electrical problem in a 94 2x4

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Tinman
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: perth
Vehicle: 1991 hilux surf with 31" kuhmo kl71's

electrical problem in a 94 2x4

Post by Tinman »

in my mums 94 theres no rear light, we have changed globes fuses and checked all the wiring and cant find anything wrong. there also is no high beem or dash lights however there has never been any high beem, the switch is there just nuthing happens.
any ideas people because we got pulled up by the police and they werent to impressed, so we sorta need to get it done.
Tinman
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Re: electrical problem in a 94 2x4

Post by Tinman »

the model number is ln86
Scooter
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: JHB
Vehicle: '94 Raider, '05 Vigo 4.0 v6

Post by Scooter »

Stuart, when you checked the wiring, did you check if there was power getting to the lights (front and rear) when the switch was switched (with ignition on)? Check at the globe points and along the wire at various points to see if there is a break somewhere.

If there is no power at the globes, it is possible that the actual switch unit on the steering column is faulty as well and not allowing contact.

If there is power at the globes, well then they should work. :twisted:

My $10 worth :wink:
"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realise that what you heard is not what I meant."
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Post by Mr_B »

Scooter wrote:My $10 worth :wink:
AUS or US mate? ;-)
Tinman
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Tinman »

its an aussie one.
the way both rear lights have gone im tending to think its something to do up in the cab wiring because all the wire is in tact under the tray.
Dadz Toy BFI

Post by Dadz Toy BFI »

Tinman wrote:in my mums 94 theres no rear light, we have changed globes fuses and checked all the wiring and cant find anything wrong. there also is no high beem or dash lights however there has never been any high beem, the switch is there just nuthing happens.
any ideas people because we got pulled up by the police and they werent to impressed, so we sorta need to get it done.
Ditto on the High Beam

Bennie have you been to Aus :?:
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

Bulldog suffered this high-beam problem when I first acquired him. The trick was to remove the top & lower steering wheel covers and spray the brass contacts of the dimmer switch with Q20 or similar. I actually used a "Kontakt" spray, one for cleaning the switch terminals - which are big brass strips, by the way, quite up to carrying the DC load - followed by a Kontakt Lube Spray. That bwas nearly three years ago, no trouble since. Minimal stripping down is required, the contacts are quite easy to reach.

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

Return to “The Workshop”