Fridge compressor

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Scooter
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: JHB
Vehicle: '94 Raider, '05 Vigo 4.0 v6

Fridge compressor

Post by Scooter »

I have a tropical Fridge that uses a danfoss compressor and when i plug it in 220/12 V, the LED flashes 3 times.
According to the danfoss site this means:

3 Flashes: Motor start error
(The rotor is blocked or the differential pressure
in the refrigeration system is too high
(>5 bar)).

Any suggestions to unblock the rotor or lower the pressure? It starts flashing as soon as it is plugged in.
"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realise that what you heard is not what I meant."
Scooter

Re: Fridge compressor

Post by Scooter »

I assume no replies means no one has a clue :twisted: :twisted:

Righteo, does anyone know of a trustworthy repair man that wont charge heaven and earth just to quote on it?
(on the west rand if possible)
"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realise that what you heard is not what I meant."
cprinsloo
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Nelspruit
Vehicle: 1998 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: X52

Post by cprinsloo »

Hi Scott,

Yep, no clue. Mine did it once, I disconnected from the battery and connected again, no problem from then. But good luck...

Cheers,

Chris
1998 Hilux D/C Lexus VVTi
Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Thanks Chris :!:
This blinking fridge just doesnt want to work for its keep :lol:

I have spoken with the guys at Danfoss, who are no help :evil:
But they did tell me to call RECO who reckon it could be a blocked capillary tube and they gave me a number of guy who may be able to fix it.

Problem is that to maybe fix it he charges 350/h :shock: and cant guarantee that he will fix it. :(
Now while this is less than a new fridge, it just seems pointless to pay to only have it looked at. So I ma trying to find someone who can check it out first and quote if they can fix it.
YN67
Town: Fourways
Vehicle: Hilux SFA D/C

Post by YN67 »

Scooter

I have been to the National Luna Factory in Edenvale with both my NL80 and Engel for servicing and maintenance. I think they would look at your fridge - even though it is not a Luna it uses the same compressor.

Worth trying
Scooter

Post by Scooter »

The guys at national Luna are very helpful. I have been there to sort out dual battery issues. I will give them a call and hear what they have to say.

Thanks for reminding me. :D
Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Right, so after a chat with NL (who used to fix these machines but dont anymore) I was told that I should rather spend my money and buy a new machine as that would be cheaper in the long run.
The facts being that they reckon it ie either the electronics (R2500) or the compressor (R3000) that is on the way out.
Their reasoning for buying a new unit is that the old technology wasnt as good i.e. the insulation wasnt as thick and the power they used was way higher than most today.

So in true form I decided to have a look at the fridge myself and with my very technical refrigeration expertise I have found that when the compressor is given a thump, it starts working perfectly, thump it again and the light starts flashing.

At first I figured it could be a loose connection so I checked all of them. the i figured maybe a dry joint in the computer box, i loosened the box and gave it a shake but nothing happened, so guess it is isnt a dry joint there.

With the box loose and all else out of the way, I gave the compressor another thump and the light starts flashing again.
As this is an oofroad fridge, thumping is the norm and a fridge that switches on and off like that is of no use.

I reckon if I could find someone trustworthy to flush the system and re-charge the gas properly, it might solve the problem But it is a risk and the compressor might just have had enough.

Any suggestions?
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '96 D/C Raider

Post by BenHur »

Scooter wrote:
Any suggestions?
Get a coolbox much less hassle in the long run and much cheaper:wink:
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

Bennie, I just have to say this.....

Everytime I look at the pic of Limey in your signature, I catch a laugh.... looks like Limey is cocking his right rear leg...er wheel... Notice the "spray" from just above the wheel :)

OK, I have slapped myself on the wrist, now back to business. What's J-Bay Like?

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by BenHur »

Nice and sunny - you could actually swim in the sea here, believe 2morrow its gonna be 31 degrees and sunny not peeying all the time like in CTN
Scooter

Post by Scooter »

BenHur wrote:
Get a coolbox much less hassle in the long run and much cheaper:wink:
Thanks Bennie, I have a coolerbox :wink: .

But you know how it feels to have something just sitting in your garage not working :mrgreen:
Also for a weekend a cooler is fine but for anything longer than that, you have to make sure you are near an ice machine. :D:
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by BenHur »

My record is over a week at Banga Nek with my Coleman 7 day freezer, during Feb 2006. My coolbox was situated in nice shady place, only opened once a day and on the last day after breaking up camp I still had ice for a last round of refreshments before we left. Between the 6 and 7 day freezer I have managed everytime I went camping, I guess the only time I will ever need a freezer is if we go somewhere like Richtersveldt for an extended period, in which case I will rather rent a freezer and not have to worry about maintaining my own. The more I check out these freezers, their cost and speak to guys owning and using them, the more I realise it is like a big pit to throw money into. :?

Return to “The Workshop”