nitrous oxide boost

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
charlietuned
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: cape town
Vehicle: toyota hilux

nitrous oxide boost

Post by charlietuned »

Hi ,,
I am the proud owner of a 1999 Toyota hilux twin cab with a standard [Long] bak on the back , It has the naturally aspirated 3 litre motor [the 5L] When I first bought her I was driving a 3 litre Ford bakkie and got very frustrated by the lack of power from the Hilux , I wrote about it on this forum and the chaps on the forum convinced me to rather learn to live with the motor as she is. I have lived like that for a few years now ,but am still frustrated by not being able to overtake a slower vehicle on an uphill, she just looses too much speed because of the lack of power, It actually sometimes becomes a bit dangerous!!. A friend and myself were coming back from Jefferies bay Yesterday and were discussing the viability of using nitrous oxide boost , for just a little extra overtaking ability only when needed, i am not looking for masses of power and eccelleration, just a slightly bigger safety margin . Kits are available for that , but , why I am writing on this forum is to find out if anybody has done the conversion , and what people think of the idea
PLEASE let me know
thanks
Charlie
Wave
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Edenvale
Vehicle: Tuna 3.0 D4D 4x4

Re: nitrous oxide boost

Post by Wave »

The quickest way to break a motor is to use Nitrous Oxide, the sudden extra strain on all the internal moving parts is too much and you usually break a piston or bearing.
I would not recommend it, as the nitrous is not to be used when the motor is already under a big load, like over taking on an uphill.

Drag cars use nitrous, but they are racing down a level road, they have also built the motor to take the extra strain, and if you chat to anyone using nitrous, in the end, the motor breaks
'09 Toyota Fortuner 3.0 D4D 4x4 (M)
'14 VW Polo 1.2 TSI H/L (Swambo's)
'10 Conqueror Comfort
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Don't like the idea of using nitrous either. Rather look at other options. Maybe fit a KZTE motor. What tyre size are you using?
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Sven
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Nelspruit
Vehicle: '89 Hilux DC

Post by Sven »

it sounds quite funny, but i had always wondered about the use of that quick application of extra power only when needed and wanted to once ask about the possibility of using a 300bar dive cylinder linked up to the intake somehow and get a little forced induction somehow from the compressed air, like you said, only when needed, I just wasn't sure if it would even make a noticeable difference though. the only thing that would bug me would be the idea of a permanent cylinder in the car somewhere which might always get in the way.
'89 hilux D/C SFA, import spec.4YImageImageImage
Wave
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Wave »

Bear in mind that a properly installed nitrous kit also adds extra fuel to keep the mixture correct, if you just add extra air you will run lean and break the motor even sooner.
'10 Conqueror Comfort
Sven
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Nelspruit
Vehicle: '89 Hilux DC

Post by Sven »

to be honest i wasn't really wondering to much about increasing pressure the same way a turbo does, more along the lines of helping the engine out a little so it doesn't need to work as hard to suck in the normal air, so the carb would still correct the air fuel mixture. but wasn't to sure if it was even a possibility. and the thought of a pressurized tank in the car 365 days of the year is a pretty cuck one. ha ha.
'89 hilux D/C SFA, import spec.4YImageImageImage
Moonunit
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Lumina

Post by Moonunit »

Nitrous does work when done properly with a proper controller and preferably linked to the ECU to pick up WOT. It's these badly done installations or user error that puts pistons through the block. With that said only a certain shot of nitrous can be used on stock internals because the 75kw+ (or more) gain might be a bit much for some motors

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wave
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Wave »

Everyone I know that ever had a nitrous kit (myself included), sooner or later, broke the motor, even installed by a reputable tuner with a Unichip controlling it all.

IMHO its really not worth the gamble
'10 Conqueror Comfort
Mars
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux Dakar 2.8 GD-6 DC 4X4

Post by Mars »

Unfortunately it is never that simple. Nitrous is a bad idea unless you want to be rebuilding engines every so often and sadly there is no simple solution. That engine was designed with a specific output and the moment you start increasing performance on that engine it comes at a price. Fuel consumption and reliability. There is no such thing as a free lunch. The easiest way to improve performance on a diesel is to increase the amount of diesel injected. Other than with a petrol engine a richer mixture means hotter ignition temperatures and higher EGTs as a consequence. You want to increase power at the worst possible time for the engine i.e. At the time when it is labouring the most and you are going to get the biggest increase in temperature.

My best advice is to make sure that the engine is well maintained and in the best state of tune possible. I.e. Clean filters etc.

If you really want more power consider an engine transplant. The 2.5 mazda/ford engine comes to mind. Ideally a 3lt D4D would be the best and most expensive.
ThysdJ
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Post by ThysdJ »

Driving a diesel is an art, and a lifestyle.. :twisted: :twisted:

You need to know when to hold them.
Know when to fold 'em.
Know when to walk away.
Know when to run.....

And have the right gear selections for each of those way in advance. If you are going to rush a diesel you are going to break it.. guaranteed!! So my advice is to relax, take it as it comes and live with it... or go and buy a petrol engine vehicle. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
Hoppy
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Hilux SFA & IFS

Post by Hoppy »

ThysdJ wrote:Driving a diesel is an art, and a lifestyle.. :twisted: :twisted:

You need to know when to hold them.
Know when to fold 'em.
Know when to walk away.
Know when to run.....

And have the right gear selections for each of those way in advance. If you are going to rush a diesel you are going to break it.. guaranteed!! So my advice is to relax, take it as it comes and live with it... or go and buy a petrol engine vehicle. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
...or get a proper diesel motor and kick ass, "Petrol is so last century"
aev@iburst.co.za
The trouble with trouble is...it always starts as fun.
The most precious jewels you will ever wear around your neck is the arms of your children...
" I WOULD RATHER SIT ON THE TAILGATE OF MY HILUX WITH A BEER AND A CHOP, WATCHING A FIRE, THAN DINE IN THE BEST RESTAURANT IN TOWN "

Return to “The Workshop”