Modification to your Toyota Surf or 4Runner
AutoWall
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Gordons Bay
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Surf V8 4x4

Surf up for grabs!

Post by AutoWall »

Hi Guys, anyone looking for a '94 Surf with perfectly running V8 as a donor vehicle or for spares?
The vehicle is in excellent condition requires only minor tlc, the only real problem is the Mozambican registration.
please PM me for more info
Attachments
WP_20150202_002.jpg
Huismoeles
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Bellville
Vehicle: V8 Disco 1

Re: Surf up for grabs!

Post by Huismoeles »

Prys? ??
AutoWall
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by AutoWall »

R50,000 of naaste kontant aanbod, onderhandelbaar.
AutoWall
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by AutoWall »

Die kar is in daaglikse gebruik, ek kry so 6.3km/l in die dorp, het tans 143500km op die klok en hy is beslis groot pret!
Attachments
WP_20131126_008.jpg
WP_20131126_008.jpg (73.21 KiB) Viewed 3851 times
Toppie4x4
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Centurion
Vehicle: Hilux 4.0 V6 DC 4x4

Post by Toppie4x4 »

Ek neem aan dit is n 4x4................enige fotos van die binneruim / kajuit?
AutoWall
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by AutoWall »

Ja dit is n 4x4, sien asb onder is meer inligting oor die kar se ombouing en geskiedenis sowel as foto's soos gevra

"First a bit of the car’s history since I bought it in Mozambique

When I bought it, it had 114000km on the clock and it was standing in a workshop where the mechanics could not get it running after overhauling the engine, I towed it home and it took me about a month to figure out that the diesel pump and ECU was faulty, after sorting it out I used it on a daily basis as well as a couple of long distance visits to SA and of coarse frequent visits to rural areas and the beaches in Mozambique that pushed the mileage up to 130000km on the dial when the motor packed up due to a loss of oil pressure which turned out to be the end of the diesel motor, after wasting more than R30k on it I gave up and decided to do the V8 conversion on it.

I bought the motor with automatic gearbox and original ECU from Lextreme in Pretoria who also done the complete electrical harness, before loading the motor they also started it on the floor for me. I then imported the motor to Moz and started the conversion at home.

The conversion was actually quite easy as it was Toyota on to Toyota which meant that most things were just a matter of bolt on, I’m not going to go much into detail on the entire build but I’ll tell you about the things I had to change or alter to make it fit and work. Before starting the conversion I done quite a bit of research on similar conversions where other people put the same motor in their Surfs and the issues they encountered during the build, it really helped me a lot and prevented me from doing a lot of double work and the list of things I needed to is as follow...

Change the engine mounting positions on the chassis
Slightly shift the hand brake position to clear some room in the engine compartment
Remove the tailpiece from the V8 gearbox and shorten the output driveshaft to accommodate the speedo mechanism and 4x4 transfer case from the Surf which was just a matter of bolt on with no adapters or serious modifications
Modify the oil sump on the engine in order to fit over the steering links
Relocate the steering damper
Convert the Diesel tank to a Petrol tank with an internal high pressure fuel pump for the V8’s fuel injection system
Completely remove the Diesel ECU and all the unneeded wires then install the new ECU and tap in on the Surf’s wiring to make all things work
Install a new custom Cowley Exhaust system
From there it was just a matter of some plumbing for the power steering and Aircon unit which now sit in opposite sides from the diesel and having a new exhaust system installed, everything else was basically just bolt back on.

This is the short version of the build and you can take it to any mechanic with a diagnostic system as everything is basically original the only difference is that the motor and gearbox is a 1UZ-FE from a 1996 Toyota Crown and every thing else is the original 1994 Toyota Hilux Surf SSRG.

Standard on the car is E/W, E/M, P/S, C/L, A/C, C/C, Electronic select 4X4 with low range, O/D, rear heater, rear mount spare wheel, bull bar, tow bar, side runner boards, electronic ride comfort and new Pioneer USB/ Frontloader CD player

It’s an excellent 4x4 and towing vehicle, great fun to drive and you get 2x the power as apposed to the diesel.”

Ek het in tussen nog R2000 spandeer op n nuwe “High Pressure” petrol pomp en “Fuel Pressure Regulator” wat my brandstof verbruik met meer as 2km/l verbeter het

Die enigste probleme wat ek aan kan dink op die kar is als minor en as volg

Die voorste seats is oorspronklike Ricaro bucket seats waarmee die model uitgekom het en hul is albei n bietjie stukkend van in en uitklim
Die kar het krap merke van Moz bosse en bome, geen ongeluk skade of roes op die kar nie
Die voorste suspension se rubbers is besig om n bietjie onklaar te raak maar dit pla nie regtig nie, ek het reeds nuwe draglinks en tie rod ends in gesit en hy het nuwe rem skoene voor in
Die spaar mag is beskadig en gaan omtrend R450 kos om reg te laat maak
Laastens werk sy aircon maar nie reg nie, (verduideliking...) die AC pomp wat saam met die motor gekom het werk op n sisteem met climate control en die oorspronklike sisteem is n standaard een, so op die oomblik is hy either 100% aan (die heel tyd) of af, maar ek het die Surf se oorspronklike AC pomp wat saam die voertuig gaan en moet net geruil word, die pomp is 100% reg. Ek het ook n paar ander spaar parte wat saam kom.

Dis al wat ek aan kan dink wat bietjie pla aan die kar, maar dis so gering dat ek nie eers sal huiwer om nou in te klim en Moz toe en terug te ry nie, ek het reeds deur die conversion se teething problems gewerk (daar was gelukkig nie veel nie).

Die prys wat ek vra is minder as wat net die ombouing alleen was en die kar is regtig in n baie goeie kondiesie.
Attachments
WP_20140729_013.jpg
WP_20140729_013.jpg (62.08 KiB) Viewed 3834 times
WP_20131205_016.jpg
WP_20131205_016.jpg (45.38 KiB) Viewed 3834 times
WP_20131205_015.jpg
WP_20131205_015.jpg (57.38 KiB) Viewed 3834 times

Return to “Surf & 4Runner”