Opinion about Aluminium Radiator

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Opinion about Aluminium Radiator

Post by pietpetoors »

What is your opinion about Aluminium radiators?

I asked for prices for a new radiator for the Tazz.
The imported Aluminium one is way cheaper than the rest.

Silverton Radiators' agent in Vredenburg - R1430.70
Same place cheapy - same as spare shops - R954.20 - Imported aluminium one
Toyota original R1484 (at last something that is not 4x the real price)
Langebaan spare shop - R580.00 - Imported aluminium one

The guy at the radiator place said the heat dispensation of the aluminium radiator is 50% worse than that of the original copper radiator (which I take with a pinch of salt.)
He also said if a stone hit the radiator you can repair it (no problem, it must destroy the aircon radiator first)

The "not be able to repair" part don't concern me, as I did not need that feature in this vehicle for the past 9 years and I guess to repair a copper radiator will cost just as much as what a new cheapy cost.

The big question is, is the aluminium's heat transfer coefficient really 50% less than that of the copper radiator???
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
Masekind
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Lichtenburg
Vehicle: 2005 Hilux 4x4 v6, LR tank, ARB Bumper. (iJzer)

Re: Opinion about Aluminium Radiator

Post by Masekind »

Al wat ek weet is die coolant wat moet reg wees vir n aluminium een want van hulle eet aluminium gou op, en self die engine het gesien op my lux.
If you don’t build your dreams someone else will hire you to build there’s
JohanM
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Meyerton
Vehicle: Prado 120 4.0 V6
Club VHF Licence: HC126

Post by JohanM »

Pieter

My 2006 Tazz and 1992 Corolla both was factory fitted with Alum radiators. Aluminium radiators actually have a better heat dissipation coefiecient than copper radiators. Depending on size, core ect can be up to 35% more effecient.

Copper can be repaired and not alum if it cracks, however, I have seen that my 4Y on the dyno labouring hard at very low RPM's it only went up to 95°C. This is were it used to run normally with the copper radiator fitted. Now its running at about 87°C so there is benefit in alum.

Also manufacturers world wide fits alum to high performance motors to assist with better cooling for the size, thus I would say that parts guy was on something strong.

Also why is heatsinks made of alum and not copper?? Makes for better heat dissipation per size than copper.
Johan Marais
dd6
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: 1995 SFA

Post by dd6 »

I've never seen a copper intercooler..... That should tell you something.
Gov
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: 98 Hilux 2.8D 4x4

Post by Gov »

dd6 wrote:I've never seen a copper intercooler..... That should tell you something.
That's air to air cooling if you want to be technical :siffler:

I bought an aluminum replacement for my Camry from silverton, no issues, in fact runs a little cooler.

Price difference can be put down more to cost of raw materials than quality/efficiency imo
15 Corolla D4D
93 Toyota Camry 200i
98 Toyota Hilux 2.8D 4X4 - Stolen :(
ThysdJ
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Post by ThysdJ »

I found in Kaspaas that the alu radiator dissipated heat much better than the HUGE copper one that was in there. By how much, I cannot say.. but after that we had no more heating problems..

Maybe we should ask Moog en Marty to test it unscientifically.. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
IndianaJones7746
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Citrusdal
Vehicle: 84 SFA Hilux

Post by IndianaJones7746 »

After I got tired of having to send the copper radiator in my Hilux back to the radiator repair shop, I just bought an imported aluminum radiator, and it works great. If I had to guess, it even runs a little cooler, but it does have a thick core.
The Legend
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Kempton Park
Vehicle: 1994 2.2 4y 4x4 D/C Toyota Hi-Lux
Club VHF Licence: X93-

Post by The Legend »

I replace my copper radiator in my 4y with aluminium radiator-very happy with it.No problems at all
“A BAD DAYS FISHING IS BETTER THAN A GOOD DAYS WORK”

“Do what you do so well, that the people that see you do it, will want to see you do it again,and will bring others to see you do it”
Obelix and Dogmatix
Town: ROODEPOORT
Vehicle: HILUX 4.0 V6 4x4 named Obelix, donated to some clown, HILUX 4.0 V6 4x4 named Obelix II Onca front and rear Amade extreme Suspension and under water breathing apparatus

Post by Obelix and Dogmatix »

Langiebaan has a SPARES SHOP!!!!!!!!

How the place has changed!!!
Rules are there to make you think before you break them!!!
God made man before
woman so as to give him time
to think of an answer
for her first question
COMMON SENCE IS NOT A GIFT, IT IS A PUNISHMENT!! BECAUSE YOU HAVE TO DEAL WITH EVERYONE WHO DOES NOT HAVE IT!!!
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

Langebaan has a SPARES SHOP!!!!!!!!
Yes, it does, changed ownership thrice the past 7 years,but it is there.

Thanx for all the replies, I also wondered why all manufacturers moved to Aluminium radiators if it is then 50% less efficient than copper. Guess it was then just another B/S story to try and make a sale.

So I ordered the R580 model from the spare shop.
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
louis fourie
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: 2003 Hilux Raider Facelift D/C 3.0 KZTE
Club VHF Licence: X101

Post by louis fourie »

There is a lot of engineering in how the fins look like and the way the fins get joined to the tubes. Today's Al radiators are more effective than the copper brass radiators of yesteryear.

Sent from my IdeaTab S6000-H using Tapatalk
ronnie
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Durbanville
Vehicle: Totota Fortuner 2006 4.0 V6 4x4; Long Range fuel tank; AmadaXtreme suspension; C-Tek D250S dual battery system
Club VHF Licence: HC 141

Post by ronnie »

pietpetoors wrote:
Langebaan has a SPARES SHOP!!!!!!!!
Yes, it does, changed ownership thrice the past 7 years,but it is there.

Thanx for all the replies, I also wondered why all manufacturers moved to Aluminium radiators if it is then 50% less efficient than copper. Guess it was then just another B/S story to try and make a sale.

So I ordered the R580 model from the spare shop.
And compared to R1484 from Toyota it only has to last 1/3 of the time :wth:
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Alu definitely disperses heat quicker ... more efficient.

As for the repair story, well as you correctly said, how often does that happen. If you have a core problem (leak) and you're far from a service centre, well how many guys carry soldering equipment capable of repairing a radiator around with them - in any case, you can just pinch off the leaking tube in the core, copper or alu. So that argument doesn't carry much weight.

For the saving in cost I fitted an alu radiator to my work Hilux, never a problem in the last 3 yrs. Even had a front end smash where the front firewall was bent and the radiator visibly twisted - no leaks - pulled the firewall straight with the radiator still in place. That was more than a year ago - still no leaks.

So ja, Alu is the way to go. ;-)
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
karoodonkie
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Laingsburg
Vehicle: `81 Hilux

Post by karoodonkie »

http://www.caparadiator.com/aluminumvscopper.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Een man se denke.
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Interesting, but here's what bothers me .... he says that a 4 core, well made copper rad cools the same as a normal alu one, but he still maintains that copper is more efficient . :blink:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!

Return to “The Workshop”