuck to the speed limits, I also used the speed control a lot. On dirt we were in 4H, sometimes with seriously deflated tyres in the sand. According to our records the Hilux was lighter on fuel than on our trip to Epupa falls last year, even though we had more stuff on the roof, and my driving style was exactly the same as then.
Thys de Jager

ThysdJ

Post by ThysdJ »

What DIDNT work for us...

Eazy-Awn Awning
I fitted the awning for this trip. First time with the RTT as well. It messed up our whole camping setup, because the tent had to open to the right hand side and the whole Hilux is rigged so that we live from the left hand side of the vehicle. A small thing like that really caused lots of head-aches. All of a sudden I needed to take space on BOTH sides into consideration when I parked the vehicle, and sometimes space was not available. The awning was in my way, i knocked my head on it a few times, plus we ended up not even using it once!

When we arrived in Rosh Pinah, I told Neef Andries about this and he took the awning off my hands right there and then. Saved me the trouble of carting it all the way home again and to advertise it on Gumtree.

E's new Kitchen Crates
No, no no. This does not work for us and is more of a hassle than a help. We never tested the new crate setup in controlled environment and this lead to many frustrations on this trip. I am working on an alternative plan to organise her stuff.

Stef's Deep Cycle Battery
No offence Stef. This battery didnt perform as expected. Luckily I had a back-up spare battery in the vehicle, as well as my solar panel setup to see us thru.

I will write a seperate post on our power setup.

Toyota's crappy OEM jack
Throw it out. It is crap. You need to be a cross between a contortionist and Superman to get anything heavier than a butterfly jacked up with this thing. I ended up using it as an axle-stand, and even that was dangerous, as the contact patch between the top of the jack and the axle is very small and unstable.
Thys de Jager

george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by george »

Toyota's crappy OEM jack
Throw it out. It is crap. You need to be a cross between a contortionist and Superman to get anything heavier than a butterfly jacked up with this thing. I ended up using it as an axle-stand, and even that was dangerous, as the contact patch between the top of the jack and the axle is very small and unstable.
Second that.After my experiences I am not a highlift jack fan anymore and will settle with a trolley jack
ThysdJ

Post by ThysdJ »

george wrote:
Toyota's crappy OEM jack
Second that.After my experiences I am not a highlift jack fan anymore and will settle with a trolley jack
Yes George, I am looking into getting a trolley jack and modifying it for off-road use. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Thys de Jager

withilux
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Durbanville
Vehicle: Hilux D4D 4x4

Post by withilux »

Jislaaik Thys wat an experience het julle gehad. Ons het die leeus by Mabua gemis.
So bly julle het n awesome tyd gehad. Sal moet n biertjie vat vir die hele storie.
Laai asb nog. wat n lekker storie.
Thunder02

Post by Thunder02 »

ThysdJ wrote:
george wrote:
Toyota's crappy OEM jack
Yes George, I am looking into getting a trolley jack and modifying it for off-road use. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Going to fit some Mud terains :?:

www.4x4direct.co.za
ThysdJ

Post by ThysdJ »

withilux wrote:Jislaaik Thys wat an experience het julle gehad. Ons het die leeus by Mabua gemis.
So bly julle het n awesome tyd gehad. Sal moet n biertjie vat vir die hele storie.
Laai asb nog. wat n lekker storie.
Jis Dawid, ons moet daai biertjie vat.. Dankie vir al jou hulp en raad met die beplanning van die trip. Dit het ons baie gehelp! :thumbup: :thumbup:
Thys de Jager

ThysdJ

Post by ThysdJ »

What DID work:

Solar panels
The 2 x 50W panels worked a charm. They kept the fridge running ice cold in the hot Kalahari sun.

Shower Bag
A first for us, and we are very impressed.

GOMAD truck slide
The slide worked wonders. No more hassle reaching in to the load bin from the sides to get hold of stuff, we just slided it out and there it was. Whatever it is. It is strong enough to handle the weight and worked without a problem.

Cortina Flappies
Enough said.

Satelite phone
Seeing as were were going solo we felt it necessary to have one of these with us. We didnt rent one, but Doron (the one with the FJ) was kind enough to let us use his Immarsat phone. We only used it for sending the odd SMS to family to let them know where we are, so the bill for usage shouldnt be too expensive.

We would like to thank

Gysie from GOMAD. For all the little bends and welds that he had to do on the spur of the moment to get our setup working. Also I gave his off-cuts bin a good workout!! And for the truck slide he built for us at a moments notice.

Dawid Hurter (Withilux) for his input, the P50, Garmin routes and advice.

The people from our neighbouring countries are friendly and helpful and they made us feel right at home. Thanks for welcoming us to your country and making us feel at home. It was a priviledge to be able to visit, and we will come again if you will have us.

All those guys who waved back on the road.... :wave: :wave:

This is where we sign off... Questions are welcome. Thanks for the positive feedback and comments.
Thys de Jager

Clifford
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Parow Valley
Vehicle: Land Rover Defender County 2.8i

Mabuasehube 2013

Post by Clifford »

Your trip made some very interesting reading.
I can only hope to have a great experience when I go on my excursion in December. I plan on doing the Southern and Middle Namibia for about 4 weeks.
I will be going with my trusty Landy :D: (sorry folks .... no Toyota here :taunt: ) and plenty of pics will be taken, which I will definitely share on your forum.

Return to “Trip Reports”