900 Horsepower Electric Car

Here we discuss various alternative energy solutions. From converting your car to electricity to converting your home to be off the grid.
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

900 Horsepower Electric Car

Post by pietpetoors »

http://www.bbc.com/autos/story/20150211 ... r-supercar" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Yet the team behind the stunning Vega sports car has credentials – and financial backing – befitting similar passion projects emerging in California’s Silicon Valley. The effort is the brainchild of technology entrepreneur Harsha Subasinghe, chief executive of Colombo-based CodeGen, a developer of software for the travel and tourism industry. Building a luxury sports car is certainly a departure for Subasinghe, but one with broader objectives than simply a quick zero-to-60mph time. (That’ll be 3.5 seconds, according to the Vega’s builders.)

Subasinghe envisioned the Vega not only as an all-electric thrill machine, but a demonstration of Sri Lankans’ ability to develop advanced transportation technologies.

“Getting people to believe that a complex engineering project like a supercar can come from Sri Lanka is a huge challenge for us,” says Beshan Kulapala, the car’s project manager. “This country produces some of the best engineers in the world, but in the past we’ve been afraid to commit to innovative product development for fear of losing, or being ridiculed.”

From a purely technological perspective, there seems little chance of that. The car bears a sophisticated silhouette befitting a boutique hypercar, and considerable innovation beneath that sheet metal. Dual electric motors power the rear wheels, producing a combined 900 horsepower with 530 pound-feet of torque. Carbon-fibre construction helps hold vehicle weight to about 3,000lbs – rather remarkable, given the density of the on-board lithium-ion battery packs. The team, comprising over 30 engineers and other personnel, is developing what Kulapala – a 13-year veteran of Intel with a PhD in electrical engineering – calls a state-of-the-art motor controller, and new thinking around battery packaging. Says Kulapala: “The lithium battery modules have a number of innovations in packaging, safety, battery management, system hardware, and firmware and software., “Our eDiff [electronic differential] will also run cutting-edge algorithms to control the vehicle in different road and driving conditions.

Codegen Vega

Will it have the same track-attuned chops of a Ferrari or Lamborghini? Not likely, but nor will it be a slouch. That 3.5-second zero-to-60 time places it firmly in supercar territory, and the in-house engineering should help the vehicle – which is expected to carry a six-figure price tag – achieve a 150-mile range and a top speed of 150mph.

The team has the engineering pieces in place, but bringing the Vega to market may be the larger challenge. Raw materials and precision tooling needed for key components are not always present in Sri Lanka, Kulapala says. But Sri Lanka is full of surprises. Per capita income of the country has doubled since 2005, and the nation’s cellular subscriber base has grown 550% between 2005 and 2010. Sri Lanka was also the first country in south Asia to introduce mobile broadband technology.

“With the vast amount of data available online, we are able to learn and build expertise that we would otherwise lack,” Kulapala says. “Sure, we will need time to build experience, but with disciplined research, we are able to not fail where others have already have, and we can be quick to design and engineer products.”

CodeGen executive Subasinghe has invested more than $500,000 in the initial development costs to get the idea off the ground. Of course, budgets will head into the tens of millions once the development and testing of prototypes begins, and the company is taking the funding process one step at a time. Kulapala sees this proceeding at an aggressive pace, with the first prototype rolling out by April 2015 and the technology tuning and certification process following.

As every upstart supercar maker discovers soon enough, it's a long road from daydream to reality. Can the Vega make the trip? Sri Lankans have demonstrated impressive tenacity and innovation in recent years, rebuilding after a brutal civil war and a devastating tsunami. If any country seems equipped to rise to such an occasion, it's this one.
Vega Supercar
Vega Supercar
vega-supercar.jpg (51.72 KiB) Viewed 11523 times
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: 900 Horsepower Electric Car

Post by Mud Dog »

Not bad at all! Impressive stats, - the range is still a problem and it's common to all purely electric vehicles, but this vehicle doesn't look like it's intended to be a commuter - looks like it will be more at home on the open road.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
4x4BEES
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: Hilux 4.0V6

Post by 4x4BEES »

Agree, looks like a nice weekend toy
Haboob
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: King Williams Town
Vehicle: Hilux
Club VHF Licence: HC129

Post by Haboob »

If you have six figures in the bank...
HABOOB means "Dust Storm"
4x4BEES
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: Hilux 4.0V6

Post by 4x4BEES »

Usually people that HAVE weekend toys do tend to have that in their bank :lmao: :lmao:
Haboob
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: King Williams Town
Vehicle: Hilux
Club VHF Licence: HC129

Post by Haboob »

If you have six figures in the bank...
HABOOB means "Dust Storm"
pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

Range is still enough for me to drive to Cape Town, visit all my suppliers and then stop for late lunch at a restaurant with charging station, attending to my emails and forum posts for 2 hours before heading home.

My problem is not the range, my problem is the price.
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

pietpetoors wrote:Range is still enough for me to drive to Cape Town, visit all my suppliers and then stop for late lunch at a restaurant with charging station, attending to my emails and forum posts for 2 hours before heading home.

My problem is not the range, my problem is the price.
I think that would apply to most of us. If I had the moola, I'd probably still go for a Tesla though.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Bugzy
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Rustenburg
Vehicle: 2015 Hilux S/C 4X4 Dakar1996 2.8D s/c 4x4 Hilux with 3CT Toyota motor
Club VHF Licence: X56

Post by Bugzy »

Sal nie op my plaas pad kan ry nie.......dit hy gaan ook sukkel oor die speed humps.........
dalkill
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Cape TOwn
Vehicle: 2.4 GD6 SR D/C 4x4

Post by dalkill »

looks absolutely stunning... but not very practical as Bugzy pointed out.

And why if you have 6 figures in the bank would you want to have a super car that you cannot hear coming on few miles away.
Surely supercars are meant to be loud, brash and plain old windgat. Just this week in traffic, audi v10 next to me, got few young men in a twist, nearly wetting themselves when they asked the owner to give it some revs, and he obliged. Not of the car to sound like a PC starting up.

So why is everyone doing research into EV that can outrun all that is a supercar, when the real need is for the average man in the street buckling under fuel costs. I would think relatively poor Asian countries like Sri Lanka would looks at this option first. Like india who bought out a car for just under 1000 rupees or something ridiculous like that.

We don't need it to so speed of sound, or a million miles on single charge.
Everyday commute to work one way is about 50km. So you get to work on one charge, plug it in there, get home, plug it in again.

As been pointed out, this looks like a weekend tourer. And if so, 150 miles not gonna get you far. For these, i say you have your hilux in the garage , and a little Tata EV to work and back.
2016 2.4GD6 SR D/C 4x4 (Oct 2022 - current) (Buraaq VI)
2007 d4d 3.0 D/C 4x4 (Mar 2016 - July 2022) (Buraaq V)
2003 Isuzu KB300 D/C 4x4 (May 2015 - Feb 2016) aka Buraaq IV
2000 hilux DC 2.7 4x4 (Jul 2011 - Sep 2012) aka Buraaq III
1999 RXI 20v (Nov 2009 - Jul 2011) aka Quicksilver
1990 hilux DC 2.2 4x4 (Jun 2008 - Jul 2011) aka Buraaq II
1997 corolla 160i GLE (Feb 2007 - Sep 2009) aka Green Goblin
1990 GLI twincam (still my fav rolla) (Oct 2005 - Mar 2007) aka Wit Blitz
Golf GTI 2.0 (temp insanity for 2months) (Jun 2005 - Aug 2005) aka A mistake
1993 hilux SC 2.2 4x4 (April 2003 - Sept 2005) aka Buraaq

TOYOTA IS MY LEWE
pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

So why is everyone doing research into EV that can outrun all that is a supercar,
Because:
1. a supercar is the best place to do your research, most mechanical technology you see in modern passenger vehicles today were developed on the race track and then tuned down for passenger vehicle use.
2. You can sell your samples for millions which help to fund your development. If you tried to do that with El Chepos you will almost give away your samples.

Check this out , the Tesla Roadster is now doing 544Km per charge, that is about the same as what our Aygo can do on a tank and it is more than what my bakkie can do on a tank.
http://chargedevs.com/newswire/roadster ... le-charge/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Rebel 4x4
Town: Port Elizabeth
Vehicle: 2020 Toyota Fortuner GD-6 4x4 Auto

Post by Rebel 4x4 »

Ongelukkig sal geen elektriese voertuig dit maak in SA nie - wel, nie met Eksdom wat nie krag kan verskaf nie
Sent from my iPhone
dalkill

Post by dalkill »

i have often thought why not have standard battery pack... fits any car... like below the seats...
pull into "petrol" station.. pay for the new pack, you one your way in 5 min.

But that would mean big companies doing something for good of mankind :banned:

Microsoft can't even stick to W3C complaince :slap:

TOYOTA IS MY LEWE
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

dalkill wrote:i have often thought why not have standard battery pack... fits any car... like below the seats...
pull into "petrol" station.. pay for the new pack, you one your way in 5 min.
But that would mean big companies doing something for good of mankind :banned:

Microsoft can't even stick to W3C complaince :slap:
This is being done already, but it's still brand specific - i.e. the batteries are not standardised between manufacturers as yet .... it may still come, it's still early days and the concept hasn't caught on enough.

pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

Check this Hybrid, what a beaut !
The front is not that nice, but I like the side view

Finally, sustainable design without compromise. Introducing the Fisker Karma, the first true electric luxury vehicle with extended range and the freedom to plug in or fill up. With the ability to toggle between the all-electric Stealth Mode or fuel assisted Sport Mode with the simple shift of the paddle, the Karma delivers high impact performance while maintaining a low impact on the environment. The Fisker Karma — a bold expression of uncompromised responsible luxury.
At Fisker Automotive, we strive to create environmentally conscious vehicles with passion, style and performance. It all starts with 959 lb/ft (1300 Newton/meters) of torque, instantly available at 0 RPM. In Sport Mode, the Karma’s EVer™ power management system utilizes the lithium-ion battery system in conjunction with the 2.0 liter 260 HP 4-cylinder direct injection motor (which is connected to a 175kW generator) to accelerate the Karma from 0-60 mph in 6.3 seconds and a top speed of 125 mph (200 km/h).
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

I like!! :thumbup: :thumbup:

dalkill

Post by dalkill »

that profile almost looks like the top gear EV.... has the same concept of being a hyrbid :lmao:
Attachments
TopGearEV.jpg
TopGearEV.jpg (151.58 KiB) Viewed 11280 times

TOYOTA IS MY LEWE

Return to “Alternative Energy”