The Importance of having an operational Engine Thermostat

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Dadz Toy BFI

The Importance of having an operational Engine Thermostat

Post by Dadz Toy BFI »

When we opened up my old 4Y's water pump outlet this is what we found :shock: :o: :o :?

(see photo)

Just the upper part of the thermostat remained to effect the O-ring seal :o:

(the body of the thermostat was totally absent - hence the motor had no functioning thermostat) :?

Which got me thinking:

what really is the function of an engine thermostat in a temperate climate like ours :?: :roll: :Geek:

Your feedback would be really appreciated guys :wink:

(this is a "thought provoking" any comment - "rather than give only the correct answer" welcome thread nê)

Rich
Attachments
Only the top half of the Engine Thermostat was in place
Only the top half of the Engine Thermostat was in place
Last edited by Dadz Toy BFI on Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:19 pm, edited 5 times in total.
CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Re: What is the role of an engine Thermostat in our Climate

Post by CasKru »

My guess would be that the engine gets to operating temperature quicker and if it's not installed you're engine will actually run cooler than supposed to...
To God be the glory
Riceburner
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: JHB
Vehicle: D2 V8

Re: What is the role of an engine Thermostat in our Climate

Post by Riceburner »

Engine gets to operating temp quicker if its installed. Thermostats keep your engines temp stable. If it runs too cold it will wear prematurely. It also gives the water time to cool down in the radiator. Thermostat is very important in hot and cold climates.
Spook
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Swakopmund
Vehicle: Hilux 4Y 4x4 s/cab, 3.0 D-4D

Re: Do we need an Engine Thermostat in a Temperate Climate?

Post by Spook »

As jy my raad vat, vervang daai termostaat met 'n nuwe Toyota genuine een want die termostaat in die 4Y is een wat baie styf is wat veroorsaak dat die enjin baie vinnig op werkstemperatuur kom vroeg in die oggend in die veld. Verder, waarom dink jy het hulle die kar ontwerp met 'n termostaat? 'n Te koue enjin slyt vinnger as een wat op die regte temperatuur hardloop. As jou kar warm word met 'n termostaat, soek die rede daarvoor by die regte plek en maak dit reg.
Dadz Toy BFI

Post by Dadz Toy BFI »

Spook wrote:As jy my raad vat, vervang daai termostaat met 'n nuwe Toyota genuine een want die termostaat in die 4Y is een wat baie styf is wat veroorsaak dat die enjin baie vinnig op werkstemperatuur kom vroeg in die oggend in die veld. Verder, waarom dink jy het hulle die kar ontwerp met 'n termostaat? 'n Te koue enjin slyt vinnger as een wat op die regte temperatuur hardloop. As jou kar warm word met 'n termostaat, soek die rede daarvoor by die regte plek en maak dit reg.
die translasie software can't help :oops: - can a human please help me verstaan (Ingels) :roll:

Dankie mense :wink:
CasKru

Post by CasKru »

Dadz Toy BFI wrote:
Spook wrote:As jy my raad vat, vervang daai termostaat met 'n nuwe Toyota genuine een want die termostaat in die 4Y is een wat baie styf is wat veroorsaak dat die enjin baie vinnig op werkstemperatuur kom vroeg in die oggend in die veld. Verder, waarom dink jy het hulle die kar ontwerp met 'n termostaat? 'n Te koue enjin slyt vinnger as een wat op die regte temperatuur hardloop. As jou kar warm word met 'n termostaat, soek die rede daarvoor by die regte plek en maak dit reg.
die translasie software can't help :oops: - can a human please help me verstaan (Ingels) :roll:

Dankie mense :wink:
I you take my advise... replace your thermostat with a new genuine Toyota one because the thermostat in the 4Y is very stiff which causes the engine to reach operating temperature very quickly early morning in the field. Further, why do you think cars were designed with a thermostat? A to cold engine wears quicker than one runnign at the correct temperature. I your car runs hot with a thermostat, find the reason in the right place and fix it.
To God be the glory
Dadz Toy BFI

Post by Dadz Toy BFI »

Thanks Casie

Think he was misunderstanding my predicament nê :?

I should have added that I bought a New Genuine Toyota Thermostat for the replacement Korean, I wasn't gonna risk that, no, no, no...:wink:

Thanks v.much vir die translasie mos :wink:
CasKru

Re: Y Do we need an Engine Thermostat in a Temperate Climate?

Post by CasKru »

Pleasure Rich... I'm also like that... when it comes to spares for my bakkies engine... only genuine Toyota parts will do :)
To God be the glory
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '96 D/C Raider

Post by BenHur »

Ha rich glad you remembered and followed my advice.

What Darryl said is very imported let me elaborate: Apart from regulating the temp so the engine does not run too cold in cool conditions, it restricts the flow of water. Without a thermostat the speed of the water increases with the speed of the engine because the pump runs faster. Then you get to a situation where the water gets pumped through the radiator so fast that their is no time for heat exchange so the water leaves the radiator at the same temperature in arrived at the radiator and no cooling takes place.
Dadz Toy BFI

Post by Dadz Toy BFI »

Aaaahaaaarr :P

Sommer nou makes a lot of sense mos :D:

Qu:

So do you think the absence of thermoset in my old motor contributed* to its demise :?:

(*In detail, 2000 words maximim, 50 Marks) :wink:

Rich
CasKru

Post by CasKru »

Dadz Toy BFI wrote:Aaaahaaaarr :P

Qu:

So do you think the absence of thermoset in my old motor contributed* to its demise :?:

Rich
Only one word needed..... yes! :evil:
To God be the glory
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by BenHur »

Dadz Toy BFI wrote:Aaaahaaaarr :P

Qu:

Rich
OK here goes
=========================================================================

Yes, for sure, most certainly, most probably, definitely, very likely, of course, undoubtedly, undeniably, unquestionably, indisputably, without a doubt, obviously, clearly, evidently, plainly, perceptibly, markedly, unmistakably, possibly , to be expected, apparent, plain as the nose on your face, or the hair on your back, as certain as death and taxes and Nissans being unreliable, as cetain as cape town has shyte weather, as certain as the Bulls is going to trash the Sharks, affirmative, all right, amen, aye, beyond a doubt, by all means, certainly, definitely, even so, exactly, fine, gladly, good, good enough, granted, indubitably, just so, most assuredly, naturally, of course, okay, positively, precisely, surely, sure thing, true, undoubtedly, unquestionably, very well, willingly, without fail, yea, yep, all righty then, certainly, dead sure, for a fact, for certain, for real, no doubt, no question, no two ways about it, really, sure thing, unquestionably, according to Hoyle, actual, appropriate, cooking with gas, dead on, equitable, factual, faithful, faultless, flawless, for sure, free of error, impeccable, just, legitimate, nice, okay, on target, on the ball, on the beam, on the button, on the money, on the nose, on track, perfect, precise, proper, regular, right, right as rain, righteous, right on, right stuff, rigorous, stone, strict, true, undistorted, unmistaken, veracious, veridical, absolutely, altogether, bang, carefully, completely, correctly, definitely, explicitly, expressly, faithfully, faultlessly, for a fact, for certain, for sure, indeed, in every respect, just, literally, methodically, no mistake, on the dot, on the money, on the nail, on the nose, positively, precisely, quite, right, rigorously, scrupulously, severely, sharp, specifically, square, strictly, the ticket, totally, truly, truthfully, unequivocally, unerringly, utterly, veraciously, wholly, spot on, on the dot, absolutely, assuredly, cert, exactly, for a fact, of course, positively, posolutely, geniune, right on, surely, unquestionably, without fail, Is the Sky Blue?, Is the bulls going to trash the sharkies on Saterday, Is EFI the best mod you ever did on your lux?, I think I am almost on two hundred words now, maybe I should copy and paste the same stuff over, I wonder if rich would notice? affirmative, all right, amen, aye, beyond a doubt, by all means, certainly, definitely, even so, exactly, fine, gladly, good, good enough, granted, indubitably, just so, most assuredly, naturally, of course, okay, positively, precisely, surely, sure thing, true, undoubtedly, unquestionably, very well, willingly, without fail, yea, yep, all righty then, certainly, dead sure, for a fact, for certain, for real, no doubt, no question, no two ways about it, really, sure thing, unquestionably, according to Hoyle, actual, appropriate, cooking with gas, dead on, equitable, factual, faithful, faultless, flawless, for sure, free of error, impeccable, just, legitimate, nice, okay, on target, on the ball, on the beam, on the button, on the money, on the nose, on track, perfect, precise, proper, regular, right, right as rain, righteous, right on, right stuff, rigorous, stone, strict, true, undistorted, unmistaken, veracious, veridical, absolutely, altogether, bang, carefully, completely, correctly, definitely, explicitly, expressly, faithfully, faultlessly, for a fact, for certain, for sure, indeed, in every respect, just, literally, methodically, no mistake, on the dot, on the money, on the nail, on the nose, ah five hundred and twenty words already maybe copy all again. affirmative, all right, amen, aye, beyond a doubt, by all means, certainly, definitely, even so, exactly, fine, gladly, good, good enough, granted, indubitably, just so, most assuredly, naturally, of course, okay, positively, precisely, surely, sure thing, true, undoubtedly, unquestionably, very well, willingly, without fail, yea, yep, all righty then, certainly, dead sure, for a fact, for certain, for real, no doubt, no question, no two ways about it, really, sure thing, unquestionably, according to Hoyle, actual, appropriate, cooking with gas, dead on, equitable, factual, faithful, faultless, flawless, for sure, free of error, impeccable, just, legitimate, nice, okay, on target, on the ball, on the beam, on the button, on the money, on the nose, on track, perfect, precise, proper, regular, right, right as rain, righteous, right on, right stuff, rigorous, stone, strict, true, undistorted, unmistaken, veracious, veridical, absolutely, altogether, bang, carefully, completely, correctly, definitely, explicitly, expressly, faithfully, faultlessly, for a fact, for certain, for sure, indeed, in every respect, just, literally, methodically, no mistake, on the dot, on the money, on the nail, on the nose, Yes, for sure, most certainly, most probably, definitely, very likely, of course, undoubtedly, undeniably, unquestionably, indisputably, without a doubt, obviously, clearly, evidently, plainly, perceptibly, markedly, unmistakably, possibly , to be expected, apparent, plain as the nose on your face, or the hair on your back, as certain as death and taxes and Nissans being unreliable, as cetain as cape town has shyte weather, as certain as the Bulls is going to trash the Sharks, affirmative, all right, amen, aye, beyond a doubt, by all means, certainly, definitely, even so, exactly, fine, gladly, good, good enough, granted, indubitably, just so, most assuredly, naturally, of course, okay, positively, precisely, surely, sure thing, true, undoubtedly, unquestionably, very well, willingly, without fail, yea, yep, all righty then, certainly, dead sure, for a fact, for certain, for real, no doubt, no question, no two ways about it, really, sure thing, unquestionably, according to Hoyle, actual, appropriate, cooking with gas, dead on, equitable, factual, faithful, faultless, flawless, for sure, free of error, impeccable, just, legitimate, nice, okay, on target, on the ball, on the beam, on the button, on the money, on the nose, on track, perfect, precise, proper, regular, right, right as rain, righteous, right on, right stuff, rigorous, stone, strict, true, undistorted, unmistaken, veracious, veridical, absolutely, altogether, bang, carefully, completely, correctly, definitely, explicitly, expressly, faithfully, faultlessly, for a fact, for certain, for sure, indeed, in every respect, just, literally, methodically, no mistake, on the dot, on the money, on the nail, on the nose, positively, precisely, quite, right, rigorously, scrupulously, severely, sharp, specifically, square, strictly, the ticket, totally, truly, truthfully, unequivocally, unerringly, utterly, veraciously, wholly, spot on, on the dot, absolutely, assuredly, cert, exactly, for a fact, of course, positively, posolutely, right on, surely, unquestionably, without fail, Is the Sky Blue?, Is the bulls going to trash the sharkies on Saterday, Is EFI the best mod you ever did on your lux? Thousand and twenty five words so far lets starts repeating again.Yes, for sure, most certainly, most probably, definitely, very likely, of course, undoubtedly, undeniably, unquestionably, indisputably, without a doubt, obviously, clearly, evidently, plainly, perceptibly, markedly, unmistakably, possibly , to be expected, apparent, plain as the nose on your face, or the hair on your back, as certain as death and taxes and Nissans being unreliable, as cetain as cape town has shyte weather, as certain as the Bulls is going to trash the Sharks, affirmative, all right, amen, aye, beyond a doubt, by all means, certainly, definitely, even so, exactly, fine, gladly, good, good enough, granted, indubitably, just so, most assuredly, naturally, of course, okay, positively, precisely, surely, sure thing, true, undoubtedly, unquestionably, very well, willingly, without fail, yea, yep, all righty then, certainly, dead sure, for a fact, for certain, for real, no doubt, no question, no two ways about it, really, sure thing, unquestionably, according to Hoyle, actual, appropriate, cooking with gas, dead on, equitable, factual, faithful, faultless, flawless, for sure, free of error, impeccable, just, legitimate, nice, okay, on target, on the ball, on the beam, on the button, on the money, on the nose, on track, perfect, precise, proper, regular, right, right as rain, righteous, right on, right stuff, rigorous, stone, strict, true, undistorted, unmistaken, veracious, veridical, absolutely, altogether, bang, carefully, completely, correctly, definitely, explicitly, expressly, faithfully, faultlessly, for a fact, for certain, for sure, indeed, in every respect, just, literally, methodically, no mistake, on the dot, on the money, on the nail, on the nose, positively, precisely, quite, right, rigorously, scrupulously, severely, sharp, specifically, square, strictly, the ticket, totally, truly, truthfully, unequivocally, unerringly, utterly, veraciously, wholly, spot on, on the dot, absolutely, assuredly, cert, exactly, for a fact, of course, positively, posolutely, right on, surely, unquestionably, without fail, Is the Sky Blue?, Is the bulls going to trash the sharkies on Saterday, Is EFI the best mod you ever did on your lux?, I think I am almost on two hundred words now, maybe I should copy and paste the same stuff over, I wonder if rich would notice? affirmative, all right, amen, aye, beyond a doubt, by all means, certainly, definitely, even so, exactly, fine, gladly, good, good enough, granted, indubitably, just so, most assuredly, naturally, of course, okay, positively, precisely, surely, sure thing, true, undoubtedly, unquestionably, very well, willingly, without fail, yea, yep, all righty then, certainly, dead sure, for a fact, for certain, for real, no doubt, no question, no two ways about it, really, sure thing, unquestionably, according to Hoyle, actual, appropriate, cooking with gas, dead on, equitable, factual, faithful, faultless, flawless, for sure, free of error, impeccable, just, legitimate, nice, okay, on target, on the ball, on the beam, on the button, on the money, on the nose, on track, perfect, precise, proper, regular, right, right as rain, righteous, right on, right stuff, rigorous, stone, strict, true, undistorted, unmistaken, veracious, veridical, absolutely, altogether, bang, carefully, completely, correctly, definitely, explicitly, expressly, faithfully, faultlessly, for a fact, for certain, for sure, indeed, in every respect, just, literally, methodically, no mistake, on the dot, on the money, on the nail, on the nose, ah five hundred and twenty words already maybe copy all again. affirmative, all right, amen, aye, beyond a doubt, by all means, certainly, definitely, even so, exactly, fine, gladly, good, good enough, granted, indubitably, just so, most assuredly, naturally, of course, okay, positively, precisely, surely, sure thing, true, undoubtedly, unquestionably, very well, willingly, without fail, yea, yep, all righty then, certainly, dead sure, for a fact, for certain, for real, no doubt, no question, no two ways about it, really, sure thing, unquestionably, according to Hoyle, actual, appropriate, cooking with gas, dead on, equitable, factual, faithful, faultless, flawless, for sure, free of error, impeccable, just, legitimate, nice, okay, on target, on the ball, on the beam, on the button, on the money, on the nose, on track, perfect, precise, proper, regular, right, right as rain, righteous, right on, right stuff, rigorous, stone, strict, true, undistorted, unmistaken, veracious, veridical, absolutely, altogether, bang, carefully, completely, correctly, definitely, explicitly, expressly, faithfully, faultlessly, for a fact, for certain, for sure, indeed, in every respect, just, literally, methodically, no mistake, on the dot, on the money, on the nail, on the nose, Yes, for sure, most certainly, most probably, definitely, very likely, of course, undoubtedly, undeniably, unquestionably, indisputably, without a doubt, obviously, clearly, evidently, plainly, perceptibly, markedly, unmistakably, possibly , to be expected, apparent, plain as the nose on your face, or the hair on your back, as certain as death and taxes and Nissans being unreliable, as cetain as cape town has shyte weather, as certain as the Bulls is going to trash the Sharks, affirmative, all right, amen, aye, beyond a doubt, by all means, certainly, definitely, even so, exactly, fine, gladly, good, good enough, granted, indubitably, just so, most assuredly, naturally, of course, okay, positively, precisely, surely, sure thing, true, undoubtedly, unquestionably, very well, willingly, without fail, yea, yep, all righty then, certainly, dead sure, for a fact, for certain, for real, no doubt, no question, bang, carefully, completely, correctly, definitely, explicitly, expressly, faithfully, faultlessly, for a fact, for certain, for sure, indeed, in every respect, just, literally, methodically, no mistake, on the dot, on the money, on the nail, on the nose, positively, precisely, quite, right, rigorously, scrupulously, severely, sharp, specifically, square, strictly, the ticket, totally, truly, truthfully, unequivocally, unerringly, utterly, veraciously, wholly, spot on, on the dot, absolutely, assuredly, cert, exactly, for a fact, of course, positively, posolutely, right on, surely, unquestionably, without fail, Is the Sky Blue?, Is the bulls going to trash the sharkies on Saterday, Is EFI the best mod you ever did on your lux? If you now count the words you will realise it is two thousand words exactly.

=========================================================================
Try reading that aloud in one breath :twisted: :twisted:
ThysdJ
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Re: The Importance of having an operational Engine Thermostat

Post by ThysdJ »

Jy het hopeloos te veel tyd om *a* uit te dink my bra!!
You have hopelessly too much time to think out *hi*, my braziere!!
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
Scorpion
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Emmarentia
Vehicle: 1988 Hilux 4x4 D/C with more attitude than Mike Tyson

Post by Scorpion »

You have way too much time on your hands, Bennie! Rather go spend it on your red lorrie... :twisted:
1988 Hilex D/C 4x4 (Import spec), Lexus V8; Marlin Crawler; Custom Suspension: front and new 4 link in the rear; Disc Brake conversion rear; 35" Cooper STT tyres; Xenon lights; Custom bullbar;Next? Aircon; new front seats, redo the whole interior in nice soft leather, Respray, Double Lockers
1978 Land Cruiser HJ45
1971 Mercedes Benz 280S Automatic
2011 Land Cruiser 79 V6 (60th Anniversary Edition)
Dadz Toy BFI

Post by Dadz Toy BFI »

Full Marks Scholar Bennie :P

You are nou a Fully Fledged Mighty Blou Bull Bloke :D:

Rich :wink:
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

It's not two thousand words. :o:
1999 Words.jpg

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

Dadz Toy BFI

Post by Dadz Toy BFI »

Family_BullDog wrote:It's not two thousand words. :o:
1999 Words.jpg

-F_D
Busted

SEE ME! Master Hurter
Scorpion
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Emmarentia
Vehicle: 1988 Hilux 4x4 D/C with more attitude than Mike Tyson

Post by Scorpion »

Dadz Toy BFI wrote:
Family_BullDog wrote:It's not two thousand words. :o:

-F_D
Busted
Standard Blue Bull Practise... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
1988 Hilex D/C 4x4 (Import spec), Lexus V8; Marlin Crawler; Custom Suspension: front and new 4 link in the rear; Disc Brake conversion rear; 35" Cooper STT tyres; Xenon lights; Custom bullbar;Next? Aircon; new front seats, redo the whole interior in nice soft leather, Respray, Double Lockers
1978 Land Cruiser HJ45
1971 Mercedes Benz 280S Automatic
2011 Land Cruiser 79 V6 (60th Anniversary Edition)
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by BenHur »

Nope Eric you must have miscopied a word somewhere when you transfered it to MSword as I also counted it the same way you did and mine said 2000 words. Test it again. Soos ek jou gesê het age vang op met jou :shock: :shock: :shock:
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by BenHur »

Scorpion wrote:You have way too much time on your hands, Bennie! Rather go spend it on your red lorrie... :twisted:
Kaspaas wrote:Jy het hopeloos te veel tyd om *a* uit te dink my bra!!
You have hopelessly too much time to think out *hi*, my braziere!!
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

The Internet is your friend :wink:
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

BenHur wrote:Nope Eric you must have miscopied a word somewhere when you transfered it to MSword as I also counted it the same way you did and mine said 2000 words. Test it again. Soos ek jou gesê het age vang op met jou :shock: :shock: :shock:
Sneaking an extra word in now after I did the count is not very PC.... :mrgreen:

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

Dadz Toy BFI

Post by Dadz Toy BFI »

I'm gonna jump up and give him a Fatklap across his knee caps when I see him next Eric :P
CasKru

Post by CasKru »

Family_BullDog wrote:
BenHur wrote:Nope Eric you must have miscopied a word somewhere when you transfered it to MSword as I also counted it the same way you did and mine said 2000 words. Test it again. Soos ek jou gesê het age vang op met jou :shock: :shock: :shock:
Sneaking an extra word in now after I did the count is not very PC.... :mrgreen:
-F_D
Typical blue bull tactic Eric....

That is a yellow card for mr Hurter
To God be the glory
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by BenHur »

ImageImageImage