Guard dog

Discuss anything here as long as it is clean. Having a hard time with your Skoonma, tell us about it here, or discuss the Rugby. Whatever you feel like talking about.
raider
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 96' Hilux Raider 2.4 4x4 SC, 12' Mitsubishi PJS 3.2 4x4

Guard dog

Post by raider »

Gents,

My boxer is now 8 years old so I need to get another dog as he is not as vigilant as before. This is my second boxer and he has been exceptional. Since owning him we have had not one break in, compared in the past. People always wave and kids shout, "there is there toyota dog" whenever he is in the back of our old legend 40 which was also charcoal in colour, only difference he is fawn and not brindle.

But now I'm thinking off getting a dog with a bit less energy as boxers require lots of attention. I was thinking of a Bullmastiff or Boerboel. I believe both a extremely good guard dogs and very loyal to the family. I would appreciate any input from fellow members.

Regards
Zubair
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: Guard dog

Post by Mud Dog »

I've had all sorts over the years, but for quite some time now (last 12 or 13 yrs) have had and bred Boerboels. For me it's the only choice, but don't be fooled all dogs need attention, and Boerboels are no exception.

Traits from my experiences would include
• exceptionally loving and demanding of attention
• very protective of their territory and family members
• viciously protective, so you have to be careful with any visitors
• great and gentle with kids
• very intelligent
• can be difficult to train if not done regularly at the start (they can be stubbornly purposeful, but I've never had a problem that I couldn't sort.
• a surprisingly fast and agile dog for it's size
• they eat a lot! :D:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
raider
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by raider »

I'm leaning towards a Boerboel at the moment(proudly South African haha), but if a nice Bullmastiff comes my way I might go that route. Been looking on gumtree at the moment, don't need papers or champion bloodline. Just need a healthy pup from parents that have a good a temperament .
Hangover
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Deneysville
Vehicle: '76 FJ45 , '13 3.0 D4D Hilux

Post by Hangover »

To add to mud dog they leave massive "heaps" lying around.. My baby is not a mere 78kg's and he still think he's a lap dog...
Hangover(A.K.A die speelding)
1976 FJ45 4x4
1UZ-FE 4.0vvti
2" OME Suspension lift
1.5" Shackle lift
35" Geo MT's
Custom Bullbar
Lockright Locked rear
York OBA
20" LED bar
Nighthawk 100W spots

Dakar
2013 3.0D-4D 4x4 Hilux Dakar
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

The folk around here (as well as their domestic staff) tend to pass on the far side of the road. :D:

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Aquanaut
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Durban
Vehicle: Hilux 3.0D4D

Post by Aquanaut »

I think my Boerboel cross Rotty ticks all the boxes.
Attachments
041 3.jpg
041 3.jpg (63.81 KiB) Viewed 3471 times
Willem01
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: het nie 1 nie

Post by Willem01 »

Gee wizz I wonder who wears the pants in the house....lekker lazy on the couch
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Aquanaut wrote:I think my Boerboel cross Rotty ticks all the boxes.
Doubt he's got Rotti in him .... no sign of rotti colouration, and I suspect he would be smaller ...... :think:

Kaaskrul
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Port Elizabeth
Vehicle: 2018 Hilux X-Cab 4x4 Dakar

Post by Kaaskrul »

As hy daai dogmor poep los, staan jy op of vat jy maar net groot happe tot dit weg is :laugh2:
Johan Kriel
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Okahandja
Vehicle: 2.5 SC 4x4

Post by Johan Kriel »

Bul terrier vir n wag hond. Hulle is eintlik goeie honde met kinders ook. Ek het een op die plaas gehad, niemand het in daai jaards gekom nie. Moes haar altyd vasmaak as een in die huis kampie moes kom werk. Dieselfde met n steffie.

Ons is nou op die derde generasie cocker spaniels by die huis in die dorp. Werk ook goed.
Johan Kriel

Legend 50
Stef
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: '98 LTD
Club VHF Licence: X107

Post by Stef »

Moeni 'n Labrador weg gooi nie...verbaas met die ene wat ons het. Die feit dat hy swart is werk nogals vir sekere bygelowe ook :lol:

Maar ja, boerboel is nog steeds koning en lyk in elk geval beter agter op 'n Hilux.... :angel:
Baasvark
Town: Virginia
Vehicle: '97 D/C with all the trimmings & 2011 Troopy

Post by Baasvark »

I used to be a registered boerboel breeder - love them! The only thing about the boels is their slobbering! Yes you get lines that don't slobber as much.
The other thing to look out for is hip problems. Make sure the breeder can produce a certificate showing both parents to be problem free.
Boerbiels are lovely animals .
My best guard dogs that I have ever had, however, have been german short haired pointers!
Very alert, intelligent and easy to housebreak!
Aint it ironic that "Common Sense" aint so common after all...
4x4BEES
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: Hilux 4.0V6

Post by 4x4BEES »

We have a Rottweiler, our first big, supposedly angry, monster of a dog.

He is very loving and also thinks he is a "skoothond" :lmao: :lmao:
He guards our property very well and people walk on the other side of the road.

Yet he is very playful with my son, 8yrs old, and loves to play ball and swim, a lot.
He was also very easy to train.
GI Jane
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Strand WC
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 4x4, 2.41t Raider 1998 DC - front & rear difflock, 140lt fuel tank, 31" BFG a/t, snorkel, drawer system, alucab canopy, driver with attitude.
Club VHF Licence: X112

Post by GI Jane »

Okay so me, one of the biggest boxer fan in the world, I think... There are so many dogs on rescue sites, that you could consider. I have just got my 4th rescue boxer, and he is the most amazing dog. He is 1 yr old, has lots of energy, but I know that he will start to calm down in about 10 yrs time (only joking), the first 2 yrs are the busiest. If you have had a boxer before, you understand the temperament so that is already half of the battle one... There are a number of amazing boxers on the boxer rescue website, so no need to go through the tough puppy stages.... https://www.facebook.com/BoxerRescueSouthAfrica" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, the boxer rescue website on facebook... have a look at those doggies looking for a new forever home, and tell me that, that does not want to make you rush out and get one, or more of them....

Look at that gorgeous face, don't you just want hundreds of them...
Tessa girl.jpg
(170.21 KiB) Downloaded 142 times
GI Jane
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 4x4, 2.41t Raider 1998 DC - front & rear difflock, 140lt fuel tank, 31" BFG a/t, snorkel, drawer system, alucab canopy, driver with attitude.

Post by GI Jane »

Also just wanted to add, when we walk our dogs, some people cross over to the other side of the street, and nobody stands close to our gate, also no intruders since we've had our boxers, they look mean.... but are fantastic with all children that have come to visit, including my 3 yr old granddaughter, no fear of them biting them at all, they can even take bones out of their mouth. In fact find the dogs quite protective of the children... Also wanted to add that if you have 2 boxers they require a little bit less attention, because they keep one another company, that is why I always try to ensure I have 2 or them...

Have just seen these two on the boxer rescue website...
11076246_953730207993847_8395579727374810926_n[1].jpg
11076246_953730207993847_8395579727374810926_n[1].jpg (23.76 KiB) Viewed 3339 times
and they are available in the western cape, so no flights necessary. Your 8 yr old is going to get a run for his money though. My new rescue at 1 yrs old, has got the 6 yr old running around again...
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy

Post by ChrisF »

Sounds like you need a Family Dog ....

We had a Labrador Doberman cross. BEST dog ever !!!!

With me she would be jumping like a spring buck and playing wildly ...

With my wife - she would lay down, put her head on my wife's lap and the two of them would sit like that for an hour or more .....

Sure she would have licked an intruder to death ... never found out as they never came close to our house.
raider
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by raider »

GI Jane wrote:Also just wanted to add, when we walk our dogs, some people cross over to the other side of the street, and nobody stands close to our gate, also no intruders since we've had our boxers, they look mean.... but are fantastic with all children that have come to visit, including my 3 yr old granddaughter, no fear of them biting them at all, they can even take bones out of their mouth. In fact find the dogs quite protective of the children... Also wanted to add that if you have 2 boxers they require a little bit less attention, because they keep one another company, that is why I always try to ensure I have 2 or them...

Have just seen these two on the boxer rescue website...
11076246_953730207993847_8395579727374810926_n[1].jpg
and they are available in the western cape, so no flights necessary. Your 8 yr old is going to get a run for his money though. My new rescue at 1 yrs old, has got the 6 yr old running around again...
Thanks GI Jane, I do get regular updates from that page as i "liked" it.

My reason for not wanting a white boxer is due to the fact that they are more prone to certain health issues and I have never been fond of white boxers. I do hope they find a loving home though.
raider
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by raider »

This is my boy. Took him to the vet in the week because he has gum disease were it grows over his teeth(common in boxers). The vet was shocked to hear his 8 years old. Still a healthy 34kg!
Attachments
Bonzo 3.jpg
(70.01 KiB) Downloaded 130 times
Bonzo 2.jpg
(37.76 KiB) Downloaded 130 times
Bonzo 1.jpg
(53.6 KiB) Downloaded 130 times
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

All Dogs are Family Dogs!

dog6.jpg

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

hansman
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: pretoria
Vehicle: hilux sfa

Post by hansman »

Hello
Bull terrier (varkhond) eet min "peop" min het min spasie nodig so taai soos n ratel en het nie rubbertande nie.Vreeslik lief vir kinders en sal hulle met sy lewe verdedig.Hulle blaf en raas ook nie hulle is nie kleurblind nie
Voor aftrede hulle geteel en kan nou nog oor hulle huil
Groete Hansman&Vaaltyn
Willem01
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Vehicle: het nie 1 nie

Post by Willem01 »

hansman wrote:Hello
Bull terrier (varkhond) eet min "peop" min het min spasie nodig so taai soos n ratel en het nie rubbertande nie.Vreeslik lief vir kinders en sal hulle met sy lewe verdedig.Hulle blaf en raas ook nie hulle is nie kleurblind nie
Groete Hansman&Vaaltyn
+1..huil ook nou nog oor myne..13 jaar oud kanker geval...
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

^^ +1. Jock was a beautiful reddish-brown bull terrier, got cancer of the esophagus (sp?) and had to have him put out. I really loved that dog.

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy

Post by ChrisF »

hansman wrote:Hello
Groete Hansman&Vaaltyn
Ek was 10 jaar oud toe my pa vir my n opreg geteelde een gekoop het

Lieflike hond !!!

paar maande later GESTEEL :cry:

Jare later n Beagle gekoop. Baie energie en mens moet stap met hulle. PUIK honde :cooldude:
GI Jane
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by GI Jane »

raider wrote:This is my boy. Took him to the vet in the week because he has gum disease were it grows over his teeth(common in boxers). The vet was shocked to hear his 8 years old. Still a healthy 34kg!
What a gorgeous boy you have there.. My last boy died of a heart attack at 12 yrs old. A good age for a boxer..... must say this 1 yr old I have just got has all of us on our toes, but so intelligent, and such a darling character... after a month almost totally settled in, but very busy... adorable loving character. Will post some pics when I resize them...
Toppie4x4
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Centurion
Vehicle: Hilux 4.0 V6 DC 4x4

Post by Toppie4x4 »

Ek soek net iets wat my kan wakker maak....................sal self die res doen :lol: :lol: :lol:
Attachments
Hilux Oubaas se Honne.jpg
(115.33 KiB) Downloaded 104 times
GI Jane
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by GI Jane »

Oh... sweet.... just an awesome face...

see that there is a huge demand for those 2 white boxer boys on the rescue page.... I am so happy. Sometimes the older dogs battle to find a new home.
GI Jane
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by GI Jane »

This is our new boy Max.... he was delivered to us with some battle scars, so he spent the first few weeks with stitches and that dreadful collar, and a few tubes from his stomach where some previous injuries and infections needed to be drained... He was like a bull in a china shop with that collar on. Poor Tessa and us, had to move out of his way quickly, and I had to move a lot of furniture out of the way, because he moves like lightening and could not judge what the collar would knock...
Max 1.jpg
Max 1.jpg (121.06 KiB) Viewed 3293 times
Max 2.jpg
(73.04 KiB) Downloaded 94 times
Max and Tessa.jpg
(142.15 KiB) Downloaded 94 times
It has taken us a number of months to find a new friend for Tessa after Jessie died in July....
chopper

Post by chopper »

What a beautiful animal!
Aquanaut
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Durban
Vehicle: Hilux 3.0D4D

Post by Aquanaut »

Kaaskrul wrote:

As hy daai dogmor poep los, staan jy op of vat jy maar net groot happe tot dit weg is :laugh2:
Ek hardloop ver weg!!!!

Return to “Open Discussion”