mods for a Toyota hilux raider

Discuss modifications on your 1979 to late 1998 SFA 4x4 Hilux here.
rhodieboy
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Harare
Vehicle: isuzu kb 280

mods for a Toyota hilux raider

Post by rhodieboy »

Hey guys am looking to get a single cab toyota hilux raider 4×4 from around 1995, probably a 2.2 petrol I.e the 4y motor but will see what I can find. Was wondering about what mods you guys suggest to make this into the ultimate off road, farm and hunting vehicle ? I was thinking ;
ARB bullbar with warne winch (strength ? Not sure what you guys think ? ) as well as a back winch for loading
Raising it also don't know too much about this aspect
lightweight hunting frame and seat with a mounting for at least 1 spare wheel in the bin as well as a gun rack. Materials for the frame or manufacturers anyone can recommend ?
A big tool box for equipment etc on the back
safari snorkel
Am undecided on a roof rack
spotlights on the front bumper.
All that I can come up with :P what do you guys think and recommend ? Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks in advance
:thumbup:
Baasvark
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Virginia
Vehicle: '97 D/C with all the trimmings & 2011 Troopy

Re: mods for a Toyota hilux raider

Post by Baasvark »

Rhodie you seem to have it all covered :)
Aint it ironic that "Common Sense" aint so common after all...
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

These vehicles in standard guise are already awesome off-roaders, so not much in the way of mods is necessary. First thing I would look at is replacing the suspension with an Old Man Emu kit - pricey, but it's the single most important mod you can do. It will give you a fairly raised ride height, improving approach, departure and break-over angles. The much improved articulation will help keeping all four feet on the ground, this improving traction.

Still on the subject of traction, the next thing is the tyres. A decent set of all terrain or mud terrain shoes make a huge difference. 31" Tyres are best suited - anything bigger and you start looking at further mods to accommodate them and avoid body fouling (i.e. an axle shift). 33" tyres will also rob the motor of power, so it won't be long before you'll be looking at a motor conversion. All in all it becomes a costly exercise if you go bigger than 31".

Winches are really more wants than needs - you can manage without them although a small rear winch for loading heavy carcasses is justified (I do it with a small hand winch, but I'm a recreational hunter).

The hunting frame will be an important bit of kit for you, so research it IRO your envisaged needs and buy after-market or make it up yourself accordingly.

More than that you don't need, at least not for a starting point. Once you get 'into' it you can make a more informed decision on further mods that are relevant to your needs. There's no doubt that you can throw a ton of money into modifications, some of which you will probably never benefit from, but there's equally no doubt that you will not recover anywhere near a fair compensation for those mods if you sell the vehicle. You just have to be practical about it.

:winkx:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
rhodieboy
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by rhodieboy »

Thanks Andy very true about the last bit budget is sort of an issue so yeah definitely should be practical about it. ;)
I agree also once I start using it I can see what I need to do and what I want to do. How much are you looking at for that old man emu kit ? Haha I hope so baasvark :)
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

rhodieboy wrote:Thanks Andy ....... How much are you looking at for that old man emu kit ?
Last time I checked it was in the region of R19,000

You can get cheaper, but IMO not the same quality. The Mikem kit is also pretty good and being a local RSA product is a lot cheaper.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Haboob
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: King Williams Town
Vehicle: Hilux
Club VHF Licence: HC129

Post by Haboob »

Don't overspend as you will not recover your money, but buy what you need, as Andy says...
HABOOB means "Dust Storm"
rhodieboy
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by rhodieboy »

Last time I checked it was in the region of R19,000

You can get cheaper, but IMO not the same quality. The Mikem kit is also pretty good and being a local RSA product is a lot cheaper.[/quote]

Thanks Edge and Andy I agree with you guys definitely don't want to overspend but don't want to buy cheap and nasty either.
how much is the Mikem kit as R 19 000 is a little bit much.
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Open to correction, but I think Mikem is in the region of about R12k ..... not sure if that includes a set of shocks as well, but the OME kit is normally with OME shocks. :think:

rhodieboy
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by rhodieboy »

Mud Dog wrote:Open to correction, but I think Mikem is in the region of about R12k ..... not sure if that includes a set of shocks as well, but the OME kit is normally with OME shocks. :think:
Ok if it doesn't include the shocks then the not far off but if they good quality and you can save abit hey why not. Do you mind if I ask what you everyone including yourself uses ?
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

A lot of the guys here on the forum use Mikem because of the cost factor and because their service is outstanding. Daryl from Mikem is also a member here.

Procomp are also good.

I currently have Dobinsons which was fitted before I bought the vehicle. I find it to be 'sort of OK' but not near as good as Old Man Emu which I've had before. I have been of the intention to change the Dobinsons for OME but have never got around to it yet.

Just as a footnote, the standard suspension is not great and the front tends to sag to the point that the bow in the leaf packs become inverted, so swapping it out for something decent is a priority.

:winkx:

rhodieboy
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by rhodieboy »

Oh ok I never knew about the standard suspension doing that so yes replacIng it is definitely a priority like you've said then probably one of the first things I'll do. Guess ive got a lot of research to start doing. :D: . Does anyone recommend split rim tyres for off road ?
Thunder02
Town: East Rand
Vehicle: IFS Hilux
Club VHF Licence: HC105

Post by Thunder02 »

Hi, also have a look at 4x4 Direct's website, plenty of items for sale, from lights to switches and Snorkels.
Not all those who wander are lost!

Scout motto:be prepared....
www.4x4direct.co.za
Email: boksburg@4x4direct.co.za
IFS is like a swambo, soft, sexy and expensive!
Haboob
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: King Williams Town
Vehicle: Hilux
Club VHF Licence: HC129

Post by Haboob »

Thomas, use what you have till you experience problems or until you need something better.
HABOOB means "Dust Storm"
rhodieboy
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by rhodieboy »

Thanks Neil will do :thumbup: ok good idea thanks Edge
The Legend
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Kempton Park
Vehicle: 1994 2.2 4y 4x4 D/C Toyota Hi-Lux
Club VHF Licence: X93-

Post by The Legend »

No problems with my Mikem syspension.Very happy with it.
“A BAD DAYS FISHING IS BETTER THAN A GOOD DAYS WORK”

“Do what you do so well, that the people that see you do it, will want to see you do it again,and will bring others to see you do it”
rhodieboy
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by rhodieboy »

Thanks Dawie always good to here good feedback about something you looking into
BulletProof
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 1998 Hilux SFA 2400 22R

Post by BulletProof »

While were on the topic of Mods, any contacts for guys that can do a decent job with dual battery systems and long range tanks?
4x4BEES
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: Hilux 4.0V6

Post by 4x4BEES »

Francois at 4xLux does dual battery installations and he is in Brackenfell.

He is also member here on the forum and club 072 four 24 05 zero zero

Return to “1979 to early 1998 Hilux (Gen 3&4 aka SFA 4x4)”