BenHur in SlaapStad

Tell us about your recent trip. Please add some photographs.
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Re: BenHur Steams To Slaapies via The Shosholoza Meyl Train!?!

Post by Mr_B »

Bennie said 'We'll start with your's Bretton...' :shock: and there was silence... :lol:

I think Richard was way to nackered last night to care... Anyways Bennie gets the use of my lux while his in Cape Town, so to get 100% mobile he has to finish mine first. Anyone know where I can a get 63mm elbow(90deg) pipe in Cape Town(biggest I can find is 57mm)? I can get a 63mm silicon version from the go-fast guys, but it's pretty expensive, more expensive than Joburg!

B
Last edited by Mr_B on Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Re: BenHur in SlaapStad

Post by CasKru »

According to the weather pages I see they choose a bad time to go to you guys :shock:
To God be the glory
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

This morning, Bennie and Richard have taken my lux over to an exhaust plekkie to have the no.1 exhaust manifold dinged in slightly, to make space for the efi intake.
We discovered this as well :). The most embarrassing part of it all was when we towed Bulldog with Bennie's Paj to Noise Boys, who did the dinging for us. We tried ourselves, but you need a torch to warm the metal up. One or two dings did it!

Bretton, you are going to really enjoy your Hilux afterwards! I think we need to have some EFI stickers made for our Hilux's to distinguish them from others :D: :o: :mrgreen:

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

ToyX4
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Ottosdal
Vehicle: Rocky's

Post by ToyX4 »

Eric, I thought I would just stick on an "i" next to 2.4.

What did you have in mind?
ImageImage
Family_Dog

Post by Family_Dog »

Dunno... I went back to the Sticker place this morning to sort out the "Hilux" & "2200" stickers and was wondering about that. I am also wondering if I should put any of the striping decals on the sides, to break the single colour expanse. But I like your idea! I can get something like "4Yi" or "2200i" made, will look good, you think?

These guys are also the local VPS agents, quoted me about R8500 for VPS the sides & front, but not too sure about that yet. They do an excellent job, however. I have since put VPS on my cell phone lens... cost me nothing! :mrgreen:

-F_D

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

ToyX4
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Ottosdal
Vehicle: Rocky's

Post by ToyX4 »

Eric, IMHO, don't put on the side striping stickers. Bulldog looks great as is. I think you will somewhat spoil his look with the side stickers.

Did you buy the sparewheel carrier new or 2ndhand. Price?
To save money, I'm planning on putting one together myself.

2200i and 2.4i will be for a select few of us. I think it is subtle, yet telling.
ImageImage
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '96 D/C Raider

Post by BenHur »

If you want to be technically correct the sticker must say 4YE or 22RE inside :twisted: :twisted: as that is the official Toyota engine codes for your engines.
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by BenHur »

snipes wrote: Anyone know where I can a get 63mm elbow(90deg) pipe in Cape Town(biggest I can find is 57mm)? I can get a 63mm silicon version from the go-fast guys, but it's pretty expensive, more expensive than Joburg!

B
Bretton

I am sure on the cape flats where all the guys with the blue neon glow protruding from underneath their Cortina's etc you will find some of these go fast shops by the dozen and they may even be cheaper. Deon ended up pay R 40 for his at the flea market. Doesnt capetown still have the famous fleemarket (what was it called again parade or something) in town ( We went there as kids when we were on holiday) ?
Dadz Toy BFI

Post by Dadz Toy BFI »

bennie

i'll take you to our flea markets, but don't expect to buy anything other tha fleas!!

ps..... don't forget that you must fit 6 x pink neon chassis tubes before you do the 2 Oceans in Dadz Toy!

rich
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Mr_B »

Hey folks,

A quick update on the Bennie Slaapstad adventures...

Today(Sun) and yesterday(Sat) Bennie performed his magic on my lux, while grumbling about numerous wiring and connection issues... :shock: which he repaired of course :D . After alot of hard work from Bennie, many motivation speeches :wink: from Richard, a large packet of biltong, chips and coffee...(in all the time Bennie was wiring up this complicated efi system, I managed to secure 1 console screw properly :evil: ) we completed the installation of the main EFI components this evening(Sun). After a little tweaking she fired right up! The difference is 100% noticeable, she runs like the clappers, without even being dyno'd yet. And she purrs at idle! My lux feels like it's been turbo charge, when compared to std. 4Y, even Bennie was surprised at how happily this 2.2i turned the 33" tyres!

Bennie thanks alot for all the effort and dedication, another successful BenHur fuel injection conversion. I'm going to get a new sticker made for my lux, 2.2BHi... cause this is no ordinary EFI conversion!

B
Last edited by Mr_B on Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ThysdJ
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Post by ThysdJ »

BenHur wrote:I am sure on the cape flats where all the guys with the blue neon glow protruding from underneath their Cortina's
Just a small correction Bennie... Die outjies op die Fletse is nogals sofisticated lately, they dont drive Cortinas any more, it is now Honda's and Opels with the odd Tazz thrown into the mix. The more affluent outjies swear by Subaru Imprezas... :roll: :roll: :twisted:
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
Scorpion
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Emmarentia
Vehicle: 1988 Hilux 4x4 D/C with more attitude than Mike Tyson

Post by Scorpion »

Family_BullDog wrote:
I am also wondering if I should put any of the striping decals on the sides, to break the single colour expanse.

-F_D
DON'T DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Eric, IMHO by doing so you will spoil all the hard work you have done to make Bulldog near perfect. Nobody will look at him anymore, as he will look like just another old Hilux... He looks great as is, and if you "must" rather put on the last Raider stickers.

Just m2cw... :mrgreen:
1988 Hilex D/C 4x4 (Import spec), Lexus V8; Marlin Crawler; Custom Suspension: front and new 4 link in the rear; Disc Brake conversion rear; 35" Cooper STT tyres; Xenon lights; Custom bullbar;Next? Aircon; new front seats, redo the whole interior in nice soft leather, Respray, Double Lockers
1978 Land Cruiser HJ45
1971 Mercedes Benz 280S Automatic
2011 Land Cruiser 79 V6 (60th Anniversary Edition)
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Mr_B »

My lux has decals(stripes, black) down the one side, and the other side is clear(decals removed), another job that I haven't finished yet. I think my lux had a stint on the Cape Flats, when I bought it, it had 2x 12inch subs behind the back seat :shock: (with a massive amp), metres and metres of wiring for flourescent tube lighting running all over the show underneath :shock: , and horrible black stripes down the side... :shock: etc...

I'm still busy de-flats'ing it! :D

B
Family_Dog

Post by Family_Dog »

You know how patriotic the Yanks are with their Stars & Stripes... I was thinking of a bunch of parallel stripes, all the colours of our flag, running down the sides... :mrgreen:

But wait! - I have just imagined how this would look.... not good at all :o: :o:

OK, I won't do so! :mrgreen:

I was originally thinking of the Raider decals with the black lines, but guess I will rather just leave Bulldog as is!

Bretton, did Bennie load Bulldog's map into your 2.2... although by now, he will have a nice selection to choose from :P

-F_D

Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Mr_B »

Eric, Bennie loaded JohanM's map on, because his lux's spec is the closest to mine that Bennie has, we then took it for a spin and retarded the timing at numerous spots(where it was pinging), cause the air pressure in Cape Town is higher...

Bennie got in drove it a bit and uttered: Die ding pluk!

B
Last edited by Mr_B on Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
ThysdJ

Post by ThysdJ »

Family_BullDog wrote:You know how patriotic the Yanks are with their Stars & Stripes... I was thinking of a bunch of parallel stripes, all the colours of our flag, running down the sides... :mrgreen:
Something like this Eric?
Hi-Ace3.jpg
:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Thys de Jager

Family_Dog

Post by Family_Dog »

Kaspaas wrote:
Family_BullDog wrote:You know how patriotic the Yanks are with their Stars & Stripes... I was thinking of a bunch of parallel stripes, all the colours of our flag, running down the sides... :mrgreen:
Something like this Eric?
Hi-Ace3.jpg
:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
That's good for at least 10km/hr increase in speed, and I should get friendly waves from all the citizens of this fine Country!

I might even add a pink stripe to cater for just everybody! :mrgreen:

-F_D

BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by BenHur »

Eric

Refitting the nice Bulls logo on the bonnet would be sure to increase Bulldog's power by 35% :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by BenHur »

Die Hurters is weer almal veilig by die huis na ons lekker trippie.

We arrived this morning per train.

I would just like to take this opportunity to Thank Rich and Pieter for providing us place to stay and for George who lend us Sheila to get round in. Also for the other guys who we visited, thanks for the hospitality and lastly thanks to everyone who came to meet us at the Vodacom pub and on the trail.

We had a ball of a time but tonight I am sooo going to enjoy my Cloud9-Chiroflex-Kingsize who is already calling me. As I am sitting here typing the ceiling fan is running and I am sitting without a shirt in short pants, so julle moet maar lekker koud kry innie Kaap :wink:
Niel
Vehicle: 2014, DC, D4D 3.0, 4x4

Post by Niel »

Bennie, dit was nice om julle te ontmoet het, maak gerus weer n draai in die Kaap :D Bly om tehoor julle is veilig tuis.
ThysdJ

Post by ThysdJ »

Bly om te hoor julle het lekker gekuier en julle is veilig tuis. Dit was nice om bietjie face-to-face te gesels, altyd beter as in Arial (10). :twisted: :twisted:

Die Kaap is nie koud genoeg nie, ons vertek more-oggend voor die eerste mossie getjorts het Sutherland toe om daar te gaan bibber...

Kom kuier gerus weer... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Thys de Jager

BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by BenHur »

Thys ek het jou laas gesê jy moet ophou om jou kouse te rook

Return to “Trip Reports”