KZTE MOTOR/REPAIR OR REPLACE?

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Spade
Town: Boksburg
Vehicle: 2000 hilux

KZTE MOTOR/REPAIR OR REPLACE?

Post by Spade »

Need some advice,my kzte overheated a bit,a big bit.Now i want to know what would be the beter option do i fix the motor(dont know the extent of damage) do i get a replacement/import or do i go for a Lexus.What does it involve to replace with import motor and where do i get one so many to choose from but who can i trust.Then what is the pros and cons of the lexus and then i see there are some to choose from witch one is the beter option and then fuel consumption what am i looking at?
ôita
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Piet Retief
Vehicle: 1994 Toyota Hilux D/cab 4x4 SFA, 3RZ conversion,TrailGear Duel Transfercase with 4.7gear,Front & Rear Difflocks,2" Lift,OME & Mikem Suspention,Snorkel,L/R fuel tank, 32" M/T tyres, my son in the passenger seat

Re: KZTE MOTOR/REPAIR OR REPLACE?

Post by ôita »

I would get another engin from Japan auto trading swap it and keep the other for spares or sell it to recoup some of the money spent...you walk around and choose your own engin and for a extra buck ask them to show you the best one they dont show everyone...(so I was told by someone who did it )

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Xcover2
"Stronger than a New Zealand Kauri tree and, as we found out, virtually indestructible, the Hilux is an unapologetically manly car." - Top Gear Verdict
JohanW
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Strand
Vehicle: 2014 Land Cruiser 76 V8

Post by JohanW »

Get a import. Mine got new conrods, rings, head gasket, head skim plus pressure check. Cost round R10k. BUT to have the injector pump reconned will set me back R12k. So I should have just put in a new import when I did the first work.
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Velddrif
Vehicle: Triton 3.5l V6
Club VHF Licence: HC107

Post by george »

In the near future I will have the same issue. What everyone tells me is that to re-do a KZ properly is going to cost a lot.
You can also speak to these guys http://www.enginesandmore.co.za/ apparently they are quit good.
I called them and an import is 23k
"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.-Saint Augustine"
Spade
Town: Boksburg
Vehicle: 2000 hilux

Post by Spade »

It seems that the import is the way to go,repair is very costly and Lexus is very tempting but seems very costly even with the motor being cheep so import it shall be.Thanks for the response.
Scott
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: Hilux SFA

Post by Scott »

what are the symptoms oil in water etc to determine damage.
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

Nowadays there are not many people who can do a proper engine rebuild.
Taking your chance on a second hand import is just as big as taking a chance on a local rebuild.

Think the import is cheaper.

Import is a risk because it is a used engine and you do not know the millage or how the previous owner treated it... very much exactly like buying a second hand vehicle. If you are prepared to buy a second hand vehicle buying a second hand engine wont be a problem.
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

Oh ja and if you are concerned about the cost between rebuilding and buying an import, then a Lexus is definitely not your answer as cost will be far greater than any of the other 2.

If you buy an import you take the old engine out and replace with the new engine.
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
Hoppy
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Hilux SFA & IFS

Post by Hoppy »

The big problem in rebuilding is that all the aftermarket parts are chinese parts that has been reboxed into brand names we used to trust and has since been bought by the chinese or they simply can't compete with chinese prices and rebox it themselves. OE parts are so ridiculously expensive that a rebuild with OE parts are not cost efective. A good import motor is the better, faster and cheaper option. You can buy a Hilux with a lexus motor on Gumtree for cheaper than the conversion cost from someone that is gatvol.
aev@iburst.co.za
The trouble with trouble is...it always starts as fun.
The most precious jewels you will ever wear around your neck is the arms of your children...
" I WOULD RATHER SIT ON THE TAILGATE OF MY HILUX WITH A BEER AND A CHOP, WATCHING A FIRE, THAN DINE IN THE BEST RESTAURANT IN TOWN "

Return to “The Workshop”